body fat scales?

berazzled

berazzled

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone used them?are they accurate?if not how can i measure body fat%?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't trust them at all. They probably don't take into account water weight or muscle mass.

berazzled

berazzled

Awards
  • Established
Im not sure how to measure fat %.i lost about 45 lbs after stopping drinking beer 1 year and 7 months ago.now i want to gain more muscle.im a fairly big looking 180 but want to be around 195.just not fat!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't trust it. The only one I trust is the one where u get in a tank and it measures ur bmi and gives u body fat percentage.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

dozersmash

Awards
I had one that as long as you measured at the same time everyday (usually morning after urination before drinking any water) and it was consistent to itself. We got a new one which is not even that (an Omron so maybe stay away from those). These things are notoriously inaccurate and can be off by a couple percentage points. However, if it is consistent it's not a bad way to make sure you are trending down. While the tank method is most accurate, they aren't convenient. The cheapest most convenient are probably body calipers and taping yourself. And of course the mirror test. Body fat percentage is not the be all end all since it's ultimately how you look that matters. Some people will look more shredded at higher percentages. BF can just be another metric like the scale to make sure you are meeting or trending towards your goals. So my suggestion get one but don't spend to much money on one.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
DEXA scan is the best. The body fat scales from the shops are hilarious! 16% bf one minute, 25% bf the next..

jaces

jaces

Awards
use the mirror.. best thing if your not a competig athlete

David147

Awards
Most body fat scales i have seen are plus or minus 5-10% so for some one your size that can be a big difference...