carnitine and lactic acid

619sss

Awards
I read online that carnitine help with lactic acid remove, something like that.

Then I talked about it to my doctor, he said "all amino acids causes lactic acid when it's used, and carnitine causes more lactic"

Not sure who I believe, moreover "online" studies say it help improvement in sexual health in men and I know 2 men who uses 1.5g daily and felt decrease sexual performance...

The only thing they all agree on is the performance increase.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It depends on how you look at it maybe? I only had 5 minutes to look into this - but found this study:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267403353_The_Effect_of_L-Carnitine_Treatment_on_Lactic_Acid_Levels_in_Normal_Subjects_and_Patients_with_IGT

A quick look appears to indicate that lactic acid levels did in fact decrease after administration of L-Carnitine, but the hypothesis seems to be that the underlying metabolic processes that L-Carnitine supports allowed for more effective removal of LA; if my quick glance indication is correct.

In other words, L-Carnitine improved glucose management, for instance, which has down stream effects on your body functioning well.

enraged_chris

Awards
Lactic acid is not negative and does not hurt performance-- it's actually used as a fuel source. Lot of misinformation out there. The real negative is build-up of H+ ions which can make the muscle too acidic to function at full power. That's why bases like baking soda can cause a performance enhancing effect (if you can handle possible gi issues)

619sss

Awards
Lactic acid is not negative and does not hurt performance-- it's actually used as a fuel source. Lot of misinformation out there. The real negative is build-up of H+ ions which can make the muscle too acidic to function at full power. That's why bases like baking soda can cause a performance enhancing effect (if you can handle possible gi issues)
The purpose of soda is to lower the acidity and it's PH is 7.5 right?

So if I drank alkaline water it would be the best?

enraged_chris

Awards
Alkaline water doesn't really have enough of an effect to matter. It's just expensive water. Usually they make it alkaline by adding small amounts of something like sodium bicarbonate. Biggest rip off.