Brewer's Yeast, thoughts?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
So I was looking at a can of brewer's yeast yesterday and the info on it looks decent. about 15g or so carbs and 15g or so protien not to mention over 600mg of potassium and a great distribution of aminos. I did try to seach the forum (really) and it came up in a few posts but only in passing, nothing really informative regarding it.

My boss was saying that back in the day, before we had the options we do today, that brewer's yeast was used a lot by bodybuilders.

My question is would brewer's yeast mixed in juice be good preworkout? Or would it be better used post? 2nd, it says once per day, would more than that be ill-advised?

5'11
200lb
16% bf

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like if you mixed it in some crystal light or what not (no sugar to freak the yeast out), it might be good for sipping during cardio.

jwecker

Awards
It's simple and clean- go for it.
Never, ever drink some soda or sugary drink after consuming the yeast. I, uh, know from personal experience. I won't go into details...

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I was under the impression that brewer's yeast is already dead...It's Lewis Labs brand and it says it's an inactive yeast. That being said I shouldn't have something crazy happen, right? And as far as I know I don't have a yeast allergy.

I'm looking on google and wiki and whatnot and I'm not really seeing anything that says I'm going to sprout something unnatural out my arse. If nothing else my Gut Health might hold it down.

jwecker

Awards
Well, it's totally anecdotal, so don't worry- but I had some yeast and then ended up drinking some root beer 5-10 minutes later and developed some very bad gas. It didn't stink at all- there was just an awful lot of it- for hours. Didn't mean to imply something would grow in your digestive track that it can't handle- I'm sure you'll be fine :)
And if it's dead, you won't even have to worry about that.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the clarification. I'll update if anything weird happens.

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
all yeast that is used in food/brewing what ever is inactivated. That is until it meets sugar and then C02 gets released.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Gotcha, good to know. Props to gut health and enzymes, haven't farted at all today.