Chronic tendonitis/tendonisis in forearm

mrspock

Awards
Glipp - Small world, the tendonosis information you posted is from Dr. David Ryan. I have emailed him to ask some questions as his protocal leaves too much to the imagination....such as specifics like how much each day and when to move to a heavier weight, etc. I found his explanations to be vague at best and he doesn't seem to want to answer emails....nice guy.

I've got tendonosis and some tearing of my left long biceps tendon originating in the bicipital anchor and extending out over the top of my shoulder. It's been that way since I had a labral repair in 2005....just has gotten worse. Not doing anything hurts, doing conservative things makes it feel better. Lord knows how I miss lifting like I used to do.

Anyway, I have interpreted Ryan's advice to warm up slowly with a very light band for 30reps or so. Then I do the same weight very fast for 60, 45 and 30 seconds. That's all I do each day....just started it. I think it's helping a bit.
Only alternatives are letting a surgeon go in there and cut the tendon to reattach it somewhere else......I'm 55 now and really don't want surgery. The other alternative is very interesting if you have $7000......stem cell and Rich Platelet Therapy (PRP). This is supposed to create a like new tendon from an injured one. They use your own adult stem cells, needle in and needle out. No surgery.

Check out regennex.com, they are in CO. Also Dr. Nathan Wei Maryland and Dr. David Crane of St. Louis, MO. They do a similar procedure, but I think Regennex does the best and most complete. The doctor is Chris Centeno.

If any of you guys have any other advice, I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

lucky

Awards
up your test dosage to 200 mg if you are on TRT and it will be gone within 8 weeks. That is the only thing that has ever worked for me and I have a PT in my family that tried everything!

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
Ice that bad boy after each workout. Not for a few minutes---I mean try a couple of hours. Also try your favorite NSAID. I had the same problem and ice works.

Gamesman

Awards
I'm also 41 and am going thru the same problem. Tried working thru it, working around it, doing lighter lifting. Finally I decided to just stop lifting. It has been 2 months of no lifting and I am finally pain free, going to ease back ito things next week. I found a huge trigger point in my tricep and after working on that for a while pain went away.

also I would recommend looking at things besides lifting that may be causing issues for example computer usage, keyboard, mouse etc.
Good luck.

Pirate!

Pirate!

Awards
  • Established
Without reading this whole thread, I want to comment that iceing more than 20 minutes at a time is PRO-inflammatory. Also, large doses of Cissus (particularlly USP) have helped myself and a few personal friends overcome chronic bursitis.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm also 41 and am going thru the same problem. Tried working thru it, working around it, doing lighter lifting. Finally I decided to just stop lifting. It has been 2 months of no lifting and I am finally pain free, going to ease back ito things next week. I found a huge trigger point in my tricep and after working on that for a while pain went away.

also I would recommend looking at things besides lifting that may be causing issues for example computer usage, keyboard, mouse etc.
Good luck.
I'm 41 and I just live with the pain at this point...

b9cist

b9cist

Awards
I've been reading your thread with intrest as I have developed a similar pain in my left forearm. Everything I've read points to tendonosis. I took time off - didn't help, tried avoiding exercises that hurt it to much - didn't work, using straps for all pulling lifts - didn't work. Got some bulk cissus from NP and after 3 weeks, pain was sti there. This week I decided to slowly stRt exercising the muscle with a very light weight. I take a 5 lb plate and grip it with my middle and ring finger through the center hole and do a reverse curl with it. As i curl it up I roll my wrist up, flexing the forearm muscle. In between the three sets if 10 that I aak doing, I stretch the muscle. After one week the pain has begun to ease off.bgoing to keep doing this in hopesof solving this problem.

vfsm

Awards
I am 41 and have been dealing w/ chronic tendonitis/tendonisis in my forearms (mostly the r. one) for the past 8 months. It kept me out of the gym for about 6 months while I did P/T, Active Release Therapy, took Bulk Cissus, Celadrin, stretching, failed attempt at getting Oratropin, etc. Now I am back in the gym and it seems to be acting up again. I have made adjustments in my training ie: form, grip, exercises, etc. I have thought of many possible causes (ie: age and have to deal with it, test too low or hormonal imbalance?, wrong style training (5x5 too heavy a load) maybe I should be doing HST for example with less volume. Can't figure it out though. Anyone else dealing with this problem found an effective way to deal with it? I don't want to be out of the gym again. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I am also dealing with tendonitis in my elbows, left one much worse. It's been an issue for over a year and I have recently had surgery. I got into a bad habit of too few reps. I am 44 years old and simply want to get back to a regular workout routine after being sidelined for over a year and to be able to go back to normal daily activities without pain. If the surgery does not cure this, I am seriously thinking about a short period of HRT to increase collagen production. I understand that Equipoise is effective. But I have no background or experience in using anabolics. If anyone can offer suggestions, it would be appreciated.

DeKay

Awards
I registered on this board just to post this in the hopes that it will help others get past this painful condition. Myself, I couldn't grip my water bottle without it hurting. I dropped any exercises that could aggravate them: pullups, rows, deadlifts, etc. The rest helped, but the problem seemed to flare up anytime I tried to get back into the heavy stuff. Both elbows hurt bad.

Then I tripped over Thera-Band Flexbars and my condition has improved significantly in a few months. There is some good research behind the therapy to back it up. I can't post links, so you'll have to google for "thera band flexbars tennis elbow" and go from there. You should easily find video of the therapy in action, the protocol, etc.

I bought all three bars. Started with the red (easiest) one and it hurt a lot to start. But after a week or two, the improvement was very noticeable. Then I stepped up to the green one (medium) and my improvement continued. Now I bounce between it and the blue one (stiffest). My right elbow is pretty much pain free now. The left one is coming along slower but I'm confident I'll get there. In the meantime I'm back doing many of the exercises I had to stop. I strongly suggest anybody trying these buy all three. They are cheap.

The theory is that the slow eccentric in the therapy rehabs the tendon and makes it stronger. Tendons heal slowly, so don't expect to be cured overnight. Therapies with a similar concept have been applied to aggravated Achilles tendons in runners as well.

I've also found:
a) neoprene elbow sleeves help somewhat. But leave them on all day and they aggravate more than they help. I now wear a lot of long sleeve shirts, and slide them up near my elbow only when I feel I need the extra support.
b) deadlifts were a killer, even with straps. The intense grip required caused nasty flareups. I just got a pair of deadlifting hooks the other day. My deadlift improved immediately with no flareup. Call me a wimp for using them. I don't care. The net benefit is a big win.
c) Ice never helped. Ibu never helped. The hammer thing aggravated it more than it helped. Massage helped some. Rest helped.

In case it matters, I'm 44 and have no financial interest in this company. Give them a try: you have very little to lose.

glipp

glipp

Awards
I registered on this board just to post this in the hopes that it will help others get past this painful condition. Myself, I couldn't grip my water bottle without it hurting. I dropped any exercises that could aggravate them: pullups, rows, deadlifts, etc. The rest helped, but the problem seemed to flare up anytime I tried to get back into the heavy stuff. Both elbows hurt bad.

Then I tripped over Thera-Band Flexbars and my condition has improved significantly in a few months. There is some good research behind the therapy to back it up. I can't post links, so you'll have to google for "thera band flexbars tennis elbow" and go from there. You should easily find video of the therapy in action, the protocol, etc.

I bought all three bars. Started with the red (easiest) one and it hurt a lot to start. But after a week or two, the improvement was very noticeable. Then I stepped up to the green one (medium) and my improvement continued. Now I bounce between it and the blue one (stiffest). My right elbow is pretty much pain free now. The left one is coming along slower but I'm confident I'll get there. In the meantime I'm back doing many of the exercises I had to stop. I strongly suggest anybody trying these buy all three. They are cheap.

The theory is that the slow eccentric in the therapy rehabs the tendon and makes it stronger. Tendons heal slowly, so don't expect to be cured overnight. Therapies with a similar concept have been applied to aggravated Achilles tendons in runners as well.

I've also found:
a) neoprene elbow sleeves help somewhat. But leave them on all day and they aggravate more than they help. I now wear a lot of long sleeve shirts, and slide them up near my elbow only when I feel I need the extra support.
b) deadlifts were a killer, even with straps. The intense grip required caused nasty flareups. I just got a pair of deadlifting hooks the other day. My deadlift improved immediately with no flareup. Call me a wimp for using them. I don't care. The net benefit is a big win.
c) Ice never helped. Ibu never helped. The hammer thing aggravated it more than it helped. Massage helped some. Rest helped.

In case it matters, I'm 44 and have no financial interest in this company. Give them a try: you have very little to lose.
I am curious about these. Has anyone else heard of them or used them?

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
I've been reading your thread with intrest as I have developed a similar pain in my left forearm. Everything I've read points to tendonosis. I took time off - didn't help, tried avoiding exercises that hurt it to much - didn't work, using straps for all pulling lifts - didn't work. Got some bulk cissus from NP and after 3 weeks, pain was sti there. This week I decided to slowly stRt exercising the muscle with a very light weight. I take a 5 lb plate and grip it with my middle and ring finger through the center hole and do a reverse curl with it. As i curl it up I roll my wrist up, flexing the forearm muscle. In between the three sets if 10 that I aak doing, I stretch the muscle. After one week the pain has begun to ease off.bgoing to keep doing this in hopesof solving this problem.
b9,

I have started wondering if glycation isn't a factor in some tendonitis and tendonosis. If it is, then megadosing something like NA-RALA (with a lot of biotin), along with lots of ubiquinol and much gamma E, may start to turn it around. I have a chronic left ankle tendon for 4 years now, and I'm going to try this.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
b9,

I have started wondering if glycation isn't a factor in some tendonitis and tendonosis. If it is, then megadosing something like NA-RALA (with a lot of biotin), along with lots of ubiquinol and much gamma E, may start to tun it around. I have a chonic left ankle tendon for 4 years now, and I'm going to try this.
keep us updated.

my arm still acts up if I do certain exercises so i have to really be selective in what I do.

to you younger or in experienced guys I think I messed by inner elbow(golfers side) up from doing biceps and tricep exercises(like preacher bench and tricep extension like movements with a re range of 4-6 reps for years)

a person may be able to get away with it on other exercises but vary the rep ranges. I trained for in that rep range way to long.

b9cist

b9cist

Awards
If that works, please let us know.

b9,

I have started wondering if glycation isn't a factor in some tendonitis and tendonosis. If it is, then megadosing something like NA-RALA (with a lot of biotin), along with lots of ubiquinol and much gamma E, may start to turn it around. I have a chronic left ankle tendon for 4 years now, and I'm going to try this.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
Smeton and b9,

I also ordered P-5-P a B6 coenzyme, as this is said to be one of the best anti-glycation supplements. I've the bulk NA-RALA and some 750 mg caps of gamma-E on the way -- be here in 3-4 days. I may do a log on this for 30-45 days and I'll explain my logic as to why I think glycation is a important factor in chronic, long term tendon problems at that point.

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
Little update on my progress....

My pain that I dealt with for years in my right arm is completely gone. But now for whatever reason my left arm has acted up and I now have the same pain in it that I used to have in the right. I immediately stopped working out and I just happened to be lucky enough to have a doctor that prescribes GHRP-6.

I've been on it for probably close to a month now and the pain is subsiding...probably would help if I laid off the weights...but none the less it is it getting better.

I have found for whatever reason that doing lat pull downs seems to mess with it...it's the only "pull" exercise that does. And sometimes dumbell shoulder presses. So I'm guessing there's something mechanical in nature that when your arm is extended over your head it pulls more. Which sucks cause I love doing pulldowns.

Best of luck to everyone with the problem. I can't wait to someday not have to worry every workout about hurting myself.

b9cist

b9cist

Awards
I have finally eliminated the pain in my forearm! I did this by using straps on all my lifts that required me to pull to prevent more straining. At the same time I took a 5 lb plate and perfomed a reverse curl with it. As I was curling the weight, I would flex my forearm by curling the wrist up, sort of like a combo reverse curl and reverse writst curl. I did this exercise for 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps each time I worked out. After a little over two months, the pain is gone.
Cissus didn;t work for my forearm pain, massaging it didn't work either. Even time off from the gym didn't help. Lightly exercising the muscle did the trick.
I still use straps on my heavy lifts to prevent reinjury, but have now started to do some of the exercises again that I had to previously avoid due to the pain, such as shoulder lateral raises and dumbell curls.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have finally eliminated the pain in my forearm! I did this by using straps on all my lifts that required me to pull to prevent more straining. At the same time I took a 5 lb plate and perfomed a reverse curl with it. As I was curling the weight, I would flex my forearm by curling the wrist up, sort of like a combo reverse curl and reverse writst curl. I did this exercise for 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps each time I worked out. After a little over two months, the pain is gone.
Cissus didn;t work for my forearm pain, massaging it didn't work either. Even time off from the gym didn't help. Lightly exercising the muscle did the trick.
I still use straps on my heavy lifts to prevent reinjury, but have now started to do some of the exercises again that I had to previously avoid due to the pain, such as shoulder lateral raises and dumbell curls.
good to hear. yeah I find as well that straps help relieve the pain associated with gripping hard. also lightly exercising. Something I got from Branch warren that helps on any pressing day is doing light triceps cable extensions with a rope to warm up the elbows

my form lifting technique is changed forever because of my injury but I needed to be using good form to begin with. I was worried about my ego how much weight I could lift and sure it got my big and it hurt my joints. Form/technique comes first and I have notice better muscle stimulation training with good form which equals better muscle gains