Developing a Freak

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
10/2/16- Day 7 Upper Power Pull Focus

Lever edge horiz Rowing Machine: 6x2pps *6x2pps+25ps, 6x3pps, 4x3pps+25ps

Neutral MAG grip pull down: 6x100, 6x120, 6x140, 6x170, 6x190, 2x210

Incline Barbbell press (get a spot for these on the top sets): 6x225, 3x245, 5x245

Rack Deadlift: 6x405, 6x455, 6x495, 3x545

Prime Plate loaded SP: 6x2pps+25ps, 6x3pps, 6

Cable EZ bar curl: 6x52.5, 6x62.5, 6x72.5, 6x82.5, 3x92.5

V bar press down: 6x82.5, 6x97.5, 3x107.5

** daily cell swell **

Excellent session this morning. Got up on the bright and got it in before church and before watching my Seahawks beat up on the Jetts! Great day of some NFL football.

Enjoyed a heck of a rest day yesterday too - spent time with my bride and enjoyed some college ball and a little bit of gaming action!

Today's session was good but I am debating swapping DB incline presses for potentiating sets of 6 instead of barbell. Because that is the only chest movement I do on this day I want to be sure the contractions are 100% and I think I do a better job getting contractions and tension through the pecs with dumbbells opposed to barbell but we will see.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Something I like to include in my training for my online clients in their training programs are certain types of exercise groupings and protocols that will elicit the "EPOC" effect.

For those that do not know what EPOC is it stands for "excessive post exercise oxygen consumption". In short, when we exercise, specifically intensely exercise, we create an oxygen debt in our bodies that our bodies have to "pay back" after the session is over. We vastly deplete our oxygen and then have re-fill it. It is a demanding metabolic process and it causes the continuation of energy expenditure to varying degrees for 24+ hours after an intense training bout.

If it is appropriate for the current goal based training program and the client is able I like to incorporate some specific styles of training execution in each training session to get them to that threshold.

Why do I do this? Frankly because it is too good not too. Again, it is very situational and specific to each client but if I can place something that will continue energy expenditure, meaning continuation of calorie burning, this normally only will mean good things from a metabolic stand point.

This is especially true to the person who is trying to lose some fat/weight for one reason or another. This happens to be the majority of my clientele but now and over the last few years and it is a great training modality to incorporate.

Whats even better is research shows that we actually might cause a greater level of epoc when we use intense, heavy weight training as our means to reach that threshold to where we see epic significantly.

Why is this better? Because we can kill two birds with one stone: we get all the benefits from heavy weight training but when we perform that heavy weight training in a manner in which it will help us generate and reach epic then we are really causing some magic to happen metabolically and physiologically speaking.

Something to think about.

https://www.acefitness.org/blog/5004/5-habits-that-will-help-increase-your-longevity

#epoc #train #trainhard #oxygen #lift #lyft #gym #built #bylt #weightlift #strength #trainwithcole #legacybuilder #legacy #buildit

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Good session early this AM but man it wiped me out - I just want to sleep haha!

Still tweaking and working out how much volume to do on this split with its various days. I may add some more direct hamstring work on this day going forward depending on recover ability.

10/3/16 - Day 8 Lower Power Hamstring/Glute Focus

Sumo deadlift potentiating sets of 6: 6x315, 6x365, 6x405

Leg press potentiating sets of 6: 6x8pps, 6x10pps, 6x11pps

Cable pull through MR: 6x72.5/6/6/6/6/6

Seated Calf Raise: 8x70ps, 8x80ps, 6xps

Donkey Calf Raise: 8x300, 8, 8

Weight cable crunches: 15x90, 15x100, 15

Lying Leg raise: 15xbwx3

**daily cell swell**

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Something I like to include in my training for my online clients in their training programs are certain types of exercise groupings and protocols that will elicit the "EPOC" effect.

For those that do not know what EPOC is it stands for "excessive post exercise oxygen consumption". In short, when we exercise, specifically intensely exercise, we create an oxygen debt in our bodies that our bodies have to "pay back" after the session is over. We vastly deplete our oxygen and then have re-fill it. It is a demanding metabolic process and it causes the continuation of energy expenditure to varying degrees for 24+ hours after an intense training bout.

If it is appropriate for the current goal based training program and the client is able I like to incorporate some specific styles of training execution in each training session to get them to that threshold.

Why do I do this? Frankly because it is too good not too. Again, it is very situational and specific to each client but if I can place something that will continue energy expenditure, meaning continuation of calorie burning, this normally only will mean good things from a metabolic stand point.

This is especially true to the person who is trying to lose some fat/weight for one reason or another. This happens to be the majority of my clientele but now and over the last few years and it is a great training modality to incorporate.

Whats even better is research shows that we actually might cause a greater level of epoc when we use intense, heavy weight training as our means to reach that threshold to where we see epic significantly.

Why is this better? Because we can kill two birds with one stone: we get all the benefits from heavy weight training but when we perform that heavy weight training in a manner in which it will help us generate and reach epic then we are really causing some magic to happen metabolically and physiologically speaking.

Something to think about.

https://www.acefitness.org/blog/5004/5-habits-that-will-help-increase-your-longevity

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
You should tag some people man. This is a cool log!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Meant to sub the other day when I stumbled across this... Really great and detailed log you've got here. I haven't ahd a chance to watch the vids since I'm usually at work but the little info nuggets and "rants" are stellar.

Keep it up for sure and i'll be following along!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
You should tag some people man. This is a cool log!
I really appreciate the kind words man. You will have to forgive my ignorance but how do I tag people? Just like you would on social media? Just tag other forum members?

haha I am still figuring this board out.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Meant to sub the other day when I stumbled across this... Really great and detailed log you've got here. I haven't ahd a chance to watch the vids since I'm usually at work but the little info nuggets and "rants" are stellar.

Keep it up for sure and i'll be following along!

Hey man thanks so much of the kind words, I really appreciate it a lot.

And I am glad you like the info nuggets and rants haha - my goal with any log I do on any boards is to share about my experiences in the iron game and to help along anyone else I can in anyway I can. Thats why I personal train in person and coach online is because I truly enjoy helping people.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
To tag people you put an "@" before the name for eg. coledreyer

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
To tag people you put an "@" before the name for eg. coledreyer
Ah okay gotcha. I will have to start doing so to help keep a good flow of discussions here.

Thanks man!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Off day today and it feels good. Body is tired and feels nice to rest. The 2 on 1 off while doing an upper/lower split is working well so far.

So just work and grubbin today.

Currently eating this:

4oz top sirloin
250g jasmine rice
1 tbsp olive oil.

Yesterday's ig Fit Tip

https://vimeo.com/185523427

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
As someone who works full time in the personal training and physique consultation biz I, like many other professionals in various vocations, am constantly looking to excel at my craft.

I find that often times the answer is to simplify down to a couple of key actions and do them extremely well. Three things I strive to do and believe any good online or in person coach should do are:

1. Is very specific in program tailoring for each client. It is not too difficult to tell if your receiving a "cookie cutter" program or one that appears to have no uniqueness to the client.

2. Keeps their processes and styles of practice simple and doesn't get caught up in flashy trends or fads. Often times "boring" ways of doing things are the most optimal ways, especially from and to a results stand point.

3. Keeps very good documentation and notes of a client's progress through the time training together and uses this information to help teach their client. This is especially a great trait to have in an online coach and trainer - a great coach/trainer looks to develop the client into a self-automated goal achieving machine; essentially eliminating the need for the coach in some regard. The best coaches are teachers who can teach their client how to do all things fitness related on their own should they choose that.

By no means are these 3 points the only things that make a trainer/coach great at what they do but I do believe that the majority of great trainers and coaches will absolutely do all three of these things in some regard.

If you are client of either an in person or online coach I would encourage to determine if they are doing these three things for you - your effort and

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
As someone who works full time in the personal training and physique consultation biz I, like many other professionals in various vocations, am constantly looking to excel at my craft.

I find that often times the answer is to simplify down to a couple of key actions and do them extremely well. Three things I strive to do and believe any good online or in person coach should do are:

1. Is very specific in program tailoring for each client. It is not too difficult to tell if your receiving a "cookie cutter" program or one that appears to have no uniqueness to the client.

2. Keeps their processes and styles of practice simple and doesn't get caught up in flashy trends or fads. Often times "boring" ways of doing things are the most optimal ways, especially from and to a results stand point.

3. Keeps very good documentation and notes of a client's progress through the time training together and uses this information to help teach their client. This is especially a great trait to have in an online coach and trainer - a great coach/trainer looks to develop the client into a self-automated goal achieving machine; essentially eliminating the need for the coach in some regard. The best coaches are teachers who can teach their client how to do all things fitness related on their own should they choose that.

By no means are these 3 points the only things that make a trainer/coach great at what they do but I do believe that the majority of great trainers and coaches will absolutely do all three of these things in some regard.

If you are client of either an in person or online coach I would encourage to determine if they are doing these three things for you - your effort and
As someone who works in the consulting and coaching field for a living, this is the most underappreciated aspect of a good coach/mentor. Too often people are so concerned with the end result that they lose the importance of learning through the journey. Yes, it often takes more effort or time, but the final payback is ten fold for those who can truly execute in this manner.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
As someone who works in the consulting and coaching field for a living, this is the most underappreciated aspect of a good coach/mentor. Too often people are so concerned with the end result that they lose the importance of learning through the journey. Yes, it often takes more effort or time, but the final payback is ten fold for those who can truly execute in this manner.

Couldn't agree more. I think one of the greatest challenges a coach can have with a client is to help the client give the same concentration they have on the end goal to the process and journey. If they can do that then that client is going to really reach some awesome success.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
The other day I was asked a great question which was about how can one get themselves amped up for the gym if they just are not feeling it. I thought this was great because everyone has days and times where they just don't feel like going in and doing the session they had planned.

This can quickly brew discontent and frustration with their progress or lack there of and can absolutely discourage someone.

Here is my thoughts on some things you can do regularly to combat this.

When I personally am finding to find fire for the gym or life on a day I find that doing two things help me:

1. Remembering why I started & reconnecting with that personal reasoning and goal.

2. Refocus myself on the process and not just the end result I am shooting for. Reconnecting with the fact that the joy comes from the process of doing and living the lifestyle, not just the achievement of the results.

3. Look at how much progress I have made and realizing that that progress was made because I chose to go in and do the workout and work inspire of not feeling like it all the time.

I would say those things help me the most. I think for most people if they take the 5 minutes to actually go through those scenarios they end up getting the drive to push through the feeling of not wanting too - because that feeling doesn't last.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I disagree for one simple reason: the client shouldn't be able to attain that level of autonomy for them not to need coaching unless the coach them self is inexperienced. For whatever reason, this is the only field where people think you can acquire all the skills and knowledge you need in a few years, which is completely untrue. They will obviously start to learn as they develop and adapt, but I think it's disrespectful to coaches out there to think their expertise can acquired in such a short period of time.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I disagree for one simple reason: the client shouldn't be able to attain that level of autonomy for them not to need coaching unless the coach them self is inexperienced. For whatever reason, this is the only field where people think you can acquire all the skills and knowledge you need in a few years, which is completely untrue. They will obviously start to learn as they develop and adapt, but I think it's disrespectful to coaches out there to think their expertise can acquired in such a short period of time.
I actually totally agree with you, but I still hold to the fact that a coaches "goal" should be to pass on everything they have; However, a good coach will also be continuously improveing and learning themself as well, creating an "everlasting" gap with the mentee. A good coach will always be learning too and never content that they "know it all" so in that respect, both of us are correct.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
10/5/16 - Day 10 Upper Metabolic/Cell Swell Push Focus

Smith Machine Flat BB bench press 1 set, 15-20 reps RPE 10: 14.75x245 - this can be better from a contraction standpoint

DB Lateral Raise: 2 sets, 2 double drop sets 12-20 reps. 20x30s, 20, 12/12x20s/12x15s, 15/12/10

Seated Cable Row 2 sets of 12-15 reps: 13x150, 12x165

Incline dumbbell fly of choice super set with Decline machine press: 15x50s/12x2pps, 12/12
** swapping decline press machine for barbbell decline press going forward**

Seated Smith Machine Barbell Shoulder Press: 1 set, 15-20 reps RPE 10: 20x135 - estimated off what I can do for 6, could have added about 20-25lbs. Know this for next time.

Rope Press Down: 2 sets of double drop sets 12-20 reps: 12x52.5/12x42.5/12x32.5, 12x42.5/12x32.5/12x22.5

Lever edge iso pull down Beast protocol muscle round, 1 round: 12x1pps/10/8/8/8/8

Standing alternating DB curl - 2 sets of 12-15 reps: 12x30s, 8x40s/4x30s

Prime row shrugs ss rear delt fly machine: 12x1pps+25ps/15x84, 12/15, 12/15

** daily cell swell **

*felt okay about today - first chest movement could have been better. Considering swapping for a flat chest press machine that really feels good BUT I do value getting effecient in the compounds.

*need to pick a more taxing lift for triceps instead of cable press down

*will probably swap seated cable row for DB row

Yesterday's tip!

https://vimeo.com/185820681

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Your log actually makes me want to add a few videos to my log as well :D great job man.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
I think that is very client dependent. I think some clients might think they can achieve that level of knowledge in such a short time and that is completely on them: are they being arrogant in that or are they studying in-depth and accelerating their own learning as best they can in humble way.

Regardless you can't shove 10 years of good learning into two. My point was more or less that the best coaches are those that give all that they possible can as they continue to learn and grow themselves.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Your log actually makes me want to add a few videos to my log as well :D great job man.

Thank you sir for the kind words! Thanks for stopping in and posting too!

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
No worries man. Looking good.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think that is very client dependent. I think some clients might think they can achieve that level of knowledge in such a short time and that is completely on them: are they being arrogant in that or are they studying in-depth and accelerating their own learning as best they can in humble way.

Regardless you can't shove 10 years of good learning into two. My point was more or less that the best coaches are those that give all that they possible can as they continue to learn and grow themselves.
I agree with the second part, but that's not the same as developing autonomy in a client. This is one of the main reasons that PT/S&C certifications are a joke; have you ever seen how old the data is that they present?

Regardless of intent, it must be established to the client what is realistic and what is not. That's on the coach/practitioner and not the client.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
A question I am asked on a regular occasion

"Should I do High intensity cardio or slower state cardio?"

My answer? It depends.

It depends on what your goals are and why you are doing cardio.

If your goal is general cardiovascular health then I would tell you that moderate pace steady state sessions are totally fine. You of course could do some HIT style cardio if you so desired.

If your goal is fat loss (which for many it is) then I would tell you that you should do only as much cardio that is needed to maintain a good rate of loss during a fat loss phase. On the scale this might translate to 1-3 pounds loss per week.

I would then tell you that you need to ensure that the kind of cardio you do makes sense when combined with your current diet and weight training protocols. Depending on what your doing in those variables will play into what kind of cardio you should do.

Is one better then the other? Maybe. From what science tells us we will probably generate a higher caloric expenditure in a shorter time via HIT style cardio but doesn't mean slower or less intense types of cardio are worthless.

In fact, depending on the metabolic demands someone has currently and sometimes the slightest bit of cardio can illicit some excellent fat loss.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
You want to know what will kill your drive, motivation and zeal for your fitness goals and for the gym and training?

Comparing yourself to others.

Seriously there are few thing I know of that zap you of the joy and motivation and burning desire to achieve body change more then the comparing of yourself to others. Where you are now and where "they" are.

We all do this. I sure know I struggle with it. We see some ones picture or video and they look incredible or they are hitting some super heavy lift with some wild weight and we, if we are not careful, will immediately size ourselves up to them and if we deem them "better" then us we will instantly think less of ourselves.

Our self talk normally begins to turn negative here too.

Friends don't compare yourself to where you are now with someone else's highlight reel. There are going to be times when you witness some do something or achieve something wildly awesome because they threw it on social media for all to see. That moment might be there highlight reel - everyone looks good in their own highlight reel and we shouldn't assume they are like that 24/7 nor let that become the new standard in our minds in terms of how we measure up to ourselves.

Rather what you should do is focus and compare yourself to you. Where were you a year ago? Six months? One month? Have you made progress since those times? If so then compare yourself to you and see the progress you have made. Let that be an encouragement to you to continue on in your goals.

This something I stress a lot with clientele. I tell them that the goal with physique or body change is to improve them, not try to beat somebody else. If we focus on making progress within our own physique we will enjoy the lifestyle way more.

Don't trap yourself in self destructing comparison to others.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Great chest and delts session today. Focused on some key compounds working up to heavy sets of 6. Contractions were great and I felt that I put some great work through the muscles.

10/10/16 - Mechanical Chest/Delts

IDB press: 10x75s, 10x85s, 8, 6x100s

Flat BB press: 6x185, 6x225, 6x245, 6x265, 6ishx275

Magnum fly machine: 12x144, 12x156, 12x168

Magnum rear delt: 12x84, 12, 12x96, 12x108

DB laterals: 20x15s, 20, 15x20s, 12x25s, 12x25s/12x15s/12x10s

Seated BB SP: 6x135, 6x155, 6x175

DB laterals MR: 6x45s/6/6/6/6/6

**daily cell swell**

Top set of incline with 100s

https://vimeo.com/186275851

Top set of flat bench at 275

https://vimeo.com/186276183

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Most women who begin exercising and begin going to a gym, with serious physique change in mind, typically have on their list of physical goals something to the effect of:

"Have a tone and firm butt and legs."

The vast majority of women I have trained or spoken too about physique change mention how they want to improve their backside.

It is no secret that weight training is one of the fastest ways to changing the body and some of the best weight training movements to improve the quality and development of anyone's backside, male or female, are the squat and deadlift.

So ladies, I recommend that you squat and deadlift to bring improvement to your bum and your legs.

Too often I see ladies spend the bulk of their time on movements like kickbacks, hip thrust variations, standing adduction, and the like. While these are not bad or not worth doing they certainly won't provide the same tension and mechanical stress that various squat and deadlift variations can provide to the buttocks and entire leg.

If you truly want a great posterior chain from the waist down then I highly encourage heavy variations of the the squat and deadlift and then follow up with some of the accessory style movements I listed above.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Back. was. wasted.

Excellent contractions and feel through the entire back. I decided to throw rack deads at the end to see how that would effect what numbers I could pull but more importantly what tension felt like after doing all over back movements and quite frankly it felt very good. I topped out at 495 for 3. Last back workout I did rack deads much earlier in the workout and topped at 545 for 3 but I remember my contractions weren't as good as they were on that top set as they were today. Sure it was 50lbs less but I felt like my lats did basically all the work.

Vids for some movements later.

10/11/16 - Mechanical Back
ISO horizontal row machine: 6x2pps+35ps, 6x3pps+10ps, 6x3pps+20ps
Prime Bent over Row: 8x2pps+25, 8, 8x2pps+35ps
Shoulder width MAG pull down: 8x120, 6x150, 6
ISO high row: 8x1pps, 8x1pps+25ps, 8
Rack dead: 6x135, 6x225, 6x315, 6x405, 3x495
DB shrugs: 6x55kg, 6, 6
**daily Cell Swell**

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Back. was. wasted.

Excellent contractions and feel through the entire back. I decided to throw rack deads at the end to see how that would effect what numbers I could pull but more importantly what tension felt like after doing all over back movements and quite frankly it felt very good. I topped out at 495 for 3. Last back workout I did rack deads much earlier in the workout and topped at 545 for 3 but I remember my contractions weren't as good as they were on that top set as they were today. Sure it was 50lbs less but I felt like my lats did basically all the work.

Vids for some movements later.

10/11/16 - Mechanical Back
ISO horizontal row machine: 6x2pps+35ps, 6x3pps+10ps, 6x3pps+20ps
Prime Bent over Row: 8x2pps+25, 8, 8x2pps+35ps
Shoulder width MAG pull down: 8x120, 6x150, 6
ISO high row: 8x1pps, 8x1pps+25ps, 8
Rack dead: 6x135, 6x225, 6x315, 6x405, 3x495
DB shrugs: 6x55kg, 6, 6
**daily Cell Swell**
pps/ps?

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
A common phrase you might hear in the fitness world is "keep a neutral spine."

You might hear this in a PT office or when a trainer is cueing a client in a specific lift.

What is a neutral spine? You can literally have dozens of meanings to this (of which I will get to in a minute) but in general that phrase refers to someone who is standing up with what biomechanics would call good posture: a spine that exhibits an 'S' shape with slight lumbar lordosis and slight thoracic kyphosis.

So how do we have dozens of variations of this? I think it is best said in this quote of the article below:

"Mike Robertson wrote...that neutral spine is more of an optimal range for a specific exercise or movement versus a static position to adhere to all the time."

I thought it was too good not to share. What is it saying? It's saying that for specific movements, exercises, athletic skills, etc. there are optimal ranges that are specific to that movement and because of that the correct "neutral spine" position is going to vary.

And this makes sense right? For one each persons structure and mechanics are going to vary so to say that there is one rigid way of having a neutral spine isn't fair to bioindividuality.

Second, the correct neutral spine position for a defensive end preparing to take on the block of an offensive tackle is going to be different then the neutral spine position of some body in a heavy squat movement.

When we consider this it should help use realize that we need to place ourselves, and especially our spines, in positions that are most safe and optimal for specific movements so we can own whatever it is we are about to do.

Own real good. And protect your back.

http://deansomerset.com/random-training-ramblings-neutral-spine-concepts/

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Every so often I will make a post about mobility because I think it is under valued. Regardless of what kind of fitness person or athlete you are you can benefit from keep your joints as healthy as possible.

What is the point of all these physical endeavors and quests we partake on if we struggle with regular and nagging pain that detracts from everyday life?

There isn't one and it sucks when you hurt frequently.

The three most common parts of the body that need mobility are:

1. The rotator cuff and shoulder
2. The low back
3. The hips to knee complex.

There are DOZENS of various ways you can go about "tuning up" your joint mobility and health and I recommend folks spend time figuring out which joints need it and then regularly do 2-3 movements as a pre-Hab to prevent injury or unnecessary wear and tear.

This is what I do with myself and clientele. If a client of mine has pre existing injury or if I feel that their training demands place too much stress on certain joints I will have them do some simple mobility work as a part of their workouts.

Does it have the same priority as the training goal? No because they aren't worth taking too much time and effort (which many people get way caught up in and spend way to much effort imo on various mobility related work to the point that it hinders training). BUT doing little bits of it here and there can aid joint health and maintaining joint integrity way more then you might think.

This article talks specifically to the three places I mentioned above and I would take some time to read through it and see some of the various exercises you can do to help certain body areas.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/your-guide-to-preventing-nearly-all-joint-injuries.html

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Some good old fashion arm training today!

Started off with keeping to the 6-8 re ranges but my elbows began to really get aggravated. Called an audible and kept things in the 12-15 after the first several movements to remain pain free.

EZ bar cable curl: 8x90, 8x110, 8x130, 8x150, 4x170
EZ bar cable press down: 8x90, 8x110, 8x130, 8x150, 4x170

Smith CGBP: 8x225, 8x245, 6x265

DB hammer curl: 15x30s, 15, 15

Plate loaded dip: 20x1pps, 15x2pps, 12x2pps+25ps
Plate loaded Prime preacher curl: 12x45, 12, 12

Overhead cable press: 10x70, 18x40, 15x40
Incline seated DB curl: 15x10kg's, 12-15, 12

Weighted ab crunch: 15x90, 15
Lying leg raise: 15xbw, 15 - just two sets here because during the second I Almost literally crapped my pants so I ran to the bathroom lol

Tips of the last couple days

https://vimeo.com/187104496

https://vimeo.com/187104546

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Does increasing your strength automatically mean you will also increase muscle hypertrophy (growth)?

A lot of times yes but no necessarily. Wat?

Let me explain.

A little while ago I wrote a post about the three mechanisms of muscular hypertrophy (if you missed it comment below or message me and I can send it to you) where I spoke briefly about how they cause and contribute to muscle growth.

One of those mechanisms is the mechanical tension of the load (weight) that is placed on the muscles during a specific movement or exercise.

This is very important because for a muscle to grow (at least optimally) I believe that the muscle tissue themselves need to bear the majority of the tension caused by the specific load/weight. Joints and ligaments can take on that tension too and when they do opposed to our muscle tissue we are robbing our muscles opportunity to do work which would lead to a favorably response like hypertrophy.

So how does this relate to getting strong? Have you every noticed that some of the world's strongest people are not always overly muscular? Sure they hold and have a good amount of muscle but when we see a guy squat 800lbs he doesn't always have legs that look like they could squat 800 pounds.

Why is this? Well there are a number of reasons but in short it is because we can get stronger at a lift via technique/skill, increases in our central nervous system that allow us to become stronger without necessarily growing new muscle tissue and because strength can be effected a persons specific structure and mechanics.

Yes, a lot of time when we get stronger at a lift we get bigger in the musculature that is used for that lift and typically a bigger muscle is a stronger one but that is not always the case.

If your goal is to grow muscle tissue to max then I would submit that you should make it your focus to ensure that when we are weight training you are working to keep basically the entire tension of the load you are doing on the muscle itself and then after that focus on increasing strength on that movement.

http://dicktalens.com/guest-post-the-definitive-guide-to-gaining-muscle/

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Heck of a leg session today. The pump and feel of the quads and hamstrings was quite good. I was pleased with the movement selections and felt they help keep the tension where I want it.

10/14/16 - mechanical legs

Front squat Machine: 6x6pps, 7x6pps, 6x8pps

SLDL: 6x135, 6x225, 6x275, 6x295

Vsquat: 8x3pps, 8x4pps, 6x5pps

Prime lying leg curl: 8x2p, 8x2p+25, 8

Leg press: 8x8pps, 8

Seated cr: 8x70ps, 8

Donkey calf raise: 8x360, 8

Top set of front squat

https://vimeo.com/187371995

Top set SLDL

https://vimeo.com/187372377

Yesterday's tip

https://vimeo.com/187372514

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
You want to know what the secret to muscle and strength gain is?

You will have never seen this coming. Ready?

1. Consistently weight training over time while working to progressively overload (do more weights or use more reps at certain weights) in your workouts.

2. Consistently follow a nutrition plan that supports #1. Typically this will be done progressively too meaning as time goes on and as you grow more muscle tissue thus creating a higher metabolic and caloric demand for your body you will need to consume more food.

3. Do numbers 1 and 2 consistently for a while.

Voila. Secret revealed!

But in all seriousness this really is the bottom line. And in my experience the clients I have worked with who have experienced the most success bought in to this simplicity, followed a plan that was centered around this and they reaped the benefits.

Not to mention this kind of simplicity takes a lot of the "fuss and muss" out of workouts and training.

Can you see what I am saying? If not then shoot me a message or comment below and let's talk about it.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Know when to call an audible.

Goal oriented people who are serious about their fitness and physique goals typically enter the gym with some form of plan to follow that will help them take a step forward. This is good and I recommend this for sure.

However their are days when either because of outside circumstances or because of a gut feeling or an injury you need to call an audible and adjust the plan. And this is totally okay.

Having a plan going helps us in the times we need to audible because we have a foundation from which to work with. We can adjust and make changes to specific exercises and movements but still remain within the boundaries of our original plan because we know what we wanted to accomplish within that session.

There is nothing wrong with this and no reason to feel bad about it. I find that some people are so married to the plan that any deviation really causes them to struggle mentally. Don't let that happen to yourself.

Infant when these days happen it provides great opportunity for you to increase your "training wisdom" in that you learn something new about yourself, how you program workouts for yourself, even on the fly, and you become in tune a bit more with your body.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Alright fellas here is the scoop from the last two days.

I was reminded last night of a reason why I train in the AM. The War House was packed. Full of people. So much that my plan had to go out the window and I had to train chest and delts with what equipment was available.

Still a good session but a good reminder as to why I don't do that haha.

Today's back session was great. Did a lot of vertical movements in the 12-15 range and the rack deads with chains felt great. Feeling pretty worn right now a few hours later.

10/18/16
Day 7 Metabolic Back/traps
Magnum Grip Shoulder Width Pull down: 15x100, 15x120, 12x140, 12x150
Prime Plate loaded pull down: 12x2p+25, 12x3ppsx2
Hammer Strength ISO horizontal Row: 15x1pps, 13, 15
Assisted Chins super set with rack dead lifts: 10x120/10x275, 10/10, 10x120/10x275+45lb chains per side
Cable pull over: 12x42.5, 12, 15
Prime Row Machine Shrugs: 15x1pps, 12, 12
*daily cell swell*

10/17/16 (what actually happened BC I went late when gym was busy)

Pec dec: 15x50, 15x80, 15x100
Plate load flat press: 15x1pps, 12x1pps+25ps, 15, 6.5x2pps
Incline BB: 6x135, 6x185 - elbows started yelling at me so changed movements.
Prime Plate loaded incline press: 15x2pps, 7x2pps*25ps
HS Incline press as fly: 12x25ps, 15
DB laterals super set with rear delt fly machine: 20x15s/20x72, 20/20, 20x20s/20x84, 20x25s/20x84
Plate loaded shoulder press: 20x1pps, 20x2pps, 20

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Its the Fall time, my absolute favorite season of the year.

I am a total typical white girl when it comes to the fall - I love crips mornings, I love girly fall coffee drinks, I like to walk through fall leaves with my dog, have candles light the house with savory fall scents, and wear comfortable fall warm clothing.

I don't care if I sound girly. I like those things. Come at me.

But with the Fall and Winter months here and approaching that means most folks will start spending more time in doors. The days get shorter, we have more overcast and that generally means less sun exposure.

Because of this you may want to begin taking Vitamin D3 as a supplement.

You see our bodies naturally produce vitamin D via exposure to the sun. Reactions occur when we come in contact with the Sun's UVB rays where vitamin D is synthesized on the dermal layer of the skin from cholesterol and is activated within the liver and kidneys.

So less sun means less of our Vitamin D production. However we can help mitigate this with proper Vitamin D3 supplementation. This type of Vitamin D, the D3, is known as a "cholecalciferol" is the most bioavailable to humans and is supported by loads of research to be the most beneficial for human health in a multitude of categories. Just do a simple google search for the benefits of Vitamin D3 and you will see what I mean.

However what I want to point out the most as a great reason to take Vitamin D3 other then lack of sun exposure is the positive benefits it has shown to have on mood. I find that a lot of people struggle with feeling a bit more down in their mood during the long cold and darker fall and winter months and I think it would be worth your while to take Vitamin D3 to help avoid this common occurrence.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Its the Fall time, my absolute favorite season of the year.

I am a total typical white girl when it comes to the fall - I love crips mornings, I love girly fall coffee drinks, I like to walk through fall leaves with my dog, have candles light the house with savory fall scents, and wear comfortable fall warm clothing.

I don't care if I sound girly. I like those things. Come at me.
Fall is the best... Pumpkin spice my life. You're spot on with all this haha

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Fall is the best... Pumpkin spice my life. You're spot on with all this haha
Haha glad there is another man who appreciates the good of fall - girly or not!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Alright, time for a post about life and an observation I have made.

Most of my posts are something about health, fitness and the personal training I do online and in person. I try to produce the highest quality short blogs and videos I can to give people practical take aways they can apply to their own goals in hopes that your efforts will see you achieve some sweet progress and positive outcomes.

That is what I want to talk about today. Outcomes.

You see we try so hard to achieve certain outcomes. We believe if we try hard enough or put in enough work we can force the out comes we want to happen.

In some scenarios this is absolutely true. Let use weight loss for example. If you want to lose 10lbs, if that is the outcome you want to force to happen, you can do that without too much hard workout or too much try hard.

But there are a lot of scenarios were the outcomes we want we can not force to happen - even those we feel that we have direct control over.

Example of this? I will use myself. Recently my wife's and I professional world was turned upside down. We had relocated to a new state for jobs that were very promising and would have been very cool. We did all the right things, put in a lot of time and effort, moved, did all the things that would, in our minds, guarantee this outcome of cool new jobs with great pay and a fun new professional chapter in our lives.

Welp, those jobs completely fell through right as we were officially starting them with the majority of it being totally out of our hands and control.

And that happens in life. It sucks but it does happen.

So the take away here? Understand that a lot of times when we think we have direct control over certain outcomes often times we do not have direct control. Often times there are variables that could come into play that we just do not have any say over no matter how "right" or "perfect" our actions have been to achieve them.

Don't be discouraged when this happens. I encourage you to go after your goals and desires full tilt but I encourage you even more to hold those desires with an open hand and not closed fist.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
A tool I have used over the last couple years to incorporate cardio aspects into my weight training is the use of giant sets.

What is a giant set? It essentially is essentially completing 1 set of 3-4 exercises (or more) consecutively to form 1 giant set.

I typically like to do this at the end of certain workouts. I might do 1-3 rounds of something like this on movements centered around the muscle groups trained that day. Depending on the muscles targeted I like to start with a compound movement for 8-10 reps, then move on to another compound movement that requires a movement at a different angle and plane of movement(s) than the first for say 10-15 reps and then finish the giant set with a isolation movement for 15-20 reps.

I don't like to go in a super low rep range, especially at the end of the workout when you should already be fairly fatigued, so keeping the reps in the 8-25 range will keep you from going too heavy BUT you should still absolutely work to push as much load as you can safely, while keeping tension on the muscle, in this kind of training technique. Keeping loads as heavy as you can is important for the cardio aspect because going form one movement to the next, pushing the heaviest weight you can from exercise to exercise is going to place a high demand on your cardiovascular system.

A lot of times giant sets are viewed a time to use lighter weight and just go for the squeeze and feel of the muscle. That isn't necessarily wrong but I think you are short changing yourself if you do not push yourself out of your comfort zone and go for the highest intense load you possibly came.

Do giant sets correctly and you should feel pretty gassed, effectively incorporated some cardiovascular work within your weight training and you will know that you finished the workout in an intense way.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Leg carnage from today.

Legs were visibly shaking and twitching after the session.

10/21/16 Day 10 Metabolic/Legs

Plate Load Front Squat: 12x1pps, 12x3pps, 12x5pps, 13x6pps
Straight Leg Deadlift: 12x135, 12x225, 6x315 <- little much here for the rep scheme I wanted

Traditional Leg Press: 15x6pps, 15x7pps, 10x8pps

Leg Extensions: 15x3p, 15, 15
Seated Leg Curl: 15x2p+25, 12, 12

Adductor: 20x70, 20x80, 20

Seated Calf Raise superset with Donkey Calf Raise: 15x1pps/15x240, 12/12, 12/12

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Good session today! Doesn't look like much on paper but the pump was deep and is exactly what this day is designed to do!

Day 12 Cell Swell Chest/Delts -

Chest Tri Set 3 rounds: Incline Prime Press for 15, Flat Prime Nuetral grip press for 15, incline Fly Press machine for 15: 15x2pps/15x1pps+25ps/15x1pps, 15x1pps/12x1pps/15x1pps, 15/12/15

Flat fly machine1 modified MR: 12x108/12/12/12/10/8

Delt Tri set 3 rounds: DB laterals for 20, behind neck press for 15, rear delt fly for 20: 20x22.5kg/15x1pps/20x72, 20/15/20x108, 20/15/20

Lateral raise Machine 1 Modified MR: 90x12/12/12/12/12/12

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Off day today which is a good way to start the week. Off from work and off day training. Just worked out to be that way so I am just chillin at home with my family and eating.

Great day!

Arms tomorrow!

Don't let discouragement derail your work to progress on your fitness goals.

We all get discouraged at some point. I have had it and you will too. We don't reach a level of fitness or achieve a goal in our mind's time or don't hit a specific number on the scale that we want or any other host of things can happen that can cause us to feel discouraged.

What is critical in those moments is that you do not let that discouragement and situation of adversity define you or your ability. Those feelings do not last. That is the thing about feelings good or bad: they don't ever last. And this is so important to hold to in the times of discouragement because that inherent feeling itself can't really slow or stop progress. You can still be making progress - heck you can make just as good progress when your feeling discouraged as when you are feeling great. Its when we let the feelings and the emotions of discouragement spill into our actions that it hinder us.

Resolve to not let discouragement keep or get you down. If you have let it do that to you (and we all have) pick yourself up as best you can and keep moving forward toward your goal even if you don't feel like. Because no matter how long the season of discouragement lasts it will end and when it does you will be very thankful you preserved.

Surround yourself with a positive base of encouragement with the people in your corner and keep moving forward!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Don't miss the forest for the trees.

As a personal trainer/coach both in person and online I see far too often too many people missing the importance of the simple basics that illicit the vast majority of fitness goals for whatever new and hip trick or method is currently being marketed by company or person x, y or z.

People totally miss the "forest" of consistent adherence to a diet and training program over time that yields results for the MAJORITY of fitness goals (especially those aesthetically related) for the "tree's" of some well marketed "fitness secret" "fat loss secret" "muscle gain holy grail" or "6 pack abs in 6 weeks" etc, etc. type of "technique".

Some folks, if they don't fall for the flashy "tree" of a fad may instead get caught up in the minutia of a specific "tree" that in of itself is good but if made the main thing that must be accomplished for progress will that it doesn't yield the results they are looking for.

Take a popular diet scheme that shall remain nameless where you essentially alternate between whole food meals and various kinds of protein shakes. That kind of eating plan isn't inherently wrong, the "forest" of diet/meal plan is critical and important, but this kind of plan focuses on the "tree" of following a meal plan that follows strictly a whole food meal followed by a shake. This fails to take into account the need to track calories and macronutrients to ensure that the fitness goal is being progressed in, not simply left to chance because we follow a meal plan alternating between solid and liquid foods flawlessly.

Do you see what I am saying here? Keep the main things the main things. Enjoy the beauty of the forest, not the allure of a single tree.