Do I really need this many doctor appointments?

Famine

Famine

Awards
Until the age of 38, I went to the doctor about once every 3-4 years, and that was just to keep me in their system. In that time, I got, to the best of my knowledge, 1 physical.

I got this new doctor a year ago. I got a physical when I joined, now a year later, he wants to do another physical, ball grabbin' and everything. Says it's an annual thing. Really? I need my balls grabbed every year by this pedophile looking dude? But here's the ironic part...6 months ago I got a hernia, intestines pushing through the stomach, ridiculous pain, the real thing. I called the doctor and asked if I should come in. He said NO because there is nothing he can do for a hernia. In time it will heal. 6 months later he wants to schedule a physical, which seriously, is nothing more than a blood pressure check, listen to my heart, and check for a hernia...that they clearly said they can't help...DO YOU SEE THE IRONY???

And let's talk about irony a bit more...a year ago my blood panel indicated my thyroid sucks, which causes moodiness and a drop in libido. So they gave me a script to boost my T-levels. But in order to get this script, I have to (a) make an appointment $$$, (b) get blood work $$$, (c) make another appointment to discuss the blood work $$$, (d) $50 co-pay on the script $$$, (e) set up a follow up blood work for the following month $$$, (f) set up a follow up appointment to look at the blood work results $$$...then repeat the ENTIRE process the following year...just to get some test booster that is 1/100th of the strength of something I can order online for that will be 100x better at 1/100th of the cost of all the doctor BS. All of this is causing tons of moodiness.

I'm seriously considering just never going to a doctor again, running pro hormones at a fraction of the cost, and just letting life run its course. Am I crazy for thinking that, or am I crazy for paying thousands of dollars a year for the weakest scripts with questionable results?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Didn't pro hormones cause those gut issues though 18 or so months ago? I don't remember the stack you were on but your lifts went up, you PR'd deads and then there were issues that followed for a few months...?

I totally agree that doctors seem to be somewhat worthless. does your insurance offer an online option for dr consults? we recently switched to united health care and have the option of free online or phone visits with doctors and they can RX from that. clearly its not going to get you blood work done.

I think I'd consider a different doctor. maybe a sports specific doctor who's use to working with athletes over 30.

I will say my dad started going to the a LOT more around age 45 though (he's 54 now). I don't mean to compare you to dad, lol. but at some point it does seem like people start going more regularly for blood panels etc.

how clean is your eating right now? are you drinking much beer?

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm 37. Was diagnosed with melenoma last year. Had large portion of my chest cut out in a 5 hour surgery.

I now see Oncology very frequently. I feel your pain. We have great health insurance, and my wife's company pays the premium, but I don't think I'll ever get my portions paid off. Not sure how they expect people to have appointments to go over ever detail.

Famine

Famine

Awards
It's the 3-part appointments that really tick me off. 1 appointment to ask a question, a 2nd appointment to address the issue, and a 3rd appointment to follow up. They say my insurance is "good," but when you have $1000 deductible and $50 co-pay on prescriptions, that's $350 out of my pocket every time I want to see the doctor.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's the 3-part appointments that really tick me off. 1 appointment to ask a question, a 2nd appointment to address the issue, and a 3rd appointment to follow up. They say my insurance is "good," but when you have $1000 deductible and $50 co-pay on prescriptions, that's $350 out of my pocket every time I want to see the doctor.
F- that.....find another dr man.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i agree on a different doctor even though your deductible is actually pretty low. my office copay is $30, but my deductible is way higher than yours.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, thyroid requires iodine to create thyroid hormones. My iodine level was found to be extremely low via bloodwork. Get that iodine checked.

Second, this is not "health" care it's "sickness" care. There are low cost bloodwork options i.e. Privatemdlabs dot com. For $65 you can order up the Female Hormone Panel (used for males as well) and get complete bloodwork including LH, FSH, TT and E2.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, thyroid requires iodine to create thyroid hormones. My iodine level was found to be extremely low via bloodwork. Get that iodine checked.

Second, this is not "health" care it's "sickness" care. There are low cost bloodwork options i.e. Privatemdlabs dot com. For $65 you can order up the Female Hormone Panel (used for males as well) and get complete bloodwork including LH, FSH, TT and E2.
September 15% off code: 1282674