sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I hope that wherever he fights that they select an opponent for him that's not very experienced and just for a fun fight; like another powerlifter or strongman competitor that turned to MMA.

The damage on the body already from years of powerlifting and strongman competitions is not very conducive to MMA and would make him much more susceptible to submissions.

Which he seems like a smart guy and I'm sure he knows all of this. I hope he makes some money and enjoys himself, but most of all I hope that he doesn't get seriously hurt.

DaveMcNaul

DaveMcNaul

Awards
  • Established
I hope that wherever he fights that they select an opponent for him that's not very experienced and just for a fun fight; like another powerlifter or strongman competitor that turned to MMA.

The damage on the body already from years of powerlifting and strongman competitions is not very conducive to MMA and would make him much more susceptible to submissions.

Which he seems like a smart guy and I'm sure he knows all of this. I hope he makes some money and enjoys himself, but most of all I hope that he doesn't get seriously hurt.
Cardio is almost everything in a fight.
Probably he is losing weight like Thor did.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Cardio is almost everything in a fight.
Probably he is losing weight like Thor did.
The article stated that he was going to fight at an open weight above the 265 lb. limit. Even if he loses weight, his cardio isn't going to be but so good just because of the amount of muscle he carries.

That's one of the reasons I said that I hope they do this wisely and match him up for just fun fights and possibly with other people in similar situations to him.

Mariusz Pudzianowski is a good example of a strongman turned MMA fighter that can be okay to watch when matched up appropriately, but then I feel bad for when they match him up with people that are more experienced and in better conditioning for the sport.

I think its cool that some of the guys want to try, I just think for their own health and safety they need to be matched up against people with similar skillsets and not put against people that have been training for this most of their lives.

DaveMcNaul

DaveMcNaul

Awards
  • Established
The article stated that he was going to fight at an open weight above the 265 lb. limit. Even if he loses weight, his cardio isn't going to be but so good just because of the amount of muscle he carries.

That's one of the reasons I said that I hope they do this wisely and match him up for just fun fights and possibly with other people in similar situations to him.

Mariusz Pudzianowski is a good example of a strongman turned MMA fighter that can be okay to watch when matched up appropriately, but then I feel bad for when they match him up with people that are more experienced and in better conditioning for the sport.

I think its cool that some of the guys want to try, I just think for their own health and safety they need to be matched up against people with similar skillsets and not put against people that have been training for this most of their lives.
I remember Mariusz, he did a good job, his size was crazy, a strongman with low body fat, something unreal.

He also was brave, when his rivals punched him or kicked him, he keep going, he wasn't afraid.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I remember Mariusz, he did a good job, his size was crazy, a strongman with low body fat, something unreal.

He also was brave, when his rivals punched him or kicked him, he keep going, he wasn't afraid.
Yeah, he did about as good as could be expected in MMA for his size and to have gotten a late start.

He could be fun to watch when they matched him up right with people his experience level, but I felt bad for him the times where they matched him up with people that he just shouldn't have been in there with. That's why I was saying I hope if Brian Shaw tries it, that they match him up with someone else at a similar level and don't throw him up against someone that is very good and very experienced. It would be a shame for someone like him that was a life long strongman to wind up getting a serious injury like a broken arm or blown out knee to where they couldn't do the things they enjoyed.

DaveMcNaul

DaveMcNaul

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, he did about as good as could be expected in MMA for his size and to have gotten a late start.

He could be fun to watch when they matched him up right with people his experience level, but I felt bad for him the times where they matched him up with people that he just shouldn't have been in there with. That's why I was saying I hope if Brian Shaw tries it, that they match him up with someone else at a similar level and don't throw him up against someone that is very good and very experienced. It would be a shame for someone like him that was a life long strongman to wind up getting a serious injury like a broken arm or blown out knee to where they couldn't do the things they enjoyed.
Even worse, damage in his brain.
He should work and focus on his strength, trying to make some damage on the ground because of his size, he is a monster.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Even worse, damage in his brain.
He should work and focus on his strength, trying to make some damage on the ground because of his size, he is a monster.
Yeah, I'm sure he hits super hard and if he works his takedowns, I'm sure he would be hard for most to get off of top of them if he could get them down.

But on the other hand, he would be easy to submit for any decent BJJ guy and would likely get picked apart by leg kicks from a good striker.

I feel like they'll pay him pretty well, so they'll likely match him up with someone he has a good chance against.

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Considering Hafthor slimmed down to 'only' 340lbs for boxing, how much weight is Shaw going to shed for MMA?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm sure it's gonna be a hand picked opponent. There probably gonna find some really big armature who barely fits in the cap and have him come in really heavy. Blue or purple belt who's just a slugger. There gonna make it a sideshow and call it the giants showdown or something like that lol.

JayNY2Fla

Awards
Well the guy is massive. He will be fighting other big people just not as big as him. But this is a different world. What it comes down to is can he take a punch. Just cause ya big doesn’t mean **** when it comes to mma