GOMAD ?

ethan_wilde

ethan_wilde

Awards
Can anyone give some advice , hopefully personal experience with GOMAD? Gallon. Of milk a day. Offseason will be here soon looking to gain as much masa as possible.

jgspray

Awards
It's a kickass old school program. I find it pretty hard to sustain for more than a month, a gallon of milk seems cheap when you buy it once a week, but day after day it adds up. Also you will gain a decent amount of fat to go with your new muscle (assuming you lift heavy weights of course). The biggest thing to remember is to increase your fiber from fruits and vegetables, the first time I did it, I didn't think fiber was important and you can end up getting the hershey squirts by the end of the first week.

I've gone through it about a month at a time on 4 different occasions and I gained about 8 lbs, probably close to 50/50 fat to lean mass.

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
I don't recommend it. Eat regular whole food w/ higher calories. Personal preference.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
I don't recommend it. Eat regular whole food w/ higher calories. Personal preference.
I tend to agree with this….I personally am not the biggest fan of these set dieting protocols that do not take into account individual genetic responses

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
I used to drink anywhere from a half a gallon of milk a day to a gallon of milk a day but it was generally skim milk. Or I would mix skim milk with 2% chocolate milk. But I just drink it throughout the day (with my meals, with my protein shakes, with the multiple bowls of cereal I would eat) I also grew up on milk because its a staple up here. Gotta assess how you would handle it, so work your way up there.

I always found it to be a convenient way to add calories and calcium to each meal. And it makes your protein shakes taste so much better.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
It's a very cheap convenient source of calories. Like others said you definite gain a fair amount of fat from it. I recommend 2% milk and drink about half a gallon as long as you get enough calories from other foods. This Helps lean out the gains some.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I know this hasn't been bumped lately but the gomad protocol is ridiculous to me, other factors play into it versus some fat gain....

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
It's creating a calorie surplus. Why not just eat more food?

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
It's creating a calorie surplus. Why not just eat more food?
Sometimes its hard to eat more food but downing a big glass of milk with each meal can add significant calories throughout the day. Or between meals, however one wishes to go about it.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
I get that, but it just seems like..............a lot of unnecessary milk. There are so many easy foods that are high in cals. Personal preference, I suppose. GOMAD isn't magical. It's a simple calorie surplus. You can make high cal protein shakes that offer far better nutrition for the same cal allotment.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I tried it once. It's not optimal. It's a lazy way to gain fat and muscle.

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
I agree its not optimal, but I like milk and drink a lot anyways without thinking about it most days. But I don't get anywhere near a gallon a day any more. I just used to do it when I played football and just wanted more weight period, and I am assuming thats what OP would be going for.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The "see food eat food" diet should pair well with gomad then

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
I used to drink anywhere from a half a gallon of milk a day to a gallon of milk a day but it was generally skim milk. Or I would mix skim milk with 2% chocolate milk. But I just drink it throughout the day (with my meals, with my protein shakes, with the multiple bowls of cereal I would eat) I also grew up on milk because its a staple up here. Gotta assess how you would handle it, so work your way up there.

I always found it to be a convenient way to add calories and calcium to each meal. And it makes your protein shakes taste so much better.
I grew up on milk as well, so it's not hard for me to drink a gallon in a few days. It's definitely not for everyone, and as stated before, you gotta work up to it. If someone goes from never drinking milk to drinking a gallon of whole milk a day....well bad things are gonna happen haha

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
http://anabolicminds.com/articles/could-milk-and-dairy-be-ruining-your-bulk-19441/

GOMAD gave me crazy GERD. Worst reflux ever, and prevented me from sleeping well at all. Just a few reasons above why I don't like it. Reflux is the worst thing that can happen on a bulk, not just for sleep, but for eating well too.
Everybody handles foods differently, but did you ever try a lactase pill or something with the milk? I think that if you go from having a lot of dairy in your diet to none, you lose your ability to digest it as well. A lot of people I have talked to with lactose intolerance developed it when they got older after they stopped drinking milk.

zatsiorsky

Awards
I did GOMAD for a few months. I could down skim in an hour or less, while milk gave me a lot more issues.

While I do 1qt of skim daily now (in homemade gainer shakes) and I have no issues, whenever I start drinking 1/2 gallon or more, I will get a large amount of gas and bloating.

It is more effective to blend up a variety of carbs, fats, and proteins into a shake than it will ever be to endure the side effects of GOMAD (at least for my part).

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Everybody handles foods differently, but did you ever try a lactase pill or something with the milk? I think that if you go from having a lot of dairy in your diet to none, you lose your ability to digest it as well. A lot of people I have talked to with lactose intolerance developed it when they got older after they stopped drinking milk.
I only buy Lactaid brand milk actually. It's the fats in milk that cause me heartburn. I'm fine if I drink lowfat milk or if I'm drinking whole milk, then none at night.

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
I only buy Lactaid brand milk actually. It's the fats in milk that cause me heartburn. I'm fine if I drink lowfat milk or if I'm drinking whole milk, then none at night.
Ahh gotcha.

TheJailer521

Awards
I drank a half gallon of milk/day for about 4 years + Whey protein....and now I'm lactose intolerant. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I think it depends on your metabolism and whether you tend to be a hardgainer/ecto.

I too now buy Lactaid and drink up to a half gallon per day of the 2%, and I think it's one of the more effective foods for gaining muscle.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
zconners Nutrition / Health 20
Supplements 3
Anabolics 2
Nutrition / Health 4
Anabolics 7