BigPete

tattoopierced1

I read in one of your posts that you drink rice milk, so I decided to give it a shot. I picked some up over the weekend and tried it out, and it is IMO, a ton better than regular milk in taste. Thanks for posting that or I would have never thought about trying it out.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No problem, brother.. :thumbsup:

Go to an organic grocery and try afew others:

Pacific almond and oat milk.. Almond milk is a rice/almond blend, good nutty kick to chocolate whey.. The oat milk is pretty good on fiber, smooth yet slight thickness to it..

Rice Dream Horchata.. Rice milk with cinnamon, very tasty!! :)

tattoopierced1

i had the rice dream enriched regular flavor...very tastey. not a big fan of any type of nuts, so i think i'll stay away from the almond stuff...

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Hey Pete, any idea what the GI of rice milk is? I'm guessing the one with fiber wouldn't be bad.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Good idea to check on that, since it's made of milled brown rice my guess was low GI.. Check your PM, Beo.. ;)

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but you aren't getting the same protein benefit from rice milk.

Plant-based proteins are horrible. Barely any of the stuff is usable by the human body. In some cases, only 20% of so actually get's used and the other 80% is tossed. On top of that, plant proteins are deficient in a number of essential amino acids.

Cow milk on the otherhand has not only extremely bioavailable protein, the protein is more balanced and complete as far as amino acid spectrum goes.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I consume about 3/8 gallon of skim milk daily, but I am concerned about the antibiotics, gh, etc that is supposedly in milk. I hear you on the plant protein, Null, which is why I don't even count plant proteins. But some knowledgeable people seem to think it is silly to completely discredit plant proteins. I know vegan/vegetarian bodybuilders have to combine proteins to get the full spectrum of aminos.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but you aren't getting the same protein benefit from rice milk.

Plant-based proteins are horrible. Barely any of the stuff is usable by the human body. In some cases, only 20% of so actually get's used and the other 80% is tossed. On top of that, plant proteins are deficient in a number of essential amino acids.

Cow milk on the otherhand has not only extremely bioavailable protein, the protein is more balanced and complete as far as amino acid spectrum goes.
I figured as much, but then again I use my rice milk to mix my protein shakes.. No matter what % milkfat I used with cow milk, I'd bloat and it took forever to lean out.. Minus cow milk and add rice milk, I'm not holding as much water, and I'm actually able to stay slightly leaner while bulking.. :thumbsup:

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good point, if it is simply used as a carrier for your Whey protein, then that's totally cool.

When I mix my protein shakes, I like that the milk itself adds another 10g of good protein as well, but I wouldn't cry if that protein wasn't there. Only reason I don't use water most of the time is because protein shakes taste horrible with water.

tattoopierced1

thats all i use the rice milk for is protein shakes...i think it actually makes them taste better...almost sweet...

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Oh I agree with the whey/water thing.. :ntome:

I tend to make my shakes with 40-50g whey or blends (Probolic SR), so adding them to regular milk makes me bloat up horribly.. Rice milk tends to blend smooth, so I'm still feeling the shake yet no gas/bloat/brick to unload.. ;)

My main fluids for the day are water and green tea, I rarely ever drink rice milk on its own, even though it's good that way too..

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Rice dream vanilla is my favorite. It is great with a large bowl of oatmeal and cinnamon. Even better imo in shakes. I am going to have to look out for the cinnamon flavored. That sounds great. Chocolate is good to especially with your shakes. My dad used to make almond milk when I was a kid and it was really good too. Reason I don't drink too much milk is because of the whole bloat/gas thing. I used to drink a half gallon of milk throughout the morning at work and literally could rip ass every2-3 minutes. Nobody liked me:sad:

punta

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ive always wanted to try it, wasnt really sure if id like it. I guess since everyones giving it good feedback ill give it a go.

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
So what is the carb, protein and fat ratio of this rice milk?

punta

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well I picked some up today kind of high in sugar from what I noticed.
Serv Size: 8 oz / Cup
Cals 130
Fat 2
Sugar 12
forgot carbs :\

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It's mainly a carb source.. since it's from brown rice, the sugars are gonna be low in comparison to total carbs.. I believe in an 8oz serving it's 25g total carbs with 12g sugar (rice syrup).. Still better than empty calorie sugars found in alot of cheap gainers.. **cough(Weider/GNC)cough** :nutkick:

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No problem, brother.. :thumbsup:

Go to an organic grocery and try afew others:

Pacific almond and oat milk.. Almond milk is a rice/almond blend, good nutty kick to chocolate whey.. The oat milk is pretty good on fiber, smooth yet slight thickness to it..

Rice Dream Horchata.. Rice milk with cinnamon, very tasty!! :)
Yum... The better half makes home made Horchata for me... That **** is a treat. So DAMN good.

Adams

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I've never bought rice milk, how is it on price compared to cow's milk?

tattoopierced1

its a bit more expensive. I think I paid $3.xx for a quart whereas I can get a gallon of cows milk for $2.32