District 9

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Well if you havent seen it,....go see it. Awesome movie,.. the alien weapons are bad@ss, and the shoot em scenes are very well done. Overall, it was worth my $9 ticket.

purebred

movie ticket prices need to go down maaan. if it gets any higher, i'm protesting cause things are ridiculous ATM IMO

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
heard this movie was bad ass. gonna catch it on my day off on monday. getting little tired of all the remakes and sequels. good to see an original idea come out..and ya. tickets are friggin' getting out of hand.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Well, Im going to take your word on it brk, and go check it out, if its not awesome, Im gonna be pissed at you. LOL. j/k, but I am gonna go see it.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
movie ticket prices need to go down maaan. if it gets any higher, i'm protesting cause things are ridiculous ATM IMO
I'm with you. There is NOTHING that I cannot wait to see on DVD or PPV for $5 for the entire family.

Sorry for the hijack.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was LOLing earlier at a "District 9" thread over at bb.com. Completely over the heads of most of those misc morons.:lol:

Chops89

Chops89

Awards
  • Established
I get to see movies for free every Tuesday. Can't wait to see this. If not this Tuesday, then definitely next.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Agreed,.. they are high, and thats the reason I dont go to the movies all that often. Also we got a place around here that sells new and used DVDS for CHEAP. All used dvds are $2.99-$5 and they have everything, and they are guaranteed.

Well, Im going to take your word on it brk, and go check it out, if its not awesome, Im gonna be pissed at you. LOL. j/k, but I am gonna go see it.
You'll like it lol. Its a very original and well done movie. And there are many "oh sh!t" or "holy crap, did you see that?" parts in the movie.

I'm with you. There is NOTHING that I cannot wait to see on DVD or PPV for $5 for the entire family.

Sorry for the hijack.
NP at all. Although I wouldnt let the kiddies see this one..... its got plenty of blood, body explosions and dismemberments, lol.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I was LOLing earlier at a "District 9" thread over at bb.com. Completely over the heads of most of those misc morons.:lol:
haha! I dont ever really go over to bb.com as the 17 yr old flaming each other gets old. I went over there just to see the thread you mentioned, and wow, lol. :laugh2:

texaswolf

texaswolf

Awards
  • Established
With Redbox you can get DVDs for a buck a night now. I think Blockbuster is even doing that now to compete with them.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Sorry for the hijack.
My sentiments exactly; EXCEPT for Transformers. :D

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
took the wife to see district 9 last night. cost us 15$ with the student discount for the cine capri (bigger screen, better seats)

was afraid she wasn't going to like it as she hates sci fi sht.

long story short, we both liked it.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
With Redbox you can get DVDs for a buck a night now. I think Blockbuster is even doing that now to compete with them.
yea, but they are still limited to "newer" movies. And last I checked there are a few lawsuits pending regarding them having to wait 1-3months before putting "new" rentals in their systems..... so take advantage of it while you can, lol.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Great movie, one of the best I have seen this summer.

The budget for this movie was 30 million, whereas Transformers 2 was like over 200 million. Michael Bay, you have some explaining to do...

PegasusActual

PegasusActual

Awards
The movie was pretty good. Funny, I saw it last night as well. The thing is Peter Jackson's view of humanity is just so depressing, because it's true.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought the movie was amazing, particularly when you consider how well the science-fiction was blended into the racial over-tones of the setting. Since the late 1970's to mid 1980's, science fiction films have largely lost their way, in respects to actual cinema. While there was obviously garbage then, as there is now, a large contingency of established cinema directors took on sci-fiction projects: James Cameron with Alien/Aliens, Stanley Kubrick with 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc. They blended humanist elements into the fantastical setting, making the entire film believable; this movie achieved that, and was amazing for it.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
i liked it a lot; thought it was similar to Alien Nation.... between the great effects and story, it should get an academy nod. extremely depressing in a way, how inhuman humanity can be....

PegasusActual

PegasusActual

Awards
Well it was totally drawing parralells to Nazis and other genocidal mentalities: Khmer Rouge, Burmese dictator army, and other black marks on human history. They way he torched the eggs was pretty bad. Reminded me of my gramps pictures of the Japs at Nan King.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well it was totally drawing parralells to Nazis and other genocidal mentalities: Khmer Rouge, Burmese dictator army, and other black marks on human history. They way he torched the eggs was pretty bad. Reminded me of my gramps pictures of the Japs at Nan King.
That and the most obvious allusion to racial segregation in South Africa - being that the ship settled above Johannesburg, South Africa. The strict seclusion of the aliens was supposed to be reminiscent of the apartheid.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
That and the most obvious allusion to racial segregation in South Africa - being that the ship settled above Johannesburg, South Africa. The strict seclusion of the aliens was supposed to be reminiscent of the apartheid.
Bingo, and it's where the director Neil Blomkamp grew up. There's a great interview with him here:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/district-9-director-neill-blomkamp,31606/?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds&utm_source=avclub_rss_daily

Touches on that and some other stuff, like the nature of the fluid and why the aliens were so destitute when they opened the ship.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Amen to that . Very rarely do I go watch anything for 9$ Right now I am torn between District 9 and Inglorious Basterds . I'll prob go with District as Q. Tarentino is very hit and miss with me . Not a fan of Grindhouse .
Or maybe check into matinee times and catch em both .

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good movie. Surprised me when I found out the low budget(for hollywood) that helped create it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bionic General Chat 0
thesinner General Chat 135
Pics 12