Got my MRI test results back

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My lower back has been a serious problem for about 3 years now. I can no longer due deadlifts and my chiropractor says I should never be squatting again either.

My mri says I have 3 bulging disc L3, L4, L5, and also and a loss of water content in all 3 disc. Anyone have similar problem, how did you get over it? Does this mean I should stop squatting? Feedback.

beallio

beallio

Awards
Sounds like the same injury that caused me to forego a career in a certain American pasttime involving large individuals colliding into each other every 30 secs.

I also have/had a congenital narrowing of the spinal column and a cracked vertabra to boot.

Just last night I was doing RDLs at 335, so there is hope. Don't despair! Needless to say I don't do deads anymore, still back sqaut (albeit lighter), and still do heavy front squats. I believe it's all in what your comfortable with.

For me it took some time off from anything heavy lowerbody training (read: lots of body weight trainging), TONS of core and stability work, and losing weight (at the time I was 325, playing weight). Too this day, I maintain core and rehab training intergral in my training.

Number one rule: Listen to your body, and swallow your pride. You don't want to end up in a situation that severly hampers you down the line. (Side note: I was too the point of losing feeling in my legs...). Lift smart, and be cautious.

The doctors also told me I should never squat again, but then again if I listened to them all the time I would have missed out on some great opportunities. To each their own, and good luck.