General advice for ulcerative colitis

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hi all, so after months of symptoms and worry i got a diagnosis today of ulcerative colitis after a colonoscopy. This is not the news i was hoping for but at least i know. I tried searching through the forum but couldn't find anything other than "should i run xyz compound with UC or not. I'm hoping in this thread members can chime in with any advice on diet, training, supplements, gear, managing symptoms, day to day living and training with UC. Anything you think relevant, any advice that may help myself and other members with UC. Apologies if there's already a thread like this but i really couldn't find anything, thanks in advance

patrick25

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Peptide Sciences carries a product called Gut Inflammation Research Formula. Look into that it has a good research article on it.

Vincefort

Vincefort

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I live with this diagnosis for 11 years, 8 of them are in remission. But I used to take a lot of supplements all that time, especially Ayuervedic (Turmeric, Ashwagandha etc) and BPC-157 peptide. It's very hard to gain weight with the disorder though. Gaingers help

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I live with this diagnosis for 11 years, 8 of them are in remission. But I used to take a lot of supplements all that time, especially Ayuervedic (Turmeric, Ashwagandha etc) and BPC-157 peptide. It's very hard to gain weight with the disorder though. Gaingers help
Did the supplements help? Do you still take them now and is there anything now that you have found to be helpful?

Vincefort

Vincefort

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Did the supplements help? Do you still take them now and is there anything now that you have found to be helpful?
I still take low dose of mesalazine every day. As for supplements, I think them helpful for overall health benefits. I take NAC, Co10, Turmeric, Multivitamins, Ginger and sometimes givestive enzymes like papain. Actually I feel great

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I still take low dose of mesalazine every day. As for supplements, I think them helpful for overall health benefits. I take NAC, Co10, Turmeric, Multivitamins, Ginger and sometimes givestive enzymes like papain. Actually I feel great
I'll ask my Dr about mesalazine it looks good, especially for preventing flare ups. Ive been prescribed pentasa today but haven't got it yet. I've been taking turmeric and bromelain for my joints for a while but stopped recently on the chance that it may have a negative effect but think i will get back on them

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Are you on oral or suppository mesalazine? My dr give me some 1g suppositories, short term is fine but i don't fancy having to plug my ass every night for the rest of my life

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have had this disease for over a decade now.

For long term remission and easy adherence (my unqualified) recommendation is Mezavant.

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have had this disease for over a decade now.

For long term remission and easy adherence (my unqualified) recommendation is Mezavant.
Yh thats mesalizine, I've been on that a few days but its the suppositories, im hoping to get in remission with them as ive been flaring for months now waiting for a diagnosis. Do you get any sides from them and are they oral tablets? If so do they work as good as suppository, thanks

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yh thats mesalizine, I've been on that a few days but its the suppositories, im hoping to get in remission with them as ive been flaring for months now waiting for a diagnosis. Do you get any sides from them and are they oral tablets? If so do they work as good as suppository, thanks
Most people (not sure if you are in the category) present with Proctitis and the suppository are by far the most effected given the localised effect. However, like most this disease tends to spread over time to more parts of the colon.

Mezavant is a oral formulation that releases across the entire colon and doesn't have a number of toxicity issues like other preparations. I literally just change between 2 and four capsules once per day to control any flares or issues (have had none in nearly 2 years).

Last edited:
Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
For your diet, avoid spicy and high fiber foods. A balanced diet will help you. Eat dishes with plenty of protein, fiber, fruits, and vegetables. Cardio exercises can help you too but if you find it too painful, you can always try low intensity cardio exercises such as swimming and cycling.
Thanks for advice, yeah ive been avoiding high insoluble fibre foods, if i can't have spices Lord take me now, I'm done with this life, ok slight exaggeration. I've avoided anything really spicy and dont have spicy stuff everyday but cutting them out completely is jason blaha non negotiable. Ive cut caffeine and alcohol out how do you go on with caffiene, any problems with it?

MaddnessMania

MaddnessMania

Awards
I’ve had Severe UC for 8 years now. Medication wise Remicade worked the best for me (currently on Humira and eh)

Supps I’ve really liked: boswellia, colostrum, and a high bifido culture count of a probiotic.