Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir - SPOILER

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wanna put this in my avatar. I dont know why but, probably cause its funny.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
haha, nice work, Norris. Let's focus on Jas' incredible lack of integrity. He posted "I gotta believe in Noguiera", tried convincing anonymous souls that Nog would win, then days later picks sh*tinthepants, then when Nog wins he puts him in his av with a sig saying "Gotta Believe"(I realize he's making fun of himself with the av/sig, but damn).
Aren't I a stinker?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I've got to spread some rep around before I rep you, Jas. Apparently I've only repped one time, and it was you.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
What kind of removal bullsh*t is goin on here?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Why do you hate Mullet so much?

He's creeped out by the preying mantis resemblance and got a B+ on a term paper in high school because of too much information, overkill.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
OKay so who is the next #1 HW contender? I would say maybe AA is the best choice, but he's leaving so it ain't happening. Werdum is coming off a big win but he's 1-1. Herring? kidding. Kongo? Mir? O'brien? All seem like weak choices, Mir might be buildable from marketing standpoint but he doesn't deserve it for sure.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Here's the Mir back of the head clip. Vid suggests 5 shots.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Indeed. CNORRIS would claim 0-1 shots.
I'm at work so I cant watch the video, but I am pretty damn sure it wasnt more than 1-2 shots in a row. Mir may have turned his head back, forward and back again resulting in 5 total.
Either way, I have seen fighters roll off tens of hits to the back of the head while mounting a guy who is laying on his stomach. So this rule only gets enforced if you are a HW with serious power? I guess thats the case.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was speaking to PistonPump. Check out his "The Ultimate Warrior" youtube av. I would rather rep Auggie for telling me how many gazabillion times he could kick my ass, sorry, not appenin bruv!!! Speaking of the devil, what happened to Vika?
I noticed the lack of angry island pride around here too, where is Vika?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
OKay so who is the next #1 HW contender? I would say maybe AA is the best choice, but he's leaving so it ain't happening. Werdum is coming off a big win but he's 1-1. Herring? kidding. Kongo? Mir? O'brien? All seem like weak choices, Mir might be buildable from marketing standpoint but he doesn't deserve it for sure.
I dont know, id like to see Kongo again.

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
ok, it looks like 4 3 of the 4 were very weak hits. the last 1 was hard. still i have seen many fights where guys have been turning there heads on the ground and get hit like 6-10 times and still just get a warning. I still feel the call was bs and never should have been stopped.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was checking out a post fight interview with Steve Mazzaggotti, and he claims that he actually warned Lesnar about hitting the back of the head after he had hammerfisted Mir 2 or 3 times, and then Lesnar instantly proceeded to hammerfist Mir in the back of the head a few more times after the warning.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
ok, it looks like 4 3 of the 4 were very weak hits. the last 1 was hard. still i have seen many fights where guys have been turning there heads on the ground and get hit like 6-10 times and still just get a warning. I still feel the call was bs and never should have been stopped.
Get over here so I can hit you in the back of the head!

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Mir comments about the Brock fight:

"Over the last several weeks I have been focused on my fight last weekend with Brock Lesnar. I basically sequestered myself in training with my training partners and Coaches. My coach for stand up is Ken Hahn of Striking Unlimited, my training partners are Aaron for wrestling and James Horne for BJJ and all round MMA.

I started training about 10 weeks out from the fight and worked on striking and jiu jitsu. I also worked on take down defense against the cage which turned out to not be needed but you have to train all aspects of mma to be ready for a fight. You never know where a fight is going to go. We thought that Brock was going to stand and punch to stay away from going to the ground with me. In one way I was glad he did take me down but I have to tell you, his ground and pound was ferocious. He was so quick, so agile, so strong it wasn’t funny. Actually, during the fight I was thinking and kind of laughing to myself is this guy for real. I mean he took me down passed the guard and as I was transitioning he ended up on my opposite side before I knew it. Very very impressive.

I got to speak briefly with Brock after the fight and told him probably what he already knows, he is going to be a force and perhaps already is. My hat is off to the guy. He brings a lot to the sport. You have not seen anywhere close to the last of him. Read more...

I guess you probably want to know about the submission. In jiu jitsu and in MMA you have to keep transitioning. I go for the submission and look to finish. I am not looking for a tap, I am looking for a clear cut submission. When Brock stood up I opened my guard to give him room to do something, he chose to stand above me and go for a huge hammer fisted punch. As he was doing that I decided to maneuver for a leg lock and trip him into the move. It worked. I figure foured my legs rather than scooted up real close to the top of his thighs and extended my legs around his back on purpose so I could keep my legs away from him being able to push or pull out of the submission or grab my leg or ankle. I had it pretty tight, about 80%. A few more seconds and I would have started to hear some popping sounds of his tendons giving way I am sure. No one likes when that happens and since he did tap his knee is fine and he can be training right away. He is an outstanding athlete and seems to be a great guy so I wish him the best and I am grateful that he took the fight. It was an honor to go against such a successful and decorated collegiate wrestler. "

Taken from Official Website of MMA Fighter Frank Mir

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Mir is a good guy, good fighter, not so much.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Mir is a good guy, good fighter, not so much.

Mir's record, is 11 - 3 , 1 KO, 7 submissions.

3 opponents have even been able to last the entire first round with him. 8 of them on or around the 2:00 minute mark of the first round. 3 of them in UNDER 1 minute.
Tell me what other HW has finished that many guys that quick in his first 14 fights. Including finishing Sylvia in 50 seconds. It took NOG well over 10 minutes.

The only time he hasnt looked like a great fighter was his first 3 fights after his devastating accident.

It looks like Mir is back in shape and hungry again. I would hardly call him not a good fighter right now. He may prove to even be a contender if he wins his next fight.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Dude are you serious? He just beat Lesnar, and now he's a good fighter? Well, he is good, depending on your definition of good. I don't think he's a top 20 HW. He's beaten 1 truely good fighter, and that's Sylvia? He got his ass handed to him way before the accident by Ian Freeman, a LHW. He got punished by Vera and Pe De Pano and looked like crap against Dan Christianson. He had to battle to beat freakin Wes Sims. He's a decent fighter but is so overhyped. Their are so many guys that would tool him. I don't get it, do people not even watch the fights. The guy has one thing he can do, sub people early, if you can avoid that you're golden. Mir is one of the most overrated fighters in the history of the UFC. I like the guy, but I'd like to remain realistic about his fighting abilities or lack thereof.

Is it me or are you standing up for him because he beat your boy? Trying to legitamize your boy via Mir is weak. Brock has the potential to smash Mir in his sleep. He's a complete novice and Mir got em, don't lose any sleep over it.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dude are you serious? He just beat Lesnar, and now he's a good fighter? Well, he is good, depending on your definition of good. I don't think he's a top 20 HW. He's beaten 1 truely good fighter, and that's Sylvia? He got his ass handed to him way before the accident by Ian Freeman, a LHW. He got punished by Vera and Pe De Pano and looked like crap against Dan Christianson. He had to battle to beat freakin Wes Sims. He's a decent fighter but is so overhyped. Their are so many guys that would tool him. I don't get it, do people not even watch the fights. The guy has one thing he can do, sub people early, if you can avoid that you're golden. Mir is one of the most overrated fighters in the history of the UFC. I like the guy, but I'd like to remain realistic about his fighting abilities or lack thereof.

Is it me or are you standing up for him because he beat your boy? Trying to legitamize your boy via Mir is weak. Brock has the potential to smash Mir in his sleep. He's a complete novice and Mir got em, don't lose any sleep over it.
You said he is not a good fighter. I disagree and obviously have a different view of good. He could not have done what he has done in his career without being a good fighter. Mir is obviously a great grappler and one of the best in the UFC HW division. That qualifies as good fighter for me. Not so much can be said about his stand up, but I would not call him a bad fighter. He may be either the gatekeeper of UFC HW for years or a contender if comes in shape like his last two. I do not see him as a threat to the belt like I would Werdum, Sylvia, Arlovski or even Gonzaga but right now I see him as a good fighter. Those guys I would call Very good and Mir right now is a step below but I would not be surprised if he fought Tim and caught him again in his next fight. That would make him a contender.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That sounds good to me. You're right, he is very good at catching people in submissions early, the best really. I just feel that anyone with decent sub defense or just good all around BJJ will beat him. He's a perfect Hammer House Hunter. Guys like that he'll chew up and spit out. Any smart fighter with good BJJ/TD defense, and decent stand-up, will own Mir. Watching him fight Christianson/Freeman/Vera, etc made me realize he's not likely to ever be anything above average in the UFC. I'll chill with my Mir hate, as he just had a victory over a guy that should soon be destroying fighters far better than Mir.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Mir is a class act in the sport. I had a good feeling he would submit Brock somehow. Like Mir said Brock will be a force to come. Just give him some time. Dana White never ceases to amaze me