Diet for LBM/Recomp + Strength

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Basically wondering if there's any sort of dope ass diet that's out there that's better than just basics. I'm generally not that much of a calorie counter but has anyone ever found that they've gotten anything amazing out of something like say - the anabolic diet or the ultimate diet 2.0 or any crap like that. Like something that allows body recomp (build muscle/burn fat+strength gains). Or is that just a myth that only steroids can achieve.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
UD2.0 is decent,
But more often than not I only stick to my macros and calories, with intelligent consideration of micronutrients and such.

It's hard to try to eat to get lean but also have strength as a goal, peri-workout carbs will be smart.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
UD2.0 is decent,
But more often than not I only stick to my macros and calories, with intelligent consideration of micronutrients and such.

It's hard to try to eat to get lean but also have strength as a goal, peri-workout carbs will be smart.
Yah I found as my bodyfat approaches 15% bodyfat it became incredibly difficult to increase strength while cutting.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't usually lose much strength when cutting, unless I go to super low levels.

1) Total calories are the most important. Finding your optimal deficit is best. The smallest deficit that still allows you to continually drop weight is the best (slow and steady). I also tend to look at this over the course of the week rather than each single day, hardest training days of the week may still be in a slight surplus, but overall weekly intake will be in a deficit.

2) Macros are next. When performance is involved I'd prefer to keep the carbohydrates as high as possible while still allowing for desired amount of fat loss (so with protein typically being untouched this means dropping predominantly fats to drop calories on training days). Training days higher carbohydrates and lower fats, non-training days lower carbohydrates and more fats (if total calories allow).

3) Timing follows these. Again with performance and lbm retention as the top goals keeping carbohydrates around workouts (and usually during workouts as well) seems to work best. This is the last place I would remove carbohydrates from as things progress.

Exact amounts will depend on current condition, training, and metabolism. There is still plenty of room to tweak these for each persons needs and for the approach that seems to keep them consistent, but these are always in my mind when planning to keep performance up and drop some fat. :)

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Yah that's essentially what I did. Basically low carb on off days and lots of carbs around my workout on workout days. My main thing is I'm actually trying to get stronger while cutting. And that's proven a challenge in the past month lol. I mean I'm still pulling it off - but on the flip side. I'm not really cutting much fat lately either. Too many cheats.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
And by that I mean an event comes up where I'll pack on like 3-5lbs overnight from stuff like wedding parties, thanks giving, birthdays etc. I've been floating around 161-163 for about 3 weeks now with random spikes up to 167ish

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Keeping protein high can also help with this while in a deficit. Brad Schoenfeld actually posted something today about this. Just know that the leaner you get and the more highly trained of an individual you are, it is VERY difficult to gain strength while in a deficit. If you're a newbie to lifting or very overweight, it's far easier. So if you're lean and have been training for years, you're not gonna have an easy time recomping.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great post bolt10

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established