Dinosaurs were created 6000 years ago? answers in genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I would like to point out that my earlier remarks including "stupid", "mentally-challenged", etc., were directed at that specific article, not any belief system in general. I found that article useless to a anyone, be him/her a Christian or not.

And when I sh*t on being PC, that doesn't mean blatantly calling people names, that means I'm going to say "explain yourself". And if a person believes something (regardless of what it is) without any logical reason, yes, in my mind they are ignorant. I am ignorant in many areas. But, I don't stand and say x + y = z just because it is. Know what I mean?

Amway... back to the topic.

What kind of scientific dating system can be used to go back millions of years? I've heard of some that can go past the existence of the universe, but don't recall what they were.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
If God was real, what created him? If he was created, is he still the all-knowing, most infinitely powerful being? If he wasn't created, then how can he exist? ...Ever since I was a child, that was one thing I always asked myself. I asked several priests and religous people, and none gave a decent answer.

I was born and raised a Christian my whole life, and swore nothing would change my faith. I even considered being a preist for aw while. I would never admit it, but I was more afraid of damnation, which in turn kept my faith and kept me from questioning it all.

I've read a lot of religious books, as well studying old texts reguarding religion and spiritually. Even took some courses on religions of the world. But living my life has shown me the truth more then anything; the only good and evil has nothing to do with a God. More or less, it's what we do to eachother that is either good or evil. This applies to everyone, religious and not.

I feel that religion spreads hate in the end, even if the followers are good people. There is zero room for free thought, it's a dictatorship in it's finest. Each religion and sect swears they are "the chosen ones." I don't mean to offend anyone by saying all this, but this is reality.

-Steve
Well said Steve.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Science always provided us with the ability to kill en mass(e) with religion as the motivator though :)

Edit: had to add an E to masse :)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I feel that religion spreads hate in the end, even if the followers are good people. There is zero room for free thought, it's a dictatorship in it's finest. Each religion and sect swears they are "the chosen ones." I don't mean to offend anyone by saying all this, but this is reality.
-Steve
I respect your response in this thread and agree with you about a lot of what you said. However. it has come to my understanding that although I feel organized religion is corrupted on so many levels it's the choice of the individual to discern and shape their beliefs. I don't agree with how religion itself spreads hate, but imo it's the lack of the followers of their specific belief to allow themselves to be, for lack of a better word, brainwashed and close minded enough to not notice when things have lost their intended purpose. Religion is not the only form of community, or populace, to fall into this trap. It is apparant in all aspects and levels of society. Unfortunately instead of leadership being a quality in everyone, it is only found in a small percentage of the population. IMO ppl are more likely to follow, because it is easier, than to take their own position about things and following through with it.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Science always provided us with the ability to kill en mass with religion as the motivator though :)
Nice :)
Indeed. One has motive and the other is the facilitator. The last time I checked that is conspiracy to commit murder. The blood, guilt and injustice of these atrocities lie in the hands of both. They are both culpable.

smc252

Awards
  • Established
This is the exact thing B was talking about. I don't care if your believe in God, science or dance around ****ing trees. Treat each other with respect or these threads can just stay dead.
I honestly wasn't trying to sound disrespectful or condescending towards anyone. I speak only of my own past and experiences. I apologize if I hurt anyones feelings. This is simply my take on the whole ordeal, and if someone disagrees, then that is okay with me!

I wasn't refering just to religion, I am talking blind faith in general, all the way down to something such as George Bush's "intel" on WMD. We should all question everything, I suppose, was my point.

I respect everyone on here, and the intelligent discussion that we can ALL learn from. Individually, we don't have all the answers. But if someone can make me think about something I haven't thought about yet, or I can spark a thought in someone else, that is the goal to this and any other discussion like it.

:thumbsup:

It's great to be able to speak our minds without being persecuted. We have that right still, so far at least. So we should use it in a civil way!

-Steve

smc252

Awards
  • Established
I respect your response in this thread and agree with you about a lot of what you said. However. it has come to my understanding that although I feel organized religion is corrupted on so many levels it's the choice of the individual to discern and shape their beliefs. I don't agree with how religion itself spreads hate, but imo it's the lack of the followers of their specific belief to allow themselves to be, for lack of a better word, brainwashed and close minded enough to not notice when things have lost their intended purpose. Religion is not the only form of community, or populace, to fall into this trap. It is apparant in all aspects and levels of society. Unfortunately instead of leadership being a quality in everyone, it is only found in a small percentage of the population. IMO ppl are more likely to follow, because it is easier, than to take their own position about things and following through with it.
You made some really intelligent points!

Indeed most people are like sheep, and tend to follow the masses. I've been labeled everything in the books for following my own path and beliefs. I don't try to fit in with any group of thought, but at the same time, I use all my experiences in life to relate with everyone else. I think the purpose of life is to learn and evolve from all of our experiences.

I am my own person, and to the best of my knowledge, this is what I think reality is....I guess I am not afraid to think outside the box, or be verbally persecuted because of it.

I agree it is up to the individual. I think we are all brainwashed to an extent. Some are just worse then others. From a psychological standpoint, it's almost like the whole mob mentallity, where you have a group of people doing something. Because everyone else in the group thinks that the "something" is okay to do, it's accepted as the norm. I find it VERY interesting. Society as a whole even has this mentality.

I just wish people would stop seeing eachother as this or that, and as actual human beings; no worse or greater then themselves. Only then can we have true freedom and happiness and greatest of all, REAL peace.

My whole beef with religion is that it divides us. We need something to do the opposite and bring every single man, woman and child together! You can't force everyone into any religion.

There are truths in everything, although everything is NOT the truth! I hate to go somewhat off topic, but I think it is relevent to what I am saying...

The Chirstian Bible speaks of a NWO; The whole one-world government that will be used to control us. Some people see it as reality, other's don't.

Obviously this is a ****ty ordeal, and there are indeed people such as The Project For A New American Century, trying to make this a reality. A 3rd world war could indeed ignite their fire.

Even if you think it's BS, let's assume it is real for a minute...

At first it will tear us further apart. But I do see it eventually FORCING all the people to come together and fight back in one way or another, as one. How can we know good if we can't identify that which truely is evil?

This may be what we, as an entire planet, need to bring us all to good terms with eachother. We're all too ignorant and set in our own ways to change on our own.

I try to live by Einstein's words, that Every action has an equivalent, but opposing reaction. Cause and effect!

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
SMC...you made a point about saying what you believe even if you get verbally prosecuted for it. That is an issue too.

We live in a very small town in the Midwest and own a small business here. We are afraid to say we don't believe in god for fear of that exact thing, being prosecuted for it. Not by somebody burning down our business or throwing rocks, but people no longer using our business. That would be the end of us. And we are 100% sure it would happen and remain very closed mouth about our views.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unfortunately Crunch, people will always flock to their own. This would probably happen in a reverse environment. The issues here are not inherently with religion but with people and using it for whatever perverted reason. We have good people scattered throughout all the belief systems as well as the bad. It just changes who the vocal majority are from time to time.

smc252

Awards
  • Established
SMC...you made a point about saying what you believe even if you get verbally prosecuted for it. That is an issue too.

We live in a very small town in the Midwest and own a small business here. We are afraid to say we don't believe in god for fear of that exact thing, being prosecuted for it. Not by somebody burning down our business or throwing rocks, but people no longer using our business. That would be the end of us. And we are 100% sure it would happen and remain very closed mouth about our views.
It's just sad because it HAS to be that way or else you are risking everything. I think most, if not all people have to be like that in one shape or form though. :(

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately Crunch, people will always flock to their own. This would probably happen in a reverse environment. The issues here are not inherently with religion but with people and using it for whatever perverted reason. We have good people scattered throughout all the belief systems as well as the bad. It just changes who the vocal majority are from time to time.
I totally believe that there a good people everywhere. The problem for us (and others I'm sure), is that if a vocal handfull of people stop using our business due to our beliefs, others that may not care that much will also stop coming for fear of being put down by the nasty ones.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well it really comes down to what you are willing to sacrifice for your convictions. If you are so inclined and passionate to claim that there is no God then do so and suffer those consequences. Many Christians in third world countries are being murdered for that very reason every day. For you to be silent for fear of persecution is the same as a Christian being being silent for fear of persecution. Choosing to be silent is your choice. Ask Stephen what he would do :)

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Ummm...I wouldn't use the word "passionate" to say I don't believe in god. It just is what it is, there's not really anything to be passionate about.

My business is my life, and I don't want to lose it over something like that. It's the "passionate" ones that would stop using my business if they knew we didn't believe what they do.

You also mention christians being murdered every day. That just goes back to religion (which is supposed to be about peace) being at the heart of millions of deaths over the years. Those are the passionate ones. Nice too.

B5150...did that post of mine upset you?

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
lol i dont even know where this convo is going.

lets just simplify this once and for all. a yay or a nay, sort of speak.

do you believe the earth is 6000 years old, as is estimated when taking the bible literally?

yes or no. no explanation etc etc etc.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
B5150...did that post of mine upset you?
No. Not at all. My point was speak up or be silent. Its a choice and the consequences are yours to bear. I mean I speak up here and I get mocked. I do it at work and it costs me. It hasn't changed my beliefs. It costs me. Though of course not the same as what you refer too. I could be silent but that would make 'me' a hypocrite and not much of a witness for my 'faith'.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes or no. no explanation etc etc etc.
It's inconsequential. If Jesus thought it important would he have not said so when He was here (regardless of your belief in His deity). He was passionate about loving your neighbor as yourself and loving God with all you heart, mind and strength. His message (again not questioning His deity) was the Spirit of the Word and not the letter of the Word. The world is full of Christians, the likes that your refer to who present these 'theories' who are caught up in the letter and miss the spirit. Jesus did tell them to pull the planks out of their own eyes before worrying about the splinter in a brother's.

smc252

Awards
  • Established
The issues here are not inherently with religion but with people and using it for whatever perverted reason. We have good people scattered throughout all the belief systems as well as the bad. It just changes who the vocal majority are from time to time.
We really do have good people in all belief systems, I totally agree. But at the same time the majority's leaders have always been the same type of people, oppressors.

Look at what Hitler did, look how many people followed him and truely believed his bull****! He led those terrible camps, starving people to death, gasing people in his "showers." He had most of Germany following him! People to this day, still worship Hitler!

What about Stalin or Saddam? Even going back to Nero...etc

Some people already include Bush, as he stands in front of a 20ft Jesus, claiming God had put him on his mission as our leader! Yet he hasn't made a single Christian-like move to better anyone but his close friends! Does he even look at the text he refers to so often?!

All of these men have one thing in common, they are men of power, dead-set as well as extreme in their ways. No matter their beliefs, they are psychotic in the end. They end up getting majorities of people following them and eventually killed! We should learn from history that people like this will never bring us any good.

smc252

Awards
  • Established
We did get side-tracked. My bad :)

I do not belive earth to be 6000years old. I am sure everyone can gather that much hah :)

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
No. Not at all. My point was speak up or be silent. Its a choice and the consequences are yours to bear. I mean I speak up here and I get mocked. I do it at work and it costs me. It hasn't changed my beliefs. It costs me. Though of course not the same as what you refer too. I could be silent but that would make 'me' a hypocrite and not much of a witness for my 'faith'.
Ahh..ok then.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some people already include Bush, as he stands in front of a 20ft Jesus, claiming God had put him on his mission as our leader! Yet he hasn't made a single Christian-like move to better anyone but his close friends! Does he even look at the text he refers to so often?!
Look at what Jesus did to see what Jesus would do. What other men claim to do in Jesus' name is not necessarily what Jesus did or does or supports.

Again, I am not pushing His deity down peoples throats. But many many people come in the name of Jesus and they are giving Jesus a bad rap.

If it is WWJD then look to see if it is the same fruit that Jesus would have planted. Jesus came in peace. Jesus never said He would/was bringing a physical revolution. The revolution was supposed to be in the heart. That is where MAN distorted it and has been ever since. Whether He was or was not the Son of God or son of A god or a lunatic. He did live, He did die, and His message is not the message that the religious have perverted. Religion is far from following Jesus. Very far. He told them so when He was here and they killed Him.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:blink: b fid chill, im just trying to gather whether people believe the world is 6000 years old or not. thats it.

and it is perfectly consequential. how can you say you believe in the bible and everything jesus says...if you dont believe in the bible. the bible says the world is 6000 years old, when read literally. you cant really pick and choose what to believe.

is the earth 6000 years old. yes or no

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
:blink: b fid chill, im just trying to gather whether people believe the world is 6000 years old or not. thats it.
Why do you feel you need to tell me to chill? What did I say that suggests that I need to chill. I politely and respectfully expressed my thoughts and views on the question. Please don't tell me to chill. PLEASE
and it is perfectly consequential. how can you say you believe in the bible and everything jesus says...if you dont believe in the bible. the bible says the world is 6000 years old, when read literally. you cant really pick and choose what to believe.
Read your bible and then tell me what Jesus says. Jesus is a New Covenant. The New Covenant means that the Old Covenant is obsolete. The Old Testament is the Old Covenant. Jesus Is the New Testament not the Old Testament. So regarding what JESUS says; He said nothing about the age of the earth.

Now YOU tell me where the Bible says that the earth is 6000 yrs old. Don't tell me that so and so says it is. You tell me where it says: "The Earth is 6000 yrs old". You find it and you bring it.

The Christian faith is based on the word of Jesus. He is the Christ, hence the word CHRISTian.
is the earth 6000 years old. yes or no
I have no evidence to support it either way. So it could be that it is. It could be that it is not. So my answer would then be No I do not believe it is. Nor do I believe it is some billion years old. I just don't know. At the end of the day if I miss the message of the Spirit of the Word then it really is inconsequential to me. Any Christian who is hung up on this is missing it too.

These people don't speak for me or my faith. Just as all scientists don't speak for you and your faith in science. Some scientists are qwacks and some Christians are qwacks. They BOTH are capable and have a history of extracting what they want from both of their data to meet an agenda.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't believe it is 6000 years old but if the right evidence came about to tell me otherwise I may have a different answer for you. The Bible can not be taking literally in my opinion because of the way it came into play but like B5150 said, I think the Spirit of the Word can be received.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Adding fuel to the flames:

If god is infallible, why the need for a NEW covenant?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
MY answer: Man is very fallible, corrupt and cruel and it was needed because of our constant ability to screw up everything we touch. I think this was God's way of redircting our misdirection.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

smc252

Awards
  • Established
My last side-track, for real this time!

Look at what Jesus did to see what Jesus would do. What other men claim to do in Jesus' name is not necessarily what Jesus did or does or supports.
I agree. I never meant to say "Jesus" was bad, or anything he did on earth wasn't great. If you PM me I'd be glad to find a link showing you some of his original teachings. They are a bit different then Christianity as we were taught though. There are some english translations even.

Look at what the "Conservitive Christians" are doing to the children in the name of poor Christ: YouTube - Jesus Camp: Indoctrination

Seems a lot like the brainwashing that a lot of muslim extremists go through, minus the virgins in heaven! :)

Back to the topic though, start a seperate thread if you wana continue our discussion...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Ive got two things Id like to add to this thread:

And

bv

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Why do you feel you need to tell me to chill? What did I say that suggests that I need to chill. I politely and respectfully expressed my thoughts and views on the question. Please don't tell me to chill. PLEASERead your bible and then tell me what Jesus says. Jesus is a New Covenant. The New Covenant means that the Old Covenant is obsolete. The Old Testament is the Old Covenant. Jesus Is the New Testament not the Old Testament. So regarding what JESUS says; He said nothing about the age of the earth.

Now YOU tell me where the Bible says that the earth is 6000 yrs old. Don't tell me that so and so says it is. You tell me where it says: "The Earth is 6000 yrs old". You find it and you bring it.

The Christian faith is based on the word of Jesus. He is the Christ, hence the word CHRISTian.I have no evidence to support it either way. So it could be that it is. It could be that it is not. So my answer would then be No I do not believe it is. Nor do I believe it is some billion years old. I just don't know. At the end of the day if I miss the message of the Spirit of the Word then it really is inconsequential to me. Any Christian who is hung up on this is missing it too.

These people don't speak for me or my faith. Just as all scientists don't speak for you and your faith in science. Some scientists are qwacks and some Christians are qwacks. They BOTH are capable and have a history of extracting what they want from both of their data to meet an agenda.
i was asking you to chill because the last thing i want is for a heated argument over something i posted half jokingly and for me to end up with 50 more bling bling warning signs in my CP. the topic of the thread is "dinosaurs were created 6000 years ago", idk how anyone can take this seriously.

i went to catholic school from pre school to senior year of undergrad college, ive read the bible inside and out, different versions, interrpretations etc. ive read sega genesis, and jobalicious and the judge joe brown sections and everything else it has to offer.

i think the article states it best...."God made everything in six days. He did this, by the way, to set a pattern for mankind, which has become our seven day week (as described in Exodus 20:11). God worked for six days and rested for one, as a model for us. Furthermore, Bible scholars will tell you that the Hebrew word for day used in Genesis 1, can only mean an ordinary day in this context.

We are told God created the first man and woman—Adam and Eve—on Day Six. Many facts about when their children and their children’s children were born are given in Genesis. These genealogies are recorded throughout the Old Testament, up until the time of Christ. They certainly were not chronologies lasting millions of years."

if the cronologies leading up to jesus was only 4000 years or so, starting with adam, and the year is now 2007, how can the earth be more than 6000 years old?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
haha nice neverending story pic jay. what was that dudes name? skar?
LOL - nice, yeah it was Gmork but I wasnt thinking Never Ending Story...that's a good ol' Wooly Rhino and a Dire Wolf from the pleistocene Epoch. What was that, like 700-800 years ago? :D

BV

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i just dont see how a person can choose faith over science, especially when they are conflicting. science provides proof. faith does not.
The definition of faith answers the above conundrum.

faith
–noun
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact...
That being said, I understand where both sides are coming from. I grew up without a hard push either way and have been able to explore both faith and science...it's hard to over-look science. I still have my beliefs, but I'll be the first one to ask questions or flat out disagree IE the earth is 6000 yrs old. Just had that argument with my mother this past week.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
i think the article states it best...."God made everything in six days. He did this, by the way, to set a pattern for mankind, which has become our seven day week (as described in Exodus 20:11). God worked for six days and rested for one, as a model for us. Furthermore, Bible scholars will tell you that the Hebrew word for day used in Genesis 1, can only mean an ordinary day in this context.

Well , when "somebody" creates a 7 day work week, you have to wonder who benefits from that creation. It seems like the big boss/owners benefit the most and the workers the least!

We are told God created the first man and woman—Adam and Eve—on Day Six. Many facts about when their children and their children’s children were born are given in Genesis. These genealogies are recorded throughout the Old Testament, up until the time of Christ. They certainly were not chronologies lasting millions of years."

if the cronologies leading up to jesus was only 4000 years or so, starting with adam, and the year is now 2007, how can the earth be more than 6000 years old?

It could all be a simple lie.

Genesis involves a story where god tells Adam and Eve not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge or they will die, but a serpent tells them that god is a liar. So, they do eat from the Tree of Knowledge and they do not die! The serpent was right, god was lying! They noticed that they were naked and the party started.

God who supposedly is "all knowing" took awhile to figure out that they had eaten the "forbidden fruit", but when he did he was so vindictive that he booted them out of the Garden of Eden.

Now Adam and Eve were the first homeless people. They did the only thing worth doing, they f*cked and the human race began.

Genesis tells a story of how a lying, vindictive god treats the ones he loves the most.
No wonder the world is so screwed up look how it all started!!!

I am always suspicious of liars and those who support liars!

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Faith and science both accomplish the same psychological goal of giving us comfort wrt existence, just by different means.

Maybe I choose science because it's something I can see, hear, feel, etc.

I can't help but feel that the proof is in the pudding.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hell yeah - I still cant stop watching it whenever its on...
I said "Never Ending Story", not "Naughty Backdoor Cheerleader Midgets 8".

Status
Not open for further replies.