Diagnosed with DVT

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So, last week, I had knee surgery. I went in yesterday for my first post-op visit.
She took off my knee brace & noticed all the bruising on my lower leg. It's also very tender to the touch..
She recommended that I get a scan to ensure there's no blood clot.

So, I go down the street to a different hospital and get both legs scanned. She started on my good leg from the femoral artery and worked down to my ankle. Right leg was clear.
She did the same on my left leg (surgically fixed), and found a clot down in my calf...

Evidently, this is fairly common after surgery. Nobody seemed too concerned due to it being so far down in my body.

They put me on Xarelto (blood thinner) for 3 months and scheduled a follow up.

Before surgery I've been taking 100mg, providing 2,000 FUs of Nattokinase. Some days I'd take twice, but usually once a day, but I've been sure to take it at least once per day, every day.

I take it for blood pressure, but I've also read that it helps prevent blood clotting...

So, my question is if im taking xarelto, do y'all think I could also use the Nattokinase? I asked the Dr, and she obviously hadn't ever heard of it...

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So, last week, I had knee surgery. I went in yesterday for my first post-op visit.
She took off my knee brace & noticed all the bruising on my lower leg. It's also very tender to the touch..

So, I go down the street to a different hospital and get both legs scanned. She started on my good leg from the femoral artery and worked down to my ankle. Right leg was clear.
She did the same on my left leg (surgically fixed), and found a clot down in my calf...

Evidently, this is fairly common after surgery. Nobody seemed too concerned due to it being so far down in my body.

Before surgery I've been taking 100mg, providing 2,000 FUs of Nattokinase. Some days I'd take twice, but usually once a day, but I've been sure to take it at least once per day, every day.

I take it for blood pressure, but I've also read that it helps prevent blood clotting...

So, my question is if im taking xarelto, do y'all think I could also use the Nattokinase? I asked the Dr, and she obviously hadn't ever heard of it...
Ugh .. so she gave you no answer on it?

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No. She wasn't familiar with otc stuff.. Go figure.
Well, I could understand that part.
But, it looks like she'd want to try and look into it, so that she could give you a recommendation, one way or another. .... Rather than just let her patient decide for himself what to do.

If they shouldn't be taken together... That could have Very serious repercussions, with a blood thinner involved.

:-(

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
"Interactions. If you take any medications regularly, talk to your doctor before you start using nattokinase supplements. The supplements could interact with blood thinners and other drugs that reduce clotting, like aspirin and ibuprofen. They could cause excess bleeding and bruising."

Given the possibly serious interactions between the two ... If it were me, I'd want a Medical opinion on combining the two, before I attempted it (personally).

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

often times pharmacists are much better informed about natural supplements like nattokinase and their interaction with prescription meds than doctors---if you have a regular pharmacy [pharmacist] that you use you might try asking them...both walgreens and cvs have helped me with questions i've had on this subject before--they have even took the time to do research when they weren't familiar with a supplement....it's worth a try.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just saw this and I'm prolly too late to be helpful but...

A medication is generally going to be better (more effective) than a supplement. Personally I take nattokinase as I see it as a preventative...but I don't think I'd class it as a drug. And I use nattokinase because I'd prefer not to take a drug as a preventative.

If I were in your situation, I'd consider the Rx as the preferred treatment given the conditions. I'd discontinue the nattokinase whilst on the Rx (if the drug doesn't provide the cure I'd be doubtful the supplement would).

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@Nac thanks for stopping by and offering the advice.. Yes, I have stopped the Natto for now. Taking the blister pack of Xarelto, and then picking up a bottle of it at my pharmacy.
Initially, it was going to be $110 WITH my insurance!! The pharmacy called me to inform me & then gave me some number to call to see if I qualified for a discount. That call saved me $100!!