Frequent Blood Donor Caution

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Back in the day they used to finger prick you to test your iron to see if you qualify to donate. These days they just use your Hgb (hemoglobin).

There is cause for caution IMHO.

When one has sufficient iron (ferritin) their Hgb is usually at or above normal. When one has sufficient Hgb (but at low end of range) their iron (ferritin) can be deficient. It's a causal correlation but none the less a correlation. My HCT and Hgb were nicely placed at the low end of the range (intentional) but my iron (ferritin) has fallen just below normal - not good and it explains some unexplained symptoms.

Honestly I miss the finger prick and the blood sample dropping like a rock to the bottom of the tube of solution.

Just a word of caution to you guys who donate to keep blood less viscous. Keep an eye on your iron (ferritin).

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
They still test my iron with a finger prick, and a couple times almost denied me because my iron was too high.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've gone to both UBS and ARC and they both still give a finger prick but they have been using it to measure Hgb.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
They still test my iron with a finger prick, and a couple times almost denied me because my iron was too high.
Do they put it in a centrifuge and spin it for a minute or so? If so this is not a test for iron but hemoglobin.

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
Do they put it in a centrifuge and spin it for a minute or so? If so this is not a test for iron but hemoglobin.
Nope, they put the blood on some kind of strip. I think my high iron is what has given me so much joint pain. I have all the symptoms of iron being too high.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nope, they put the blood on some kind of strip. I think my high iron is what has given me so much joint pain. I have all the symptoms of iron being too high.
Same here. They prick your finger, take a capillary full of blood, inject it onto a slide and slide it into a test machine. The result is iron level.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So very sorry! Yes, you're right it's hemoglobin! I think I was mislead by the technician saying "we need to test your iron level now". It's RedCross and thanks for setting me straight.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was a regular blood pediatric donor because I was type O and CMV Negative,. Then I started exercising vigorously and my ferritin levels went anemic low. Apparently intensive exercising and the regular blood donations depleted my levels. Back to normal now after supplementing with Iron and eliminating blood donation. Too bad. I would love to donate as well.

The test performed at the blood donor center is only for iron and not ferritin. Too bad.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My last iron (ferritin) check was 10 (Ref: 20-25). After 30 days it was up to 30. I will continue to run the ferritin for another 30 days. Should have me where I want to be again. I feel very significantly better!