Certain Food cravings have hit me hard ever since I started HRT

willis3

Awards
So I have started craving certain foods ever since I started HRT. The foods are as follows in order of craving

1)All Natural Peanut Butter...The kind that has the oil seperation, I crave this stuff like I'm a pregnant woman.

2)Ice Cream- I crave this stuff constantly.

3) Cookie Dough

4)Pizza

5)Burger and Fries

Quite a line up I know. All this stuff is terrible for me. The strangest one is actually the cookie dough. I crave the raw choc. chip cookie dough but I don't crave baked cookies. One interesting thing I find is ever since my doc upped my thyroid doseage cause I explained to him that I would more thn likely feel better if he would titrate my thyroid based on the free t3 and free t4 numbers and not worry about my tsh. Amazingly he listened and raised it. Nevertheless my point was that ever since he raised my thyroid I've noticed the cravings have not been as strong. That's only been over the last week or so. Still though these cravings are killing me and my health. During the day especially the early morning hours I'm able to resist them...in fact I rarely ever get them in the morning. As the day goes on though they become more and more bothersome and then at night (I workout at night, sometimes as late as 11:00 pm because of work, maybe that has something to do with it) usually after the workout the cravings go into overdrive. Obviously something is going on, I suspect it's adrenal cortisol related, I did have low cortisol on my bloodwork, and maybe some sort of deficiency due to the specific foods I seem to be craving (oily,fatty, rich, creamy, carbs, mostly I think it's the fat) I don't know for sure. I just know that I'm ok during the day but at night it gets hard. And also ever since doc raised thyroid cravings have subsided slightly. Pherhaps the initial elevation in thyroid has caused my adrenals to put out more cortisol initially and allowed for my blood sugar to be more stable. However, I suspect that if I have any adrenal problems then the cortisol will eventually drop out and I'll be left with a faster metabolism due to increased thyroid but lacking sufficient adrenal support. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Pherhaps it's my problem sleeping (obviously I should try to workout in morning to help that). For a while I took a little melatonin only about .7 mg. I stopped this because I don't know what exactly the melatonin would do or how it would possibly alter my other hormones. Doc told me that melatonin would slow me down more so now to sleep I take Inositol,Gaba, Glycine, Passion Flower, and L-Tryptophan-500 mg. It helps a little. On the rare occasions that I do have a few beers I always sleep better but I don't want the other effects that go along with alcohol especially being on HRT.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
So I have started craving certain foods ever since I started HRT. The foods are as follows in order of craving

1)All Natural Peanut Butter...The kind that has the oil seperation, I crave this stuff like I'm a pregnant woman.

3) Cookie Dough

4)Pizza

5)Burger and Fries

Quite a line up I know. All this stuff is terrible for me. The strangest one is actually the cookie dough. I crave the raw choc. chip cookie dough but I don't crave baked cookies. One interesting thing I find is ever since my doc upped my thyroid doseage cause I explained to him that I would more thn likely feel better if he would titrate my thyroid based on the free t3 and free t4 numbers and not worry about my tsh. Amazingly he listened and raised it. Nevertheless my point was that ever since he raised my thyroid I've noticed the cravings have not been as strong. That's only been over the last week or so. Still though these cravings are killing me and my health. During the day especially the early morning hours I'm able to resist them...in fact I rarely ever get them in the morning. As the day goes on though they become more and more bothersome and then at night (I workout at night, sometimes as late as 11:00 pm because of work, maybe that has something to do with it) usually after the workout the cravings go into overdrive. Obviously something is going on, I suspect it's adrenal cortisol related, I did have low cortisol on my bloodwork, and maybe some sort of deficiency due to the specific foods I seem to be craving (oily,fatty, rich, creamy, carbs, mostly I think it's the fat) I don't know for sure. I just know that I'm ok during the day but at night it gets hard. And also ever since doc raised thyroid cravings have subsided slightly. Pherhaps the initial elevation in thyroid has caused my adrenals to put out more cortisol initially and allowed for my blood sugar to be more stable. However, I suspect that if I have any adrenal problems then the cortisol will eventually drop out and I'll be left with a faster metabolism due to increased thyroid but lacking sufficient adrenal support. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Pherhaps it's my problem sleeping (obviously I should try to workout in morning to help that). For a while I took a little melatonin only about .7 mg. I stopped this because I don't know what exactly the melatonin would do or how it would possibly alter my other hormones. Doc told me that melatonin would slow me down more so now to sleep I take Inositol,Gaba, Glycine, Passion Flower, and L-Tryptophan-500 mg. It helps a little. On the rare occasions that I do have a few beers I always sleep better but I don't want the other effects that go along with alcohol especially being on HRT.

Check into adrenal fatigue and insulin inbalances and stop being a baby, no one is holding a gun to your head telling you to eat it. Get some balls and say no..

MMMMMMMMM YUMY IT CALLING FOR YOU :pizza:

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Try to play mental games with yourself.
Hold you crawings for a week and then splurge, but only one day, I do that all the time.
Study yourself, try to figure out what works for you.
-------------
Dr Marianco is a "head" doc, I did not seen him posting lately,
but try on his site.
-------------
If you have blood work, post as much as you have, there is a possibility that something simple is out.
-------------
What makes a woman crave strange foods (estrogens, prolactin, variations????)?
Anybody post a list of suspects, please.
Similar mechanism may be at work with you?
-------------
It is not funny, I know, my symphaty.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Possibily you raising up dopamine and lowering serotonin levels due to the exposure to the excessive testosterone you are not used too. high testostosterone lowers serotonin levels..

magic8989

Awards
Its all about moderation man. Go ahead and have some of those foods, just limit the portions. After working out is always the time i like to eat ice cream, pizza, and other goodies. I look at it as a reward for busting my ass with the weights.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I am not sure how this will fit here, but I just downloaded book on macrobiotics.
"Becoming Whole: The Story of My Complete Recovery From Breast Cancer"
from
lulu.com
That book was mentioned in current update in:
Life Extension Foundation

I just started reading this book, appears quite interestig.
It is easy to download and it cost less than hard book.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established

3) Cookie Dough

4)Pizza

5)Burger and Fries
Um... I think every normal person craves some things in that list, if not all. Or, at least some type of favorite food.

Hell, I crave that entire list (except ice cream) all the time.

But, WILLPOWER, man, WILLPOWER!

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established

3) Cookie Dough

4)Pizza

5)Burger and Fries

I wasnt gonna reply, but just so you know your not alone, anytime I have changed/messed/adjusted/fixed(pick whicheverword you want) my hormone/test levels in my life I have seen both sides of the coin, good food cravings and bad food cravings. Ive had the peanut butter/peanuts one also, and some of my weird ones were pasta sauce, pickles(by the jarfull), italian bread(dont eat white bread at all) and orange juice(by the gallon), oj is great, but drink about a gallon in one sitting on a hot day and see how you feel. As far as the junk/crap food you listed, depending on your backround, that may always be there, it is for alot of people, and you just have to fight it, or indulge once and move on. I think I read eating that stuff(ultra fatty) lowers test levels, I could be mistaken, but why chance it.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I have had cravings for icecream here and there since starting TRT, I thought I was just going through a phase but now I think related.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
That's strange. Usually guys tell me their (now) healthy T levels make them want veggies, meat, fruit, etc. It's the unhealthy couch potatoes that crave potato chips.
Dang. I've never craved for a veggie... ever. I like fruits and veggies, but I never have the urge to binge on them like I do pizza.

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Try to play mental games with yourself.
Hold you crawings for a week and then splurge, but only one day, I do that all the time.
Study yourself, try to figure out what works for you.
-------------
Dr Marianco is a "head" doc, I did not seen him posting lately,
but try on his site.
-------------
If you have blood work, post as much as you have, there is a possibility that something simple is out.
-------------
What makes a woman crave strange foods (estrogens, prolactin, variations????)?
Anybody post a list of suspects, please.
Similar mechanism may be at work with you?
-------------
It is not funny, I know, my symphaty.
Tried basic google search for Dr Marianco, couldn't find his site. Could someone PM it?

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
never mind, I just found it. I noticed all the regulars here are over there as well.

I love the internet.

BigJimCalhoun

Awards
I crave candy. I have been eating two movie theatre-sized boxes of Mike and Ikes a day : (