College Student, how does this meal plan look?

halberdklown

Awards
Im a college student, currently have a full workload during summer session in order to graduate early, so at any rate, its like it would be during the normal school year. This is about the only foods i can get a hold on in a consistent basis. Im looking to gain some muscle.

im 180lbs, 5'10", workout 5 days a week,rest on the weekends. i recently was working out for the past 6 months, and gained a great deal of strength, but not much size. im hoping to use this strength now to gain some size, i did it before eating anything really, but now im hoping to stick to this here. any thoughts suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thank you

Ingredients (most of the fats come from the inclusion of Omega 3's in some of the ingredients):

whey:
1 serving: 120 cal, 1g fat, 3g carb, 24g protein

vegies:
1 bag: 160 cal, 6g fat, 16 carbs, 4g protein

peanut butter:
1 serving = 2 tbsps
200 cal, 18g fat, 6 carbs, 7g protein

egg whites:
1/4 cup: 30 cal, 0g fat, 1 carb, 6g protein

skim milk:
1 cup: 90 cal, 0g fat, 13 carbs, 9g protein

oatmeal:
1/2cup: 150 cal, 3g fat, 27 carb, 5g protein

pasta:
1 cup: 370 cal, 3g fat, 67 carb, 17g protein

meal 1:

pancakes:
1/2 cup egg white 60 cal, 0g fat, 2 carb, 18g protein
1/2 cup milk 45cal, 0g fat, 6.5 carbs, 4.5 protein
1 cup oatmeal 300 cal, 6g fat, 52 carb, 10g protein
1 serving whey (trader joes) 100 cal, 4 carb, 1g fat, 23g protein,

total: 505 cal, 7g fat, 64.5 carbs, 55.5g protein

meal 2:

shake:
1 cup milk 90 cal, 0g fat, 13 carb, 9g protein
1/2 cup oatmeal 150 cal, 3g fat, 27 carb, 5 protein
2 tbsp peanut butter 200 cal, 18g fat, 6 carb, 7g protein
1 serving whey: 120 cal, 1g fat, 3 carb, 24g protein

total: 560 cal, 22g fat, 49 carb, 45g protein

preworkout:

1 protein shake w/ water: 120 cal, 1g fat, 3 carb, 24g protein

postworkout:

protein shake w/ dextrose:
protein: 240 cal, 2g fat, 6 carb, 48g protein
dextrose: 150 cal, 38 carb

total: 390 cal, 2g fat, 44 carb, 48g protein

meal 3:
1 chicken breast: 210 cal, 5g fat, 0 carb, 41g protein
1 cup pasta: 370 cal, 3g fat, 67 carb, 17g protein

total: 580 cal, 8g fat, 67 carb, 58g protein

Meal 4:
4 eggs scrambled w/ pasta:

total:650 cal, 21g fat, 67carb, 41g protein

Meal 5:
2 cups of milk and 2tbsps of PB

total: 380 cal, 18g fat, 32 carb, 25 protein

daily total:
cal: 3185 fat: 79g carb: 326.5 protein: 296g

I was hoping to add Jack3d or superpump 250 to this before workouts and a creatine but i cant find a good one, if this seems good please let me know!

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
im in a hurry but noticed your Peanut Butter, what type? By the nutrional info, I suppose JIF or some $hit. Go by a Wal-Mart and get Naturally More, less fat, less carbs, more fiber, more protein

halberdklown

Awards
ah my peanut butter is called Smart Balance, looked like the best one i could find, 1000mg omega 3's, everything else i listed. wouldnt more carbs be ideal, though?

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
yea Smart Balance is good, but Naturally More is the best

what would you rather have?
-a nice car everyone likes and looks good but breaks down and gives you headaches? or a P.O.S. but its the fastest, baddest car on the road that everyone is scared of???

DenDestroys

Awards
Is the milk and peanut butter right before bed? I would avoid consuming those carbs right before bed, and maybe substitute a protein shake with water, or else cottage cheese with the peanut butter.

halberdklown

Awards
^ oh i always figured that would be the best time to have that, any particular reason why?

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
Definitley drop the night-time carbs, but otherwise looks good. Other than diet though, you said you workout mon-fri and take the weekends off; if your lifting for all those days I would drop wed out and make it a rest or maybe light cardio day; if your really pushing yourself in the gym Mon-Fri your probably over training.

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
^ oh i always figured that would be the best time to have that, any particular reason why?
Because your generally less active at night, and especially before bed, the carbs never get a chance to be used as energy; also milk has a pretty high amount of sugar, also not great for immediatly before bed. Just as a general rule I usually shoot to stop eating carbs around 6PM

halberdklown

Awards
ah thank you very much for that tidbit of information! but i dont think im over training, i just do
mon: chest tri,
tues: some light ab work
wed: back biceps,
thur: shoulders traps
friday:legs

i will def. avoid those carbs before bed, but the only reason i added it was because i noticed that i feel short on carbs otherwise, would you happen to have some food that can help make up for the carbs calories and protein i get from that for earlier?

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
if you're very experienced i would give dc training a try, it is a little difficult at first, but there is tons of info on this board about it these days because it has become insanely popular. also it is good for college students IMO, which im about to start college so we shall see, because it is a 3 day split... and it works. just some food for thought

halberdklown

Awards
thanks for the idea, but unfortunately ive only been lifting for 6 months, dont feel quite up to that challenge yet! if anyone could recommend a good creatine to take along with Jack3d and a good carb/calorie source i can have during the day please let me know!

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
as far as a creatine, i would try green magnitude or neovar recomped, they are both good products at an affordable price, and the neovar has a nutrient repartitioner in it which is always beneficial IMO

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
where are you reading "creatine+creatine"?

halberdklown

Awards
green mag looks great but it was generally made as a preworkout creatine i see, anything thats better for post workout? i think it might be too much taking jack3d and a creatine both post workout

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
green mag isnt for pre workout..... idk where you got that... and jacked doesnt have that much creatine i dont believe, also some people run up to 15 grams a day of creatine

halberdklown

Awards
I was reading the review by renegaderows and he said it was made for pre workout but it was ok as a post, but your right, looks like ill be taking jack3d and green mag! thanks for your help!

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
im in a hurry but noticed your Peanut Butter, what type? By the nutrional info, I suppose JIF or some $hit. Go by a Wal-Mart and get Naturally More, less fat, less carbs, more fiber, more protein
Organic almond butter.
Far less sodium.
Taste great also.

May not be affordable on a 'college' budget though.

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
it doesnt have enough creatine in it IMO, but thats just me, i take jacked and neovar right now, and if you just took jacked you wouldnt keep your creatine levels constant due to only taking it on workout days....

good luck with the green mag btw, you'll love the flavor, it is amazing.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
IMO controlled labs is one of the best brands...next to gaspari

halberdklown

Awards
so what, youd recommend something like sizeon over those mentioned?

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
never tried sizeon...plazma jet, halodrol liquid gels, superpump 250, and novedex xt are all great products though. for creatine I use AST Microfiltered Mono