Brain Training

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hey guys,

Just wondering what you all do to keep your brain active, young and sharp?

I have dabbled in various methods of meditation and breathing exercises to try and calm my mind and really just destress, the only thing that really worked for me was wim hoffs breathing techniques really made me relax.

I also play a lot of word and trivia games and do every now and then read up on various scientific studies/youtubers/talks on our minds/brains

I have noticed I am a little bit sharper after incorporating infrared and red light therapy too

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Crosswords, Sudoku, Cryptograms, .... And I'm pretty good at Jeopardy.
I also enjoy researching different topics. Especially ones that would interest most of our board members.

Brocodeout69

Brocodeout69

Awards
It might not be popular, and it's definitely not for everyone (just take a walk around any big American city), but I stay sharp simply by reading.

I prefer traditional books made of actual paper binding that I can hold in my hands, but electronic reading on a computer or portable device works as well (I guess).

Reading gives our brains a workout because comprehending text requires more mental energy than, for example, processing an image on a television screen.

Research published in Neurology suggests that exercising the brain, specifically through the act of reading, may help prevent the risk of developing Alzheimer's.

I also find that through reading I'm constantly expanding my vocabulary and this has always been very beneficial in both my professional and personal life.

When we read we're also introduced to new concepts & ideas, and oftentimes I find myself going aside to explore and research these new and exciting things which betters contributes to my understanding of the world.

It's arbitrary, but I shoot for 50 - 100 pages per night of what are usually non-fiction books.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It might not be popular, and it's definitely not for everyone (just take a walk around any big American city), but I stay sharp simply by reading.

I prefer traditional books made of actual paper binding that I can hold in my hands, but electronic reading on a computer or portable device works as well (I guess).

Reading gives our brains a workout because comprehending text requires more mental energy than, for example, processing an image on a television screen.

Research published in Neurology suggests that exercising the brain, specifically through the act of reading, may help prevent the risk of developing Alzheimer's.

I also find that through reading I'm constantly expanding my vocabulary and this has always been very beneficial in both my professional and personal life.

When we read we're also introduced to new concepts & ideas, and oftentimes I find myself going aside to explore and research these new and exciting things which betters contributes to my understanding of the world.

It's arbitrary, but I shoot for 50 - 100 pages per night of what are usually non-fiction books.
Yep I agree, out of all my good mates only one of them reads books every night and yep, he is the most knowledgeable and sharpest out of the lot of them haha.

I try to read books, but I do find myself skipping lines, reading the same paragraph over and over... I really need to get myself into the mood and not try it after a movie or playing games, my brain is just to wired at that point.

Brocodeout69

Brocodeout69

Awards
Yep I agree, out of all my good mates only one of them reads books every night and yep, he is the most knowledgeable and sharpest out of the lot of them haha.

I try to read books, but I do find myself skipping lines, reading the same paragraph over and over... I really need to get myself into the mood and not try it after a movie or playing games, my brain is just to wired at that point.
It's a discipline my friend. I handle reading like I do lifting and exercise.

I may not want to do it, I may be tired, or not in the mood, but it's the discipline in ourselves and our consistency that makes us strong.

That's actually why I set an arbitrary number of pages that I WILL read before hand. It's like creating a workout plan, it has a fixed beginning and end and when I hit my goal, I'm done, mission accomplished, brain & well-being improved, even if only marginally.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's a discipline my friend. I handle reading like I do lifting and exercise.

I may not want to do it, I may be tired, or not in the mood, but it's the discipline in ourselves and our consistency that makes us strong.

That's actually why I set an arbitrary number of pages that I WILL read before hand. It's like creating a workout plan, it has a fixed beginning and end and when I hit my goal, I'm done, mission accomplished, brain & well-being improved, even if only marginally.
That is a good idea, I will start with low number of pages and build up, gonna swell that brain

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I try to just stay active both physically and mentally. Reading (various fiction and non fiction), games, movies, and pretty much anything to just get me thinking about “stuff”.
I don’t do anything formal for it though I guess.

I do also take various nootropics pretty regularly as well.

Are you implying reading isn’t popular and people in cities don’t read?
Edit: looking for just actual discussion I realize my phrasing may sound blunt I’m more just interested in opinions on it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Yes I think reading is huge and it's like any exercise... if I stop doing pull-ups, they get hard. If I read more frequently, my vocabulary improve drastically and I'm more creative than using the F word, lol.

However I will say I've been studying Spanish like crazy all year and while my spanish is growing substantially, my english is suffering!! ha!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I like to do anything that involves problem solving, mostly puzzles and math related.

Also things that involve quick thinking, no time to look it up or seccond guess yourself

And most importantly for myself I like hands on things that involve hand eye coordination and reaction Time

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I think one of the benefits for me, in reading real books (not screens) is that I sense it 'cures' a.d.d.
When my wife and I travel I notice my threshold for reading quickly goes from say... a page or two, to a chapter or two, to where I can sit and read the book until I'm either uncomfortable in my chair or run out of time or the plane is landing. Its like I can feel the ADD healing.

Brocodeout69

Brocodeout69

Awards
I try to just stay active both physically and mentally. Reading (various fiction and non fiction), games, movies, and pretty much anything to just get me thinking about “stuff”.
I don’t do anything formal for it though I guess.

I do also take various nootropics pretty regularly as well.

Are you implying reading isn’t popular and people in cities don’t read?
Edit: looking for just actual discussion I realize my phrasing may sound blunt I’m more just interested in opinions on it. Thanks!
Concerning your comment about reading, that's great to hear!

I also dabble in the nootropic space. I love SNS' Focus XT. I know that I could create my own blend using various bulks and/or raws, but I'm more than content with the convenience implicit to a premade product.

In regards to my comment about "American cities & reading," no offense was taken.

Nonverbal communication is such a poor communicator, as it doesn't properly imply intent, and my intent was to be facetious not literal. Of course large cities are generally, and historically, the great purveyors of culture & economic prosperity, but my comment was more about the decline of the reading public, in America, as a whole.

Reading as a whole is on the decline in America, and one could say in the Western world writ large. People still read of course, but it's usually blurbs and excerpts via some type of online format, and it's not as productive cognitively, or as conducive to the construction of a well-read, and well-informed population, particularly when compared to times past; at least from my prospect.

Gallup conducted a few polls on this relatively recently, see here, and the cliff notes are:

-Fewer Americans are reading
-Percentage reading any books is stable; fewer are reading more than 10
-Reading is on the decline amongst college graduates (scary in my opinion).

Just my humble thoughts.

Brocodeout69

Brocodeout69

Awards
I think one of the benefits for me, in reading real books (not screens) is that I sense it 'cures' a.d.d.
When my wife and I travel I notice my threshold for reading quickly goes from say... a page or two, to a chapter or two, to where I can sit and read the book until I'm either uncomfortable in my chair or run out of time or the plane is landing. Its like I can feel the ADD healing.
Great point! Personally my preference is for "real books" as well. I enjoy the smell and feel of a new book. Is that a neurotic statement? probably, but that's just my personal preference. I'm glad to hear that others love to read traditional books as well!

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Great point! Personally my preference is for "real books" as well. I enjoy the smell and feel of a new book. Is that a neurotic statement? probably, but that's just my personal preference. I'm glad to hear that others love to read traditional books as well!
Nothing wrong with loving the smell and feel of a new book. I managed a book store in my late teens and to this day I still love the smell and feel of a brand new book in my hands. I read a lot less than I used to, but I'll never fully stop, just need to make more time for it. I used to always read right before bed, but that can cause issues of its own after awhile (books end up making you sleepy).

And of course, there's nothin better than opening up my study bible and learning something new from God's Word!

Brocodeout69

Brocodeout69

Awards
Nothing wrong with loving the smell and feel of a new book. I managed a book store in my late teens and to this day I still love the smell and feel of a brand new book in my hands. I read a lot less than I used to, but I'll never fully stop, just need to make more time for it. I used to always read right before bed, but that can cause issues of its own after awhile (books end up making you sleepy).

And of course, there's nothin better than opening up my study bible and learning something new from God's Word!
A small world! I managed a Barnes and Nobles right out of high school when I first attended college, it was a nightmare, and too pretentious for my taste, but the smell of the place, and the feel of a new book in your hand, and the massive employee discount of course, nearly canceled out the crappiness of the actual work experience!

I've found that reading, in my office, a few hours before bed is when I'm most productive. The brain is a muscle (okay, okay, it's an organ), but the more I use it, consistently and with clear objectives in mind, the better I am at improving it and staying sharp.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ok ya I get what you are saying. The statistics are definitely a bit depressing (mostly how the statistics I see they use to say are reading consists of like 1 book 😭), but I think it could be for a whole host of reasons probably beyond the scope of this post.

Just as an interesting opposite anecdote I've found my best reading when I first wake up. :)

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I wonder if there is a difference in the value our brains retain from words on paper vs words on screen.
to me, reading a book on a tablet cheapens the experience and I feel like I retain better from paper. BUT that's just me, I haven't read any studies on it or anything.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
A small world! I managed a Barnes and Nobles right out of high school when I first attended college, it was a nightmare, and too pretentious for my taste, but the smell of the place, and the feel of a new book in your hand, and the massive employee discount of course, nearly canceled out the crappiness of the actual work experience!

I've found that reading, in my office, a few hours before bed is when I'm most productive. The brain is a muscle (okay, okay, it's an organ), but the more I use it, consistently and with clear objectives in mind, the better I am at improving it and staying sharp.
I was a B Dalton bookseller, same company as B&N, and our store was in the mall. It was super quiet, not a ton of foot traffic, usually only had like 2-4 people working the whole store at any given time. I had a great time, started dating one of the girls there. It was super chill, but there was just no future there.

No disrespect to anyone who might sell books for a living, it's just not enough money to make a real living (esp in cali), and even though money has never been the most important factor for me in choosing where to work, it still ultimately is a factor. Part of me still misses those quiet evenings sorting books and putting things back in their place, and getting advanced copies of Stephen King novels.

Brocodeout69

Brocodeout69

Awards
I wonder if there is a difference in the value our brains retain from words on paper vs words on screen.
to me, reading a book on a tablet cheapens the experience and I feel like I retain better from paper. BUT that's just me, I haven't read any studies on it or anything.
Actually there is a big difference, so your assumption is spot on.

Here's the Cliffs (for anyone interested):

-Reading on a traditional medium like a book versus some digital format allows for better information comprehension, recall & retention. See here.

-Reading a book is MUCH easier on the easy, physically speaking. When you read something digital you literally blink less. If you have kids, or are around kids while on devices, you'll probably have already noticed this... they don't really blink and this is terrible on the eyes. See here.

-Then we have the issues of blue light which is emitted from all electronic screens. There is increasing evidence that blue light can permanently change the structure of the eye, specifically the retinas, which can lead to an acceleration of age-related macular degeneration. See here. Relatedly, specifically for us fitness junkies, blue light negatively effects the circadian rhythm and disrupts the natural production of melatonin. I actually wear blue light blocking glasses whenever I'm on a screen for a long period of time. Okay, okay, I'm wearing vintage BluBlocker glasses, but they work and I can wear them in public because apparently they are trendy again.

In short, reading a normal, old-school book is apparently healthier for you than reading digitally, at least that where the evidence, and common sense, seems to point.

Last edited:

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would think the extra stimulation from the tablet would cause some sort of disruption to your absorption of the reading material... like the light (blue light??) maybe subconsciously looking at the top to see if any messages or something comes through, things like that?
edit @Brocodeout69 looks like I was kinda right (posted at same time) haha

Brocodeout69

Brocodeout69

Awards
I would think the extra stimulation from the tablet would cause some sort of disruption to your absorption of the reading material... like the light (blue light??) maybe subconsciously looking at the top to see if any messages or something comes through, things like that?
It quite literally does. Reading digitally is more distracting, and on average people spend more time shifting around a page, or device, than they do straight up reading. This is really apparent in kids.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Actually there is a big different, so your assumption is spot on.

Here's the Cliffs (for anyone interested):

-Reading on a traditional medium like a book versus some digital format allows for better information comprehension, recall & retention. See here.

-Reading a book is MUCH easier on the easy, physically speaking. When you read something digital you literally blink less. If you have kids, or are around kids while on devices, you'll probably have already noticed this... they don't really blink and this is terrible on the eyes. See here.

-Then we have the issues of blue light which is emitted from all electronic screens. There is increasing evidence that blue light can permanently change the structure of the eye, specifically the retinas, which can lead to an acceleration of age-related macular degeneration. See here. Relatedly, specifically for us fitness junkies, blue light negatively effects the circadian rhythm and disrupts the natural production of melatonin. I actually wear blue light blocking glasses whenever I'm on a screen for a long period of time. Okay, okay, I'm wearing vintage BluBlocker glasses, but they work and I can wear them in public because apparently they are trendy again.

In short, reading a normal, old-school book is apparently healthier for you than reading digitally, at least that where the evidence, and common sense, seems to point.
Also I am loving the comments lads, I needed this
It quite literally does. Reading digitally is more distracting, and on average people spend more time shifting around a page, or device, than they do straight up reading. This is really apparent in kids.

This has grown to be my assumption but I've found the guys around here to usually be quite knowledgeable and I don't throw out my thoughts as facts without being able to back it up, I appreciate the confirmation!

lift weights, eat food, get big, get strong <-- I know this to be true, but I also have science to explain it
read paper book = better than digital <-- I felt this to be true but had not been aware of the science to explain it!

Brocodeout69

Brocodeout69

Awards
This has grown to be my assumption but I've found the guys around here to usually be quite knowledgeable and I don't throw out my thoughts as facts without being able to back it up, I appreciate the confirmation!

lift weights, eat food, get big, get strong <-- I know this to be true, but I also have science to explain it
read paper book = better than digital <-- I felt this to be true but had not been aware of the science to explain it!
Right on! Totally get it.

Interestingly, the uber-rich, you know the type who send their kids to really prestigious schools, like The New School or The Lexington School, have a curriculum totally devoid of ANY electronic devices.

It's ironic, public schools push electronics on kids, while elite, private schools ban them.

Brocodeout69

Brocodeout69

Awards
I was a B Dalton bookseller, same company as B&N, and our store was in the mall. It was super quiet, not a ton of foot traffic, usually only had like 2-4 people working the whole store at any given time. I had a great time, started dating one of the girls there. It was super chill, but there was just no future there.

No disrespect to anyone who might sell books for a living, it's just not enough money to make a real living (esp in cali), and even though money has never been the most important factor for me in choosing where to work, it still ultimately is a factor. Part of me still misses those quiet evenings sorting books and putting things back in their place, and getting advanced copies of Stephen King novels.
Right on. My B&N was not chill. I live in rural Pennsylvania, and worked at B&N before the internet was omnipresent, so book retailers were still a very popular thing.

The B&N was located in a more populated area of my small corner of backwood PA, was a huge, separate building, with copious reading areas, an oversized & ridiculous coffee bar and lots of pretense (especially, given our rural locale). It's hard to be sophisticated when you live next to hundreds of acres of cornfield and little else. Don't get me wrong, I still live here & love it, but sophisticated we are not.

It was always loud and crazy. We would actually have elderly caretakers, like their own children for example, drop off their old folks and leave them, while they shopped or did whatever. Needless to say, this caused lots of issues. Kids just came to hang out, as did hipsters before that was a thing, and we had a massive issue with shoplifting.

I envy the chillness of your B. Dalton's!

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have started reading A Game of Thrones a couple of days ago, only a few pages a night to get into it... I seem to be able to focus a little bit more during the day already, I want to get a red light to use as my reading light, does anyone use one?

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have started reading A Game of Thrones a couple of days ago, only a few pages a night to get into it... I seem to be able to focus a little bit more during the day already, I want to get a red light to use as my reading light, does anyone use one?
I've heard that Roxanne has been known to turn on the red light.

.... But in all seriousness, no ... I don't use a red light

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

I did it once, but all these guys kept climbing in through my windows. I have heard it can be beneficial with reading though for information retention and relaxation

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I did it once, but all these guys kept climbing in through my windows. I have heard it can be beneficial with reading though for information retention and relaxation
I've never tried it.

..... For either reason.
LOL
:)