Gordon Bennets Workout Log Adventure

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
So, this is my first workout log shared publicly. I do track my workouts and now I have been encouraged to share with you. I'm a bit nervous as to what may come out of this but it's all in good faith. I'm actually looking forward to it now. Feels like I've spent years at the gym but somehow only just getting started.

So here we go...

36yo M
5'9"
189 lbs (86.7kg)
~16-18% BF

Training but not consistently since 18 yo.
Used DBol and Anadrol at 23 yo - big mistake, didnt know about ancilleries or PCT.
Used Test and Var last year and stopped mid cycle for family planning.

Discipline can waver, my mind set is very all or nothing, so I've had spouts of training and not. I dont play sport regularly but do get around walking and some outdoors kayaking. Not often - my back hates kayaking.

Goals: To keep getter bigger (no set weight) and stay fairly lean. ~15% BF. Bulk / Cut rinse repeat jobby.

Current plan: to drop down to around 10% BF. This has been estimated around 170lbs.

Leading up to this I spent 9 weeks of bulking going from around ~165lbs to 189lbs.

Push / Pull / Legs&abs&Shoulders

Keep it within an hr.
Walk to and from gym. ~10k steps a day.

This phase started in August in an outdoor gym, using the pull up bars and do SEAL burpees and general bodyweight circuits to build strength and mobility up post back injury.

Injury: ongoing lumbar back issues. Most recent episode being the worst end of March. Muscle spasm - i was in bed for 4 days unable to get up so had 2 weeks off work for that. Still have issues with tightness, mobility and this has had an impact on what lifts i do.
Will pay for a private scan soon to address this but long and short, some days it's no bother, other days it's a real problem.

No deadlifts
No squats
No stretched out arm heavy rows
Hyper extensions tend to be iffy and can aggravate so dont bother with those now.

Looking forward to what comes to light on this. Atm I really can't risk my back going from doing these exercises wrong. I do them in the past, get over confident and then twinge it.

Supps:
C4 pre workout
Magnesium 450mg at night for restless leg syndrome
Omega 3 high EPA / DHA 1000mg
MK 677 - dropping this now as cutting calories down.

Will post today's workout shortly and maybe the previous few days to show a full PPL set of typical sessions and weights.

Ta everyone.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
Today's workout

Chest and Tris -
You'll notice I'm not bench pressing at the moment. I like to use a spotter and had a dodgy moment where I couldn't get the weight off my chest so shying away for a bit.

FitNotes Workout - Friday 17th November 2023

**Chest Press Plate Machine 35 degree Grip **
- 120.0 kgs x 11 reps - PB 🏆
- 120.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 100.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 80.0 kgs x 7 reps
- 60.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 40.0 kgs x 15 reps
- 40.0 kgs x 15 reps

** Converging Chest Press Machine **
- 93.0 kgs x 5 reps
- 73.0 kgs x 15 reps
- 79.0 kgs x 9 reps

** Pectoral Fly Machine **
- 86.0 kgs x 15 reps
- 93.0 kgs x 8 reps
- 86.0 kgs x 9 reps
- 86.0 kgs x 7 reps
-------------
SUPERSET
** Rope Push Down **
- 18.0 kgs x 15 reps
- 18.0 kgs x 15 reps

** Parallel Bar Triceps Dip **
- 6 reps
- 5 reps
--------------
** One Arm Cable Pull Down - No Handle **
- 7.9 kgs x 15 reps
- 10.2 kgs x 12 reps - PB 🏆
- 10.2 kgs x 12 reps

Last edited:
akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Welcome and congrats on starting a log! It will help keep you motivated and on track!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I have a tendency to injure my lower back deadlifting, i did it recently. Ive got a lot out of weighted chin and pull up variations and chest supported db rows on pull days. Those 2 seem to always be pain free, il usually throw in a cable pullover and a chest supported machine exercise to finish it off if im doing a actual back day. Just some thoughts. Even if you cant use signigicant weight you can still spend a lot of time and reps learning to control and connect with exercises better and thats gonna help long term.

My shoulders wents from blah to my best bodypart during a injury where i had to really find alternate ways to build them back up.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
I have a tendency to injure my lower back deadlifting, i did it recently. Ive got a lot out of weighted chin and pull up variations and chest supported db rows on pull days. Those 2 seem to always be pain free, il usually throw in a cable pullover and a chest supported machine exercise to finish it off if im doing a actual back day. Just some thoughts. Even if you cant use signigicant weight you can still spend a lot of time and reps learning to control and connect with exercises better and thats gonna help long term.

My shoulders wents from blah to my best bodypart during a injury where i had to really find alternate ways to build them back up.
Yeah Im on the rows, with less of a stretch to reach the handles, that's where it tugs. I laid off the Lat pulldowns for a long time but I'm back at these, a fav exercise of mine. For the last 4 or so weeks I was doing biceps first and then going really light on back and still felt aggravation so it's taken a while to find the groove and now back as 1st on the agenda again, so has likely suffered, but strength is improving vastly and form stays tight.

Did you still aim for the normal range of sets per week for shoulders?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yeah Im on the rows, with less of a stretch to reach the handles, that's where it tugs. I laid off the Lat pulldowns for a long time but I'm back at these, a fav exercise of mine. For the last 4 or so weeks I was doing biceps first and then going really light on back and still felt aggravation so it's taken a while to find the groove and now back as 1st on the agenda again, so has likely suffered, but strength is improving vastly and form stays tight.

Did you still aim for the normal range of sets per week for shoulders?
When my shoulders were injured i was doing a lot of the rotator cuff stuff you would see done for rehab, 3-4 sets of 15-20 with never higher then a 7.5lb db, mostly 5's.

At first i could only do side laterals pain free so yes, my normal shoulder workout might had been 3 exercises for 3-4 sets each so i would just do 10-12 sets of side laterals mixed into push day. All pressing for chest switched to inclind db mostly until eventually my whole shoulder workout was side laterals and seated db press with the back supported. Then i started doing it 2x a week and eventually 3x week. I definately think shoulders need high reps and high frequency.

Now that thete a strong point i just do a ohp, side laterals and a behind the neck press mixed inbetween chest and tris on push day

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
FitNotes Workout - Saturday 18th November 2023

Abs Shoulders Legs

** Crunch Machine **
- 150.0 lbs x 17 reps
- 160.0 lbs x 11 reps
- 160.0 lbs x 4 reps
- 150.0 lbs x 8 reps

** RKC Plank **
- 00:20 Sec
- 00:20 sec

** Converging Shoulder Press **
- 110.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 110.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 6 reps

** Lateral Dumbbell Raise **
- 13.0 lbs x 2Machine
didnt feel right. Felt like I either wasn't warm enough in the joint or overdone from previous so skipped.

** Lateral Machine Raise **
- 20.0 lbs x 15 reps
This machine was meant to take the above place but the motion of the machine kept sticking and leaving the weight half way on the glider. So skipped that too
** Rear Delt Dumbbell Raise **
- 26.46 lbs x 15 reps
- 30.86 lbs x 15 reps
- 35.27 lbs x 15 reps
- 39.68 lbs x 12 reps

** Shoulder Plate Machine Shrug **
- 396.83 lbs x 15 reps
- 418.88 lbs x 7 reps
- 396.83 lbs x 7 reps

** Leg Extension Machine **
- 160.94 lbs x 13 reps
- 114.64 lbs x 20 reps
- 114.64 lbs x 10 reps
- 130.07 lbs x 20 reps

** Calf Press Machine **
- 205.03 lbs x 20 reps
- 205.03 lbs x 17 reps
- 205.03 lbs x 18 reps

** Single Leg Calf Raise **
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps

** Lying Leg Curl Machine **
- 130.07 lbs x 10 reps
- 119.05 lbs x 8 reps
- 110.23 lbs x 8 reps

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Your supplement stack is pretty mild, if you get a hankering to juice it up some, check out SNS stuff, I moved from C4 to pump addict and loved it.

I also really like the magnesium from ZMA for sleep aid but sometimes hit a 10mg melatonin instead.

What's the rest of your session like when you hit abs hard first? I almost never work abs anymore but if I do, they're always last for me. Sorta like kettlebell arm bars or any prehab work.

With your back busted up, can you do light RDLs from a rack position (like knee high) instead of full ROM deadlifts?

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
I am on the look out for an upgrade on the C4 tbf. I used NO-Xplode many moons ago (15 yrs ago maybe) and that stuff was intense, and too sweet. Around that time I also was encouraged to get hold of GABA. A small scoop of that before bed gets the spine tingling in your neck. Still got some left lol. Also got Melatonin which I really do like but can make me quite drowsy in the morning, think you need to be well hydrated for it, almost feels like a hangover.

What's the rest of your session like when you hit abs hard first?
Tbh, by the time I get to legs I'm a bit gassed. Legs don't get as much attention as so many exercises exert pressure on the lumbar spine. Even dumbbell lunges give me grief. As I said some days the back acts as if it's fine, and I do believe Deca has offered it some relief too, partly why I chose it. But I'd prioritised abs as they were really weak and wanted I to thicken them up.

As far as the RDL's, I used to do these before my recent injury/episode. I didn't consider using a rack of sorts to reduce the ROM/strain. I'll swap that in somewhere. This day probably has the most exercises and takes the longest, I almost treat it like a mop up day.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
Back and Bi's today.
Took 1hr 15m way longer than I'd like. Ideally I'd like to walk to and from gym 10min each way, hard hill on way back up. Incl the gym sesh all in an hr. Just to fit in with work when gyms less busy.

Bear in mind I drove today, so that was the whole time in gym.

FitNotes Workout - Sunday 19th November 2023

** Lat Pulldown **
- 189.6 lbs x 14 reps PB 🏆
- 189.6 lbs x 5 reps
- 160.94 lbs x 8 reps
- 145.5 lbs x 6 reps

** Inverted Bodyweight Row **
- 13 reps
- 9 reps
- 7 reps

** One Arm Lat Pulldown **
- 55.12 lbs x 15 reps
- 70.55 lbs x 3 reps PB 🏆
- 55.12 lbs x 7 reps
- 39.68 lbs x 20 reps

** Seated Machine Curl **
- 110.23 lbs x 16 reps
- 119.05 lbs x 9 reps
- 119.05 lbs x 6 reps

** Dumbbell Concentration Curl **
- 17.64 lbs x 12 reps
- 22.05 lbs x 12 reps
- 26.46 lbs x 10 reps
- 30.86 lbs x 6 reps PB 🏆

** 21s **
- 52.47 lbs x 21 reps PB 🏆
- 57.54 lbs x 20 reps

** Cable Curl **
- 42.55 lbs x 12 reps

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How long do you rest between sets and how close to failure are some of them? Just wondering because there are some pretty big drops in reps on some of the sets with the same weight.

Glad you are off to a consistent start tho.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
How long do you rest between sets and how close to failure are some of them? Just wondering because there are some pretty big drops in reps on some of the sets with the same weight.

Glad you are off to a consistent start tho.
What I tend to do is if I can do 15 reps I up the weight for the next set. Sometimes when I up the weight I can only do about 3 reps which I think happened today on the single arm pull downs.

I'm not timing my rest tbh but I think it's probably around 2min. Looks like it'd take 42 min to do that sesh with 2 min rest between sets and I was in there for 30min longer than that. No chit chat.

The low rep ranges below 6 won't be to failure as I know I need to save myself for a weight I can hit 8 reps for.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What I tend to do is if I can do 15 reps I up the weight for the next set. Sometimes when I up the weight I can only do about 3 reps which I think happened today on the single arm pull downs.

I'm not timing my rest tbh but I think it's probably around 2min. Looks like it'd take 42 min to do that sesh with 2 min rest between sets and I was in there for 30min longer than that. No chit chat.

The low rep ranges below 6 won't be to failure as I know I need to save myself for a weight I can hit 8 reps for.
I tend to drop a rep or two for every 10lb I go up in working weight. Try setting a timer for 90 sec to 2 min between sets just to keep yourself on point w rest period. Are these sets you listed including warmup weight and acclimation sets?

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
21’s. I haven’t done those in a long time but great way to smoke those bi’s(biceps just to clarify🤪)

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
I tend to drop a rep or two for every 10lb I go up in working weight. Try setting a timer for 90 sec to 2 min between sets just to keep yourself on point w rest period. Are these sets you listed including warmup weight and acclimation sets?
These don't include warm up sets. I did warm up on lats at a really low weight that feels like you could seemingly go on forever. I'll stop when I feel some effort starting to go in. So that would be around 30 kg/60lbs, nice and controlled to get the blood moving. Biceps a quick warm up set just so I don't tear anything as that curling machine curling is incredibly heavy for what Im used to. About 9 weeks ago I was on 27kg for 10 reps, now I'm on 59kg for 10-12 if I'm rested and haven't done back first.

I'll start setting a timer, I just used to go with what felt like I had sufficient rest to recover and go again. I waited a while between finishing back and going into biceps. I want the pump to go down as my forearms were so swollen i couldn't squeeze my fists properly.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You don’t need to specifically track your rest unless you are following it for a specific reason. Longer rest periods lead to greater improvements in performance (reps in a set) and therefore hypertrophy.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am on the look out for an upgrade on the C4 tbf. I used NO-Xplode many moons ago (15 yrs ago maybe) and that stuff was intense, and too sweet. Around that time I also was encouraged to get hold of GABA. A small scoop of that before bed gets the spine tingling in your neck. Still got some left lol. Also got Melatonin which I really do like but can make me quite drowsy in the morning, think you need to be well hydrated for it, almost feels like a hangover.

Tbh, by the time I get to legs I'm a bit gassed. Legs don't get as much attention as so many exercises exert pressure on the lumbar spine. Even dumbbell lunges give me grief. As I said some days the back acts as if it's fine, and I do believe Deca has offered it some relief too, partly why I chose it. But I'd prioritised abs as they were really weak and wanted I to thicken them up.

As far as the RDL's, I used to do these before my recent injury/episode. I didn't consider using a rack of sorts to reduce the ROM/strain. I'll swap that in somewhere. This day probably has the most exercises and takes the longest, I almost treat it like a mop up day.
OG NO-xplode was the bomb. I used that along with cellmass. Loved the taste, was like cherry sherbet or something. I think it had dmaa in it. Ah the good old days.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
OG NO-xplode was the bomb. I used that along with cellmass. Loved the taste, was like cherry sherbet or something. I think it had dmaa in it. Ah the good old days.
Oh man those NO explode and cell mass with the Ronnie ads. 😂

No dmaa in the OG. It was just a crap ton of caffeine per scoop a bunch of taurine and vinpocetine (and other vinca alkaloids I think?). Hard to know with all the prop blends back then though.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
Not sure the etiquette on nutrition in this log but just to note.

I've been on 4k calories since 10th Nov, and then dropped to 3.5k cals 17th Nov. Then I camo this forum and was advised to change my plan to cut rather than bulk. Plan to keep dropping cals slowly either weekly or bi-weekly. So am expecting PB's to start dropping off. Using mirror and pics as reference rather than relying on scales too much. But will also weigh anyway. I think 4k was probably way beyond my 500cal surplus. But I did it anyway because I'm an inpatient SOAB.

Always keeping protein high, for now will just eat less, rather than completely shutting carbs down. I expect when I get closer to 2k calories, that's when cutting carbs back will help.

Rather than going gun-ho, I'm taking small measures at a time, to support making the most of cutting to around 10% BF. Hopefully that will leave me enough techniques through the next months to keep adding tools to support meeting the goal.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Not sure the etiquette on nutrition in this log but just to note.

I've been on 4k calories since 10th Nov, and then dropped to 3.5k cals 17th Nov. Then I camo this forum and was advised to change my plan to cut rather than bulk. Plan to keep dropping cals slowly either weekly or bi-weekly. So am expecting PB's to start dropping off. Using mirror and pics as reference rather than relying on scales too much. But will also weigh anyway. I think 4k was probably way beyond my 500cal surplus. But I did it anyway because I'm an inpatient SOAB.

Always keeping protein high, for now will just eat less, rather than completely shutting carbs down. I expect when I get closer to 2k calories, that's when cutting carbs back will help.

Rather than going gun-ho, I'm taking small measures at a time, to support making the most of cutting to around 10% BF. Hopefully that will leave me enough techniques through the next months to keep adding tools to support meeting the goal.
I wouldn’t fixate too much on dropping calories every week. These are all hypothetical numbers…..
Say you were at 4000 cals and weight is staying same, you drop to 3500-3700 cals and see a 1.5lb per week drop, ride that out until you don’t drop weight for an entire week. Then drop another 300-500 cals or add more cardio. I remember you normally walk to the gym but last week there was a day you drove. But you spent more time one the weights. So you deprived yourself of 20 min of LISS cardio that day by driving. All these little things add up. Basically if something is working, leave it alone. It’s like running a cycle of gear, some guys say wks 1-6 I’m running test at 350mg then wks 7-12 I’m bumping up to 700mg. You can’t see into the future.
you want to drop 1-2% of your body weight per week for 12-16wks. Then pause and maintain/possible put 5lbs back on for 12-16wks. Then go into the cut again
These vids from Renaissance Periodization spell it out. 5 or 6 part lecture. It eats up time but spells it out A-Z.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya only drop cals as you need, but get out of that mindset that you are going to be weaker when you cut. Obviously it is easier when you are in a surplus, but I think a lot of people just set themselves up for failure with that mind set. If you train right you'll be fine.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
I wouldn’t fixate too much on dropping calories every week. These are all hypothetical numbers…..
Say you were at 4000 cals and weight is staying same, you drop to 3500-3700 cals and see a 1.5lb per week drop, ride that out until you don’t drop weight for an entire week. Then drop another 300-500 cals or add more cardio. I remember you normally walk to the gym but last week there was a day you drove. But you spent more time one the weights. So you deprived yourself of 20 min of LISS cardio that day by driving. All these little things add up. Basically if something is working, leave it alone. It’s like running a cycle of gear, some guys say wks 1-6 I’m running test at 350mg then wks 7-12 I’m bumping up to 700mg. You can’t see into the future.
you want to drop 1-2% of your body weight per week for 12-16wks. Then pause and maintain/possible put 5lbs back on for 12-16wks. Then go into the cut again
These vids from Renaissance Periodization spell it out. 5 or 6 part lecture. It eats up time but spells it out A-Z.
Lovely, thanks for bringing me right to the source, you pointed out the channel before but I couldn't find the right one. So cheers for that. 👍

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
FitNotes Workout - Monday 20th November 2023

Chest and Tris
Walk to gym - always leaves my calves feeling like they're going to burst on way home uphill. Usually stop at some point. Some pain in plantar facia part of foot as well.

** Plate Machine Vertical Grip **
- 264.55 lbs x 12 reps 🏆
- 286.6 lbs x 5 reps 🏆
- 264.55 lbs x 5 reps
- 176.37 lbs x 12 reps

** Converging Chest Press Machine **
- 174.16 lbs x 15 reps
- 189.6 lbs x 10 reps
- 189.6 lbs x 7 reps

** Cable Crossover **
- 39.68 lbs x 15 reps 🏆
- 50.71 lbs x 11 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 8 reps
- 30.86 lbs x 16 reps

** Rope Push Down **
- 39.68 lbs x 21 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 14 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 15 reps 🏆
- 59.52 lbs x 10 reps

** Single Arm Cable Pull Down - Horizontal Handle Grip **
- 19.84 lbs x 14 reps
- 19.84 lbs x 20 reps 🏆
- 19.84 lbs x 18 reps
- 30.86 lbs x 5 reps

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
FitNotes Workout - Wednesday 22nd November 2023

Shoulders Legs Abs

- 17.64 lbs x 10 reps
- 30.86 lbs x 15 reps
- 35.27 lbs x 8 reps 🏆
- 35.27 lbs x 8 reps

- 30.86 lbs x 30 reps
- 79.37 lbs x 24 reps
- 90.39 lbs x 21 reps

- 35.27 lbs x 16 reps 🏆
- 39.68 lbs x 14 reps 🏆
- 39.68 lbs x 14 reps

- 130.07 lbs x 12 reps
- 130.07 lbs x 12 reps
- 70.55 lbs x 24 reps

** Short ROM RDLs **
- 88.18 lbs x 10 reps
- 35.27 lbs x 20 reps
- 44.09 lbs x 24 reps

- 145.5 lbs x 14 reps
- 145.5 lbs x 17 reps

‐---------
Superset calves

** Calf Press Machine **
- 220.46 lbs x 20 reps
- 220.46 lbs x 15 reps
- 220.46 lbs x 12 reps

- 15 reps
- 15 reps
- 10 reps
---------------

** Crunch Machine **
- 160.94 lbs x 15 reps 🏆
- 169.76 lbs x 7 reps 🏆
- 160.94 lbs x 7 reps
- 149.91 lbs x 5 reps

Last edited:
Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
FitNotes Workout - Thursday 23rd November 2023

Chest Tris and a bit of Traps

- 264.55 lbs x 12 reps
- 286.6 lbs x 6 reps 🏆
- 264.55 lbs x 7 reps
- 176.37 lbs x 15 reps

** Flat Barbell Bench Press **
- 132.28 lbs x 21 reps
- 154.32 lbs x 14 reps
- 176.37 lbs x 10 reps
- 176.37 lbs x 6 reps
- 88.18 lbs x 28 reps

** Cable Crossover **
- 39.68 lbs x 15 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 4 reps
- 30.86 lbs x 14 reps

** Parallel Bar Triceps Dip **
- 14 reps

** Rope Push Down **
- 59.52 lbs x 4 reps
- 39.68 lbs x 15 reps
- 39.68 lbs x 14 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 8 reps

** Long Rope Pullback - Cable **
- 9.92 lbs x 12 reps
- 19.84 lbs x 13 reps
- 30.86 lbs x 6 reps
- 30.86 lbs x 6 reps

** Shrugs Standing Calf Machine **
- 88.18 lbs x 30 reps
- 176.37 lbs x 30 reps
- 242.51 lbs x 15 reps

** Tricep Extension Machine **
- 79.37 lbs x 25 reps
- 110.23 lbs x 15 reps
- 110.23 lbs x 15 reps

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
Feeling wiped today.

Recovery a lot slower than usual. I think yesterday was particularly heavy as a workout and calories have been cut under my TDEE guide now. So could be feeling the lack of nutrients. Protein around the 200g mark regardless.

So might skip today's Back and Bi's workout. Will have a nap, eat and see how I feel in about 5 hrs.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You were 189lb at the beginning, where are you at now? How many cals u avg a day now? Protien @200g/day seems good. Sometimes we just wake up and don't feel like a ball of fire. How many days a week are you hitting the gym and how long have you been at this pace?
when I was lifting real heavy w a lower volume, every 8 wks I would take a week off and change my routine, still lifting heavy but switch the routine around. Muscle groups done on dog days and with diff exercises etc

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
You were 189lb at the beginning, where are you at now? How many cals u avg a day now? Protien @200g/day seems good. Sometimes we just wake up and don't feel like a ball of fire. How many days a week are you hitting the gym and how long have you been at this pace?
when I was lifting real heavy w a lower volume, every 8 wks I would take a week off and change my routine, still lifting heavy but switch the routine around. Muscle groups done on dog days and with diff exercises etc
Says I'm 185 lbs today but was a couple pounds heavier yesterday. So it's fluctuating as expected.

I tapered down to 1800 calories. Just reading studies on difference between tapering down and dramatic cuts and there wasn't really any notable differences, apart from being harder to stay on diet when dramatically changing. I have cut before so can manage that fine.

Been going since September slowly upping the pace and intensity. Trying to manage rest periods between sets to get the most reps. I'm going after work now so not tied to an hr sessions. 4 - 6 days a week. I dont like taking days off, I just love training.

Considering changing to bro split from PPL but on my next bulk.

What I'm pleased about is that I still manage to fit in a little bit of chocolate in those cals. Makes all the difference when you're craving. Those cravings should go away after a few more days as I acclimatise.

Got DOMs in my calves so if I do train today I'll probably skip the walk, what you reckon?

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Says I'm 185 lbs today but was a couple pounds heavier yesterday. So it's fluctuating as expected.

I tapered down to 1800 calories. Just reading studies on difference between tapering down and dramatic cuts and there wasn't really any notable differences, apart from being harder to stay on diet when dramatically changing. I have cut before so can manage that fine.

Been going since September slowly upping the pace and intensity. Trying to manage rest periods between sets to get the most reps. I'm going after work now so not tied to an hr sessions. 4 - 6 days a week. I dont like taking days off, I just love training.

Considering changing to bro split from PPL but on my next bulk.

What I'm pleased about is that I still manage to fit in a little bit of chocolate in those cals. Makes all the difference when you're craving. Those cravings should go away after a few more days as I acclimatise.

Got DOMs in my calves so if I do train today I'll probably skip the walk, what you reckon?
I have no stance on PPL vs Bro Split. Switching would mix things up nice. Shock the muscles and break the monotony of a routine.

189 to 185 so 4ish lbs. in a week is roughly a 2% weight drop. Did u drop the Mk-677?

Don’t forget that the body heals w rest. No one likes time off.

I’d still walk. Moving more lets you keep the food intake. You are already down to 1800 cals which is bikini model intake numbers You got nowhere to go cal wise. Be careful w that. I thought u started at 3800 2 wks ago. Don’t get overzealous w cal cutting.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
Didn’t you just start cutting? How are you already down so low to 1800?
I read some studies and they said it made no difference whether you drop dramatically or slowly, in regards to training. Not just weight loss. 2300 is apparently my TDEE. Sounds like I've gone against advice here and going to pay for it 🤕

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Didn’t you just start cutting? How are you already down so low to 1800?
I was just responding in the same fashion. I tried this approach and got to the point of zero energy and living off catabolic fat burners

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I read some studies and they said it made no difference whether you drop dramatically or slowly, in regards to training. Not just weight loss. 2300 is apparently my TDEE. Sounds like I've gone against advice here and going to pay for it 🤕
No one is gonna show up at your house and punch you in the face. Lol. But you did mention your arse was dragging. You can always add cals. 1800 is too low. Unless you are at 8% bf trying to get to 6% to go on stage.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
I have no stance on PPL vs Bro Split. Switching would mix things up nice. Shock the muscles and break the monotony of a routine.

189 to 185 so 4ish lbs.
No one is gonna show up at your house and punch you in the face. Lol. But you did mention your arse was dragging. You can always add cals. 1800 is too low. Unless you are at 8% bf trying to get to 6% to go on stage.
Really? I'm going to sack that TDEE thing off It's a load of crap and really misleading.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Where did you even find a TDEE that has you that low?

Regardless that’s why sometimes it’s so tough giving advice because I feel people get so many different things thrown at them they start changing so much and it’s hard to even see what’s going on.

Just as a future FYI if you were bulking at up in the high 3000s for calories there’s going to be no need to drop that far that drastically you don’t need to “recalculate” your expenditure because you are already “in progress” and have previous metrics to build off of.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
Where did you even find a TDEE that has you that low?

Regardless that’s why sometimes it’s so tough giving advice because I feel people get so many different things thrown at them they start changing so much and it’s hard to even see what’s going on.

Just as a future FYI if you were bulking at up in the high 3000s for calories there’s going to be no need to drop that far that drastically you don’t need to “recalculate” your expenditure because you are already “in progress” and have previous metrics to build off of.
I hear you.
My TDEE results

That's my results, try for yourself, be interesting to see how it comes out for you and how inaccurate it is. Just for fun, not for me to reference. It may actually throw some perspective.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
Upping to 2500, I think that 4000 was too much by the rate I was gaining.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I mean I wouldn’t say you are sedentary and I would have said 2700 as a super rough estimate before even looking.

In the end though it shouldn’t matter a ton because you already had data on the rate you were gaining and could have just gone from there. 2500 sounds more reasonable at least.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
Got a walk in yesterday to get the shopping in.

Was feeling quite cold in general. Got to 8pm was feeling wiped. Cals up to past 2500. Went to bed, cold, night sweats. leg spasms waking me up. I usually do these anyway and wake my partner up or whack her in the face with my arm. Felt awful hot and cold, couldn't find the right temperature. Had a chocolate milkshake brought to me, Lights out.

Woke up this morning. Fresh as a daisy. READY FOR THE WORKOUT.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Glad u feel refreshed today. I have tagged the misses more than once in my sleep. She has made videos narrated with her color commentary of me moving around like a fool. I sleep walk/eat too

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
Glad u feel refreshed today. I have tagged the misses more than once in my sleep. She has made videos narrated with her color commentary of me moving around like a fool. I sleep walk/eat too
Never heard of sleep eating that's mental. Bet there's some solid stories there.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I love a Peanut butter sandwich. I am allergic to pb. It’s a digestive thing. I would wake up to find a knife in the open 3lb tub of PB, a half loaf of bread eaten, crumbs all over counter, peanut butter finger prints on refrigerator door and milk jug. I would have no recollection of this. That being said peanut butter is no longer brought into the house.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
Biceps and Back

FitNotes Workout - Saturday 25th November 2023

** Seated Machine Curl **
- 130.07 lbs x 11 reps 🏆
- 130.07 lbs x 8 reps
- 119.05 lbs x 9 reps

** Dumbbell Concentration Curl **
- 22.05 lbs x 15 reps
- 26.46 lbs x 12 reps
- 30.86 lbs x 8 reps

** Dumbbell Curl **
- 26.46 lbs x 15 reps
- 30.86 lbs x 8 reps
- 30.86 lbs x 9 reps

** Lat Pulldown **
- 189.6 lbs x 9 reps
- 160.94 lbs x 10 reps
- 145.5 lbs x 10 reps

** One Arm Lat Pulldown **
- 39.68 lbs x 17 reps
- 55.12 lbs x 12 reps
- 55.12 lbs x 13 reps

** Pulldown With Close Handles **
- 114.64 lbs x 12 reps
- 114.64 lbs x 9 reps
- 99.21 lbs x 11 reps

** Barbell Curl **
- 33.07 lbs x 20 reps
- 44.09 lbs x 12 reps
- 44.09 lbs x 10 reps

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
FitNotes Workout - Sunday 26th November 2023

** Converging Shoulder Press **
- 90.39 lbs x 18 reps
- 90.39 lbs x 15 reps
- 110.23 lbs x 9 reps

- 30.86 lbs x 15 reps
- 35.27 lbs x 8 reps
- 35.27 lbs x 8 reps

- 90.39 lbs x 20 reps
- 99.21 lbs x 25 reps

** Short ROM RDLs **
- 48.5 lbs x 20 reps
- 52.91 lbs x 20 reps
Felt wrong so stopped

- 130.07 lbs x 14 reps
- 130.07 lbs x 14 reps
- 130.07 lbs x 7 reps

- 160.94 lbs x 20 reps
- 160.94 lbs x 20 reps
Straining back on this

** Calf Press Machine **
- 235.89 lbs x 20 reps🏆
- 235.89 lbs x 17 reps
- 235.89 lbs x 16 reps

- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 15 reps

** Crunch Machine **
- 169.76 lbs x 12 reps 🏆
- 169.76 lbs x 9 reps
- 169.76 lbs x 7 reps
- 160.94 lbs x 7 reps

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
After waking up today, my lower back, specifcally the spinal area is in bits.

Will likely need to take some time off to heal. Not sure what I've done. All I can think is I've either slept in a funny position or one of yesterday's exercises tweaked me. Might be the RDL or leg extensions. They did feel like they were pulling, and not in a good way.

We'll see how I get on, it's still early and my back might warm up and ease off on the tightness.

Gordon_Bennet

Gordon_Bennet

Awards
Had a couple days with back issues. Still quite stiff but with the help of Tramadol I feel I can do the following workout safely. I can brace my back against a bench or equivalent and prevent any twisting or pressure I dont want to put on my lumbar area.

As a side note, I have an MRI booked tomorrow. With this I can take to my GP and they take me through the next steps. I paid for this privately. The NHS won't give me an MRI as I'm too young and my back problems aren't severe enough. I need to be incontinent and have worse sciatica than I currently do. There might be some other conditions that I'm not aware of.

So that's a little insight into the UKs NHS for you.

FitNotes Workout - Wednesday 29th November 2023

- 264.55 lbs x 10 reps
- 264.55 lbs x 7 reps
- 176.37 lbs x 16 reps
- 176.37 lbs x 10 reps

** Incline Smith Machine Press **
- 77.16 lbs x 7 reps
- 77.16 lbs x 10 reps
- 77.16 lbs x 9 reps

** Cable Crossover **
- 19.84 lbs x 30 reps
- 39.68 lbs x 17 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 11 reps
- 39.68 lbs x 11 reps

- 90.39 lbs x 30 reps
- 110.23 lbs x 20 reps
- 130.07 lbs x 12 reps

- 39.68 lbs x 14 reps
- 39.68 lbs x 12 reps

** Rope Push Down **
- 59.52 lbs x 8 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 10 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 9 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 7 reps

- 19.84 lbs x 13 reps
- 19.84 lbs x 14 reps
- 19.84 lbs x 11 reps
- 19.84 lbs x 12 reps

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Had a couple days with back issues. Still quite stiff but with the help of Tramadol I feel I can do the following workout safely. I can brace my back against a bench or equivalent and prevent any twisting or pressure I dont want to put on my lumbar area.

As a side note, I have an MRI booked tomorrow. With this I can take to my GP and they take me through the next steps. I paid for this privately. The NHS won't give me an MRI as I'm too young and my back problems aren't severe enough. I need to be incontinent and have worse sciatica than I currently do. There might be some other conditions that I'm not aware of.

So that's a little insight into the UKs NHS for you.

FitNotes Workout - Wednesday 29th November 2023

- 264.55 lbs x 10 reps
- 264.55 lbs x 7 reps
- 176.37 lbs x 16 reps
- 176.37 lbs x 10 reps

** Incline Smith Machine Press **
- 77.16 lbs x 7 reps
- 77.16 lbs x 10 reps
- 77.16 lbs x 9 reps

** Cable Crossover **
- 19.84 lbs x 30 reps
- 39.68 lbs x 17 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 11 reps
- 39.68 lbs x 11 reps

- 90.39 lbs x 30 reps
- 110.23 lbs x 20 reps
- 130.07 lbs x 12 reps

- 39.68 lbs x 14 reps
- 39.68 lbs x 12 reps

** Rope Push Down **
- 59.52 lbs x 8 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 10 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 9 reps
- 50.71 lbs x 7 reps

- 19.84 lbs x 13 reps
- 19.84 lbs x 14 reps
- 19.84 lbs x 11 reps
- 19.84 lbs x 12 reps
I respect your commitment to training. Don’t overdue or try to push through the pain. Sciatic is like a time bomb. I have gotten it so bad that pain from lower back felt like it flowed down the ass, into hamstring, and turned the corner to shin. Sh!t sux