Building bigger triceps

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
What's up guys, relatively new to the site and was looking for some useful feed back. Been training for roughly 14 years now and have reached a pretty decent place as far as my physique is concerned, however, I feel as thought my triceps are still lagging when compared to the rest of my body. Looking for some suggestions for building them up. Any suggestions?

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
What's up guys, relatively new to the site and was looking for some useful feed back. Been training for roughly 14 years now and have reached a pretty decent place as far as my physique is concerned, however, I feel as thought my triceps are still lagging when compared to the rest of my body. Looking for some suggestions for building them up. Thanks

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i think you will get more feedback if you put this in tge training section bud

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Compounds bro, Slow HEAVY controlled Dips :D! Explosive CGBP or heavy a*s negatives on it too! (CGBP= Close Grip Bench Press). Also , heavy overhead triceps extensions help a lot too bro! The key is to engage all the triceps and the bigger head of the triceps (longhead) with heavy weight and deloading before or once neural fatigue sets in! But most importantly of all is...:

DIET , if you do NOT eat at a surplus you can NOT grow in size , unless in PH/DS or AAS in general haha.

Awards
1. heavy close grip bench press.
2. heavy reverse grip bench press.
3. heavy lying french press (fail between 5-7).when you can't do anymore don't put it down,do as many close grip benchs as you can.

pick one and do 3 work sets with plenty of rest between.pick one other exercise (push downs ,standing french press ect) do 1-2 sets 12-15 reps

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
While i think heavy presses and movements have there place in the workout, dont forget about the different angles and different techniques. There are multiple ways to engage the muscle.

I have also found that warming up the elbows by doing some light v bar pushdowns or rope pushdowns to get blood into the area and to loosen up the joints helps as well.

My favorite thing to do is supersets which my arm days consist of a lot. Squeezes and stretching and ensuring proper form is good is big too.

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Thanks a lot for the feed back, for the past couple months I've been hitting my triceps twice a week, monday & friday with the 12-15 rep range but I have recently switched back to my more traditional 6-8. Dips have become a big part of my regimen and I will definitely reincorporate the compounds.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Dips work magic for me. Like ole' boy said earlier, slow HEAVY controlled dips.

TheHardOne

TheHardOne

Awards
Compounds bro, Slow HEAVY controlled Dips :D! Explosive CGBP or heavy a*s negatives on it too! (CGBP= Close Grip Bench Press). Also , heavy overhead triceps extensions help a lot too bro! The key is to engage all the triceps and the bigger head of the triceps (longhead) with heavy weight and deloading before or once neural fatigue sets in! But most importantly of all is...:

DIET , if you do NOT eat at a surplus you can NOT grow in size , unless in PH/DS or AAS in general haha.
Boom!

Solid input!

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Check youtube for jm presses. Another solid compound for triceps. Don't be afraid to add some plates onto your dips. Weighted dips will help growth immensely.

TheHardOne

TheHardOne

Awards
Want huge triceps? Here ya go!

1)Pre pump without fatigue (just to get the joints lubricated / get nutrients into the muscle, start warming up the nervous system)
-Light Pushdowns 5 sets of 30 reps (45 sec rest periods) (3021 tempo) (don't worry you won't get fatigued aslong as your not doing any forced reps)
-Light Deadlifts 5 sets of 10 reps (45 sec rest periods) (3021 tempo) (this is just to make sure your nervous system is warmed up so your joints/muscles will be ready for the heavy poundages) (injury prevention aswell)

2)High Threshold Work
-Closer Grip Bench Press 3-5 reps (start with 3 working sets, every week increase density by 2 sets, increase weight every 2 weeks) (5101 tempo) (take a few warm up sets of close grip pressing before your working sets obviously) (we are going for performance, take longer rest periods around 2-4 mins)

3)Maximum Pump Work (to enhance recovery / take muscle through its entire biochanic range of motion, to its full length, to its fully shortened point)
**Complex--Go from the first exercise to the next, take 20-30 second rest periods between each exercise and 60 sec rest between each complex set (tempo 3021) (Complete 3 complexes, add an additional complex set every 2 weeks) (Honestly 2 of these complexes should have your triceps achieve a maximum pump) (8-12 reps each exercise)
-Rope Pushdowns
-Narrow Grip Skullcrushers (to the forehead)
-Overhead DB or barbell extensions (or overhead rope)
-Dips (or close grip pushups/bench press)

*Take Home Notes*
-Squeeze your antagonist muscle on the negative on every rep (in this case the biceps/brachialis) for injury prevention and to achieve a better stretch in the targeted muscle with less joint aggravation.
-Manage to keep the elbows in on all tricep isolation movements
-Elbows slightly flared on close grip benching, yes keeping the elbows in has its place/advantage. (safety caution)
-When the muscle is completely pumped from your Maximum Pump work, your done. Leave. (yes stretching the muscle for a specific duration of time when the muscle is pumped "sounds right", but in all honest truth its really not going to do anything significant)
-We are trying to thrash the fast twitch fibers...explosive concentric! Control the negative.
-Yes I understand, giant sets / complexes can tamper with with body motor pattern / motor unit efficiency, but common now, lets "KISS". Keep it simple stupid!
-You want to enhance your pump even further? Take 1g Agmatine, 8g Citrulline Malate(SNS has these in BULK!) 1 hour before your workout. Sumbodyz gona look like he haz synthol in his arms!! Now thats a pump!
-No forced reps! (we are not looking to burn out the CNS) (yes doing them "once in a blue moon" will be beneficial, but more on that another time)
-Stay hydrated!
-Now go GROW!

Psalm 18:32-34 the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless. He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights. He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the suggestions on the above post, except for one

-Squeeze your antagonist muscle on the negative on every rep (in this case the biceps/brachialis) for injury prevention and to achieve a better stretch in the targeted muscle with less joint aggravation.
^ do NOT do this. THIS is a great way to get injured during the press

In addition, twice a week is better than once a week to bring up weak areas. You could even do them a third time in the week. Maybe after your leg workout, do 3-5 sets of isolation work on the tricep. Just make sure you're not doing any pressing the day after legs if you're going to do this.

TheHardOne

TheHardOne

Awards
I like the suggestions on the above post, except for one

^ do NOT do this. THIS is a great way to get injured during the press

In addition, twice a week is better than once a week to bring up weak areas. You could even do them a third time in the week. Maybe after your leg workout, do 3-5 sets of isolation work on the tricep. Just make sure you're not doing any pressing the day after legs if you're going to do this.
Actually it is not. Thats why we stay under control at all times. And common sense, can you really squeeze your biceps on the negative of a close grip bench press anyways? I find that very difficult. Which that was what you were talking about correct?

Please, when ever you want to put out some advice, don't go bash someone else by saying "do NOT do this". Its very rude. Maybe you should of pm'ed me and with your concerns before putting a comment out like that. If you have advice, there are better ways to state them.

Thank you

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually it is not. Thats why we stay under control at all times. And common sense, can you really squeeze your biceps on the negative of a close grip bench press anyways? I find that very difficult. Which that was what you were talking about correct?

Please, when ever you want to put out some advice, don't go bash someone else by saying "do NOT do this". Its very rude. Maybe you should of pm'ed me and with your concerns before putting a comment out like that. If you have advice, there are better ways to state them.

Thank you
I'm not bashing you by any means. In fact I quoted your post to approve of it. I just wanted to point out that half the problem in performing presses is getting muscles involved, or more involved, that shouldn't be as involved, namely the biceps. Just tuck your elbows and pull the bar apart to focus the weight on the triceps.

TheHardOne

TheHardOne

Awards
I'm not bashing you by any means. In fact I quoted your post to approve of it. I just wanted to point out that half the problem in performing presses is getting muscles involved, or more involved, that shouldn't be as involved, namely the biceps. Just tuck your elbows and pull the bar apart to focus the weight on the triceps.
Right on! The way you put it sounded like you were saying I was logically wrong, its cool though!

Just stay controlled with all your movements! Contracting your antagonist muscles isn't a must, there are 2 thoughts for that aswell, 1 thought saying its bad, and 1 thought saying it allows a better stretch of the targeted muscle. Aslong as your controlled, thats really all that matters.

Peace and Love brother

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Thanks for the additional advice guys I appreciate all of it. Trying to incorporate these suggestions into my existing regimen without going overboard. So far so good. Triceps are getting thrased. Someone mentioned that targeting the tricep 3x a week, you don't think that is too much and might slow down their development?

TheHardOne

TheHardOne

Awards
Thanks for the additional advice guys I appreciate all of it. Trying to incorporate these suggestions into my existing regimen without going overboard. So far so good. Triceps are getting thrased. Someone mentioned that targeting the tricep 3x a week, you don't think that is too much and might slow down their development?
That depends on your recovery, if you can handle training your triceps 3x a week there are alot of variables to be concerned with, one of them is periodizing the overall workload / volume.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Ive seen some literature on hitting a laggy body part 3x a week for roughly 3-4 weeks to bring it to the cusp of overtraining, and then doing a deload on it. Supposedly it is supposed to help development significantly. I haven't tried it my self because ive been following the dc training program. Could be worth a shot and i may incorporate it soon for shoulders since they are seeming to lag for me.

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Ya recovery time is really crucial for me right now cuz my schedule is pretty busy but I will try it out this week and see how the body feels

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Ive seen some literature on hitting a laggy body part 3x a week for roughly 3-4 weeks to bring it to the cusp of overtraining, and then doing a deload on it. Supposedly it is supposed to help development significantly. I haven't tried it my self because ive been following the dc training program. Could be worth a shot and i may incorporate it soon for shoulders since they are seeming to lag for me.
Ya dude for me it's always been the arms, biceps are coming along but triceps still seem to fall short to me. I've read that it is possible to hit a smaller muscle group such as the triceps up to 3x a week.

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
So I will definitely be giving the 3x week a go and hopefully with some good results