Dear christ, I wish I didn't own a Truck

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Someone linked it to me - was from Hot or Not...

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I bought my wife a new car last year, and we looked at the hybrids but dang what a rip, we got a 5speed corolla (40mpg) at half the price. After living in Europe for 8 years $3 doesn't seem so bad, majority of europeans drive diesels (diesel is taxed less=lower price) unfortunately here the diesel is the same as Reg gas. Sure wish I still had my 81 diesel rabbit (50-60mpg, had to push uphill though).

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, who gives a flying f*ck about a bike??

I'm here for big tits damn it!!!

Spectre32

Spectre32

Awards
Yeah see the non hybrid get 12MPG and the hybrid get 13MPG.. but when u buy the car it comes in both models... one MPG is for speed >100MPH and the other is for <100MPH

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Honestly if I was big oil I'd charge more also. That's pretty much the point of business, make as much money as possible.

I understand why people don't like that, though.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I understand why people don't like that, though. Again, people should have been
more intelligent when they decided to purchase that low MPG vehicle.
LoL - true. But knowing what I know now, I'd still probably buy my gas guzzling Jeep. It doesn't matter how smart I am if I'm not thinking with that organ. :)

Kind of the same reason why I try to pack muscle on my body. Yes, my "MPG" (with food) is worse than those skinny marathon runners, and it would be cheaper to eat less, especially if the price of food all of a sudden doubles - but I'll still bite the bullet and buy more food...and just complain about it. :woohoo:

If I ever get a second vehicle, MPG will be high on the priority list.

NOTE: doggzj EDITED out that last sentance while I was quoting it, most likely to not offend anyone. So while most of my response was centered on that, I think everyone should take into account that this particular comment was removed, and nobody should get upset over it. I just didn't want to delete all that I typed, cuz, well, I typed it. LoL

But he's right anyways. :) I'll be the first to admit that I have done some things in the past that weren't the best for me financially, and I'll be the first to admit that I'll do it again. :nutkick: I'll just blame the testosterone...

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I'll just blame the testosterone...
Damn test does it every time, why were we so cursed! lol

Looks like it's time to buy that cabin in Montana, now if only I can find one with a gym with lots of chicks!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Damn test does it every time, why were we so cursed! lol

Looks like it's time to buy that cabin in Montana, now if only I can find one with a gym with lots of chicks!
I've got the numbers of a few militias up there if you want a hook up.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I've got the numbers of a few militias up there if you want a hook up.
When I said chicks I meant hot girls, not baby chickens, lol. Anyway I would have to get a gun rack for my truck, and I don't think I can afford to make it that far at $3 a gallon:trout:

redraiderdave

Awards
  • Established
FYI,

Crude closed at another record high today $75.17 Per Barrel.

Local news reported substantial increase in pawn shop business as people are liquidating valuables to pay for gas(Not a joke).

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
LoL - true. But knowing what I know now, I'd still probably buy my gas guzzling Jeep. It doesn't matter how smart I am if I'm not thinking with that organ. :)

Kind of the same reason why I try to pack muscle on my body. Yes, my "MPG" (with food) is worse than those skinny marathon runners, and it would be cheaper to eat less, especially if the price of food all of a sudden doubles - but I'll still bite the bullet and buy more food...and just complain about it. :woohoo:

If I ever get a second vehicle, MPG will be high on the priority list.

NOTE: doggzj EDITED out that last sentance while I was quoting it, most likely to not offend anyone. So while most of my response was centered on that, I think everyone should take into account that this particular comment was removed, and nobody should get upset over it. I just didn't want to delete all that I typed, cuz, well, I typed it. LoL

But he's right anyways. :) I'll be the first to admit that I have done some things in the past that weren't the best for me financially, and I'll be the first to admit that I'll do it again. :nutkick: I'll just blame the testosterone...
wow I edited in under 30 seconds and you still quoted me! :nutkick:

Spectre32

Spectre32

Awards
My futures stocks are kicking ass, i made 1G in a week from all of this gas crap. ITs kinda sad, b/c i know what ramifications this will have int he long run but for right now its kinda good.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My futures stocks are kicking ass, i made 1G in a week from all of this gas crap. ITs kinda sad, b/c i know what ramifications this will have int he long run but for right now its kinda good.
See! you're paying for your truck!

But seriously, if I had a product, and I could double my price and still sell 90% as much, of course I'd do it. It's smart business.

Investors see this and that's why oil futures are going through the roof.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I am so...SO glad I bought my 1995 Honda Accord and got rid of that POS gas hog Ford Explorer. Even at an avg of 28mpg (32Hwy/25City), Im still paying out the ass, as Im on the road at least an hour a day for the work commute, driving to the gym, etc.

There's plenty of ways for the individual to ease the financial stress of higher gas prices. Biodiesel, straight-up veg oil conversion, even building an ethanol still in your backyard. (most newer vehicles will run on straight ethanol without a problem). Most of these methods cost an initial investment of ~$2000,or about what an SUV driver is going to spend on gas this year. When I get a house in a year or so, its the first project on my list.

That crap about corn ethanol costing more energy to produce that it gives of when burned...what a load of BS. Brazil went nearly energy independant in a YEAR using sugar cane to produce ethanol (which is far more efficient than corn). You're telling me our stupid, STUPID ****ing government, who doesnt have a problem spending 100's of billions of dollars to rebuild a goat farm in the middle of nowhere couldnt subsidize some type of initiative to encourage farmers to grow a crop that was more efficient at fuel production? Does giant fat ass America really need anymore high fructose CORN syrup??

I dont want to start an argument with anyone, Im just venting because I think about all the chances over the past 20 years America had to reduce its petroleum consumption and we just kept ****ing off...well, now we're going to reap what we've sown.

It sucks for us, but Im glad gas is going up, hell I hope its up to $10.00 a ****ing gallon by 2008. Maybe that will prompt these stupid ****ing money whoring ******* politicians of ours to get their heads out of their ****ing asses and do something that's actually good for the country and the planet.

I think the biggest reason why there hasnt been a massive push for alternative energy is that they havent figured out how to effective charge money for it yet. Hydrogen cells run off water, Solar from the sun, wind from the air...how are they going to line their pockets selling free unlimited natural resources? Greedy ****ing *******s! I hope they all burn in hell.

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Damn I need to start investing...

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
BigV,
You can protest all you want, but it's pure thermodynamics that EtOH consumes more energy in making it than it gives off.

BTW - it WILL lower your gas mileage. Speaking of EtOH...

This is a cyclical business. I can't wait until the next turndown.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
BigV,
You can protest all you want, but it's pure thermodynamics that EtOH consumes more energy in making it than it gives off.

Yeah, as I stated Im just venting frustration. I always read your posts on the energy topics thoroughly because you actually work in the field...

Ive read the Berklee report on the thermodynamics of corn-based ethanol, but I'm sure there are other routes to ethanol that would provide a positive energy balance. Maybe this guy's onto something:

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/511547/?sc=dwhp

Another plant or algae that can produce ethanol without the need for distillation, solar powered harvesters, etc. Its futuristic but it would be nice if there was at least a clear plan in place on how the world is going to supply its energy needs in the next century and after. Oil wont last forever at current rates of consumption...a lot of things need to change and it wont happen overnight.

That's true. I'm sure that design changes could be implemented that would maximize the fuel efficency of EtOH. Maybe EtOH isnt even the answer, who knows. Honestly, I dont know enough about it to hypothesize with any accuracy...should have gone to school for biochem:)

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Actually - chemical engineering.

But, biochem would have been fun. Then, I could have debated Big Cat's crap about AI use during PCT.
Lol!:) I just went through one of his threads the other day and though the *same* thing:) With bio-chem I could have worked on developing a new form of plant life that could generate refined petroleum from human stupidity. We'd be saved!:D

People need to realize that the biggest portion of this price spike is due to CONGRESS - that means BOTH PARTIES.
People making dumb statements about Repubs this and Repubs that and Bush this and Bush that about them causing this spike are flat out stoooooooooopid.
Yep. I agree. I take the generalized approach and just can't stand any of them:)

BV

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
People need to realize that the biggest portion of this price spike is due to CONGRESS - that means BOTH PARTIES.
People making dumb statements about Repubs this and Repubs that and Bush this and Bush that about them causing this spike are flat out stoooooooooopid.

Prices will come back down. Refineries will come back online and will operate flat out. Inventories of gas will rise. Yet, this EtOH fiasco will remain - it will take abit to build the plants to make the stuff.

As long as we don't bomb Iran or Venezuala, that is (but Chavez needs to be taken out of power - that moron is ruining the only lifeblood that piece of crap country has...yet I digress).
That's the bottom line! If the Dems were in power they would be taking the blame and the Reps would gladly give it to them, as the opposite is happening now. Your right though, gas will come back down (probably a little higher then it was) and they will find another excuse to raise it again. It's a constant viscous cycle that will continue for quite some time I believe.

I will be filling up my gas guzzler on Monday for the last time for a year. Then it's off to the orient were I'll be walking and biking for the next year. Hope gas is down by the time I get back, can't pull my camper with a hybrid!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
The Orient eh?
I could have some fun with some chems that they allow over there!

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
The Orient eh?
I could have some fun with some chems that they allow over there!
Drugstore=Drugstore over there! Haven't found much on the quality of products though, know anything?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Well, considering it seems most powders come from there...I imagined the streets were lined with test (ala Willie Wonka).

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
we still have one gas station in little rhody that is 2.45a gal, course you waste it all driving to fill up....But I am with sunder, I love my jeep and would still buy them :)

Spectre32

Spectre32

Awards
well gas kinda levled out here in PA, its liek 2.98.... if you want to call it leveled.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
1. The instability of the middle east is making the players in the financial markets wary.
2. EPA regulations that force the refineries to make many different blends of gasoline.
3. Public demand for 3 grades of gasoline. Only 1 grade is really needed, two at the most.

I think the price of gas would be significantly lower if the refineries were only required to make 1 EPA mandated blend, AND only made 2 grades of gas... regular and premium.
On the third point. There is only 1 grade of gasoline at any given pump. A detergent is mixed in AT THE PUMP. You can do this yourself for much cheaper, but you have to measure exactly in order to determine correct octane.

The real problem are states like California which have such preposterous fuel and emissions restrictions that they require different gas than other states. Therre is such a dirth of refineries that all refineries produce gas for all states. That means refineries in NJ are producing some gas for CA.

Btw, gas prices go down in the winter because restrictions change. In the summer, emissions and fuel restrictions are such that we can only get refined gas from US refineries; foreign refined gas doesn't meet the restrictions. In the winter we can get refined gas from overseas as well as from domestic refineries, and thus supply increases in the winter and prices drop. ALternatively you could say prices go up in the summer for the same reason. Whatever the case, now you know why gas prices are on the rise again. Likely they will drop slightly in September and into October/November.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The real problem are states like California which have such preposterous fuel and emissions restrictions that they require different gas than other states. Therre is such a dirth of refineries that all refineries produce gas for all states. That means refineries in NJ are producing some gas for CA.
That's ridiculous. Who came up with that astinine scheme? Why cant the federal govenment mandate one country-wide environmental standard and 2-3 grades of gasoline?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
That's ridiculous. Who came up with that astinine scheme? Why cant the federal govenment mandate one country-wide environmental standard and 2-3 grades of gasoline?
Various greenies and the Democrats and Republicans in office who were stupid enough to go along with them.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Various greenies and the Democrats and Republicans in office who were stupid enough to go along with them.
Im all for protecting the environment, but it seems that a myriad of standards like that would end up doing more harm than good.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Im all for protecting the environment, but it seems that a myriad of standards like that would end up doing more harm than good.
In my opinion most if not all do more harm than good. But I think we can agree at least on this extreme case being that way. But bottom line is most of these regs are put in place by people who have zero to near zero education in economics, so they have no clue what the ffects will be (even though others warn them repeatedly), and what few that do have some knowledge in that area usually get it a la Karl Marx Lite, so it tends to lead to problems down the line as they don't believe the warnings, even when they come true.

A little note to the Oreilly Factor followers. He's been blowing steam about speculators, thank your lucky stars they are there. It's the perfect example of the profit motive in the market leading to energy conservation. These speculators aren't going to keep the oil to swim in like Scrooge McDuck with his gold, and every barrel of oil brought to the market in the future increases future supply and buffers any upward pressure on prices. That's how pricing fluctuations get smoothed out so we're paying 3 now and 4 or so later instead of 2 now and 6 or 7 later, and it's exactly how the market is supposed to work. Please don't get sucked in by a well meaning but seriously misdirected campaign against speculators, they're doing their job in the market, sharing future risk on this commodity and allocating some of today's supply to tomorrow and beyond, conserving because of the profit they hope to realize in the future and making everyone else's life a lot easier in the long term.