Effect of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (Randomized, Double-Blinded)

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Great post from Brad Schoenfeld

"Just pubbed-ahead-of-print! Study I collaborated on investigating the effects of CLA on body comp. Another reminder that you can't necessarily extrapolate the results of animal studies to people. CLA seems to work really well if you're a pudgy hamster; not so much if you're a human…"

Effect of Conjugated Linoleic Acid Associated With Aerobic Exercise on Body Fat and Lipid Profile in Obese Women: A Randomized, Double-Blinded and Placebo-Controlled Trial

Ribeiro AS1, Pina FL, Dodero SR, Silva DR, Schoenfeld BJ, Sugihara Júnior P, Fernandes RR, Barbosa DS, Cyrino ES, Tirapegui J.

Abstract
The aim of this study was to analyze the effects of eight weeks of CLA supplementation associated with aerobic exercise on body fat and lipid profile in obese women. We performed a randomized, double-blinded and placebo-controlled trial with 28 obese women who received 3.2 g/d of CLA or 4 g/d of olive oil (placebo group) while performing an 8-week protocol of aerobic exercise. Dietary intake (food record), body fat (DXA) and biochemical analysis (blood sample) were assessed before and after the intervention period. Independent of CLA supplementation, both groups improved (p < 0.05) oxygen uptake (CLA: 13.2%; PLC: 14.8%), trunk fat (CLA: -1.0%; PLC: -0.5%), leg fat (CLA: -1.0%; PLC: -1.6%) and total body fat (CLA: -1.7%; PLC: -1.3%) after the 8 week intervention. No main effect or group by time interaction was found for total cholesterol, triglycerides, and plasma lipoproteins (p > 0.05). We conclude that CLA supplementation associated with aerobic exercise has no effect on body fat reduction and lipid profile improvements over placebo in young adult obese women.

Effect of Conjugated Linoleic Acid Associated With Aerobic Exercise on Body Fat and Lipid Profile in Obese Women: A Randomized, Double-Blinded and ... - PubMed - NCBI

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The only two things I remember from using a CLA supplement (which seems like 20 years ago...didn't realize people were still using it) is that it didn't help me lose any additional fat, but it did increase incidence of GI distress.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just another study and reasoning why CLA is garbage. Yet plenty still use it for that oh so wonderful fat loss and body composition benefits.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
how is olive oil a placebo if it too has an impact on blood lipids cholesterol etc? Wouldn't that skew the results?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how is olive oil a placebo if it too has an impact on blood lipids cholesterol etc? Wouldn't that skew the results?
I'd think so, and the dosages of CLA were extremely low...Also the study was done on obese women. Plus it's just an abstract. So it doesn't really prove anything useful at all.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd think so, and the dosages of CLA were extremely low...Also the study was done on obese women. Plus it's just an abstract. So it doesn't really prove anything useful at all.
3.2 grams is actually the recommended dose for CLA.

Obese individuals are typically used in CLA studies it seems.

Doesn't matter though, I wouldn't waste money on it or ever recommend it anyways.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
3.2 grams is actually the recommended dose for CLA.

Obese individuals are typically used in CLA studies it seems.

Doesn't matter though, I wouldn't waste money on it or ever recommend it anyways.
x2 man completely agreed