Favourite clean meal

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The carbs and calories are exactly the same, it's the nutrition and insulin spikes that are different
Exactly, so even though they have the same "nutrition fact" appearance, they aren't completely interchangeable or equal, so I suppose it can be said that simply "a calorie is a calorie" may not paint 100% of the picture, although it does hold a good deal of truth (contrary to what some people believe, you can gain weight eating only chicken and salad if you eat too much of it, and you can lose weight and still have ice cream or cake).

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
any meal that keeps my waist tight

Recently, Ive been eating Filet mignon steak, cooked with mushrooms and its so good.

jt75

jt75

Awards
  • Established
Roasted tomato and red pepper soup with BBQ brisket and broccoli sandwich, dipping the sandwich into the soup

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get what you're saying, and moderation is the key, but there is a difference between 50g carbs from oats or sweet potato compared to 50g carbs from high fructose corn syrup. Again, moderation is the key, but I do think there will be a difference over time eating sweet potatoes than drinking a soda matched for carbs/calories.
This is true but who eats solely carbs without the presence of fats or protein?

Eat 5oz of steak with 2 cup of rice and check BG

Eat 5oz of steak with 1/2c rice and a can of Mountain Dew then check BG

They will very by a minute amount (5pts or less)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is true but who eats solely carbs without the presence of fats or protein?

Eat 5oz of steak with 2 cup of rice and check BG

Eat 5oz of steak with 1/2c rice and a can of Mountain Dew then check BG

They will very by a minute amount (5pts or less)
Fair enough, but I still say that replacing that can of Mountain Dew (assuming you have one with every meal every day) with equal carb/calorie content of something like more rice will probably be better in the long run. Of course, there's nothing wrong with Mountain Dew in moderation, especially if it fits in your macros, but that doesn't mean we should just make a daily habit of replacing half of our whole-food carb sources with soda and assume it's exactly equivalent in the long term.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All the products we put in our body on this site I think a little bit of sugar is the least damaging lol

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All the products we put in our body on this site I think a little bit of sugar is the least damaging lol
Haha, that is a good point, and I regularly drink things like Gatorade and iced tea; I was just trying to say that moderation is key, and any "general rule" is just that, and shouldn't be taken to extremes or as absolute truth (things like a calorie is a calorie for example).

sandpig

sandpig

Awards
  • Established
But would you consider someone like Jay Cutler healthy? yes he is massive and I am a big admirer of his but his body probably isn't that healthy.
All I'm saying is not all food is created equally. A carb is not a carb, there are good carbs and there are bad carbs
As someone who has eaten with Jay quite a few times, I can tell you that he doesn't eat much crap at all.

Except Lays potato chips. He loves those damn things.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha, that is a good point, and I regularly drink things like Gatorade and iced tea; I was just trying to say that moderation is key, and any "general rule" is just that, and shouldn't be taken to extremes or as absolute truth (things like a calorie is a calorie for example).
I just had 2 table spoons of cookie butter lol
I agree it's all about moderation

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
I'd eat salmon and veggies every day if I could afford it. But it's gotta be a nice fatty piece of salmon.

As far as the clean foods debate, I always feel 10x better when I've gotten all my calories from natural whole foods. Recently I've started eating steel cut oats with raisins walnuts, apples and Kerry gold made with milk and whey. I used to rationalize eating pecan rolls based of a carb is a carb. I feel a complete difference in energy during my sunday workouts which usually take an hour and half. Also, when insulin spikes testosterone production goes down. Now everyone is "low T" and the Dr. will sell you testosterone but won't tell you the carbs you are eating are feminizing you and disregulate your hormonal system...But a carb is a carb, right?

Now if you are taking things that manipulate anabolics and never eat clean you may not care, and those things will have more effect than just diet and I have no experience there so I can't speak on it. But if you eat "clean" for a long time your body will begin to feel the effects when you don't. There is definitely something to it.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This exactly, I was expressing my views off the fact of moderation and enjoying your life and not labeling food.
Really, you negged me for saying this:
I get what you're saying, and moderation is the key, but there is a difference between 50g carbs from oats or sweet potato compared to 50g carbs from high fructose corn syrup. Again, moderation is the key, but I do think there will be a difference over time eating sweet potatoes than drinking a soda matched for carbs/calories.
I agreed with you that moderation is the key, but pointed out the obvious fact that consistent/continued/regular consumption of soda compared to sweet potatoes or oats is not going to be exactly the same. That seems pretty obvious, and I was in no way saying that you should never have soda, just agreeing that moderation is the key while still pointing out the obvious fact that it's probably not the best idea to replace all your "good" whole-food carb sources with soda with the "justification" that it's ok/equal because it has the same calorie/carb content and therefore will be the exact same thing over time.