Good exercises to widen shoulders?

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
His form is fine...
Disagree, but whatever... Barely makes a full eccentric press. It's not just about how much weight you can push.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
The video is not available to me, but if you want to to do a standing press or push press the lift should be done to complete lockoout. For actual heavy push presses i try and hold them for a quick second on top. Pumping out 3/4 reps will limit the effectiveness of the lift immensely.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The video is not available to me, but if you want to to do a standing press or push press the lift should be done to complete lockoout. For actual heavy push presses i try and hold them for a quick second on top. Pumping out 3/4 reps will limit the effectiveness of the lift immensely.
What is the point of the lockout? It is best to keep the tension on the shoulders and do a short ROM with a slow eccentric portion of the movement.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
What is the point of the lockout? It is best to keep the tension on the shoulders and do a short ROM with a slow eccentric portion of the movement.
For some reason people thing locking weights is bad, i am not sure where this came from. If you think locking out a shoulder press is bad, than try it. But make sure it is over your head when you lock it out. The tension never comes off the shoulders, trust me. A strict standing press should be started at the chest area, and finished at lockout. Do a couple sets of 8 full ROM and tell me how if feels. But like i said, make sure you finish with your head through and locked out. ALso i forgot to mention to keep a pretty narrow grip.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
okay what does everyone think of his split?
Pistonpumps suggested a 6 day split if I added a 4th day for shoulders.

so I re-organized it into something like this:

M - (shoulders/traps): power cleans, lateral raises, 2-3 other shoulder/trap exercises, abs/core

T - cardio, abs/core

W - (Back/bicep): Deadlifts, bent over rows, lower back raises, chin-ups, hammer curls

T - cardio, abs/core

F - (Chest/Triceps): bench, close-grip bench, dips, lower back raises, abs/core

S - Legs: squats, front squats, light OH squats (10 reps), Good mornings

S - rest

I'd like to maintain my main focus towards explosiveness and strength, and do core conditioning 4 times a week (no weights involved). Other than that, does it look like I'm overdoing it or anything?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Monday: chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness

Wednesday: biceps, forearms, calves, hamstrings, quads

Friday: repeat of Mondays body parts

Monday: repeat of Wednesdays' body parts

^ doggcrapp training split.

The Anarchist

Awards
Monday: chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness

Wednesday: biceps, forearms, calves, hamstrings, quads

Friday: repeat of Mondays body parts

Monday: repeat of Wednesdays' body parts

^ doggcrapp training split.
Well other than trying to widen my shoulders for looks, I'm working every other part for strength and I go as heavy as I can on bench/deadlift/squats, is it really necessary to work those twice a week?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Depends if you recover quick enough which I'm pretty sure you do. Usually most people are ok with that DC split above. DC also too involves working those big compound movements really hard as well.

I've steered away from the high sets/high volume training. All it does is trash my CNS system.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I've steered away from the high sets/high volume training. All it does is trash my CNS system.
I am not a high volume beleiver as well, but it can be beneficial, you just have to back off weights, going to failure on high volume consistently is a complete killer, and the main reason 75% of 20 year olds you see in the gym look the same and lift the same numbers when they are 23.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I made gains off of high volume, but workouts took a very, very long time to complete, and the gains were so slow.

Also too, initially I thought I'd have joint issues with DC, but I don't because the training is brief but intense. With high volume, the same repetition over and over again wore on the joints.

The only time I might ever go back to high volume is on a DC cruise, but other than that I'm done with high volume for good. That's a bunch of Flex magazine crap.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
yeah those kids who use the same weights. If I took a log book, there are a large handful who are still pushing the same weight as they were 9 months ago.

timmmah

timmmah

Awards
  • Established
I made gains off of high volume, but workouts took a very, very long time to complete, and the gains were so slow.

Also too, initially I thought I'd have joint issues with DC, but I don't because the training is brief but intense. With high volume, the same repetition over and over again wore on the joints.

The only time I might ever go back to high volume is on a DC cruise, but other than that I'm done with high volume for good. That's a bunch of Flex magazine crap.
Whats DC?

The Anarchist

Awards
Monday:

5x2 Powercleans
6x2 Speed deadlifts
4x5 Bent-over rows
5x2 Weighted Chin-ups

Wednesday:

3x5, 3x3 ATG Back squats
5x3 ATG front squats
3x5 Good mornings
3x8 Hammer curls

Friday:

5x5 bench press
3x5 Close Grip Bench
5x5 Weighted dips
3x10 Light OH squats, or I might just do normal squats with less weights
Okay I'm thinking about just doing the same lifts but on Saturdays, hit the gym and do around 2 or so exercises to directly work my delts...

If you want wide shoulders, or need to bring up your delts as a whole, give them their own day.

-Lateral Raises (keeping your palms faced behind you during the WHOLE movement.)

-Very WG Upright Rows (Strict Form)

-Laterals with cables (keeping the back of your hand higher than the front).

Those 3 will do all you need. I would recommend using a different one each week, increasing each by 5 lbs every 3 weeks, obviously because each one will be used once every 3 weeks. Don't go overboard working medial delts one exercise once a week for 3 sets is enough, ONLY if your giving all you have EVERY set. Otherwise, don't even show up ;)

Obviously this is all in addition to the front and rear delt work. HEAVY weight HIGH reps is key :D
Using a different one each week...meaning only do one of those exercises each week correct? You think that'd be enough...?

heavy sets and high reps....3x8?

walugi

walugi

Awards
I find doing upright rows helps with your medial delts. Not sure what kind of hit you'll get in your front delts, but I know it won't do crap for your rear delts.

My rear delts are so **** :(

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find doing upright rows helps with your medial delts. Not sure what kind of hit you'll get in your front delts, but I know it won't do crap for your rear delts.

My rear delts are so **** :(
most people neglect their rear delts and most of the time rear delts really lag behind. Not to mention its a lil tough to isolate them without getting your back involved.

walugi

walugi

Awards
Yeah, all I really do for them are those reverse pec dec things, and bent over rows (right?). That being said, I haven't been to the gym for ages, but I'm starting again this Monday at a new gym :)

timmmah

timmmah

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, all I really do for them are those reverse pec dec things, and bent over rows (right?). That being said, I haven't been to the gym for ages, but I'm starting again this Monday at a new gym :)
reverse push ups and reverse cables are good too, but hit back day hard and often for rear delts. It's hard to get a big chest without gettin big front delts. Same in the back, big lats--side effect;big rear delts.