Gaining weight slowly

powerpunk5000

Awards
So iv been trying to bulk up, I am about 5'7 130-135 lbs.
I have been lifting on and off for a few years.

It seems like I cant get passed this threshold of weight or its happening slower then it has in the past.

My diet looks like this:
Mourning
Mass shake:
2 packets oats-200 cals
1 banana- 100 cals
1 scoop protein- 100 cals
2 tbs pb- 200 cals
1 cup almond milk- 80 cals

Lunch:

Something like birds eye protein lunch

About 640 cals
9 grams fat
100 grams carbs
28 protein

Also a gronola bar
200 cals

Then dinner
Something like a black bean buger on a roll and a cup of greek yougert before bed

About 400 cals there

Plus mis cals from coffee and drinks ect.

Training looks like this

Chest/tris/shoulder

Chest press
1 set 20+ reps
3 sets 6-10 reps

Incline press
1 set 20+
3 sets 8-10

3 sets of weighted dips

3 sets of machine flys not to heavy
10-15 reps

Machine shoulder press
2 light sets 20 reps or more
4 heavy sets 8-10

Triceps pushdown
2 light sets
4 heavy

Then optional shoulder flys if i feel up to it.

Back/bis
4 sets of lat pull downs
1 light
3 heavy

4 sets rows
1 light
3 heavy

Lat pull down
3 sets 8-12

Bicep preacher curl
4-5 sets
2 light
3-4 heavy

Then 3 sets of side roman chair eith weights

Legs

5 sets leg press
1 light 4 heavy

Leg curls
3 heavy

Hampstring curl
3 heavy

Calf press
4 heavy

I usally do back and chest days 2x a week and legs once

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Never going to bulk on your diet. You need to double your cal intake. Cut the processed food out like the birds eye lunch and eat whole foods like chicken fish and lean beefs.

powerpunk5000

Awards
Never going to bulk on your diet. You need to double your cal intake. Cut the processed food out like the birds eye lunch and eat whole foods like chicken fish and lean beefs.
I dont eat much animal products. And meat is highly processed as well

stock28

Awards
  • Established
I can respect the not wanting to eat meat products if that's your choice but it's going to be real hard to get protein and calories up without it. Either way your going to have to get a lot more calories from somewhere.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can respect the not wanting to eat meat products if that's your choice but it's going to be real hard to get protein and calories up without it. Either way your going to have to get a lot more calories from somewhere.
This isn't really true. They have plant based meat substitutes and beans, broccoli, etc have decent amounts of protein.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would definitely recommend having another shake, maybe adding some plant based chicken with lunch and dinner, and adding more nutritional food like broccoli, spinach, onions, peppers, etc.

Can also do protein pancakes/cinnamon rolls. Kodiak Cakes will be useful.

Maybe instead of a granola bar do a protein bar instead. Similar calories but better macros.

If drinks includes soda and the like, drop those ASAP lol.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Yes there is protein in vegetables but you have to eat an awful lot of broccoli to get a decent amount of calories. However the point is he's going to have to substantially increase his calories one way or another and eat cleaner food.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Whole foods minimal processing. Box dinners and deli meats not good, full of salt, preservative, and things you can't pronounce.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whole foods minimal processing. Box dinners and deli meats not good, full of salt, preservative, and things you can't pronounce.
It was a joke since a "clean" food doesn't exist. By that logic, a bacon cheeseburger can be a clean food.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Well it can be. I can make them at home with 95% lean ground sirloin and it's no worse than a lean steak. I challenge you to find a burger from McDonald's that isn't full of preservatives and god knows what else they mix in. I would guess most people know what would be considered clean foods.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well it can be. I can make them at home with 95% lean ground sirloin and it's no worse than a lean steak. I challenge you to find a burger from McDonald's that isn't full of preservatives and god knows what else they mix in. I would guess most people know what would be considered clean foods.
What does McDonald's have to do with this? It doesn't matter that much as long as fiber and micros are hit. I, and have seen many others, can easily lose fat while eating ice cream.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Because you said a bacon cheeseburger can be considered clean food. The Guy just asked why he isn't gaining weight. The only point is it ain't going to happen eating plants and granola bars and getting under 2000 cal a day. That is all.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because you said a bacon cheeseburger can be considered clean food. The Guy just asked why he isn't gaining weight. The only point is it ain't going to happen eating plants and granola bars and getting under 2000 cal a day. That is all.
Most would argue that it's hard to gain with "clean" food as well. That's usually why most fail with gaining weight; they think they have to eat bro foods.

Killcure666

Awards
Everyone's been right to say you need to increase your calories dramatically. Right now you're sitting at about 2000kcal which is nowhere near enough to gain weight. Add 500kcal daily for a week and see if you gain weight. If not add another 500kcal for another week and see what happens.

Your training routine also sucks. It's not a strong enough stimulus to stimulate growth. Stop using machines and use more compound movements. I don't see squats, deadlifts, military press, or pull ups in there. Big red flags. Add those and progress in strength using a 5x5 program and you'll be sure to add mass.