Doing HIIT after upper body workout?

someguy1984

Awards
Alright, i'm following this routine that seemed good to me.

Day 1

Barbell bent over row
Seated cable rows
Dumbbell rows

Chest

Bench press
Incline flys
Decline dumbbell press

HIIT for 15-18mins
Abs
standing calf raises. Short heavy

Day 2

Full squats
deadlifts
Leg press
another leg machine

Biceps
About 3 different exercises

Day 3

Pull

Lat pull downs
pull overs

Push

Dumbbell press
Standing barbell press
Abs
Seated calves, long sets

Day 4

Squats, lighter weight
Deadlifts heavier weight
Leg press
another leg machine

Triceps
About 3 different exercises

To clarify. Day 1 will be Monday. Day 2 will be Tuesday. Day 3 will Wednesday and Day 4 will be Friday. I will perform HIIT again on Thursday and Saturdays. (My rest days)

Two questions. Is it ok for me to do HIIT on Day1? Also, how does the routine look? I feel like i need to add more to lats on day 3, but i don't know what to do...

Feel free to add or have input. The idea of this workout is to not hit the muscle groups to much, but focus on legs twice a week with the big compound lifts. (for hypertrophy)

I'm eating under maintenance, because i want to cut body fat, but i will have carbs before and after workout sessions. (I eat under 20g of carbs on off days)

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't do HIIT On training days, that might be over working the body too much.

As for chest day I really don't see the need for decline, incline sure, but I would get rid of the decline and make the flat bench and dumbbell bench your bread and butter of chest. How is it working for you so far?

someguy1984

Awards
I wouldn't do HIIT On training days, that might be over working the body too much.

As for chest day I really don't see the need for decline, incline sure, but I would get rid of the decline and make the flat bench and dumbbell bench your bread and butter of chest. How is it working for you so far?
Well so far i'm getting stronger and started to weigh less. (somehow) I eat under maintenance, but i also increase my weight. When i weighed 156lbs i was deadlifting about 135. When i first started i would be sore deadlifting 85lbs, lol. But, i never did it before then. Today, i deadlifted 185lbs 10 times...I also weigh 149lbs.

For chest, i do 3 sets of 155lbs. For flys, i do 40lbs in each arm. I do about the same, maybe a little more for decline press.

I think your right about the overkill. I was in the gym a long time on DAY 1. I just really like exercising now. I feel great while i'm there and after. I just don't know how to separate my days and still hit every muscle...?

4 days seems like the way to go. Although, if i lift 4 days a week, it seems difficult to fit in HIIT 3 days a week...Maybe i should lift 3 days a week and do HIIT on off days?

If so, what routine should i go with to hit everything accordingly?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
If your nutrition is right on HIIT after weights for only 15 minutes is fine.

If you want to do it longer say on off days I would setup like so:

M-Chest/triceps
T- HIIT cardio 30minutes followed by 30 min low intensity cardio
W-Biceps/Back
TH-same as T
F-Off
S-Legs/delt
Sund-off

I have a day off before and after legs day as your legs will need the rest and you'll burn a boatload of cals that day, granted you hit legs hard. If you find you want to speed up fatloss a little more and are keeping strength you can add 30min low intensity cardio after weights.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Well with the diet i'm on i've been losing weight and getting stronger at the same time, that's the wonder of low carb recomp dieting in my case.

Right now for me I do something like.

Day 1: Chest triceps
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: back/biceps
Day 4: Shoulders/HIIT
Day 5: HIIT/Fullbody work
Day 6: Rest/carb up
Day 7: Rest/carb up.

I know I have my own day for shoulders, I have an impingment so I throw around when I work shoulders and have one day to work them on their lonesome. When I go low carb for more than that my workouts change accordingly.

I don't do HIIT after leg days but I do them before.

someguy1984

Awards
Well with the diet i'm on i've been losing weight and getting stronger at the same time, that's the wonder of low carb recomp dieting in my case.

Right now for me I do something like.

Day 1: Chest triceps
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: back/biceps
Day 4: Shoulders/HIIT
Day 5: HIIT/Fullbody work
Day 6: Rest/carb up
Day 7: Rest/carb up.

I know I have my own day for shoulders, I have an impingment so I throw around when I work shoulders and have one day to work them on their lonesome. When I go low carb for more than that my workouts change accordingly.

I don't do HIIT after leg days but I do them before.
What kind of exercises do you do on leg day? Do you do squats and deadlifts on the same day?

Also, what do you do on day 5. Full body work?

I ask, because i like this schedule and may use it. Except, i may add HIIT on Day 7 for a little bit.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
On leg days I do front squats, i'll be doing deads and calf raises. Front squats really isolate my quads for me, deads for the hams and calf raises, well you get it.

For the fullbody workout day pretty much just pick out an exercise i'm feeling up for for each part of the body on that particular day and hammer them out, one for each body part in a circuit style

j bizzle

j bizzle

Awards
I have heard so many things about so many different plans and from all that just kind of derrived my own. i am going on a cruise in two and a half weeks so ive been hittin it real hard with something like this.

every morning i do about an hour to an hour and a half of cardio including 20 minutes hard pedaling on the stationary bike, 30 minutes on the eliptical, and sometimes 10 minutes or so on the rowing machine. i follow this by about 20 or 30 minutes of abs.

i have been wearing one of those sauna suits while doing this and feel like im sweating gallons and gallons.

later that day i have been going back and doing my regular weight lifting routine. chest day one, bi's and tri's on day two, and shoulders and back on day three, then back to chest on day four. i know i know i should be taking a day off but i feel like a day of is a day wasted. am i so wrong for that?

also im sure you are thinking i need to be doing legs but i have real real bad knees and my doctor told me not to. i do still do some light squats and calf raises and stuff.

my diet consists of half a dozen eggs just about everymorning with only one or two yokes in them. then about a pound or two of chicken every day. some turkey occasionally and some steak.

any input is appreciated please get back to me with any FAST cutting techniques so i can look as good as possible for my cruise. thanks a lot people

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think in the end its really personal on what works best for you and there's no "Right" way to go about it. Even more important is just going out and doing it. If you'll do it consistently most things will work.