Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not sure if the Glute ham raises would be a good idea, with my lower back pain. I will try the romanian dead lifts. I would love to buy more things for my home gym but I dont know what else that is cheaper! I was looking into a vertical leg press... are those good for glutes and quads?
Vertical leg press are great for glutes. Make sure you go nice and deep and play with different leg angles and see where you feel it. Plus with a bad lower back they give you great support (laying on your back). Make sure you warm up and stretch that lower back before you do them. going deep on vertical leg presses will put a stretch on the lower back.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I feel like loaded flexion in that plane would be terrible for your nerve. Could be wrong however but listening to your body is key. As said above just make sure your WmUp is thorough and I'd rather say stretch the most at the end of your workout.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Vertical leg press are great for glutes. Make sure you go nice and deep and play with different leg angles and see where you feel it. Plus with a bad lower back they give you great support (laying on your back). Make sure you warm up and stretch that lower back before you do them. going deep on vertical leg presses will put a stretch on the lower back.
I will see maybe wait till one goes on sale and maybe PT will be over then. Whenever I do leg press at a gym my back doesn't hurt because it feels supported. I wish leg presses were cheap that I could buy one for home lol!

I feel like loaded flexion in that plane would be terrible for your nerve. Could be wrong however but listening to your body is key. As said above just make sure your WmUp is thorough and I'd rather say stretch the most at the end of your workout.
I can see this also with being flat on my back since sometimes that hurts when I lay down and go to bed and that's not lifting anything........

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You are killing this log! Great work KJKitzman!

You have some good advice here on the lower back pain. Foam roller. Or if you really want to get in there, grab a baseball and roll around on the floor with it under where it hurts - when you roll over the spot that hurts...you know that's where you need to work it.

Also, are you squatting heavy? Deadlifting heavy? If so, I completely agree that it is a good idea to go "heavy" on these exercises, but sometimes you need to back off on the intensity and rebuild your form. To do this, go super light - don't even worry about it being challenging; you actually want it to be easy. Then, do 2-3 sets of 10 reps with a weight that seems VERY easy. Like you do it and felt like you didn't do enough. Then, do that 2-3X per week. You want to go light so you can work on PERFECT form and also because doing this every other day will leave you very sore if you jump in at a weight that is challenging. Build the frequency/intensity. By the end of 4-6 weeks you will likely notice a lot of little nagging pains just seem to disappear.

Also - stretches seem to work well for me sometimes - piriformis stretches and hip flexor stretches help a ton for mobility.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

You have some good advice here on the lower back pain. Foam roller. Or if you really want to get in there, grab a baseball and roll around on the floor with it under where it hurts - when you roll over the spot that hurts...you know that's where you need to work it.

Also, are you squatting heavy? Deadlifting heavy? If so, I completely agree that it is a good idea to go "heavy" on these exercises, but sometimes you need to back off on the intensity and rebuild your form. To do this, go super light - don't even worry about it being challenging; you actually want it to be easy. Then, do 2-3 sets of 10 reps with a weight that seems VERY easy. Like you do it and felt like you didn't do enough. Then, do that 2-3X per week. You want to go light so you can work on PERFECT form and also because doing this every other day will leave you very sore if you jump in at a weight that is challenging. Build the frequency/intensity. By the end of 4-6 weeks you will likely notice a lot of little nagging pains just seem to disappear.

Also - stretches seem to work well for me sometimes - piriformis stretches and hip flexor stretches help a ton for mobility.
Excellent advise! watch the baseball it will hurt like a mofo! I use a tennis ball since i'm a wimp.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
kjkitzman, You Looking Great! Keep killing it!
Thank you Sir!

Thank you!! I use foam roller now. I can squat up to 50lbs. I started at 30 or 40 before my bulk. Deadlift is 60lb, probably more but havent tried because of my back. I think form might be killing me. Do you suggest using a weight lifting belt with the heavier weights?

I wish I could have someone in my basement telling me if my form is right.... and since you brought up hip flexors those are always sore for me! So I think I need to stretch these more!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thank you Sir!

Thank you!! I use foam roller now. I can squat up to 50lbs. I started at 30 or 40 before my bulk. Deadlift is 60lb, probably more but havent tried because of my back. I think form might be killing me. Do you suggest using a weight lifting belt with the heavier weights?

I wish I could have someone in my basement telling me if my form is right.... and since you brought up hip flexors those are always sore for me! So I think I need to stretch these more!
Ok...what type of job do you have? Do you sit a lot? Hip flexor shortening from long periods of sitting can cause a lot of back pain. This stretch has helped me a lot:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&********web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6mjBaLVlQWw&ved=0ahUKEwj74qm-nsPUAhWGVj4KHcbUDUgQ3ywIKDAA&usg=AFQjCNHY2_S_l8E_IIj0L45S7ZyjPwv0WQ&sig2=C8_0xkcnmFyC7OBCpoKf7Q

Also...the pigeon pose can be helpful for sciatica and piriformis syndrome.

As far as the dead lifts and squats...not saying this in a demeaning way at all as you work hard and building strength is hard...but if you are lifting those weights you have a lot of strength to build still. It is a mental hurdle sometimes...so building your form can help there too.

The issue with dead lifting such a small amount of weight is that you are using small plates so a deadlift becomes more of a deficit deadlift where you are squatting down excessively in some cases.

In a squat...bending the knees a lot is necessary. In a dead you want to bend your knees much less...maybe half way depending on your structure...and bend at the hips. But with small plates the hip bend can become a reach that places you at a leverage disadvantage.

In other words...it may be worth finding blocks or something to raise the bar off the floor a little, maybe 4-5 inches.

Beyond that I would drop the loads to maybe 20 pounds for 3 sets of 10 every other day. Of course an Olympic bar is 45 so you will need a standard set with a 10 pound bar if you have one?

If you can get a video of your form on the two exercises we could give way more specific answers.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Oh...and for the weight lifting belt...I DO suggest it when using heavier weights. The idea behind it is that when you exert you press outward on your stomach wall...which can lead to an inadvertent tear (hernia) in this wall. The belt allows you to push but provides back pressure so this doesn't happen. It isn't to stiffen the back like people often think. I doubt you will burst a hole in your stomach lining with 100 pounds or less...it does take a bit of force...but it's a good habit and you never know what will go wrong.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Ok...what type of job do you have? Do you sit a lot? Hip flexor shortening from long periods of sitting can cause a lot of back pain. This stretch has helped me a lot:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&********web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6mjBaLVlQWw&ved=0ahUKEwj74qm-nsPUAhWGVj4KHcbUDUgQ3ywIKDAA&usg=AFQjCNHY2_S_l8E_IIj0L45S7ZyjPwv0WQ&sig2=C8_0xkcnmFyC7OBCpoKf7Q

Also...the pigeon pose can be helpful for sciatica and piriformis syndrome.

As far as the dead lifts and squats...not saying this in a demeaning way at all as you work hard and building strength is hard...but if you are lifting those weights you have a lot of strength to build still. It is a mental hurdle sometimes...so building your form can help there too.

The issue with dead lifting such a small amount of weight is that you are using small plates so a deadlift becomes more of a deficit deadlift where you are squatting down excessively in some cases.

In a squat...bending the knees a lot is necessary. In a dead you want to bend your knees much less...maybe half way depending on your structure...and bend at the hips. But with small plates the hip bend can become a reach that places you at a leverage disadvantage.

In other words...it may be worth finding blocks or something to raise the bar off the floor a little, maybe 4-5 inches.

Beyond that I would drop the loads to maybe 20 pounds for 3 sets of 10 every other day. Of course an Olympic bar is 45 so you will need a standard set with a 10 pound bar if you have one?

If you can get a video of your form on the two exercises we could give way more specific answers.
I have a desk job, I actually work in a prison. I try to get up as much as I can, every 30 minutes. I did squat (goblet)70lbs this weekend which was the most I ever have. I think I need help with form and working on it everyday.

I noticed that too that maybe getting something to set the plates on since they are smaller. My current barbell weighs 30lbs, so maybe just using that.

I will try to get a video. Can you post videos on here? lol

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have a desk job, I actually work in a prison. I try to get up as much as I can, every 30 minutes. I did squat (goblet)70lbs this weekend which was the most I ever have. I think I need help with form and working on it everyday.

I noticed that too that maybe getting something to set the plates on since they are smaller. My current barbell weighs 30lbs, so maybe just using that.

I will try to get a video. Can you post videos on here? lol
you can post videos.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Update: Sitting between 134-136 lbs. Thoughts on going up on calories? I have less than 6 weeks left of this bulk and then I will be doing a 10 week cut for vacation to trim the fat, slowly hopefully.

Calories last 14 days:

06-07 = 2275kcal – 135.6lbs
06-08 = 2425kcal – 136lbs
06-09 = 2000kcal – 135.6lbs - REST day
06-10 = 2550kcal – 135.4lbs
06-11 = 2775kcal – 133.2lbs
06-12 = 2475kcal – 135.8lbs
06-13 = 2375kcal – 135.4lbs
06-14 = 2000kcal – 135lbs - REST day
06-15 = 2025kcal – 134lbs
06-16 = 2050kcal – 134.6lbs - CARDIO only
06-17 = 2625kcal – 136lbs
06-18 = 2525kcal – no weigh in
06-19 = 2400kcal – 136.4lbs
06-20 = 1875kcal – 134.8lbs - REST day

06-21 (Today) I weighed in at 134lbs.

Just wondering if I need to up my calories. I am not super hungry on rest days, which I have once a week, sometimes twice(normally just do LISS for 30 min). I ended my cut at 129 and currently up a solid 4-5lbs. Below are pictures from yesterday. Not the best lighting...
2.png

first.PNG

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
4 to 5 pounds is solid especially but with almost 6 weeks to go I would bump up around 200 calories. Take full advantage of the calories while you can before your cut.
Looks like you are doing it slowly enough to keep fat gain down and put on some quality muslce.
Keep Killing it! Looking great

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Eat woman!

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Eat woman!
Lol how much? Macros ..... I was thinking doing 2,500kcal - 280g carbs - 80g - fats 155g protein

Can I through in some none tracking days like eat what I want until full? I feel like I have been able to eat more but still restricting like instead of getting a burger at a restaurant I will go for the chicken or turkey burger.... struggle.

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Lol how much? Macros ..... I was thinking doing 2,500kcal - 280g carbs - 80g - fats 155g protein

Can I through in some none tracking days like eat what I want until full? I feel like I have been able to eat more but still restricting like instead of getting a burger at a restaurant I will go for the chicken or turkey burger.... struggle.
Those numbers look good and yes I don't see a problem having a couple non tracked days during a bulk as long as you keep it in check and just eat till you are full.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Honestly I think there's too much focus on numbers and while it doesn't kill ya to know, it's also overkill this late in the bulking phase. Adding a 4-6oz portion of lean meat and veggies is the easiest. I'm glad your eating more carbs but if your at the restaurant and you want that beef, get it! Adding in some form of additional activity to keep your body using those calories is more important when shifting to recomposition. Recomping before cutting simply allows you a greater chance to keep the strength gains without going towards a calorie deficit.

I think those cals are solid and a trip to the buffet while using FD2.0 hasn't killed anyone! Check the facts on that

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Honestly I think there's too much focus on numbers and while it doesn't kill ya to know, it's also overkill this late in the bulking phase. Adding a 4-6oz portion of lean meat and veggies is the easiest. I'm glad your eating more carbs but if your at the restaurant and you want that beef, get it! Adding in some form of additional activity to keep your body using those calories is more important when shifting to recomposition. Recomping before cutting simply allows you a greater chance to keep the strength gains without going towards a calorie deficit.

I think those cals are solid and a trip to the buffet while using FD2.0 hasn't killed anyone! Check the facts on that
Reassurance needed here. And who said buffet? Cuz I be there!

Also is a 10 week cut sufficant, or less or more? Should I lower my cals slowly if its 10 weeks.

I was going to use Radiate once I start lower calories but didnt know if I should still use FD2 during also.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Reassurance needed here. And who said buffet? Cuz I be there!

Also is a 10 week cut sufficant, or less or more? Should I lower my cals slowly if its 10 weeks.

I was going to use Radiate once I start lower calories but didnt know if I should still use FD2 during also.
I find it hard to cut with FD2, some people have had great success with it during a cut.
as far as cut length: that is up to you, cut until your happy with the results.
Be realistic, we are always harder on ourselves than other people.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
I find it hard to cut with FD2, some people have had great success with it during a cut.
as far as cut length: that is up to you, cut until your happy with the results.
Be realistic, we are always harder on ourselves than other people.
What makes cutting hard with FD2?

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What makes cutting hard with FD2?
For me it keeps my muscle full and can't get that shredded look. (not a bad thing) I can lose body fat on FD2 but I don't get a lot of serrations in my muscles. hope this make sense? I prefer to lose body fat and gain muscle mass (FD2 is great for me when it comes to this).
I'm also what they call thick skinned. my oldest son is like my father in law and has thin skin and his veins pop out everywhere.

Note: There are guys that have cut on FD2. this is just me.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
paul56778 is pretty shredded and takes FD2.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
For me it keeps my muscle full and can't get that shredded look. (not a bad thing) I can lose body fat on FD2 but I don't get a lot of serrations in my muscles. hope this make sense? I prefer to lose body fat and gain muscle mass (FD2 is great for me when it comes to this).
I'm also what they call thick skinned. my oldest son is like my father in law and has thin skin and his veins pop out everywhere.

Gotcha we will see I guess when it comes to it. I might just go off of it a save it for the higher calories :)

brundel

brundel

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Add an AI to the mix.

Letrone will increase test, hgh, igf1, will increase thyroid function so metabolism is increased.

Estrogen drops which will help drain out subcutaneous water.

I do Letrone plus dandelion extract then when I know Im gonna be by the pool for a few days or on vacation Ill cut carbs and carb up while dropping water. Gets me so dry Im a fire hazard.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Add an AI to the mix.

Letrone will increase test, hgh, igf1, will increase thyroid function so metabolism is increased.

I do Letrone plus dandelion extract then when I know Im gonna be by the pool for a few days or on vacation Ill cut carbs and carb up while dropping water. Gets me so dry Im a fire hazard.
Thanks brother. Might try Letrone, never used it. Even at my age my estrogen is pretty low. Usually when I take and AI it kills my labido.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Add an AI to the mix.

Isn't Letrone a estrogen blocker? And I am a Female... And I am not cutting anything on vacation, I eat everything and drink everything that I want lol

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Isn't Letrone a estrogen blocker? And I am a Female... And I am not cutting anything on vacation, I eat everything and drink everything that I want lol
Think that's just for Studpony there lol

CJNator

Awards
If you're looking to add something g to help loose fat, check your local CVS or Walgreens pharmacy for bronkaid. 25mg and 100mgs+ of caffeine twice a day would be sufficient imo. Glad everything is running smoothly!

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This was for me! Aka stud pony.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Thank you! I think for the last 6 weeks I am going to do band work for glutes everyday I train and then obviously the two days are lower body days that I life for. Do you think that will be OK?

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thank you! I think for the last 6 weeks I am going to do band work for glutes everyday I train and then obviously the two days are lower body days that I life for. Do you think that will be OK?
Yes that would work fine

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Been a little MIA - had about 9 days off of work. Weighed in at my heaviest - 137lb but i think its from a ton of sodium from this weekend. We will see what I weigh in at tomorrow

Been doing lower body days twice a week and glute activation and band work 4 days a week. Only 3-4 weeks left of this bulk :( crying over here

Still doing PT for low back pain and sciatic pain. Sciatic pain has no subsided super stoked!

download (2).png

End of Cut --> NOW

download (1).png

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Quads look great!

brundel

brundel

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yah looking great. Legs really improved! Good job.
Also dont forget I said I would give you another bottle of FD2.
You can use it to continue or run it in your cut phase. Your going to continue to log right?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Way to make some serious progress gal!

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Definitely a successful bulk. Keep Killing it

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Thank you everyone!! I have really enjoyed FD2 - And feel so much stronger. Don't get me wrong I have defintiely ate a lot of good feel foods and I think FD2 always helped elevate some of that fat gain.

Yah looking great. Legs really improved! Good job.
Also dont forget I said I would give you another bottle of FD2.
You can use it to continue or run it in your cut phase. Your going to continue to log right?
YES please! I would love to run this through my cut. I still have one bottle left, just finishing up my third bottle. I will continue to log through my cut and then vacation will be October 8th.

I plan to cut from August 1-October 8th. Do you think that is a enough time, too much time?

I am currently eating about 2,300-2,500 calories a day (rest days at 2,000). What should I start my calories at for my cut?

I planned on using FD2 and Radiate for my supps along with the typical supps (protein, BCAA's, high volume, fish oil, multi-v)

PS - weighed in today at 135lb (dropped 2 lbs of water weight I am assuming from all that sodium :) )

brundel

brundel

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thank you everyone!! I have really enjoyed FD2 - And feel so much stronger. Don't get me wrong I have defintiely ate a lot of good feel foods and I think FD2 always helped elevate some of that fat gain.

YES please! I would love to run this through my cut. I still have one bottle left, just finishing up my third bottle. I will continue to log through my cut and then vacation will be October 8th.

I plan to cut from August 1-October 8th. Do you think that is a enough time, too much time?

I am currently eating about 2,300-2,500 calories a day (rest days at 2,000). What should I start my calories at for my cut?

I planned on using FD2 and Radiate for my supps along with the typical supps (protein, BCAA's, high volume, fish oil, multi-v)

PS - weighed in today at 135lb (dropped 2 lbs of water weight I am assuming from all that sodium :) )
I dont think thats too long. Honestly the longer you have the less muscle youll lose because you can adjust cals down at a slower rate.
I think cut 200 cals a week until you get to target calories and then sustain.
Can reduce carbs a bit and increase cardio a bit in the last weeks.
Should be easy.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
I dont think thats too long. Honestly the longer you have the less muscle youll lose because you can adjust cals down at a slower rate.
I think cut 200 cals a week until you get to target calories and then sustain.
Can reduce carbs a bit and increase cardio a bit in the last weeks.
Should be easy.
Last time I cut from 134lb to 129lb in about 7 weeks. I was taking in 1650kcal a day. Do you think I could start at like 2,000kcal like you said and still lose fat? Do you think my cut will be different since I am incorporating FD2?

Should I keep carbs and protein about the same even in fat loss phase? I was thinking 250g carbs, 150g protein, 67g fats for 40/30/30

FYI - I get up to 250g-300g of carbs right now.

brundel

brundel

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Last time I cut from 134lb to 129lb in about 7 weeks. I was taking in 1650kcal a day. Do you think I could start at like 2,000kcal like you said and still lose fat? Do you think my cut will be different since I am incorporating FD2?

Should I keep carbs and protein about the same even in fat loss phase? I was thinking 250g carbs, 150g protein, 67g fats for 40/30/30

FYI - I get up to 250g-300g of carbs right now.
Yes if you drop 500 cals youll see a difference.
Yes FD2 will change things alot.
I would shift to taking in more of your cals from fats and reduce carbs. Like 100 fat/200 carb 150 pro. Remember, good fat doesnt make you fat.
IN fact it will help you burn fat. Carbs make people fat and excessive calories. Ideally though during a cut carbs are reduced.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
subbed. Doing a 2 bottle cut with this shortly, have to read your log in more detail as my girlfriend is interested also

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Yes if you drop 500 cals youll see a difference.
Yes FD2 will change things alot.
I would shift to taking in more of your cals from fats and reduce carbs. Like 100 fat/200 carb 150 pro. Remember, good fat doesnt make you fat.
IN fact it will help you burn fat. Carbs make people fat and excessive calories. Ideally though during a cut carbs are reduced.
I think I will start at 2,000kcal my first two weeks and see if the scale moves.

Good fats such as fats that are in meats, avocado, coconut oil? And does peanut butter count? LOL

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
subbed. Doing a 2 bottle cut with this shortly, have to read your log in more detail as my girlfriend is interested also
I love FD2. I have been able to eat so much, and not always clean food and haven't gained much excess fat. I have been stronger than ever, super good pumps, and I can see the muscle growth via pictures!

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I love FD2. I have been able to eat so much, and not always clean food and haven't gained much excess fat. I have been stronger than ever, super good pumps, and I can see the muscle growth via pictures!
cool, thanks for logging. Your log and a few others I saw with before/after pics are what got me to shell out the dough...

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Deadlift was up to 70lbs this weekend and hip thrust was 50lb. Major strength gains.
download.png

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the gains! keep pushing!