Evomuse gut health question

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Ok so I just started gut health 3 days ago still on the 2 caps pre-bed. My question is I may be drinking this next weekend and if not sometime after that. I remember reading somewhere that this messes with the probiotics in gut health uve been putting into ur stomach and I believe one person said just to take 2 caps the next day and then go back to 1 cap. I'm just curious will alcohol really mess with gut health. And if so would u be able to get back into a "balanced" state quickly or would u have to do 2 caps a day for 5 days again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I can't really comment on the extent to which alcohol impacts intestinal bacteria, but I recently read a double-blind study that concluded alcohol consumption and being attracted to really ugly women are positively correlated.

I avoid bro-science, instead relying solely on scientific fact.

I hope that was helpful.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I can't really comment on the extent to which alcohol impacts intestinal bacteria, but I recently read a double-blind study that concluded alcohol consumption and being attracted to really ugly women are positively correlated.

I avoid bro-science, instead relying solely on scientific fact.

I hope that was helpful.
That was very helpful I always enjoy scientific studies. Does anyone else have an answer more geared towards my question?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
domore Geoforce

I'm sure either of these two may help you.

domore

Awards
domore Geoforce

I'm sure either of these two may help you.
Thanks for alerting me of this thread, jiigzz.

Contributing as always, Ben. Appreciate it.

OP,

The gut microbiome is a fascinating thing. I have some reading for you to do. Here is a great write up on the gut flora written by Zir Red: Considering probiotics for health and performance? | Jason Cholewa - Assistant Professor of Exercise Science at Coastal Carolina University. He goes into detail of its purpose, problems associated with colonic micriobiota imbalance, and the concept of probiotics.

And to your question, Jason writes a small portion on exactly that:

While the majority consumed alcohol is absorbed in the small intestine, several consequences occur downstream in the colon. It is widely suggested that alcohol “kills” commensal microbiota; however, more research is needed before definite conclusions can be drawn. Alcohol consumption does, however, disrupt several metabolic processes that are intimately connected with resident colonic microbiota.

First, alcohol consumption damages the digestive mucosa (Kvietys et al., 1990). Second, and perhaps most important, alcohol consumption compromises gut-barrier function and increases the translocation of microbe derived lipopolysaccharide (LPS). LPS is transported via the portal vein where it is detoxified by the liver, resulting in hepatic inflammation. LPS is also aB. subtilisorbed by the lymphatic system and emptied directly into circulation, causing a release of inflammatory cytokines, and resulting in amplified inflammation and damage in the brain, liver, lung and heart (Wang et al., 2010). Finally, alcohol consumption significantly reduces thiamin (vitamin B1) and biotin absorption (Subramanya et al., 2010).
Here are a few other studies involving alcohol, the gut microbiome, SIBO, inflammation, etc:

Colonic microbiome is altered in alcoholism | Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology
Moderate alcohol consumption is associated with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, study finds
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2842521/

You can also do some research on alcohol induced dysbiosis.

With all this said, I'm not sure how much of an effect a couple drinks will have on gut flora. Many of these studies involving dysbiosis were month long studies with daily alcohol consumption (or better said, administration, if it was a rat study). I wouldn't sweat it over a couple drinks. I'm not going to draw any correlations from those studies to say, specifically, that two drinks would warrant an increased dosage. If you are consistently drinking, then that is a different story. For possible preventative measures (in your case after a couple drinks) and comfort of mind, you could increase the dosage of the probiotic.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

OP,

The gut microbiome is a fascinating thing. I have some reading for you to do. Here is a great write up on the gut flora written by Zir Red: Considering probiotics for health and performance? | Jason Cholewa - Assistant Professor of Exercise Science at Coastal Carolina University. He goes into detail of its purpose, problems associated with colonic micriobiota imbalance, and the concept of probiotics.

Here are a few other studies involving alcohol, the gut microbiome, SIBO, inflammation, etc:

Colonic microbiome is altered in alcoholism | Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology
Moderate alcohol consumption is associated with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, study finds

With all this said, I'm not sure how much of an effect a couple drinks will have on gut flora. Many of these studies involving dysbiosis were month long studies with daily alcohol consumption (or better said, administration, if it was a rat study). I wouldn't sweat it over a couple drinks. I'm not going to draw any correlations from those studies to say, specifically, that two drinks would warrant an increased dosage. If you are consistently drinking, then that is a different story. For possible preventative measures (in your case after a couple drinks) and comfort of mind, you could increase the dosage of the probiotic.
No problem and well answered. :D

SoupNaziNazi

Awards

OP,

Wow bro beans that was real informative and ill look at those readings thanks for the advice

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I have another question, I know most people say they take gut health pre-bed which is what I have been doing. But would it work better if u took its before ur heaviest protein meal of the day?