Front squat-back squat combo on same day!!

jball63

Awards
Anyone experimented with this on same training day. I'm trying to focus on getting stronger and increasing work capacity. Today I'm doing front squats 10x3 and back squats 5x3 with some core work. I alternate this routine with back squat 10x3 and front squat 5x3. I work with 70-80% of my 5 rep max.

manup

Awards
I've done it with good form you will be good if your like me you will feel it the next day

CT3

CT3

Awards
  • Established
I've done a variation of this before. Usually work front squats to sets of 3 then start back squats at that weight and work them to sets of 3.

Right now, I'm doing back squats on Tuesday and front squats on Friday.

If you're looking for something a little different; Finishing off your squats with a set of 20 as heavy as possible without racking will have you staggering, especially after doing multiple heavy sets.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sure I do it when I work a higher volume routine. I don't like to work them together when I am in the 80% range though because it takes away from my top end and form tends to suffer. Now I do a back squat day w/ ham focus and a fr squat day with quad focus in the same week.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think its an awesome superset at times if Im looking to focus more elsewhere. Can really gas ya and get the blood flowing

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
This is a good question! I've been contemplating this myself...Usually I'll do Back Squat, Leg Press & Hammer Strength V-Squat (reversed though)....I do a lot of volume training & for me I found my legs respond to 30+ sets total per workout. But here's a related question...which grip do you use for front squats...Power Clean grip or arms crossed grip? I prefer the arms crossed for more security...

jball63

Awards
This is a good question! I've been contemplating this myself...Usually I'll do Back Squat, Leg Press & Hammer Strength V-Squat (reversed though)....I do a lot of volume training & for me I found my legs respond to 30+ sets total per workout. But here's a related question...which grip do you use for front squats...Power Clean grip or arms crossed grip? I prefer the arms crossed for more security...
I use the clean grip, bar resting on delts. For some reason the arms crossed gives me problems balancing the bar and keeping my elbows up out of the hole.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm trying to focus on getting stronger and increasing work capacity.

Lots of guys do more than one hip and leg move in a session. No problems. Remember too, you can build work capacity, just by slowly doing more, even if it is the same exercise.
90% of the time, I always do a deadlift/scapular retraction move and a style of squat (usually back) in the same pos W/O. (and yes I alternate the intensity, so if I do deads heavy one W/O, I go lighter or medium on say squats and vice versa. )
If you approach it slowly (and do not make yourself sick of it by doing too much at first, then not wanting to try again) you can slowly over time build the capacity to do a lot of hip and back work in a single session. It is another reason too, that assistance exercises can follow the prime mover. ie: Back squats main work then, GM's, lunges, RDL's or any number of other ones.

" ?" When you say you are working with 70%-80% of you 5RM? do you mean you're 1 RM that you are doing 80% of for x5's?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A tip I learned from some PLers I used to lift with for front squats is to do a quick couple sets of high rep curls before. It gets the blood flowing and makes the bar feel a lot easier to hold in the cross arm position. I have been doing it like that forever and it really works.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A tip I learned from some PLers I used to lift with for front squats is to do a quick couple sets of high rep curls before. It gets the blood flowing and makes the bar feel a lot easier to hold in the cross arm position. I have been doing it like that forever and it really works.
Never heard of that before, usually not important but I switch between both. I find my wrists bend more than enough to accommodate the bar for heavier weight versus the cross arm. I use the cross arm for lighter weights. Will need to try those high rep curls before hand soon.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i do it a lot as a standard part of my program.