Do you lift on bare feet?

Do you lift without shoes?

• Total voters
b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
i use converse too..........flat soles..... they seem to work good.
IMHO the only problem with flat soles is that they get hammered when doing heavy calf raises, i've killed many a good pair of chuck taylor's from calf raises.

:thumbsup:

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to do squats, Deads and calves barefoot. now I used geretic chucks (wal-mart) on deads , and squats(might try it on calves sometime)

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
I used to do squats, Deads and calves barefoot. now I used geretic chucks (wal-mart) on deads , and squats(might try it on calves sometime)
the good old $10 pair of generic chucks, classic shoes, i've distroyed many a pair of those from working out.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are cutaneous proprioceptors on the bottom of our feet, they tell us/give us a sense of our surroundings and a sense of the kinematic dependent variables (forces) associated with any closed kinetic chain (planted on the ground) motion that goes through the foot. Take a look at inverse dynamics and you will see that the process involved in completing one of these equations starts with a ground reaction force (in this case coming through the foot) and works it's way up through every joint segment that you are willing to plug the trig data into. Arnold and some of the best powerlifters i know know how to utilize this proprioceptive input in order to maximize performance. I.e. lifting barefoot gives us a better sense of the relationship between our feet and every muscle that works with the foot!!! yes Arnold squatted only 405... but because he could voluntarily recruit muscles due to proprioceptive input he was able to rep 405 for 20 reps!!!

(I lift in chucks too!!!)
Proprioceptors have more to do with balance and stability then acute strength. Lifting barefoot or not is more of a subjective preference then a scientific benefit. I believe proprioceptors are excited by a sense of load, which shoes still provide. The inverse dynamic theory would only apply in the case of velocity, where you have Newton's Third Law working for you in the initial stage of that movement, so unless Arnold intended to jump with those squats, it doesn't really apply, or at least not significantly.

I'm trying to play the one up game, just chatting :cheers:

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
a guy came into my gym wearing these, and they told him he couldn't ...i hate that place. i take my shoes off for cleans, snatches and deadlifts though. otherwise i use otomix stingrays

what was there reason?

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
i wish i could do deadlifts and squats naked. I'll have to invest in a gym in my shed. I'd imagine it would be quite cold though :(

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
logic is something my gyms management lacks. they hired a 100lb brittish guy named oliver, who goes to people claiming he could outrep them, because the only way you should train is with reps higher than 30. i remember my friend getting with an argument, because he was decline benching 225 for reps of 5 and oliver says he should use less weight so he could rep it more, and then claims he could outrep him with that weight, the next day we see him benching with 2.5 lb plates on each side...

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
somebody could drop the weight on their foot and there is no protection or something.
that makes no sense what so ever............like any other tennis shoe would help.............

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
somebody could drop the weight on their foot and there is no protection or something.
if you drop a weight on your foot (unless you're wearing steel cap boots bro) you're fucked

not too many gyms anymore like their clients wearing work boots.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
if you drop a weight on your foot (unless you're wearing steel cap boots bro) you're fucked

not too many gyms anymore like their clients wearing work boots.
well, i have the pleasure of lifting at an la fitness, where basic logic or reasoning like this isnt present.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
well, i have the pleasure of lifting at an la fitness, where basic logic or reasoning like this isnt present.
i hear ya dude, the current gym i belong to is like that too.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
logic is something my gyms management lacks. they hired a 100lb brittish guy named oliver, who goes to people claiming he could outrep them, because the only way you should train is with reps higher than 30. i remember my friend getting with an argument, because he was decline benching 225 for reps of 5 and oliver says he should use less weight so he could rep it more, and then claims he could outrep him with that weight, the next day we see him benching with 2.5 lb plates on each side...
Trainers like that piss me off.

dustinhxc

dustinhxc

Awards
  • Established
i wish i could do deadlifts and squats naked. I'll have to invest in a gym in my shed. I'd imagine it would be quite cold though :(

Hell yeah im working out in just my boxers at this very moment!!
god damn its hot down here! f*ck.:smite:

big trav

Awards
Proprioceptors have more to do with balance and stability then acute strength. Lifting barefoot or not is more of a subjective preference then a scientific benefit. I believe proprioceptors are excited by a sense of load, which shoes still provide. The inverse dynamic theory would only apply in the case of velocity, where you have Newton's Third Law working for you in the initial stage of that movement, so unless Arnold intended to jump with those squats, it doesn't really apply, or at least not significantly.

I'm trying to play the one up game, just chatting :cheers:

Proprioceptors do deal with balance and stability, and also intramuscular coordination and a sense of tension or pressure (golgi tendons for example). cutanious proprioceptors are still active when in shoes, but shoes and even socks can act as "dampening" agents for sensorymotor activity.
Velocity does apply in inverse dynamics but it is only one of the three variables involved (kinetic and anthropometric data are also needed). inverse dynamics can be used to see the force that every muscle is generating and what type of segmental motion those forces are causing (concentric, eccentric or isometric) some of which have zero(isometric) velocity or negative (eccentric) velocity, though i hate to say "negative."
I agree that the voluntary recruitment of muscles due to proprioception IS anecdotal/subjective thus far. But talk to a long time barefoot lifter and they will tell you that being barefoot gives them a "sense" of how their feet react to the ground and allow them to push the weight more efficiently (bodybuilder) or with greater force (powerlifter). this may be due to the Dynamical systems approach to motor control (if you believe in that sort of thing).

If we can get more than one of these responses out a month each than maybe we can come to an agreement...haha... my bad thus far; i don't get on this site all that much.

Edward Nigma

Awards
I hate shoes period, they mess with skeletal development and are uncomfortable to wear (for me).

Thing is, I have a wide ball and narrow heel (Native American in the gene pool somewhere) with slightly shorter-than-average toes; so for my size I have "short" feet. For clarity on that, I'm nearly 6'3" (legs are a little over 3 feet long) and wear a 9E shoe. Surprisingly, I have very good balance.

So, for me, shoe shopping is a not-so-epic sage unto itself. However, I do wear shoes if I absolutely have to.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Got some chuck taylors for christmas! Not the most comfortable shoe but it's amazing for deads and squats.