deathlifts

Okie_lifter

Awards
What's up guys. First post but been using AM for awhile. I've only been dead lifting about maybe 4 months and I love it. A month ago I popped a rib out while squatting so I took a couple weeks off and came back and pulled a PR of 465. I was pumped. Then 2 days ago my lifting partner pulled his PR of 500. He's about 5 ft10 215 where as I'm about 6ft 176. (I know my leverage is not helping me at all haha) we're both 20. My lock out is really strong it just seems I lack explosiveness to break inertia and get the weight off the floor. I've been working hams and glutes a lot recently because when I first started I had weak "tissue paper hamstrings". I just started pulls from deficit, anything else I should do? I want to pull 500 ASAP.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Deficits are good. Heavy shrugs twice a month are also helpful.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get a video of you pulling somewhere around 90%. It could be a simple technical adjustment that's needed. What kind of shoes do you where?

Okie_lifter

Awards
I do need to shrug more often, but just twice a month? You think that is sufficient? I pulled on Sunday and my hams are pretty sore still but I could probably pull today and try and get a video up. I deadlift in vans, they're pretty flat and low. I think a technique adjustment will probably be beneficial as I know I tend to drive my my hips up early, I'm sure there are plenty of other things as well.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
I do need to shrug more often, but just twice a month? You think that is sufficient?
If you can shrug more than twice a month without it impairing your deadlift performance, then you're a mutant or not going heavy enough.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do need to shrug more often, but just twice a month? You think that is sufficient? I pulled on Sunday and my hams are pretty sore still but I could probably pull today and try and get a video up. I deadlift in vans, they're pretty flat and low. I think a technique adjustment will probably be beneficial as I know I tend to drive my my hips up early, I'm sure there are plenty of other things as well.
Don't rush it. Give it another day or two and then film a few attempts. I'm not a huge fan of shrugs helping out deadlifts, but there are some that are. SLDL, good mornings, and ab work are my main builders for deads.

Okie_lifter

Awards
Don't rush it. Give it another day or two and then film a few attempts. I'm not a huge fan of shrugs helping out deadlifts, but there are some that are. SLDL, good mornings, and ab work are my main builders for deads.
Went ahead and did some legs today. Pulled 405 after some deficit work. Hamstrings were destroyed so it was a pretty difficult pull. Tried to upload the video but it wont allow it because I don't have a post count of 20 or higher yet