captains of crush!

bananaClip

bananaClip

Awards
  • Established
so i just a pair today, pretty excited actually... the last time i had something like this was in the 8th grade!
i got 2 140 lbs... no.1s i think

do i just crank a few sets when i have dinner or should i incorporate this into my lifting routine

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ironmind has a lot of grip stuff but a lot of it can be simply made too. I own a few of the different COC's myself. I think grip work can be done around any type of bigger structure training actually.
Grip recovers day to day fairly quick IMO and I was usually able to train it at least a few times per week.
A difference for me between static hold power and squeeze power as well. So depending on your goals!?, you might have to train appropriately.
The P&B has a pretty good grip board too. Some monster crushers over there.

fasttaker

Awards
Treat it like part of your workout routine - don't just pick them up any old time or several times a day. Make sure your hands are warmed up and you don't overdo it, because you will injure your hands.

Also, you say you just ordered some No. 1's? If you haven't been training your grip, I think you'll be surprised how tough they are. The average guy who lifts weights usually can't close the No.1, and if he can, it's might be for just a couple reps.

I think Paul Black is probably much more knowledgeable and experienced than me, but I wouldn't advise training hard with them more than 3-4 times per week. And just 2-3 times may be best. (Sometimes it's nice to have more than one gripper so that light training can be done in between the more intense sessions, but that's not necessary.)

If you are serious and consistent, but don't see improvement, I'd advise doing less and not more. Just my thoughts from personal experience. (Also, your grip strength will be a good measure of whether you may be overdoing it with all of your training in general.)

bananaClip

bananaClip

Awards
  • Established
cool thanks for the feedback you guys
how would i judge if my grip is actually getting stronger?
would picking up heavier weights be just eaiser or something

fasttaker

Awards
When you are able to add reps.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yes, adding reps,
Holding it closed for longer counts. (Stick a nickel between the squeezed handles, if it falls out your grip loosened some)
Pinch gripping plates or cement blocks together
Static OH or UH holds of barbells
Carrying loads longer without losing grip
Hanging from a chin bar longer or add weight and hang
Lots of ways to test grip strength, holding power etc. etc.
Wrist curls off the end of a bench
Wringing out wet rags
Twisting or bending nails bars etc.
Picking up blobs of heavy weights.
Lots of stuff in grip comps.

karenduff

karenduff

Awards
Agreed with fasttaker!