Diet/Macros help.

Honey

Honey

Awards
I'm 29yo, 155 pounds and I'm trying to aim for about 2500 calories a day (ideally a bit more than that). My body fat is quite poor at about 25-30% so I'm trying to rework my macros.

The macros I'm working within are:

70gm Fat
155gm Protein
312gm Carbs.

Firstly, does this seem realistic?

Secondly, I'm having a lot of trouble finding foods that will fit under that criteria.

So far I've got: Soybeans, yoghurt, 2x toast, protein supplement, chicken breast, eggs, tuna. But that's nowhere near 2500 cals.

Could someone help with some advice?

Thanks!

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
What are your current goals as you state your body fat is 'quite poor' which possibly suggests you may want to lose weight and you are aiming for 2500 kcals at 155lbs which would suggest maintenance calories (dependant on activity) or possibly a small increase in body weight.

Honey

Honey

Awards
What are your current goals as you state your body fat is 'quite poor' which possibly suggests you may want to lose weight and you are aiming for 2500 kcals at 155lbs which would suggest maintenance calories (dependant on activity) or possibly a small increase in body weight.
I'm trying to work out more often but so far the results from the gym have been promising. I've bulked a lot in the past year and most of it has been good weight.

My goal is to gain some more muscle weight with as minimal fat gains as possible. I'd like to go up to 165 pounds.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is what helped me during bulking

Morning 6:30AM- gainer shake (oats, 1 scoop Whey, peanut butter, banana and 500ml milk) or 6 eggs (2whole and 4 whites), brown bread- 2, 500 ml milk.
9:30AM- protein pancakes and some almonds
1:00PM- chicken breast 200gms, rice, yogurt, home made fries
4:00PM Pre-workout- peanut butter sandwich or banana.
5:30- Whey with Maltodextrin and creatine
6:00PM Post- rice, chicken breast, and yogurt with some salad
9:00PM Dinner- Rice, chicken breast or tuna, homemade curry and yogurt
Before sleep 11:00PM- 500ml milk.

I was able to digest all this coz my metabolism was alright. It could be different for you. There is no one cut meal plan for bulking. Experiment and experience will get you to what's ideal for your body type.

Honey

Honey

Awards
Anymore help with this? Still hunting for good food choices within those macros

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Anymore help with this? Still hunting for good food choices within those macros
How many meals a day are you intending to eat?

What time of day do you train?

Are you intending to consume a protein shake after training?

Honey

Honey

Awards
How many meals a day are you intending to eat?

What time of day do you train?

Are you intending to consume a protein shake after training?
Usually around 5 meals a day. Doesn't really matter to me what the meal frequency is.

I train in the evening. Around 8/9pm.

Yes I always have my protein shake right after my workout.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Ok will look during my lunch time (3 hours or so), do you eat Oatmeal?

Assume you are not Intermittent Fasting?

Honey

Honey

Awards
Ok will look during my lunch time (3 hours or so), do you eat Oatmeal?

Assume you are not Intermittent Fasting?
Appreciated! Yes I will eat oatmeal if I have to haha I have a pretty good tolerance for foods I dislike.

No I am not.

Thanks again.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Usually around 5 meals a day. Doesn't really matter to me what the meal frequency is.

I train in the evening. Around 8/9pm.

Yes I always have my protein shake right after my workout.
Meal 1 - 4 scrambled / poached eggs on 2 x toast with 10g butter - 473kcals (23g carbs, 30g protein, 29g fat)

Meal 2 - 350g Jacket Potato, 10g Butter, 150g Tuna, 100g Avocado plus mixed salad - 634kcals (74g carbs, 44g protein, 18g fat)

Meal 3 - 300g 10% Greek Yoghurt plus 100g banana - 466kcals (34g carbs, 15g protein, 30g fat)

Meal 4 - 200g skinless chicken plus 90g rice - 295kcal (21g carbs, 37g protein, 7g fat)

Pre Workout - 75g Oatmeal - 312kcals (51g carbs, 9g protein, 8g fat)

Post Workout - 30g whey isolate protein powder, 30g dextrose powder - 240kcals (30g carbs, 30g protein, 0g carbs

Total (approx)

2420kcals

234g carbs
158g protein
94g fats

Add in some vegetables with meal 4 and maybe another small carbohydrate snack and you are now in excess of 2500kcals, if fats are too high then replace the greek yoghurt with fat free greek yoghurt (500g) this will reduce kcals by ~80kcals (increase carbs by ~10g, protein by ~38g but reduce fats by 30g)

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally don't buy in to macros that much. I like to stay away from fast sugar and too much fat that's all.. I suggest buying a rice cooker, make 10scoops of water and 6 scoops of rice (in deciliter not cups). Eat half of that each day and you should have about 240gr of rice for today and tomorrow, 100gr = about 360 calories of rice. Put in some chicken there and maybe some vegetables and you're above 1000 calories. Have some protein shakes 2-3 max, maybe some oatmeal which should have around the same amount of calories (milk not included) .. get some healthy fats and maybe some eggs. Kinda basic but easy if you just need that first push. When you get used to how much calories everything has it become a easier to experience with other types of food.

Honey

Honey

Awards
Meal 1 - 4 scrambled / poached eggs on 2 x toast with 10g butter - 473kcals (23g carbs, 30g protein, 29g fat)

Meal 2 - 350g Jacket Potato, 10g Butter, 150g Tuna, 100g Avocado plus mixed salad - 634kcals (74g carbs, 44g protein, 18g fat)

Meal 3 - 300g 10% Greek Yoghurt plus 100g banana - 466kcals (34g carbs, 15g protein, 30g fat)

Meal 4 - 200g skinless chicken plus 90g rice - 295kcal (21g carbs, 37g protein, 7g fat)

Pre Workout - 75g Oatmeal - 312kcals (51g carbs, 9g protein, 8g fat)

Post Workout - 30g whey isolate protein powder, 30g dextrose powder - 240kcals (30g carbs, 30g protein, 0g carbs

Total (approx)

2420kcals

234g carbs
158g protein
94g fats

Add in some vegetables with meal 4 and maybe another small carbohydrate snack and you are now in excess of 2500kcals, if fats are too high then replace the greek yoghurt with fat free greek yoghurt (500g) this will reduce kcals by ~80kcals (increase carbs by ~10g, protein by ~38g but reduce fats by 30g)
Thanks for this. Just a question: I am trying to keep my fat gains at a bare minimum obviously, so shouldn't I be minimizing my carbs? Because I want to reduce my belly as much as possible before I start cutting.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for this. Just a question: I am trying to keep my fat gains at a bare minimum obviously, so shouldn't I be minimizing my carbs? Because I want to reduce my belly as much as possible before I start cutting.
That will depend on how you body processes carbs / how carbs affects appetite

For instance I feel bloated and very lethargic etc when consuming higher levels of carbs (over 300g) and also I tend not to feel satiated after a high carb meal and then I start to look for high sugary foods (not unknown for me to binge on these types of food, 6000 kcals in last binge 10 days ago) so I tend to keep fats and protein higher to negate this scenario!!

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I think 2500 is a bit high, I wouldn't go above 2000. The carbs aren't really the problem but the calories. I suggest eating higher amounts of protein. A rice cooker could be nice eating 100gr of rice two times a day with a chicken breast each meal and some boiled veggies. The rice is about 360 calories and with chicken and vegetables for two meals you're gonna keep yourself kinda full and end up eating about 1000 calories depending on the size of the chicken. After this you can kinda easily fill in the other 1000 calories with low fat ,slow carb meals and some protein like shakes.

Quite easy but when you kinda get an idea it gets easier to make your own recipes. And it doesn't matter if you go below 2000 as long as you feel you're not hungry.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I think 2500 is a bit high, I wouldn't go above 2000. The carbs aren't really the problem but the calories. I suggest eating higher amounts of protein. A rice cooker could be nice eating 100gr of rice two times a day with a chicken breast each meal and some boiled veggies. The rice is about 360 calories and with chicken and vegetables for two meals you're gonna keep yourself kinda full and end up eating about 1000 calories depending on the size of the chicken. After this you can kinda easily fill in the other 1000 calories with low fat ,slow carb meals and some protein like shakes.

Quite easy but when you kinda get an idea it gets easier to make your own recipes. And it doesn't matter if you go below 2000 as long as you feel you're not hungry.
I think the OP is trying to add 10lbs with minimal fat gain prior to cutting so 2000 kcals is not going to be enough to gain weight

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think the OP is trying to add 10lbs with minimal fat gain prior to cutting so 2000 kcals is not going to be enough to gain weight
Ohh. . I though it was a girl since I saw one yesterday and he had it on profile pic. The girl wanted to loose weight. Yeah 2500 is actually a good diet, I used to eat around that back in the days when I was 155 lbs and I gained weight pretty fine.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Ohh. . I though it was a girl since I saw one yesterday and he had it on profile pic. The girl wanted to loose weight. Yeah 2500 is actually a good diet, I used to eat around that back in the days when I was 155 lbs and I gained weight pretty fine.
Profile pic is a girl but profile states male!!

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Profile pic is a girl but profile states male!!
Yes but I haven't been here for a while. I replied to a woman dieting yesterday and I read the last comment fast and automatically thought it was her.. my bad

Honey

Honey

Awards
So am I still ok to have that many carbs? Don't they cause massive bloating and just belly fat?

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So am I still ok to have that many carbs? Don't they cause massive bloating and just belly fat?
No, eat slow carbs like potato not pure sugar.. You need to eat a lot of carbs for you to blow up