Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
do you guys have a favorite charity?

my wife and i regularly give to our Church, St Judes Childrens Hospital, Shriners and local Humane Society---those are the big 4...we do have other causes like cooking and delivering food for elderly people we know on fixed incomes who are really struggling, but the 4 listed above are where the bulk of our charity giving goes.

we are very grateful and feel blessed to be able to give--GOD has blessed us.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
no one else gives to charity? :unsure:

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
We give to church, als foundation, and the Semper Fi fund.
I also participate in our church men's club, which does a lot of cooking for the church and associated school.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
We give to church, als foundation, and the Semper Fi fund.
I also participate in our church men's club, which does a lot of cooking for the church and associated school.
good for you, i do some legion volunteer work at roudebush veterans hospital in indy-but that is mainly time other than donating some canteen books during holidays.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I donate through an organization called Kiva. It's a micro lending site which helps people around the world start up business.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I dont have a charity .. but every saturday visit the homeless shelter here in western NY and bring donuts/juice.

i used to volunteer at big brother program for kids w/ incarcinated parents, maybe in summer will start some activity again.

and agree those who have stuff should be blessed .. i do believe in give and you will be rewarded wether its just someone's blessings will go along way.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
thats it, no one else on here donates to charity? :eek:

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hehe my point is I'll never pay them off, so I'll never have much to give to charity
my point is that my truck loan along with your student loan were taken on willingly....unlike those poor kids with awful illnesses.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
my point is that my truck loan along with your student loan were taken on willingly....unlike those poor kids with awful illnesses.
if the amount I donate could actually make a difference I would. I'd be better off helping individuals rather than paying a small amount of money into a pool where millions seem to not even make a difference

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
if the amount I donate could actually make a difference I would. I'd be better off helping individuals rather than paying a small amount of money into a pool where millions seem to not even make a difference
imagine if everyone had that attitude....google how many children are helped by St Jude Childrens Hospital or the Shriners or catholic charities.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
St Jude's & American Cancer Society are the two I regularly donate to. If you have the means to donate, that's great. If you don't, that's OK too. And FWIW, if you don't know you can tie a contribution to your Amazon account by going through smile.amazon.com so that every purchase you make contributes to a charity of your choice. Easy way to contribute without feeling the sting in your wallet since it's all paid through Amazon.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
St Jude's & American Cancer Society are the two I regularly donate to. If you have the means to donate, that's great. If you don't, that's OK too. And FWIW, if you don't know you can tie a contribution to your Amazon account by going through smile.amazon.com so that every purchase you make contributes to a charity of your choice. Easy way to contribute without feeling the sting in your wallet since it's all paid through Amazon.
St Judes is our favorite charity--thank you!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
can't think of a better thing to donate to than sick children!!!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My oldest Daughter has MS so The MS Society is the charity of choice for my wife and I. My youngest Daughter is a missionary to the Ukraine, so we help support her mission trips. I also like to support different causes that strike me at different times, like the last one was Steve from SNS.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
can't think of a better thing to donate to than sick children!!!
This^
But I help with local charities. Especially when someone has a child that needs a surgery or expensive medical stuff.

I refuse to donate to any main stream charities after all the scam stuff I've seen over the years.

I use to donate to a certain foundation but one day I was at the movies with my kids and in the middle of the previews they turned the lights on and had ppl walking around asking you to donate in the movie theater and that really rubbed me the wrong way and I no longer will donate to that charity

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This^
But I help with local charities. Especially when someone has a child that needs a surgery or expensive medical stuff.

I refuse to donate to any main stream charities after all the scam stuff I've seen over the years.

I use to donate to a certain foundation but one day I was at the movies with my kids and in the middle of the previews they turned the lights on and had ppl walking around asking you to donate in the movie theater and that really rubbed me the wrong way and I no longer will donate to that charity
These people should be in jail! We have a well know local charity, the administer take a 1 million dollar a year salary !!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
These people should be in jail! We have a well know local charity, the administer take a 1 million dollar a year salary !!
Yep I believe it. The priest at St.Marys church down the street from my house drives a brand new Cadillac Escalade, the base model for those is 80k

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yep I believe it. The priest at St.Marys church down the street from my house drives a brand new Cadillac Escalade, the base model for those is 80k

I'll bet he lives in a house owed by the church that he pays ZERO for.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'll bet he lives in a house owed by the church that he pays ZERO for.
I believe you're correct, I went to St Mary's school as a child and I'm pretty sure that the priest always lived in the house right next door to the church which was also owned by the church and the school.

I don't want anyone to think I'm demonizing religion or churches, I'm absolutely not. My only point is that I've realized a lot of these charities are not really charities, I mean they are because a lot of the money does go to a good cause but a lot of the money also lines too many different people's pockets. If I'm going to donate money for a good cause I want my money to go solely to the cause that I'm donating it for.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Random acts of kindness is a great way to help someone out also, and cost nothing !!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I believe you're correct, I went to St Mary's school as a child and I'm pretty sure that the priest always lived in the house right next door to the church which was also owned by the church and the school.

I don't want anyone to think I'm demonizing religion or churches, I'm absolutely not. My only point is that I've realized a lot of these charities are not really charities, I mean they are because a lot of the money does go to a good cause but a lot of the money also lines too many different people's pockets. If I'm going to donate money for a good cause I want my money to go solely to the cause that I'm donating it for.
i'm not catholic but i see the many people in my area that catholic charities has helped...my church is involved in cooking and delivering meals to many seniors that can't afford food and are shut in by disabilities-volunteers also drive many elderly and disabled to appts and shopping trips..i personally know of many members of my church who take food to family members after one of their loved ones has passed.....i happily and voluntarily give my donation to my church in money and also time.

i think many people who are critical of the church are not members of a church?

if you want to be critical of anything i suggest the government who TAKES your money without you having any say in where it goes.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
i'm not catholic but i see the many people in my area that catholic charities has helped...my church is involved in cooking and delivering meals to many seniors that can't afford food and are shut in by disabilities-volunteers also drive many elderly and disabled to appts and shopping trips..i personally know of many members of my church who take food to family members after one of their loved ones has passed.....i happily and voluntarily give my donation to my church in money and also time.

i think many people who are critical of the church are not members of a church?

if you want to be critical of anything i suggest the government who TAKES your money without you having any say in where it goes.
My entire family is Catholic, I went to catholic school untill the 5th grade. My father still goes to Catholic church every Sunday, my godfather is a catechism teacher. My family is very involved with the church, but it's because of how involved they are with the church that makes me judge them.

I never said the church doesn't do good things. But I find it funny that the priest can afford to drive a $80,000 doller car don't you?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I was also a alter boy for 6 years, was a singer in the choir until I went into middle school and our restaurant still donates food to the church events, one of the retired priest is very close family friend and has done the funeral service for pretty much any member of my family who's died in the last 15 years...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My entire family is Catholic, I went to catholic school untill the 5th grade. My father still goes to Catholic church every Sunday, my godfather is a catechism teacher. My family is very involved with the church, but it's because of how involved they are with the church that makes me judge them.

I never said the church doesn't do good things. But I find it funny that the priest can afford to drive a $80,000 doller car don't you?
like i said i am not catholic...but the catholic church is a very large organisation--i've been to vatican city and St Peter's basilica so i know 1st hand the opulence....

if i were to ask the many people i personally know who have been helped by the catholic charities if they care what kind of car the priest drives i wonder what they would say?

it's just like cops, it would be stupid to say do away with all cops because of the acts of a very few-eh?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
like i said i am not catholic...but the catholic church is a very large organisation--i've been to vatican city and St Peter's basilica so i know 1st hand the opulence....

if i were to ask the many people i personally know who have been helped by the catholic charities if they care what kind of car the priest drives i wonder what they would say?

it's just like cops, it would be stupid to say do away with all cops because of the acts of a very few-eh?
Your completely twisting my words, I never said the church is bad, I never said they don't help ppl and me and my entire family help with church related functions. I have helped with events and my families restaurants regular donate food.

But I find it funny that the priest can afford to drive a $80,000 car. I know that I make about $65k a year and my girlfriend make $45, together that's over $100k per year and there's no way we could afford a $80k car. So the priest has to be making well over 100k per year. And that's completely fine. But I will not be donating my hard earned money in this situation. I will still donate food and help in other ways like I already stated I do. But I'm absolutely without a doubt not donating cash. Unless I'm handing it directly to the person who needs.

You don't have to hand money over to donate, there's other ways to help and that's what I do.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
When you get a chance Google what the Pope's net worth is. I guarantee you you'll be surprised

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Your completely twisting my words, I never said the church is bad, I never said they don't help ppl and me and my entire family help with church related functions. I have helped with events and my families restaurants regular donate food.

But I find it funny that the priest can afford to drive a $80,000 car. I know that I make about $65k a year and my girlfriend make $45, together that's over $100k per year and there's no way we could afford a $80k car. So the priest has to be making well over 100k per year. And that's completely fine. But I will not be donating my hard earned money in this situation. I will still donate food and help in other ways like I already stated I do. But I'm absolutely without a doubt not donating cash. Unless I'm handing it directly to the person who needs.

You don't have to hand money over to donate, there's other ways to help and that's what I do.
my intention was not to twist your words...there are so many people these days who bash the church that my defenses might have have gone hyper-mode. i have no illusion that there are people in the church who fall prey to temptation, and you are right charity is voluntary and if people don't want to give then i say don't give, no one is making you.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
my intention was not to twist your words...there are so many people these days who bash the church that my defenses might have have gone hyper-mode. i have no illusion that there are people in the church who fall prey to temptation, and you are right charity is voluntary and if people don't want to give then i say don't give, no one is making you.
But I'm not bashing the church, I have repeatedly said that the church does good things and I mentioned several times that me and my entire family donate to the church. All I'm saying is I choose to donate food and my time.

Every year my family does a event at fort Trumbull in New London CT to celebrate the feast of the assumption. We find the entire event, we pay for the entertainment, we donate and cook the food.

I'm just not personally handing out my money directly to the church.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
When you get a chance Google what the Pope's net worth is. I guarantee you you'll be surprised

there are 1.2 BILLION catholics in the world

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It's not just my family, there's 5 or 6 families that do it. But my cousin's restaurant donates all the food, we set up all the chairs and tents, we cook and all the money made that day on the event goes to the church

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
But I'm not bashing the church, I have repeatedly said that the church does good things and I mentioned several times that me and my entire family donate to the church. All I'm saying is I choose to donate food and my time.

Every year my family does a event at fort Trumbull in New London CT to celebrate the feast of the assumption. We find the entire event, we pay for the entertainment, we donate and cook the food.

I'm just not personally handing out my money directly to the church.

i give money & time to my church, but our main charity is St Judes childrens hospital..we also donate to local humane society and various other local causes...my wife and i feel blessed to be able to give back--GOD has truly blessed us.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Tunnel to Towers Foundation

Pat Tillman Foundation

These are my two go-to's
very worthy causes, my wife and i support vet owned busineses

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
i give money & time to my church, but our main charity is St Judes childrens hospital..we also donate to local humane society and various other local causes...my wife and i feel blessed to be able to give back--GOD has truly blessed us.
When I was a kid I volunteered at the humane society 1 year because I really like animals and I thought it would be cool and fun and it was rewarding but it also made me realize how bad people are. People would just dump off pets they didn't want, it made me really depressed and I stopped after a couple months. I wanted to take all the animals home with me

I like animals way better then people, my pets are my family members. I don't know how someone drops off a cat or dog they had for years because they don't want it. That's like dropping off your child at a orphanage and I'm 100% convinced the animals know that there being abandoned

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
When I was a kid I volunteered at the humane society 1 year because I really like animals and I thought it would be cool and fun and it was rewarding but it also made me realize how bad people are. People would just dump off pets they didn't want, it made me really depressed and I stopped after a couple months. I wanted to take all the animals home with me

I like animals way better then people, my pets are my family members. I don't know how someone drops off a cat or dog they had for years because they don't want it. That's like dropping off your child at a orphanage and I'm 100% convinced the animals know that there being abandoned
of course the animals know they are being abandoned....don't get me started on pets, along with children they are very dear to me and have a special place in my heart....just like churches many people have stories about how bad humane societies are, but from my personal experiences the world is a better place with both....the humane society here is very well supported by the community--without the humane society i'm convinced many who for whatever reason can't keep pet would take it out in the woods and shoot it in the head.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
of course the animals know they are being abandoned....don't get me started on pets, along with children they are very dear to me and have a special place in my heart....just like churches many people have stories about how bad humane societies are, but from my personal experiences the world is a better place with both....the humane society here is very well supported by the community--without the humane society i'm convinced many who for whatever reason can't keep pet would take it out in the woods and shoot it in the head.
I don't think most ppl would have the balls to shoot it, they just tie it up somewhere and walk away.

I actually took this little guy away from someone who wasn't taking care of him. He was about 8 weeks old when I found him, filthy and had ear mites and was malnourished.

IMG_20220403_160108373~2.jpg

Turns out he belonged to someone a few house down from me. They decide to go looking for him about 2 months after I found him. Turns out there was 3 kitten, the first one they let out and he didn't come back. The second one I found and the third they gave away. Then after a while they decided they wanted another one so they went looking for the ones who they lost months earlier.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I was like **** you. If you want him back first your gonna pay me the 1000 I spent on vet bills and after that were still going to court. The guy never came back to my house and like 3 weeks later he moved out of the state

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Sorry I'm way off topic
so what, it's my thread and it makes me feel good to hear stories that start out horrible but have happy endings, good on you!!!

i just tagged you in my old thread 'my friend sid' he was a rescue dog we got when he was young....still brings a tear to my eye when i think of him.