Glen's redemption log

Buff Bagwell

hey glenihan I am going to be doing a routine that mirrors the one at the beginning of your log. The only thing I was wondering is why you stuck with flat db press so long on your chest days.

Is there a specific reason, because I was thinking of switching it up like one day flat bb and next day incline db..just to hit it from diff. angles..what do you think???

Buff Bagwell

I was also going to ask in the last post how long you take between sets...?I know on you original post you a few months back you said 2-3 minutes but I was just wondering because I have also heard 60 seconds...

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
switching up is a great idea .. i sometimes just like to stick with an exercise until i feel like i've truly plateaued .. then i'll go on to another and stick with that

and sometimes i like to switch exercises each workout ... to be honest i don't think it makes a huge difference other than psychologically (and when dealing with things like deads where it would kill the CNS to do them so often)

i now go 2-3 minutes between sets .. i like it a lot better than 60 seconds .. just don't think its enough

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
11/20

chest
flat DB press
105s -10
110 - 8
115 - 7
incline BB press
215 - 10
235 - 7
255 - 4
DB flies
55 - 9
60 - 6

tris
close grip bench
135 - 8
155 - 6 (i'm terrible at this exercise .. always have been i'm not sure why .. i do try to keep very strict form .. plus they bother my left shoulder)
rope pushdowns
80 - 10
90 - 6
100 - 6

i felt very strong during my chest exercises and those pounds should continue to go up

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
CG on regular bench hurts my shoulders, but on a smith, it's painless. tried it that way yet? strong work in any case.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
agreed, smith CGBP is easier on the shoulders... but both kill my wrists, unless I space my hands farther apart.. then it's not a proper CGBP.

your presses are getting stronger Tiger... I like... I like very much.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i put my index on the smooth and tuck elbows in, works great for my tri's. and with the smith, you don't have to worry about balance, just emphasizing tri's.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i'm definitely gonna use the smith next time we do CGBP

11/21

worked out today because i'm leaving to go to my parents early tomorrow and didn't want to deal with working out that early

quads
squats-
315 - 15
365 - 15
405 - 6 (got really tired really fast on this haha)
leg ext
230 - 12
250 - 12
265 - 10

hams
GHR -
BW - 10
BW - 10
BW - 7 (felt a sharp twinge and didn't want to press it so i stopped hamstrings)

twinging my hamstring bothered me and i just split after that not doing calves .. i'm really too lazy with my calves gotta stop that

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
that's a hell of a strong session... must have been pretty gassed after your second set of squats, but you pulled it out.

Your GHR's are solid..

hammy tweaks are scary, hopefully it's nothing.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
thanks ubi ... i feel totally fine today no problems with the hammy so i thinki should be good

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
hams seem to be your 'funny' area, similar to my pecs. keep an eye on it brutha, might be a warning.

n.o.t.w

Awards
Hey glenihan I'm new to the board as you can see, and I was just wondering if you also incorperate the 5 second negs and explosive positives with the higher volume training that you just started?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
I switched it up and just go with controlled reps 2 sec up 2 sec down or thereabouts ... i did this for no other reason except just to switch things up and keep my body guessing and hopefully responding

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
11/27 i missed friday's workout because i was out of town

chest
flat BB press
235 - 10
255 - 7
265 - 5
incline DB press
95 - 10
100 - 7
105 - 7
cable flies
9 - 9
8 - 10

tris
skulls (first time doing these in a while)
45's on the ez curl bar - 10
55's - 4 (elbow felt like it caught on fire .. these are out again now)

bar pushdowns
100 - 10
110 - 8

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Glen, do you have a close grip on the EZ, or do you use the wider cambered part? I notice my elbows don't hurt as much when using the wide grip.... but ****, I have the same problem when I go heavy regardless, so nevermind.

My EZ bar at my gym weights about 30lbs. If yours did, then the 140lb set would do that for sure... ;)

Anyways, daddy like... when's your next Deadlift day?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i use a close grip .. never have tried the wide grip i'll give that a shot at some point though thanks for the tip

next deadlift day will likely be a week from friday although that might be rack deads we shall see :)

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
11/29

quads
leg press -
270 - 8
360 - 8
450 - 8
530 - 8
leg ext -
250 - 10
260 - 10

hams
SLDL
225 - 10
315 - 8
365 - 7
lying leg curls
3 plates - 9
3 plates - 8

calves
seated calf raises
3 plates x 12 x 3 about 2 minutes per set

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
didn't get to post fridays workout

12/1
back
BB rows
275 - 10
295 - 8
315 - 7
close grip wide grip lat pulldowns
200 - 10
225 - 8
240 - 6
low cable rows
190 - 10
200 - 9
210 - 7

bis
straight bar curls
115 - 10
135 - 8
145 - 5
p*ssy ass cable curls
9 - 10
9 - 10

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
12/4

chest
flat BB press
225 - 10
245 - 8
265 - 6 (these things kill my left shoulder so i'm working my way up very slowly)
incline DB press
100 - 10
105 - 8
110 - 6
DB flies
60 - 10
60 - 8

tris
close grip smith press
135 - 10
185 - shoulder died .. F these things
rope pulldowns
95 - 10

had to end workout .. i guess my training partner and i did too much chit chatting because normally i have time to finish oh well

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
strong work fella. shoulder died on CGBP smith? never heard of that.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
its an old rugby injury (actually 2 injuries) i separated my shoulder twice at the AC joint and flat bench press and close grip really kill it ... i tried the smith machine on your and ubi's advice and it didn't really do anything to lessen the pain .. its a sharp shooting pain so its not really bearable ... oh well just another tri exercise out the window haha

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i hear ya. skulls just got thrown out of mine.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Damn Glen thats a girly close grip bench. Just playing man. I think it's amazing how one exercise you can smoke someone in then another they can smoke you. Just goes to show how different we all are. Enough of my rambling back to work

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i know what you mean man ... i'm just so miserable at close grip its honestly laughable .. oh well my other tri movements are solid :)

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
damn skippy, you're solid buddy.. I know what it's like having a hinderance from an old injury.. Nice work on your other movements though.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
12/6

quads
hack squats -
4 plates - 12
5 plates - 12
6 plates - 15
leg press
5 plates - 9
6 plates - 9
7 plates - 9

hams
GHR -
BW - 10
BW - 8
BW - 7
lying leg curls
3 plates x 12 x 3

i finally picked up a jump rope yesterday which i've been meaning to do for a little while now ... i did it yesterday as cardio 10 sets of 100 with a 1 minute break between sets ... this absolutely fried my calves they are killing me today ... perhaps this will spur some growth :)

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Aaarg. The dreaded jumprope! My calfs hate those things. I did 10 minutes every other day preppin for a belt test and they never stopped hurtin.

Lookin good bro.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
nice hacks Glen... weird, I too have been meaning to get back to jumping rope.. My girl got me these cheapies that I've been meaning to take in my pack, but never get around to it... I'm going to have to certainly include some type of cardio as I've dropped the CKD in our mission to surpass Beelziebottoms. :D

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
its great because i don't even have to leave my place to do cardio now :) although my calves are STILL ridiculously sore .. hopefully that's a good thing

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
its an old rugby injury (actually 2 injuries) i separated my shoulder twice at the AC joint and flat bench press and close grip really kill it ... i tried the smith machine on your and ubi's advice and it didn't really do anything to lessen the pain .. its a sharp shooting pain so its not really bearable ... oh well just another tri exercise out the window haha
I had horrible tendonitis in my left arm that has been greatly improved with cissus...but even so I still no longer do skull crushers with the EZ bar. They hurt so much until I finally tried doing them with dumbbells. I didn't like the idea as I just liked using th EZ bar but they became pain free once I switched.

I also had to do the same thing with CGBP a while back. They were ripping my elbows and wrists apart, then I started doing them on a decline bench. I don't know what it was, the change in angle or w/e but the pain also disappeared too.

Oh by the way, I wouldn't worry about it much anyway. Your back and legs are strong as **** man!!!! BB rowing 315 for reps at your height and weight! DAMN!!!!! Your hack squats aren't too shabby either.. NICE WORK!

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
mikey - i'll try switching some stuff up and thanks for your kind words

12/8

back
t-bar rows -
4 plates - 10
5 plates - 8
5 + 25 - 6
low cable rows -
180 - 10
190 - 8
200 - 7
wide grip pullups
BW - 10
BW - 8
BW - 8

bis
alt incline DB curls -
50 - 10
55 - 10
60 - 8
hammer curls
50 - 10
55 - 10
60 - 10

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
strong friggin back and bis... Tbar is mad heavy.. mad mad mad heavy.

:D

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i've gotta make up for my chest movements with something haha

thanks ubi

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
12/11

chest-
flat DB press-
110 - 10
115 - 7
120 - 4
incline DB press-
90 - 10
95 - 8
100 - 4
cable flies-
90 - 10
90 - 10

tris
overhead DB ext-
95 - 10
100 - 10
105 - 9
rope pulldowns
110 - 10
120 - 10

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
atta boy, those DB presses are getting up there.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
thanks ubi -- they've actually been better but my shoulder is really becoming a problem .. i've gotta figure out a course of action .. i can still lift it just burns while doing it

anyway off from the gym today .. finals period and i've got too much studying to do to sacrifice the hour in the gym the 30 minutes total travel time and the subsequent two hours when i'm just dead from leg day haha .. "back" at it friday (pun intended)

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I did cross-fiber treatment and rotator exercises, along with ultrasound and accupuncture, and my shoulder problem healed up quick.

Turns out the lady I go to doesn't do active release as you referred me to, but what she did help me tremendously.

I know all to well that burning feeling from pressing. :( Good luck with that.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i've just gotta get back to my chiro for some ART and start doing certain shoulder movements to activate the muscle before working out ... i'm just a lazy bum sometimes

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Hey Glen, I don't really see you doing any shoulder/delt work. Is that because of your injury or do you just feel your delts get enough work from chest and back days. Just curious

Kickass log by the way

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
thanks leggo

actually for whatever reason, aside from lateral delts, shoulder movements don't both me ... its really just flat presses

anyway i feel my delts get enough work indirectly ... on occassion i will do a few sets of shoulder presses here and there i just never mention them because it really will be just 2 sets

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Cool, reason I ask is I was thinking of running a training split similar to the one in the beginning of your log. How often do you do deads? You mentioned earlier every week is too taxing on the CNS. I usually do them every week, or at least every other week,on a more traditional split, but I am open to suggestions... Sorry to hijack your log.

--HIJACK OFFICIALLY OVER--:run:

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
no hijack man .. logs like this are to help everyone including the logger learn :)

shoulders would be done with the A workouts

i would do true deads probably once a month and rack deads once a month

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
12/15

back
rack deads-
405 - 10
455 - 8
495 - 6
close grip reverse grip pulldowns
200 - 10
210 - 8
220 -6
low cable rows
190 - 10
200 - 8

bis
preacher curls
45's on ez curl - 10
50's - 8
55's - 4
hammer curls
50's - 10
60's - 4

i really need a week off ... i'm getting absolutely exhausted during my workouts and i'm positive my CNS is fried (the marathon study sessions every day aren't helping either) ... but much like my stubborn, bald friend beelzebub i'm just gonna suck it up and workout next week and then take christmas week off

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
looks like I'm in the stubborn club with you two. ;)

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
hurray for stubborness!! ... and if i may .. hurray for boobies!

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
hazzah! hip hip hazzah for boobies and berginias!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
lol, **** man, i can't make it that long. today's workout was a major indicator of how bad i need time off.