Cortisol control supplements

wrench3521

Awards
I just had bloodwork done and my blood sugar levels were "slightly elevated" according to doc. I haven't actually seen the numbers yet. I did fast for 12 hours before the blood draw and he seems to think that I'm pre-diabetic (will confirm with second blood test). Being the informed or at least semi-informed meathead that I am, I started doing research on hormones that could cause a this, aside from insulin. I do have a stressful job and my eating and training is "on point" so without a blood test, that I will ask for, my guess is that my elevated cortisol levels are elevated. What are the best supplements on the market right now to help with managing cortisol?

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Invictus is really good. Has a lot of other benefits as well.

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Phosphatydilserine
This is a good option, as is a quality ashwagandha extract (like KSM-66).
What these two guys said, and any other adaptogens as well like Rhodiola and maral. Also I believe b6 helps (I know it helps with prolactin but I thought it did for cortisol as well).
Having total brain fog atm but this is what I do if you want to message me. There's always Google. May take a lil ,ore time sifting thru reputable articles of what works and what is bs but there's actually quite a lot.
Phosphatadylserine is great at the right dosages or in correct form. You can actually make a liposomal form w lecithin and phos powder in a blender pretty easily that will resemble nutricology brand which is top notch! Or just buy a small tub of their jelly and use sparingly.

Or find some cheap ashwagandha and load up on it. Definitely works and we'll, it's just getting that dosage dialed in. I do a sort pre/overload and then back off to where I start to feel crappy again and then go back up til it goes away again and stay there.

And a couple that are not often mentioned - l-theanine and gaba. These help indirectly by reducing the stress on brain and body. L-theanine and ashwagandha is pretty darn cheap and keep you sharp so I'd recommend those as you have a two pronged approach.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with the above post. Reduce XT by SNS is the first thing that comes to mind for me. I would check it out and see if its profile matching what you're looking for.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
If you take a Cortisol "reducer", I'd take it in the evening (6PM onward) so you don't mess with the Circadian rise and fall. It really is a *necessary* hormone with tons of benefits. See if your Doc can do a periodic urine test (DUTCH) to see if yours is out of range/whack. PS or the DHEA derivative probably has the most data, but I'm not really up on Ash and Rhodi in regards to Cortisol.

As far as your sugar - Go to Walmart and get a $10 ReliOn meter and strips. There is a "Dawn Effect" that raises fasting glucose, really low carb diets increase Insulin Resistance (called "Physiological IR", not Metabolic IR), and Nicotine causes IR too. Just some things to check/modify.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have been using Hydra Six Head as part of mine.

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How strong can cortisol rebound after a ph run? I did 1/4 Andro and Andro Hard for 8 weeks. PCT was Clomid and M Test. 2 weeks into PCT I gained 8lbs. I started Reduce XT and things seem to level out. My stomach became extremely bloated. Does this sound like cortisol?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
How strong can cortisol rebound after a ph run? I did 1/4 Andro and Andro Hard for 8 weeks. PCT was Clomid and M Test. 2 weeks into PCT I gained 8lbs. I started Reduce XT and things seem to level out. My stomach became extremely bloated. Does this sound like cortisol?
I’m still learning but isn’t this possibly estro rebound?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you take a Cortisol "reducer", I'd take it in the evening (6PM onward) so you don't mess with the Circadian rise and fall. It really is a *necessary* hormone with tons of benefits. See if your Doc can do a periodic urine test (DUTCH) to see if yours is out of range/whack. PS or the DHEA derivative probably has the most data, but I'm not really up on Ash and Rhodi in regards to Cortisol.

As far as your sugar - Go to Walmart and get a $10 ReliOn meter and strips. There is a "Dawn Effect" that raises fasting glucose, really low carb diets increase Insulin Resistance (called "Physiological IR", not Metabolic IR), and Nicotine causes IR too. Just some things to check/modify.
Ashwagandha is pretty well researched for its effects on lowering cortisol. Plus it also has numerous other benefits (stress, anxiety, endurance, etc), and you can get it for ~$7/month fully dosed, and that’s for capsules, not a bulk powder. PS is normally a bit more expensive. 300mg/day is probably the minimum dose I’d want, and I think a cheap normal (non-sale) price for that is like $15/month. As for timing with a natural ingredient like PS, and an adaptogen like ashwagandha, I wouldn’t worry about taking them before the evening. PS has actually been shown to have some benefits taken pre-workout if I recall, and plenty of studies on ashwagandha have used twice daily dosing, with one dose being in the morning/afternoon. If you plan on using something stronger than PS/ash, then I see what you’re saying, but I’d also perhaps argue that most people don’t really need something stronger; like you said, you don’t want to crush cortisol into the ground for no reason, but ingredients like PS and ashwagandha shouldn’t really do that, and they both have other benefits as well.

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Anyone?

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Forumtech Youth
Evomuse Abliterate
Evomuse SuperNova

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As already stated, SNS REDUCE XT is the gold standard for cortisol control. Many respected members here on AM have used it.

Also, KSM-66 has been mentioned. CEL M TEST contains fully dosed KSM along with other ingredients to boost natty test levels.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ashwagandha, there are so many benefits. Another option could be Rhodila Rosea

Although it wouldn't raise testosterone levels to where one would see significant changes, Ashwagandha would be a great option for someone needing a little boost and it also provides a host of other benefits.

If healthy people take 3-5 ashwagandha capsules every day, their muscle strength and lean body mass increase and their fat percentage decreases. In addition, taking this herb, which is used in the ayurveda tradition, reduces the chance of cardiovascular disease. Researchers at the ICMR Advanced Centre for Reverse Pharmacology in Traditional Medicine discovered this.
http://www.ergo-log.com/ashwagandha-strength-lean-body-mass-fat-percentage.html

If infertile men take three capsules containing Ashwagandha – Latin name Withania somnifera – every day for a couple of months, their testosterone level rises by 17 percent and their sperm cell concentration increases by 167 percent. Doctors at Mahalaxmi Clinic in Mumbai, India write about it in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
http://www.ergo-log.com/human-study-ashwagandha-boosts-testosterone-level.html

This study reports that ashwagandha supplementation is associated with significant increases in muscle mass and strength and suggests that ashwagandha supplementation may be useful in conjunction with a resistance training program.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4658772/

Withania somnifera may therefore be useful for generalized weakness and to improve speed and lower limb muscular strength and neuro-muscular co-ordination. Terminalia arjuna may prove useful to improve cardio-vascular endurance and lowering systolic blood pressure. Both drugs appear to be safe for young adults when given for mentioned dosage and duration.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2996571/

Ashwagandha improved the cardiorespiratory endurance of the elite athletes.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3545242/

The percentage of fat declined in both groups, but the ashwagandha users lost more than the members of the placebo group. The researchers used the bioelectrical impedance method to measure the fat percentage. [We have our doubts about the reliability of this method, as we also do about the method the researchers used to measure muscle mass.]
http://ergo-log.com/daily-600-mg-ashwagandha-helps-resistance-trainers-build-more-muscle-and-lose-more-fat.html

The treatment group that was given the high-concentration full-spectrum Ashwagandha root extract exhibited a significant reduction (P<0.0001) in scores on all the stress-assessment scales on Day 60, relative to the placebo group. The serum cortisol levels were substantially reduced (P=0.0006) in the Ashwagandha group, relative to the placebo group. The adverse effects were mild in nature and were comparable in both the groups. No serious adverse events were reported.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3573577/

The results seen here are likely due to a variety of effects of ashwagandha, but its adaptogenic properties probably played a major role in its ability to increase speed and strength. Ashwagandha has many beneficial effects that make it worthwhile for athletes to supplement with, and the direct ergogenic benefits shown here make it an even more valuble addition to the supplement plan of any athlete
http://mindandmuscle.net/articles/ashwagandha-2/

There is a reason why companies are putting this in their supplements (AlphaMax XT and M-Test). And you have the option of adding it into your stack for a very cheap price. Look for the Jarrow brand Ashwagandha. Again, it will not boost your testosterone levels to abnormal heights, but it will aid in boosting your levels, aid in improving performance, and reduce stress/cortisol levels.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not much in itself its just the fact that many people will start using stims in pct which raises cortisol;)

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have some ordered, 100mg of PS per cap. Would 2 caps be a good dose?
I haven't been taking it very long but 200 mg has been working great for me. Only issues are very detailed nightmares and often have a headache when waking up.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
I just had bloodwork done and my blood sugar levels were "slightly elevated" according to doc. I haven't actually seen the numbers yet. I did fast for 12 hours before the blood draw and he seems to think that I'm pre-diabetic (will confirm with second blood test). Being the informed or at least semi-informed meathead that I am, I started doing research on hormones that could cause a this, aside from insulin. I do have a stressful job and my eating and training is "on point" so without a blood test, that I will ask for, my guess is that my elevated cortisol levels are elevated. What are the best supplements on the market right now to help with managing cortisol?

If you are following a hypercaloric, hyperglucidal diet, the problem of high cortisol ceases to exist.
So I would think of something else.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You have a good list of options above and I would add Evomuse Ammo if you can find any, which is very potent and most people never seem to mention it. It is an awesome cortisol product, and IMO it competes with some not-100%-natural options.

But...before jumping to cortisol issues and just recommending products, how about some questions:

How much do you weigh? How tall are You? How old?

Did you have the test in the morning? How long before you went to sleep did you eat?

How do you sleep? Any other drugs (prescriptions or not) or supplements that you use? Are you a big user of atoms?

Did you have any coffee before the Blood test?