Good macro breakdown for goal?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to get a better idea of what my macros would look like so I typed in some information based on my last weigh-in (@190lbs) into a IIFYM calculator, set it for moderately active and lose 10% (goal weight is between 180 and 185) and got this breakdown:

Kcal - 2549
Carbs - 288
Protein - 190
Fats - 71

I would like to learn all I can about my macros so I can get serious and meal prep/hit my goals. I know, courtesy of past posts, that you need to eat at least 1g protein/lb and I believe carbs are 1.5g/lb, but I can never seem to get a clear answer on fats.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think it will vary from person to person and what your bodytype is but if thats what the calculator told you then I would run that for a little and see how it treats you for your goals and then adjust fats as needed.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
[lQUOTE=LeanEngineer;5358183]I think it will vary from person to person and what your bodytype is but if thats what the calculator told you then I would run that for a little and see how it treats you for your goals and then adjust fats as needed.[/QUOTE]

Alright thanks man.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
That's a great starting point for sure. Online calculators are a great way to get a general idea for macros and calories, but everyone is different. I would agree - stick with these macros for a week or two and see how your body responds.

I always opt to up my protein to the 1.2-1.4g per pound range while dieting, but 1g per pound will be sufficient. As far as fat intake goes, the usual go-to rule is to not let your fats drop below 20% of your overall calories for the day. If you are consistent with your macros and you begin to lower fat, you can notice in your overall mood and energy levels when fat intake is too low. During a cut I like to keep my fats in the 60-70g range, and I never let them fall below 50g per day toward the very end of a diet.

In experimenting with your calorie intake, I think what you've posted is a great starting point. You have a nice amount of carbs to play with if you begin to stall with your weight loss, and you can dial the fat intake back a bit as well down the road if needed.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
That's a great starting point for sure. Online calculators are a great way to get a general idea for macros and calories, but everyone is different. I would agree - stick with these macros for a week or two and see how your body responds.

I always opt to up my protein to the 1.2-1.4g per pound range while dieting, but 1g per pound will be sufficient. As far as fat intake goes, the usual go-to rule is to not let your fats drop below 20% of your overall calories for the day. If you are consistent with your macros and you begin to lower fat, you can notice in your overall mood and energy levels when fat intake is too low. During a cut I like to keep my fats in the 60-70g range, and I never let them fall below 50g per day toward the very end of a diet.

In experimenting with your calorie intake, I think what you've posted is a great starting point. You have a nice amount of carbs to play with if you begin to stall with your weight loss, and you can dial the fat intake back a bit as well down the road if needed.
Thanks for the advice. I'll write that down and keep that in mind.

mrgoomba

Awards
i like to target fat as .5-.8 grams per pound of body weight, protein at 1.2g per pound of body weight, and then fill in the rest with carbs. I would use online calcs to figure out your total calorie intake, and then use those ratios to figure out macros. Do this for 1 week and see if you are maintaining weight, gaining, or losing. Your goal should be to maintain. Once you find your accurate maintenance, then drop 10% cals to lose or add 10% to lean bulk. This 10% calorie manipulation will come from carbs since your protein and fat are based on those ratios.

Example: I am 208 lbs. I am currently cutting on 2700 calories.

1.2g protein per pound - 250g protein (1,000 calories, or 37% total)
.5g of fat per pound - 104g fat (936 calories, or 35% total)
remaining carbs - 191g (1000+936 = 1936 (764 remaining calories). 764/4 = 191g. (28% total)

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
i like to target fat as .5-.8 grams per pound of body weight, protein at 1.2g per pound of body weight, and then fill in the rest with carbs. I would use online calcs to figure out your total calorie intake, and then use those ratios to figure out macros. Do this for 1 week and see if you are maintaining weight, gaining, or losing. Your goal should be to maintain. Once you find your accurate maintenance, then drop 10% cals to lose or add 10% to lean bulk. This 10% calorie manipulation will come from carbs since your protein and fat are based on those ratios.

Example: I am 208 lbs. I am currently cutting on 2700 calories.

1.2g protein per pound - 250g protein (1,000 calories, or 37% total)
.5g of fat per pound - 104g fat (936 calories, or 35% total)
remaining carbs - 191g (1000+936 = 1936 (764 remaining calories). 764/4 = 191g. (28% total)
What's the ratio of grams of protein/fat/carbs to kcal?

Edit: apologies. I just googled it and found it.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Alright so I took your advice mrgoomba and this is what I came up with for me being 190lbs (current weight)

Cut kcal: 2,546.1
C-195
P-228
F-95

Maintenance kcal: 2829
C-265.5
P-228
F-95

Lean Bulk kcal: 3,111.9
C-336
P-228
F-95

mrgoomba

Awards
Alright so I took your advice mrgoomba and this is what I came up with for me being 190lbs (current weight)

Cut kcal: 2,546.1
C-195
P-228
F-95

Maintenance kcal: 2829
C-265.5
P-228
F-95

Lean Bulk kcal: 3,111.9
C-336
P-228
F-95
looks good. of course do weekly weigh ins (at the same time with same meals prior to weigh in for consistency). Make adjustments to carbs as needed

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
looks good. of course do weekly weigh ins (at the same time with same meals prior to weigh in for consistency). Make adjustments to carbs as needed
Thanks for the tips man.

magicwood

Awards
Honestly the only macro I keep consistent is protein. I will adjust carbs and fats depending on what I eat through the day/week. Some days I'll notice my meals will have higher carbs so I back down on the fats and vice versa. That's the beauty about IIFYM.