BSN Products

nymickey

Awards
My son is 18 and just joined a gym. He weighs only 155lbs and is 5' 9'' The gym has been giving out free sample of True-Mass, N.O.-XPLODE and CELLMASS. Has anyone heard of these or used them? They are all from BSN. We are not sure which to buy, if any. Thanks everyone !!!!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
they are all ok, a little high on the price side. If your son is looking to add some weight and muscle, really diet is the first place to start. All of those sorts of things are just extras. At 18 and that size, he can go a long way just eating right. By eating right I mean general healthy eating, making sure he gets enough protein (don't need to buy protein powders, just from whole food is better) spread through the whole day, and take in a bit more calories in general. If he's been stable at that size, i'd guess adding 1 or 2 pbj sandwiches on whole grain bread a day would get him a lot further than any of those products :D

sumbum801

Awards
  • Established
no xplode is a preworkout drink that contains a plethora of different substances, but pre workout drinks are caracterized as having mainly Arganine, caffeine, and creatine among other things. cell mass is a post workout drink that's suppose to aid in recovery and mostly contains creatine and glutamine, and true mass is a weight gainer protein. in my personal expierence there are much better products out there for cheaper.

pre workout supplements
shock therapy
white flood
fast twitch
jacked
jp8
that's a good place to start with pre workout, and im sure others will chime in as well

Post workout
i stick with the basics
whey,waxy maize, oatmeal, creatine, milk, peanut butter, banana all blended up

protein
there are alot of weight gainers out there, although im not a big fan of them but if i had to mention one..
Real gains
overall you are better off using the above post workout nutrition as your "weight gainer" it ends up being alot cheaper, with alot more servings

as far as buying your supplements, gyms and local retailers are a rip off and the employees have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, all there worried about is there commission (generally), your better off shopping at nutraplanet and roaming this board for unbiased opinions and reviews. any questions at all just ask!

sumbum801

Awards
  • Established
QUOTE=EasyEJL;1784829]they are all ok, a little high on the price side. If your son is looking to add some weight and muscle, really diet is the first place to start. All of those sorts of things are just extras. At 18 and that size, he can go a long way just eating right. By eating right I mean general healthy eating, making sure he gets enough protein (don't need to buy protein powders, just from whole food is better) spread through the whole day, and take in a bit more calories in general. If he's been stable at that size, i'd guess adding 1 or 2 pbj sandwiches on whole grain bread a day would get him a lot further than any of those products :D[/QUOTE]

:goodpost:

absolutely correct. as appealing as supplements are, foods are more beneficial for you. when you get your diet down then you can supplement your diet with supplements. LOTS OF FOOD=GROWTH

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
getting his diet sorted out for gaining clean weight would be the first thing to look at then knowledge on how to workout/train properly. I would say the next step is to get some creatine. There are many different types, a very wide range, but you can get bulk creatine monohydrate for cheap and just add it to a drink.

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
if hes that young just tell him to eat alot...and eat tons and tons of whole eggs...maybe add a redbull b4 workouts or something similar...

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
This is all very good advice for those lucky enough to fall into that category but as i fall into this category myself, i must say not everyone can just eat alot and gain weight, especially not clean weight.

Im 18, 5'8 and weigh 172lbs. and could eat 4000+ calories a day and not gain a single pound back when i was 16.

I started lifting when i was 16 weighing 122lbs. and ate everything i could and still had trouble gaining weight at all until i started taking creatine. Now im turning 19 next month weighing 172lbs.

I would say lift clean for a month maybe, but then you should definitely have a mutli vitamin, some creatine, and some protein, along with an added preworkout supp if you need it.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is all very good advice for those lucky enough to fall into that category but as i fall into this category myself, i must say not everyone can just eat alot and gain weight, especially not clean weight.

Im 18, 5'8 and weigh 172lbs. and could eat 4000+ calories a day and not gain a single pound back when i was 16.

I started lifting when i was 16 weighing 122lbs. and ate everything i could and still had trouble gaining weight at all until i started taking creatine. Now im turning 19 next month weighing 172lbs.

I would say lift clean for a month maybe, but then you should definitely have a mutli vitamin, some creatine, and some protein, along with an added preworkout supp if you need it.
my thoughts exactly.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just to be redundant, get the diet in order and the lifting in order. In truly looking for supps, at his age keep it simple

Whey Isolate, Waxy Maize, good multi, and an EFA.

Just my 2 cents

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
just to be redundant, get the diet in order and the lifting in order. In truly looking for supps, at his age keep it simple

Whey Isolate, Waxy Maize, good multi, and an EFA.

Just my 2 cents
Diet, training, supplementation.

ryaroberts

ryaroberts

Awards
  • Established
bsn makes good solid products HOWEVER way over price for what they are. you are paying for the label =/ that why i dont use them =)

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
My son is 18 and just joined a gym. He weighs only 155lbs and is 5' 9'' The gym has been giving out free sample of True-Mass, N.O.-XPLODE and CELLMASS. Has anyone heard of these or used them? They are all from BSN. We are not sure which to buy, if any. Thanks everyone !!!!
don't buy any. a kid that inexperienced will gain nothing from supps

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
don't buy any. a kid that inexperienced will gain nothing from supps

I agree and you could be trowing money away, your son should first develop a good training routine and show dedication to training to build a good foundation, and work on his diet to maximize his total natural potential then start to add the basics that others mentioned, i would start with creatine mono.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
if you are going to spend any money on your kid at the gym, spend it on getting him a couple of training sessions so he can learn correct exercise form or find someone willing to help him out a little

when i started lifting weights (19 years ago) there were no fancy labelled supps and no creatine, just protein powders, i had the luxury though that i had no choice as they didn't exist so i just lifted weights and ate, the good thing was that in order to get better results, i'd have to adjust my diet and training, learn what worked and what didn't, this became a solid foundation that i've never lost

i think too many beginners get into supps way too early and do not go as far as they can naturally, once you hit a plateau, then get some creatine, once you hit your next plateau just using creatine, look for something else

just my 2 cents

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you are going to spend any money on your kid at the gym, spend it on getting him a couple of training sessions so he can learn correct exercise form or find someone willing to help him out a little

when i started lifting weights (19 years ago) there were no fancy labelled supps and no creatine, just protein powders, i had the luxury though that i had no choice as they didn't exist so i just lifted weights and ate, the good thing was that in order to get better results, i'd have to adjust my diet and training, learn what worked and what didn't, this became a solid foundation that i've never lost

i think too many beginners get into supps way too early and do not go as far as they can naturally, once you hit a plateau, then get some creatine, once you hit your next plateau just using creatine, look for something else

just my 2 cents
true, paying a couple hundred for a trainer to show him how to do the more miserable exercises with proper form, like deadlifts and free weight squats. Plus helping him work through stretches

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Sounds around where I was a year ago weight wise. I am currently 19 years old, 5'7-5'8 around 173 Lbs. I was 140 Lbs as of last february around 5% bodyfat from wrestling. Rather than getting him into those supplements spend it on his diet. Seriously, I take in 5000+ calories a day, 600G carbs, 350+G protein, and 75-100G fats a day and that works wonders on its own! Supplement wise have him look into a creatine. IMO pre-workouts are non essential. I rarely use one because if you hit some light sets with rapid reps and little break you can get the exact same feeling. Snag him some good protein ( All the Whey is who i generally use) and a branch chain amino acid during workout. That sound be all he needs for now. Have him message me and I can talk to him more about what I did.

I agree with having him stict to compounds. I only workout 3 days a week. I hit squats all 3 days, deadlifts, incline, flat barbell, and bent over rows once a week. have him look up madcows 5x5 routine. It will produce some solid gains with the diet I listed above

teamorbit

teamorbit

Awards
Great advice from all above. True without propper nutrition supplements will just be a waste of money. Sounds like hes off to a great start getting involved in fitness at a young age. Take this time to educate him on both nutrition and supplementation. He has all the time in the world for supplements later.

Hoomgar

Hoomgar

Awards
  • Established
Lots of good advice in this thread. No need to be redundant so I'll just say that taking the advice offered here is definitely in his best interest if he truely cares about his health and making muscular gains.

Hg

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
yea and don't get an ephedra based product if u do try it because none of them will work. have to get ephedrine hcl from a pharmacy. i think primatene is the HCL version
why are you talking about ephedrine in a thread about giving advice to an 18 year old who's new to weights???

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
why are you talking about ephedrine in a thread about giving advice to an 18 year old who's new to weights???
cause i'm an idiot that posted that in the wrong thread. maybe next time i should pay attention to what thread i'm looking at

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
cause i'm an idiot that posted that in the wrong thread. maybe next time i should pay attention to what thread i'm looking at
i thought that might have been the case, i know which thread you're referring to.

it might be a good idea to edit that mistaken post you posted on this thread to avoid any confusion for the o/p,

just a thought

lilGiant

lilGiant

Awards
If he is 18 and just starting out i would suggest not buying any of them, and not because the products arent good, but because there are other things out there that might benefit a beginer for a much cheaper price. I would suggest a cheap but pure creatine monohydrate as well as a multi-vitamin, bcaas, and waxy maize for pre/post workout. Overall his diet is the most important at a time like this. After he gets some experience he can dable in the supplement industry a little bit more. Havent read the thread so this was prolly mentioned by now.