Elevation training mask

r6lift

r6lift

Awards
  • Established
I've seen this product advertised by UFC fighters and it seem to work well for them while doing their workouts, like giving them more lung capacity or some sort like that. Any of you fellas use this product while training? Pro's and con's? would you recommend it? Looking for some input from real users here. THanks.

-r6 ---> r1

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I've seen this product advertised by UFC fighters and it seem to work well for them while doing their workouts, like giving them more lung capacity or some sort like that. Any of you fellas use this product while training? Pro's and con's? would you recommend it? Looking for some input from real users here. THanks.

-r6 ---> r1
I have used them and have also made/used a home-made version. I manage a training studio and I have access to equipment when we are closed, so I channeled my inner Vanderlei Silva!

I grabbed a snorkel and stuck a wine cork into the end to block it off. I then used a screwdriver and drywall screw to make 2 holes in the upper part of the snorkel. This saves you $100+ and gives you the same benefit.

Interval cardio with that snorkel in is TOUGH! It is hard to keep your body from sucking in air through your nose, but its worth it. I try to hit 1-2 cardio sessions per week in this manner for sports-performance.

Using the snorkel, at least if you don't like it or don't stick to it you don't have an expensive peice of workout gear collecting dust. If you like it, you can buy a real version. Bas Rutten has the cheapest version out there at $50 http://www.amazon.com/Official-Bas-Rutten-O2-Trainer/dp/B004V6R9XA . The mask version seems like it would stay on easier though....

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just use a mouth piece

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a huge waste of money. Hypoxia is something that takes hours to take effect (hence why people sleep/train in altitude).

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about for strengthening the respiratory muscles and inspiratory drive? I believe it would serve that purpose, though how much it would benefit performance...?

Br

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What about for strengthening the respiratory muscles and inspiratory drive? I believe it would serve that purpose, though how much it would benefit performance...?

Br
Psychologically if you can push through Interval Training with a snorkel on, I think it can help you dig deep at the end of a long shift or get that last jump of speed you need when you're already tired.

I wouldn't spend too much money on it because its something that I think most people would do for a while and then stop using.

r6lift

r6lift

Awards
  • Established
I have used them and have also made/used a home-made version. I manage a training studio and I have access to equipment when we are closed, so I channeled my inner Vanderlei Silva!

I grabbed a snorkel and stuck a wine cork into the end to block it off. I then used a screwdriver and drywall screw to make 2 holes in the upper part of the snorkel. This saves you $100+ and gives you the same benefit.

Interval cardio with that snorkel in is TOUGH! It is hard to keep your body from sucking in air through your nose, but its worth it. I try to hit 1-2 cardio sessions per week in this manner for sports-performance.

Using the snorkel, at least if you don't like it or don't stick to it you don't have an expensive peice of workout gear collecting dust. If you like it, you can buy a real version. Bas Rutten has the cheapest version out there at $50 http://www.amazon.com/Official-Bas-Rutten-O2-Trainer/dp/B004V6R9XA . The mask version seems like it would stay on easier though....
thats a good idea right there man. if you don't mind, will you post a pic up of your home made stuff so i could see how it works. as for the bas rutten one, have you used it before? compare that to the elevation mask which one would you prefer disregarding the price?

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
thats a good idea right there man. if you don't mind, will you post a pic up of your home made stuff so i could see how it works. as for the bas rutten one, have you used it before? compare that to the elevation mask which one would you prefer disregarding the price?
Its in my gym bag I'll put a pic up tomorrow but its pretty "ghetto".

I was looking into the Bas Ruten one, but I wanted to make sure it would be something I used continuously before I ordered it and made the home-made version to give it a dry run. I did it religiously for a few weeks, then I began using it less and now it might get used once or twice a month.

r6lift

r6lift

Awards
  • Established
Its in my gym bag I'll put a pic up tomorrow but its pretty "ghetto".

I was looking into the Bas Ruten one, but I wanted to make sure it would be something I used continuously before I ordered it and made the home-made version to give it a dry run. I did it religiously for a few weeks, then I began using it less and now it might get used once or twice a month.
ghetto or not, it doesn't matter its for individual use only. were you able to notice some kind of result or effect from using it? i'll probably use it couple hours before doing hiit cardio and throughout the workout to test it out.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
ghetto or not, it doesn't matter its for individual use only. were you able to notice some kind of result or effect from using it? i'll probably use it couple hours before doing hiit cardio and throughout the workout to test it out.
Well like Rodja had stated, on paper this may not be the missing link you're looking for - but you can't argue with the fact that many of the best MMA fighters past and present have utelized this in their training. wanderlei silva is the first person I ever saw use this method, he used a snokel and a nose clamp - now you see many fighters using the gas-mask version which probably works better and has different levels of filters to either lessen or increase the resistance. Bas Rutten was another advocate of the low-oxygen training and he even sells his own version.

Maybe this won't affect your number of red blood cells/level of oxygen utelization as well as the vendors would argue, but this can definitely help you get used to training well out of your comfort zone. Basically this is good (in my opinion) for getting you used to pushing past the point of perceived exhaustion, or getting you used to breathing with your opponents glove/arm/head/body over your mouth.

Basically what I'm saying is this may be a more useful tool for your mind than your body.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well like Rodja had stated, on paper this may not be the missing link you're looking for - but you can't argue with the fact that many of the best MMA fighters past and present have utelized this in their training. wanderlei silva is the first person I ever saw use this method, he used a snokel and a nose clamp - now you see many fighters using the gas-mask version which probably works better and has different levels of filters to either lessen or increase the resistance. Bas Rutten was another advocate of the low-oxygen training and he even sells his own version.

Maybe this won't affect your number of red blood cells/level of oxygen utelization as well as the vendors would argue, but this can definitely help you get used to training well out of your comfort zone. Basically this is good (in my opinion) for getting you used to pushing past the point of perceived exhaustion, or getting you used to breathing with your opponents glove/arm/head/body over your mouth.

Basically what I'm saying is this may be a more useful tool for your mind than your body.
Just to play devil's advocate, the fight that Wand got past a minute while using these methods, he gassed after the first round (against Franklin).

I've always said that the best way to improve both your conditioning and composure is to spar 2-3 rounds after you're already exhausted.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just to play devil's advocate, the fight that Wand got past a minute while using these methods, he gassed after the first round (against Franklin).

I've always said that the best way to improve both your conditioning and composure is to spar 2-3 rounds after you're already exhausted.
I"m far from an MMA expert, I'm sure you're much more well versed than I am.

I agree with you for sure, low oxygen is just another weapon in the MMA arsenal. If you're hitting the air bike anyways, why not make it a little tougher

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer

Wandy was much more impressive in Pride - I thought with the more liberal elbow rules he would run the show in UFC, but obviously not.

Maybe its due to the stricter testing here in the states vs Japan

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I"m far from an MMA expert, I'm sure you're much more well versed than I am.

I agree with you for sure, low oxygen is just another weapon in the MMA arsenal. If you're hitting the air bike anyways, why not make it a little tougher
As with any emerging market, MMA S&C is all about trends and novelty. I hear more frequently than not that fighters are overtrained by the time they get into the cage (I'm guilty of this as well) because it really is a fine line to walk as most are cutting weight throughout their camps. I think things like this have only added confusion about S&C for a fight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wandy was much more impressive in Pride - I thought with the more liberal elbow rules he would run the show in UFC, but obviously not.

Maybe its due to the stricter testing here in the states vs Japan
Age, injuries, and wars have made him a shell of his former self. His peak was v Jackson II and he's been on a slow decline since then.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Age, injuries, and wars have made him a shell of his former self. His peak was v Jackson II and he's been on a slow decline since then.
Watching him was so electrifying, those old school pride grand-prix tournaments were so entertaining.

The thing I loved about his fights was that every single blow was thrown with the intent to kill his opponent. He and Cro-Cop are still my all-time favorite fighters to watch.

ginkgo

Awards
i heard blowing up ballons can help with lung capacity.