Cut Hard Or Go Home like an HGHpro!

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
UPDATE:

Thursday:

Floor press with grey short bands and 120lbs of chains. Got up to 185 and just missed 205 by a little!! If i could have locked it out I would have had it but the bands caught up to me and it didnt budge. Not bad considering the strongest lift of the day was 225. So i gots room to improve but im getting stronger.

Rest of the workout was long and brutal.

Friday:
Biceps...4 sets fat bar curl, 3 sets super set, 3 sets seated curl with dumbells. Then superset for traps. Then some abs.

Saturday: EXTRA BRUTAL!!

Dynamic lower body:
was working most of the sets with 325 + 120lbs of chains. Got to my 8th set of and was only able to hit 1 of 2. So this was my breaking point. I hit a total of about 4-5 sets with the 325 when just a few weeks ago i couldnt hit that off the box for 1 set 1 rep. The rest of the workout including lunges, reverse hyperextensions, tire flips, good morning with bands, and pushing the prowler...and lets not forget abs.

friday and saturday i was also helping my friends move. Friday pre-workout. Saturday post workout...by sunday i could hardly get out of bed for church i was so sore. Today im feeling better but my lower body is still sore.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome work Andres! I had a feeling it was one of those bars. Have never used them but have seen one or two people use them. Mostly power lifters.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Makes sense. I dont see why a bodybuilder or recreational lifter would have need of this bar. It really doesnt allow you to focus on your legs at all, rather your form and smaller accessory muscles. Great for strengthening, not so much for building.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Update:

Yesterdays Dynamic work was solid. Was working far better and faster with the weight i was struggling with last week. Was hitting the speed i needed to be hitting.

As far as my cut is coming along, its coming along quite nicely. I havent been anywhere close to being super meticulous but the fat is still coming off. Just being very sensible about amounts and what not. Making sure to get adequate protein. Ill have to find a camera and someone to take some pictures.

Going to take a break soon from the Testopro, HGHpro, DAA, and LCLT. Im thinking about switching to Stoked, Glycobol and Anabeta. Run that for a bit, then take a break and hit up the stack im on now again.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
SOunds nice, I am interested in the Anabeta myself.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Update: Max effort lower body deadlift

I think its hilarious walking into the gym I said to myself, "Christ my back is all ****ed up today...I hope Im not hitting deadlifts today" Sure enough I walk in and its deadlift day.

So even with my back not being 100% i pulled 500x1 easier then I have in the past. I went for 515 and I didnt get the lock out, so i was pretty pissed about that. But they pointed out my shortcomings and how i can improve my form to pull better. So in the end missing the lift taught me a lot.

All in all it was a good workout. Some GHR, box jumps, light squats in the pit shark. Short and sweet.

Almost forgot to mention Im pulling 500 on a bad day and im in th mid to low 180's. So i cant say ive gotten weaker. And I didnt even have to get that hyped to pull it. Just relying more on brute strength than in mental state.

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work Andres! A 500 pull is pretty impressive, I think I am close but have never attempted it.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice work Andres! A 500 pull is pretty impressive, I think I am close but have never attempted it.
Been a long time since I pulled like that and my 500 lb deads were done with straps... which adds to the lift no doubt..

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
first time i pulled 500 was with straps back my senior year in college i think.... But the minute i got serious about raw strength wraps where out and as some of you well know I very much struggle with my grip especially in the past. It's taken a good while...what close to a year or 2 to get back up to 500 with no wraps. And 500 use to be once every blue moon. Now its coming up more consistantly.

Yesterday was my rest day. I had a good diet overall...till i had some cupcakes my friend made. Oh well I'll consider it a carb up for todays max effort madness lol.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pulling 500 raw is no joke for sure. Don't worry bout those cupcakes, one time won't hurt a thing and like you said will probably make for a better workout.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Good Monday to everyone!!

Here are some updates:

Thursday was Max Effort Upper body:
Incline with changes. Hit about 325-335(at the top) and missed 345.

Friday:
Accessory work

Saturday:
Lower Body Dynamic...str8 box squat
This I noted a significant improvement. Before hand i was barely hitting 315 off the box for more then a rep or so once i got to the 5 set. Now I was hitting 345 for speed and went up to 365 off the box. At 365 i was a little slow then I would have liked so I dropped back down to 345. Though I could have stayed at 365...the point of dynamic day is speed. So i dropped the ego and the weight. Finished all 9 sets real strong. Hit some GHR, one leg hypers, and some other stuff i dont know the name to lol.

Other Updates:
I took a picture on the 22nd of how i was looking. I posted it on facebook and I'll post it here as well. It was in the wee morning hours. I was by no means dry, nor was the lighting very good but you can def see the improvements. I'll get a picture at the beginning of this cut and then post the progress pic. I'll probably take another progress pic in another 3-4 weeks. Needless to say, Im no longer shy about taking off my shirt. Im no Kleen(or DW...those guys are still way leaner and more shredded then me)...but im no longer a fatty.

Diet:

Fast breaker:
2 turkey patties (70 grams of protein)
1 package high fiber oats
2 apricots

Pre-lift:
2 scoops maniac
1 scoop RecoverPro
3 grams DAA
1 gram LCLT

Intra-workout"
3 scoops RecoverPro

Post Workout: (~100 grams of protein)
2 cups milk
4 scoops MRI NO2 Charger
2 scoops Ultimate nutrition Sensations 81
2 frozen banana's
Maybe some Bran Buds for more fiber

After this meal I try to eat as much protein as possible...but after my workouts i can barely eat anything which is why i make the protein shake so big. Trying to force feed myself is much easier with liquid then with solid food.

Today is Upper Body Dynamic. Lets see how this goes.

Also Im looking to register for my first meet. Either December after finals or June/July once I finish my degree. Lets see how this plays out.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good Monday to everyone!!

Here are some updates:

Thursday was Max Effort Upper body:
Incline with changes. Hit about 325-335(at the top) and missed 345.

Friday:
Accessory work

Saturday:
Lower Body Dynamic...str8 box squat
This I noted a significant improvement. Before hand i was barely hitting 315 off the box for more then a rep or so once i got to the 5 set. Now I was hitting 345 for speed and went up to 365 off the box. At 365 i was a little slow then I would have liked so I dropped back down to 345. Though I could have stayed at 365...the point of dynamic day is speed. So i dropped the ego and the weight. Finished all 9 sets real strong. Hit some GHR, one leg hypers, and some other stuff i dont know the name to lol.

Other Updates:
I took a picture on the 22nd of how i was looking. I posted it on facebook and I'll post it here as well. It was in the wee morning hours. I was by no means dry, nor was the lighting very good but you can def see the improvements. I'll get a picture at the beginning of this cut and then post the progress pic. I'll probably take another progress pic in another 3-4 weeks. Needless to say, Im no longer shy about taking off my shirt. Im no Kleen(or DW...those guys are still way leaner and more shredded then me)...but im no longer a fatty.

Diet:

Fast breaker:
2 turkey patties (70 grams of protein)
1 package high fiber oats
2 apricots

Pre-lift:
2 scoops maniac
1 scoop RecoverPro
3 grams DAA
1 gram LCLT

Intra-workout"
3 scoops RecoverPro

Post Workout: (~100 grams of protein)
2 cups milk
4 scoops MRI NO2 Charger
2 scoops Ultimate nutrition Sensations 81
2 frozen banana's
Maybe some Bran Buds for more fiber

After this meal I try to eat as much protein as possible...but after my workouts i can barely eat anything which is why i make the protein shake so big. Trying to force feed myself is much easier with liquid then with solid food.

Today is Upper Body Dynamic. Lets see how this goes.

Also Im looking to register for my first meet. Either December after finals or June/July once I finish my degree. Lets see how this plays out.
Alright... time to get serious!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good stuff Andres, I too drink a decent amount of my protein requirements. Some people are whole food natzis. However I find that getting 1/3-1/2 of my protein from a shake aids in overall digestion. People hype the thermal effect of whole food but bottom line when it comes to complete proteins that is a whole food, just dehydrated. It still raises TEF because it is protein. I still get warmer all over having 70 grams of protein in a shake just like I do if I have a big steak. So thermally speaking I see no difference there. On top of that it has been shown that the same amount of protein in whey as in other whole food the whey protein users actually burned more fat. So much for the biblical adherence to the whole foods argument.

I can't wait to see you do a meet. Happy that working out here has given you the confidence to make the jump.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good stuff Andres, I too drink a decent amount of my protein requirements. Some people are whole food natzis. However I find that getting 1/3-1/2 of my protein from a shake aids in overall digestion. People hype the thermal effect of whole food but bottom line when it comes to complete proteins that is a whole food, just dehydrated. It still raises TEF because it is protein. I still get warmer all over having 70 grams of protein in a shake just like I do if I have a big steak. So thermally speaking I see no difference there. On top of that it has been shown that the same amount of protein in whey as in other whole food the whey protein users actually burned more fat. So much for the biblical adherence to the whole foods argument.

I can't wait to see you do a meet. Happy that working out here has given you the confidence to make the jump.
I tend to get hungry if too much of my protein comes from shakes so I would rather have steaks...

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well I would definitely opt for steak if that was what I was eating most of the time. I think the big reason I don't get hungry after is that when I have a shake it is ALMOST ALWAYS accompanied by an ounce of almonds, and or fibrous fruit. That fat and fiber give me the satiety that I would not get from a shake otherwise.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
What a week!! So busy I barely have time to sleep!

Had my final yesterdau in Nutrition and pulled an A. So that class is done for now. Starting Physiology in the fall. Work is none stop. But lifting is still making progress.

Monday:
Upper Body Dynamic Bench: Str8 weight
First time i hit this little over a month ago (less the 2 months) I was struggling to make speed with 205. On Monday I was hitting 225 for the proper speed( and little faster with maybe 30-45 second rest between sets. It was a 2 person rotation and he would go, I would go, He would go I would go and it went like this for 12 sets. 9 working sets and 3 warm up. Needless to say ive jumped up 20lbs AND if i rested more i couldnt have jumped up even more!

Tuesday:
Lower Body Max:
Deadlift with trap bar. Went up to 485 and missed 505. Oh well. First time i ever deadlifted with a trap bar. Its gonna take a little getting use to.

Wednesday: off

Today upper body max effort. Ill update later.

Sleep has been heavily compromised. But hey it happens sometimes.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Isn't that trap bar a thing of beauty! I own one, love it, prefer it to regular deads because of how much it works the legs too. I can't think of another exercise that hits as much muscle as the trap bar dead lift.

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
WOW! Andres your just killing it sir! Interested to see how that new stack your talking about treats you. Taurus has a goodie on the way for me, so look out old PR's....

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
WOW! Andres your just killing it sir! Interested to see how that new stack your talking about treats you. Taurus has a goodie on the way for me, so look out old PR's....
I can hazard a guess...

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
haha oh snap!! Punthra i cant wait!!

Here are some updates:

Life is stupid busy...i really dont know how I manage to finish each day. Every second is filled with something to do. This is the reason why im not as active as I would like.

But lift wise:

Thursday: Max Effort Upper
Football bar bench: 310x1...335x0...failed here

Friday: Accesory work

Saturday:Dynamic Lowe body
Went as high as 375 for my last two working sets for speed. This is a 100lbs increase in my speed work on my last 2 sets from the first time i did str8 box squats for speed 6 weeks ago. I would say that the new training is really taking my strength to a new level. Its far more consistent where I can walk in any given day and hit a certain goal.

Sunday Rest

Been doing a lot of outside work...pushing prowlers, pulling sleds, etc etc. This is leaving me extra gased and really working on my posterior chain. My glutes, hams and calves are extra burned out at the end of each lift.

Also Im doing box jumps with the 30in box. I started out with the 24 in box and now im using the 30.

As far as Stack go:
Favorite Stack to Date: 10/10

AI DAA
AI LCLT
Testopro
HGHpro
RecoverPro
Maniac

If you want to add more to that I recommend:
Fadogia
Erase
Powerfull pre-lift

Fat Loss Stack:
Adipoxil+Dexaprine+Alpha T-2= Great stack! Treated me very well. Not sure if Ill use this specific stack again. But i may. Needless to say this stack had me sweating buckets...literally. Lift days i lose 5-10 lbs of water weight per lift. Ridiculous.

New Stack:
STOKED
GLYCOBOL
RecoverPro
Anabeta
Lean Xtreme
Fat Smack

Running this stack for 8 weeks then I want to go back to my above fave stack. I really didnt wanna get off it but its about time to cycle.

In about 2 weeks I thinking about adding 3z occasionally.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Dynamic Upper Body: Str8 bench

Worked out with 235 for most of the working sets but by the last set i was at 245. Speed stayed in the proper range. Last set with 245 the first rep was slow but the last two reps where good.

Lots of ab work yesterday. Obliques, planks(2 sets at 1.5 mintes and 1 set at 2 minutes), superset leg lifts with weighted/seated crunches.

Weight:
I seem to be floating now up at 185-187. This is not post-workout weight which will be substantially lower due to the amount i sweat.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice updates and that AI stack is SICK!!!! John was nice enough to send me some samples just got them. Going to start sampling them when they fit into my nutrient timing.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice updates and that AI stack is SICK!!!! John was nice enough to send me some samples just got them. Going to start sampling them when they fit into my nutrient timing.
Yah I will be hitting a lot of those in PCT, I am already on testopro and using recoverpro, I will add DAA, and Stoked to that for sure.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks Kleen, hopefully it will continue to help me yeild more and more strength gains!

DW why dont you add in some LCLT?

Updates:

Tuesday: Max Effort Lower Body
Deadlift with reverse grey bands
600x1
615x1...hitched so it didnt count

Could have gone heavier but didnt want to get into the bad habit of hitching on heavy weight

Wednesday Off

Thursday: Max Effort
Fat Bar+yellow bands+2 board press
Bar weight not counting bands:
300x1
320x0...close but no cigar. shouldnt have made such a big jump

Abs are coming in a little better. Not a 6 pack yet but the 4 pack is there. Just a small layer of fat left to reveal the abs. Vascularity is better then its been in years. Not quite road map veins but im not smooth anymore.

Thank you for sticking around guys! More updates to come!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't order any yet.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Friday Accessory work

Saturday: Lower Body Dynamic
Box squat with Black band + Grey band pre side

Speed sets were at a bar weight of 235 for most sets(not counting bend tension). Last set I dropped to 205 to really activate the hams and emphasize sitting back on the box. After that was soem GHR and speed pulls(deadlift) at 315.

Sunday Rest

Saturday and Sunday I drastically increased calories to aid in recovery. Doesnt look like i put on much weight...more spill over and water retention. Not bad. Hitting Dynamic Upper today.

Glycobol: 4-5 caps a day
Stoked: 4-6 caps a day
RecoverPro:2-4 scoops a day
Anabeta: 4 caps
Lean Xtreme:3-4 caps a day
Fat Smack: 3 caps a day
RK: 500-625ng a day:

Diet:
2 cans Tuna
Some Tostitos chips (about 1-2 servings)
14.2 ounces of steak
2 cups strawberries
2 cups milk
2-3 scoops myofusion

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Monday: Upper Body Dynamic
Monster mini long band(the black one)
went up to 205(bar weight) and hit that for speed for the last 5 sets or so. Last time i was working with the micro mini i believe...(it was orange). So the weight stayed the same but the bands got stronger. Not bad.

Diet:
20 ounces tilapia
6 ounces brown 6ice
1/2 cup skim mozarella
1.5 cups strawberries
1.5 cups peaches
2 cups milk 2%
3 scoops myofusion

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Must be really busy, hope all is well Andres! Great lift, I had a butt load of tilapia last night too!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
keep up the good work Andres

Im taken raspberry ketones at 500 mgs per day. Do you feel like its doing anything? The animal research is interesting

there are studies showing it has anti-androgen effects ..take a look at this guys blog- its not a hoax either I looked up the studies, spent time researching it. that said, i wouldnt think they would downregulate them that much, Ive been on a couple weeks and dont notice any reduced muscle or anything

http://www.anthonyroberts.info/2010/03/raspberry-ketone-is-an-androgen-receptor-antagonist/

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
keep up the good work Andres

Im taken raspberry ketones at 500 mgs per day. Do you feel like its doing anything? The animal research is interesting

there are studies showing it has anti-androgen effects ..take a look at this guys blog- its not a hoax either I looked up the studies, spent time researching it. that said, i wouldnt think they would downregulate them that much, Ive been on a couple weeks and dont notice any reduced muscle or anything

http://www.anthonyroberts.info/2010/03/raspberry-ketone-is-an-androgen-receptor-antagonist/
I'm gaining and in a contest prep and using them...

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I highly doubt at the level at which im taking them it would down regulate androgen receptors. Raspberry Ketones have a myriad of health benefits. And in the mid 1960's i believe the FDA approved them as safe (GRAS=generally approved as safe).

Throughout this log ive been using RK and i have noticed no negative side effects especially in the areas of strength and physique. As a matter of fact both my strength and physique are reaching new heights.

I believe I have read other articles by Anthony Roberts...if this is the same individual i am thinking of then his credibilty in my eyes is shady due to a lack of comprehensive knowledge of basic and advanced scientific methods and inquiry. Many seem to hold him in high regard but I have yet to see enough for me to hold him as an authority quite yet.

"The effect of essential oils, such as raspberry ketone, on androgen (AR) receptor was investigated using a MDA-kb2 human breast cancer cell line for predicting potential AR activity." I find it odd this was used to demonstrate that in none human breast cancer cells it can be used as an androgen receptor antagonist. Not the below article"

Molecular targets of dietary agents for prevention and therapy of cancer

This article is not included in your organization's subscription. However, you may be able to access this article under your organization's agreement with Elsevier.

Bharat B. Aggarwala, , and Shishir Shishodiab

aCytokine Research Laboratory, Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Box 143, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA

bDepartment of Biology, Texas Southern University, 3100 Cleburne Street, Houston, TX 77004, USA

Available online 23 February 2006.

Abstract
While fruits and vegetables are recommended for prevention of cancer and other diseases, their active ingredients (at the molecular level) and their mechanisms of action less well understood. Extensive research during the last half century has identified various molecular targets that can potentially be used not only for the prevention of cancer but also for treatment. However, lack of success with targeted monotherapy resulting from bypass mechanisms has forced researchers to employ either combination therapy or agents that interfere with multiple cell-signaling pathways. In this review, we present evidence that numerous agents identified from fruits and vegetables can interfere with several cell-signaling pathways. The agents include curcumin (turmeric), resveratrol (red grapes, peanuts and berries), genistein (soybean), diallyl sulfide (allium), S-allyl cysteine (allium), allicin (garlic), lycopene (tomato), capsaicin (red chilli), diosgenin (fenugreek), 6-gingerol (ginger), ellagic acid (pomegranate), ursolic acid (apple, pears, prunes), silymarin (milk thistle), anethol (anise, camphor, and fennel), catechins (green tea), eugenol (cloves), indole-3-carbinol (cruciferous vegetables), limonene (citrus fruits), beta carotene (carrots), and dietary fiber. For instance, the cell-signaling pathways inhibited by curcumin alone include NF-κB, AP-1, STAT3, Akt, Bcl-2, Bcl-XL, caspases, PARP, IKK, EGFR, HER2, JNK, MAPK, COX2, and 5-LOX. The active principle identified in fruit and vegetables and the molecular targets modulated may be the basis for how these dietary agents not only prevent but also treat cancer and other diseases. This work reaffirms what Hippocrates said 25 centuries ago, let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.

So I ask you this...imn these cancer cells, is it decreasing AR becuase the extract is anti-carcinogenic and is in fact fighting the cell itself? OR is it because in non-carinogenic cells it has a similar mode of action and decreases AR?

This is something we may want to investigate further.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Tuesday: Lower Body Max
This day I revisited reverse tension band squats. This first time i hit this i got up to 405 off the box with the grey bands giving me aid at the bottom of the motion. They grey bands are quite strong(these are the average long bands) and deload a lot.

Tuesday i was using the orange bands(light long)...which do not deload nearly as much at the bottom of the motion. I got up to 455 and cleared it. And then went up to 465 and couldnt get off the box. That's a 55lb jump in 6 weeks and thats NOT counting the bands. The band strenght makes a huge difference.

Wed: off

Thursday:Max effort Upper body:
Foam Bench with chains(200lbs of chains)
Got up to 475(225+200) and cleared it. Tried 500 and missed it.

Friday: accessory

Saturday: Dynamic lower.
Got up to 255 plus the Heaver and Average bands. Maintained speed for 2 sets. 3rd set at that weight i lost speed so i had to go back down to 235. I added 2 extra sets just to make sure i was getting enough sets with proper speed, but i had to lighten the weight. It was 11 working sets not counting the warm ups.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Todays was Dynamic Upper:
Monster Mini(black long bands)
sets:
185x3 speed good
185x3 good
185x3 slow
185x3 fast
205x3 good
205x3 fast
205x3 good
215x3 good
215x3 good first 2 slow 3rd
215 fast

Then hit some medicine ball throws, incline with fat bar, pull downs, tricep push downs, rear delt wall climbs with red bands, front raises with kettle balls, obliques, and abs. One hell of a workout today.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I highly doubt at the level at which im taking them it would down regulate androgen receptors. Raspberry Ketones have a myriad of health benefits. And in the mid 1960's i believe the FDA approved them as safe (GRAS=generally approved as safe).

Throughout this log ive been using RK and i have noticed no negative side effects especially in the areas of strength and physique. As a matter of fact both my strength and physique are reaching new heights.

I believe I have read other articles by Anthony Roberts...if this is the same individual i am thinking of then his credibilty in my eyes is shady due to a lack of comprehensive knowledge of basic and advanced scientific methods and inquiry. Many seem to hold him in high regard but I have yet to see enough for me to hold him as an authority quite yet.

"The effect of essential oils, such as raspberry ketone, on androgen (AR) receptor was investigated using a MDA-kb2 human breast cancer cell line for predicting potential AR activity." I find it odd this was used to demonstrate that in none human breast cancer cells it can be used as an androgen receptor antagonist. Not the below article"

Molecular targets of dietary agents for prevention and therapy of cancer

This article is not included in your organization's subscription. However, you may be able to access this article under your organization's agreement with Elsevier.

Bharat B. Aggarwala, , and Shishir Shishodiab

aCytokine Research Laboratory, Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Box 143, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA

bDepartment of Biology, Texas Southern University, 3100 Cleburne Street, Houston, TX 77004, USA

Available online 23 February 2006.

Abstract
While fruits and vegetables are recommended for prevention of cancer and other diseases, their active ingredients (at the molecular level) and their mechanisms of action less well understood. Extensive research during the last half century has identified various molecular targets that can potentially be used not only for the prevention of cancer but also for treatment. However, lack of success with targeted monotherapy resulting from bypass mechanisms has forced researchers to employ either combination therapy or agents that interfere with multiple cell-signaling pathways. In this review, we present evidence that numerous agents identified from fruits and vegetables can interfere with several cell-signaling pathways. The agents include curcumin (turmeric), resveratrol (red grapes, peanuts and berries), genistein (soybean), diallyl sulfide (allium), S-allyl cysteine (allium), allicin (garlic), lycopene (tomato), capsaicin (red chilli), diosgenin (fenugreek), 6-gingerol (ginger), ellagic acid (pomegranate), ursolic acid (apple, pears, prunes), silymarin (milk thistle), anethol (anise, camphor, and fennel), catechins (green tea), eugenol (cloves), indole-3-carbinol (cruciferous vegetables), limonene (citrus fruits), beta carotene (carrots), and dietary fiber. For instance, the cell-signaling pathways inhibited by curcumin alone include NF-κB, AP-1, STAT3, Akt, Bcl-2, Bcl-XL, caspases, PARP, IKK, EGFR, HER2, JNK, MAPK, COX2, and 5-LOX. The active principle identified in fruit and vegetables and the molecular targets modulated may be the basis for how these dietary agents not only prevent but also treat cancer and other diseases. This work reaffirms what Hippocrates said 25 centuries ago, let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.

So I ask you this...imn these cancer cells, is it decreasing AR becuase the extract is anti-carcinogenic and is in fact fighting the cell itself? OR is it because in non-carinogenic cells it has a similar mode of action and decreases AR?

This is something we may want to investigate further.
I dont really know the guy, Heard some shady things about him, so that makes me a little stand offish, Im in no way judging the guy, he may be a good guy, however those studies he referred to are from pubmed on raspberry ketones. I am taking them and dont notice any negatives in musclegrowth

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Great workouts Andres.

RK's have been used quite a bit in many supplements and products very popular with the body building community. If it has a negative effect on androgen receptors the question is which ones? Muscular, Sexual breast tissue, in the prostate? I have never experience lower libido, lowered aggression or a decrease in strength while using them and I have used them quite a bit in my transdermals. If it does I would assume it is minuscule.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great workouts Andres.

RK's have been used quite a bit in many supplements and products very popular with the body building community. If it has a negative effect on androgen receptors the question is which ones? Muscular, Sexual breast tissue, in the prostate? I have never experience lower libido, lowered aggression or a decrease in strength while using them and I have used them quite a bit in my transdermals. If it does I would assume it is minuscule.
hopefully not at all.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Actually dont be so quick to say all androgen receptor downregulation is bad. It would be amazing if it had an isolated effect in the prostate and sexual breast tissue being that this can minimize the risk of cancer. Remember a good thing in one place may be bad in another. Testosterone and other androgen receptors are great in the muscles and testicles but they also cause prostate swelling.

The body is highly complex and one cannot always make a blind sweeping statement about something. RK is still being investigated, but its benefits are well supported and its safety is well founded. A lack of negative side effects from the community as a whole also adds validity to safety and also puts another whole in Anthony Roberts argument. I researched RK extensively before using it and that is the first negative article/post ive read. Take it with a grain of salt like everything else, its good to hear the negative b/c it makes you analyze the positive with more scrutiny.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Update on Yesterdays lift:

Max Effort Lower Body:
Zercher deadlift with harness like device??? Basically its a harness with a hook at the bottom where you deadlift without using your hands.
495x1
545x1
565x0x0....i just couldnt lock out with this weight. Would get it up but my back, glutes and hams didnt come through like they needed to.

After that hit some squats in the pit shark(weight pulling down from the hips). Went up to 450+4 mini pro yellow bands. Then hit some GHR with a 35lbs plate then a 45lbs plate.

Workout was done after that and thank god! I was fried after the crazy form of deadlift.

Bulkypinoy61

Bulkypinoy61

Awards
  • Established
I remember following one of your crazy logs over a BB.com
DAMMM man you just keep getting stronger and stronger.
Keep up the great work :D

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
As always great workout and you echoed my thoughts on the RK as well.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah you must have some strong joints and tendons. That's really the difference between bodybuilders and power lifters. I would have gone for powerlifting had I been strong enough but the core lifts demand strong joints and tendons and I only had strong muscles and my joints cannot take the pounding.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I have tiny joints, I mean tiny so power lifting wasn't much of an option for me - wrists under 7, knees 14, and narrow hips. Then again is probably more my age than anything. I never even tried powerlifting because back then they all looked like tubbies and I wasn't interested in that at all. I wanted aesthetics and strength but have never really trained below 5 reps for very long at all. Now guys who are power lifting are huge and enough of them are lean enough they don't look horrible. Take Andres for example he looks great, and is an ox in the gym.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
DW and Kleen bring up amazing points but this is what I have learned in my two months of being trained...people dont know how to lift. End of story. I didnt know how to lift. I didnt know how to squat...deadlift...or bench. Heck even my breathing mid sets was wrong!! Learning how to breathe in with my stomach and expand my core to have a larger pillar from which to transfer the power of my legs to the bar. Powerlifting is extremely techniqual and meticulous.

Technique and form is everything. True powerlifting form protects joints FAR more then a normal BB movement. It minimizes stress on the knees, elbows, shoulders, and even wrists. Yeah you will get injured b/c the iron is unforgiving...but you will get injured bodybuilding as well.

And thank you Chris...I mean I am following a diet that this really knowledgeable beast gave me. The guy is a freaking phenom. But yes you are right that now-a-days, powerlifters are getting leaner and meaner. Im talking with my coach so that I can continue to lean up and compete at a low BF. Then with time workout my way up breaking records along the way.

I'll update on my lift, but there is a picture of me hitting dynamic squats(light for speed) on the idolmakers facebook page. Also for those of you friends with me it's on my page too. I'll see if I can post it later. Dynamic work is was with 200lbs in chains.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Actually dont be so quick to say all androgen receptor downregulation is bad. It would be amazing if it had an isolated effect in the prostate and sexual breast tissue being that this can minimize the risk of cancer. Remember a good thing in one place may be bad in another. Testosterone and other androgen receptors are great in the muscles and testicles but they also cause prostate swelling.

The body is highly complex and one cannot always make a blind sweeping statement about something. RK is still being investigated, but its benefits are well supported and its safety is well founded. A lack of negative side effects from the community as a whole also adds validity to safety and also puts another whole in Anthony Roberts argument. I researched RK extensively before using it and that is the first negative article/post ive read. Take it with a grain of salt like everything else, its good to hear the negative b/c it makes you analyze the positive with more scrutiny.
cool knowledge broski

I remember following one of your crazy logs over a BB.com
DAMMM man you just keep getting stronger and stronger.
Keep up the great work :D
Crap yeah hes strong

When I was his age I had no joint issues and I was doing power type training 130 lbs tricep extensions, 130lbs preachers, 405 squat, if I could go back-I would do higher reps on arms-did low reps on arms for years and killed the joints.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
And Im back again guys. Work has been hectic. Im training my new supervisor and it's the start of a new semester so work has been flowing like a river.

Classes start up again and I will be taking physiology.

Training has been good. Making steady gains and leaning out slowly but surely. Im now floating from 180-185. 180 post training and 185 in the morning.

Monday: dynamic work with 215+80lbs in chains
Tuesday: max effort deadlift...on a platform with light bands on each side. Went to 415 but hitched. So it didnt count
Wednesday Off
Thursday: Max effort floor press with fat grip...went up to 285+bands on each side.
Friday: Accessory work
Saturday: Dynamic box squat worked with 265+200lbs of chains for a majority of my working sets. I didnt go up to 285 because i wanted to maintain a nice and fast speed.
Sunday Off

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And Im back again guys. Work has been hectic. Im training my new supervisor and it's the start of a new semester so work has been flowing like a river.

Classes start up again and I will be taking physiology.

Training has been good. Making steady gains and leaning out slowly but surely. Im now floating from 180-185. 180 post training and 185 in the morning.

Monday: dynamic work with 215+80lbs in chains
Tuesday: max effort deadlift...on a platform with light bands on each side. Went to 415 but hitched. So it didnt count
Wednesday Off
Thursday: Max effort floor press with fat grip...went up to 285+bands on each side.
Friday: Accessory work
Saturday: Dynamic box squat worked with 265+200lbs of chains for a majority of my working sets. I didnt go up to 285 because i wanted to maintain a nice and fast speed.
Sunday Off
Welcome back...

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Past two workout have been bad.

I was slow on dynamic(could have been the tendo since everyone was ready real slow)
And I bombed on max effort.

Could be my CNS is a bit fried. Started classes which is a major load on the CNS. This is no counting the added work load at work, stress at home, and doing my best to make ends meet on my diet since funds are tight. So realistically can expect a bad day or two until my CNS adapts to the added course work and studying.