beta-alanine

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Great post about BA. Was interested in it and was trying to decide whether to get the 100g or 500g bulk from NP. It seems to be a bit more useful for longer sets of 12-15, whereas I usually do 8 -10 , but I think it will still be quite useful. Going to try combining it with CEE and some CM and see how it goes.
Thank you. :)

Beta-Alanine's strength is in the 7-8 rep range and above, but it will effect your reps even earlier on. Alot of people don't understand how Beta-Alanine works and think, it works by buffering lactic acid, which is not accurate.

Based on this misunderstanding of its mechanism of action, people think it will only help in the rep ranges where you are feeling the lactic acid burn. This is not the case though. :)

BTW, I responded to your PM!:cool:

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive been on it a while now 6.4 grams per day. Im going to keep taking this intill the end of this week then bump it down to 3.4 grams per day. Thats why I didnt apply to test it for your co Edge for you because Im already on, didnt want to stop it, would have loved to tested for you Atheletic Edge N; however feel free to send it my way because happly take it off your hands.

BioMan,think it was you that said anti-aging possiblitlies. I took some pictures yesterday and unless its another factor, skin seems to look better and younger. Just wanted to point this out.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thank you. :)

Beta-Alanine's strength is in the 7-8 rep range and above, but it will effect your reps even earlier on. Alot of people don't understand how Beta-Alanine works and think, it works by buffering lactic acid, which is not accurate.

Based on this misunderstanding of its mechanism of action, people think it will only help in the rep ranges where you are feeling the lactic acid burn. This is not the case though. :)

BTW, I responded to your PM!:cool:
Beta Alanine works even in your One Rep Max. I did a clean 365 Dead last week. This week Ill try 385.

Zoolander

Awards
how long have you been taking Ba?
Probably for about 6 months. Keep in mind I am not a "serious" bodybuilder, but I do train seriously enough to know that BA is not going to blow you up in strength or size.

I got perhaps a 5% gain in strength, no real effect on fat loss, muscles do stay a little fuller but nothing spectacular.

My reason for using it..antiaging possibilities and it just makes me feel good and recover a wee bit faster.

It's a good supp...just not as miraculous as that article claims.
re. your changes and tracking it back to BA supplementation.....well a 5% gain in strength and no real change in fat could happen without supplementation. So I wouldn't jump to conclusions and say that BA is working.

re. using for antiaging....well if you are talking about minmising buiold up of endpoint gycation products then carnosine or even better histidine are more effective

Life Sci. 2004 Jul 30;75(11):1379-89.

Anti-crosslinking properties of carnosine: significance of histidine.

* Hobart LJ,
* Seibel I,
* Yeargans GS,
* Seidler NW.

Department of Biochemistry, University of Health Sciences, 1750 Independence Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64106-1453, USA.

Carnosine, a histidine-containing dipeptide, is a potential treatment for Alzheimer's disease. There is evidence that carnosine prevents oxidation and glycation, both of which contribute to the crosslinking of proteins; and protein crosslinking promotes beta-amyloid plaque formation. It was previously shown that carnosine has anti-crosslinking activity, but it is not known which of the chemical constituents are responsible. We tested the individual amino acids in carnosine (beta-alanine, histidine) as well as modified forms of histidine (alpha-acetyl-histidine, 1-methyl-histidine) and methylated carnosine (anserine) using glycation-induced crosslinking of cytosolic aspartate aminotransferase as our model. beta-Alanine showed anti-crosslinking activity but less than that of carnosine, suggesting that the beta-amino group is required in preventing protein crosslinking. Interestingly, histidine, which has both alpha-amino and imidazolium groups, was more effective than carnosine. Acetylation of histidine's alpha-amino group or methylation of its imidazolium group abolished anti-crosslinking activity. Furthermore, methylation of carnosine's imidazolium group decreased its anti-crosslinking activity. The results suggest that histidine is the representative structure for an anti-crosslinking agent, containing the necessary functional groups for optimal protection against crosslinking agents. We propose that the imidazolium group of histidine or carnosine may stabilize adducts formed at the primary amino group.

PMID: 15234195 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
re. your changes and tracking it back to BA supplementation.....well a 5% gain in strength and no real change in fat could happen without supplementation. So I wouldn't jump to conclusions and say that BA is working.

re. using for antiaging....well if you are talking about minmising buiold up of endpoint gycation products then carnosine or even better histidine are more effective
Beta Alanine is just as effective as takign Carnosine or Histidine at raising Carnosine levels.

Zoolander

Awards
well that is not what the study I referred to concluded. Subjective versus objective

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
well that is not what the study I referred to concluded. Subjective versus objective
That Study says that Hist is better than Car. It says nothing about Beta Alanine. Ba has been researched by the Worlds leading Carosine researcher himself to work by raising Car levels and most cost effective.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
There is more performance research on humans with Beta-Alanine showing it increases performance(strength, power, endurance), than any other supplement except for creatine, it clearly works.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did 385 very easily last week. Strength has increased. This week takign a week break. I have completed my first month of Ba supplementation at 6.4 grams per day. Now the dose is at 3.2 grams per day. The first month has been incredible. and researchers say its most effective in ten months. I dont think there is no need to cycle it.(sure if you dont have the money and have to wait intill you have the money to order I can understand, thats why Money IS IMPORTANT to have) but I think this is a staple supplement along with creatine.

I plan to try 405 coming up in my next training routine. Of course, all other factors have to be in plave for this to work effectively.

whatever you are curious about ask

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did 385 very easily last week. Strength has increased. This week takign a week break. I have completed my first month of Ba supplementation at 6.4 grams per day. Now the dose is at 3.2 grams per day. The first month has been incredible. and researchers say its most effective in ten months. I dont think there is no need to cycle it.(sure if you dont have the money and have to wait intill you have the money to order I can understand, thats why Money IS IMPORTANT to have) but I think this is a staple supplement along with creatine.

I plan to try 405 coming up in my next training routine. Of course, all other factors have to be in plave for this to work effectively.

This is why many people will bother to argue that BA is better than creatine ;) However, the combination of the two is just inimitable! Congrats with the new PRs man, keep it going.

Skircus7

Skircus7

constant recomp
Awards
  • Established

10 months? I am sure you were thinking 10 weeks :)

"The longest performance studies on BA, are in the 10-12 week range,with CARN levels continuing to increase up to 80% by week 12 as do performance improvements. There really haven't been any performance studies that go longer than 12 weeks, so it hard to know if there will be anymore benefit to taking BA beyond that point. At this point, based on the research we recommend anyone interested in maximizing IntraXCell/Beta-Alanine's benefits, to go on atleast a three month cycle."

Beta-Alanine INFORMATION

BUT....congrats on your PR's and your first month on BA! It's awesome stuff! :head:

peece

peece

Awards
  • Established
After 45 minutes the flush subsides which is great as it got to the point I was putting on some of my wifes make up as my nose as it would turn as bright as Rudolphs LOL.

anybody have an idea why the BA would cause a flush in the face? Is it simply more circulation?

peece

peece

Awards
  • Established
Just curious, has anyone else experienced the flush/redness in the face as a side?

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
i haven't noticed any facial flushes, sometimes a flush on my arms etc

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Have you noticed this to subside with use? Also, does it generally occur for about the first 45 mins after you take it?

Curious, as an "awesome" flush, is there some benefit to this?

incarnate gives me an awesome flush

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
Have you noticed this to subside with use? Also, does it generally occur for about the first 45 mins after you take it?

it does subside with use, or if I take a lil food with it.I take it with poseidon so its enhanced too.
By awesome, i meant a strong flush, no there is no benefit, just feels cool, the benefit is the extra couple of reps I get every workout!

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established

Taken from the IXL article in MD:

What is the prickling I feel
when I first take IntraXCell?

"The prickling is caused by beta-alanine activating
nerves underneath the skin, causing them to
discharge/fire, and producing a prickling sensation. This
sensation begins approximately 15-20 minutes after
ingesting beta-alanine, and usually continues for 1 to 1
1/2 hours. This sensation, though generally enjoyed by
many people, subsides over a few weeks of continued
use. Carbohydrates may also blunt the prickling effect
from beta-alanine and can increase beta-alanine’s ability
to boost carnosine levels. Thus, I recommend taking
IntraXCell with carbohydrates."

Couple things of note, first there is no "benefit" to the "awesome flush" you've spoken of other than it proves the product is working. The sensation that comes from BA post consumption is merely a bi product of it working. Also if this bothers you I have found that consuming a dose of IXL after eating dulls the sensation significantly. I've been using IXL for about 6 weeks now and I still get the sensation every time I consume it.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive gone though Nutraplanet's bulk Ba 200 tablets and on my third baggy. So Ive been on 8-9 weeks. After my first five-six weeks I dropped the dose down to 3.2 mgs per day. I am cutting and gained strength and weight without any anabolics. Of course nutrition , sleep heavy training play into this but two of the bigger things are Beta Alanaine and of course creatine. (also contributed are Luecine, Nac postraining)

I recently bumped the dose up to 4.8 per day(3 caps) and this seems to work better than 3.2 at the moment.

Skircus7

Skircus7

constant recomp
Awards
  • Established
Ive gone though Nutraplanet's bulk Ba 200 tablets and on my third baggy. So Ive been on 8-9 weeks. After my first five-six weeks I dropped the dose down to 3.2 mgs per day. I am cutting and gained strength and weight without any anabolics. Of course nutrition , sleep heavy training play into this but two of the bigger things are Beta Alanaine and of course creatine. (also contributed are Luecine, Nac postraining)

I recently bumped the dose up to 4.8 per day(3 caps) and this seems to work better than 3.2 at the moment.
Glad to hear another BA success story!......all you have to do is try BA, and you will be hooked for life!!!!! :D :head:

:djparty:

NKWulfAEN

AEN Hobbit Rep/Sniper
Awards
Glad to hear another BA success story!......all you have to do is try BA, and you will be hooked for life!!!!! :D :head:

:djparty:
thats an understatment.

I am getting stuff together for my move and have a spot in my bag set aside for my IXL and SE.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Effects of beta-alanine supplementation on exercise performance during a competitive wrestling season: An 8-week open label study.

Kern BD, Robinson TL, Manninen AH. Physical Education Department, Center High School, 500 S. Broadway Center, Colorado 81125, USA.

Abstract

Background: The goal of wrestlers during a competitive season is to maintain or lose body weight without compromising athletic performance. However, some studies have reported decrements in exercise performance associated with weight loss and/or the strain of a competitive season. The purpose of this study, therefore, was to examine the effects of 8 week beta-alanine (β-ala) supplementation on exercise performance in Division II collegiate wrestlers during a competitive season. Methods: 25 college wrestlers (age 18 to 22 y) volunteered to participate in this study, and 18 subjects (mean BMI 24.7 ± 3.7) completed the study. Each participant ingested 4 g/d of β-ala in an open-label manner during the final eight weeks of their competitive season. The subjects followed a standard training protocol for collegiate wrestling as dictated by the head coach. They were also required to maintain uniform body mass during the entire eight weeks, as per weight bracket allowance during the competitive season. Before and after supplementation, subjects performed a 400 m sprint and 90 degree flexed-arm hang to exhaustion. Immediately prior to and following the pre treatment and post treatment 400 m sprint, subjects blood lactate was taken via finger stick and analyzed to determine lactate increase during the 400 m sprint. Results: The subjects showed significant decrease (p<0.01) in 400 m sprint time (– 3.5 s ± 2.4 s, mean ± SD) and significant increase (p<0.01) in 90 degree flexed-arm hang (+ 8.5 s ± 8.35 s, mean ± SD). No significant change (p>0.05) in blood lactate values were observed. Conclusion:The results of our study suggest that supplementation of β-ala may improve exercise performance in wrestlers during a competitive season. Because of the design of this experiment, it is impossible to identify exactly how much of the positive effects experienced by the subjects was a direct result of the supplementation. However, due to the large increase in performance and the similarity of results in comparison to other β-ala studies, we feel our study strongly suggests efficacy of β-ala supplementation. The ergogenic effects of β-ala supplementation during a competitive wrestling season needs to be confirmed in placebo-controlled trials.

Acknowledgments: Athletic Edge Nutrition donated the products and ~150 US dollars for lactate measurements. No other funding was received. The authors declare that they have no competing interests.

For anyone who just wants the key points of the study:

1. Study showed huge increases in Anaerobic Strength, Power & Muscular Endurance.
2. IntraXCell was used,but this applies to any pure BA supplying 4g of Beta-Alanine a day
2. 18 College wrestlers were used
3. Study went for 8 weeks

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive been on it about ten weeks now. Beta Alanine is awesome. Hows that for a review

json75

Awards
Smeton, I read in one of your posts that the pic in you avatar is when you were on a SD cycle. And that you plan on staying natural from now on..... Anyhow' im curious how youve been coming along with strength and size since your SD cycle.

Do you feel as tho youve been able to maintain, or even perhaps surpass your gains post SD?

If so, please tell me what you find to be the most helpfull supplements in succeeding without the aid of harsh or illegal anabolics.

Im inquiring because I'll be coming off a cyp only cycle that I've been on for to long......

Congrats on staying natural!! I belive its harder now more than it ever was.....seeing as how you can go into a local supplement store and buy Epistane and the like.

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Effects of beta-alanine supplementation on exercise performance during a competitive wrestling season: An 8-week open label study.

Kern BD, Robinson TL, Manninen AH. Physical Education Department, Center High School, 500 S. Broadway Center, Colorado 81125, USA.

Abstract

Background: The goal of wrestlers during a competitive season is to maintain or lose body weight without compromising athletic performance. However, some studies have reported decrements in exercise performance associated with weight loss and/or the strain of a competitive season. The purpose of this study, therefore, was to examine the effects of 8 week beta-alanine (β-ala) supplementation on exercise performance in Division II collegiate wrestlers during a competitive season. Methods: 25 college wrestlers (age 18 to 22 y) volunteered to participate in this study, and 18 subjects (mean BMI 24.7 ± 3.7) completed the study. Each participant ingested 4 g/d of β-ala in an open-label manner during the final eight weeks of their competitive season. The subjects followed a standard training protocol for collegiate wrestling as dictated by the head coach. They were also required to maintain uniform body mass during the entire eight weeks, as per weight bracket allowance during the competitive season. Before and after supplementation, subjects performed a 400 m sprint and 90 degree flexed-arm hang to exhaustion. Immediately prior to and following the pre treatment and post treatment 400 m sprint, subjects blood lactate was taken via finger stick and analyzed to determine lactate increase during the 400 m sprint. Results: The subjects showed significant decrease (p<0.01) in 400 m sprint time (– 3.5 s ± 2.4 s, mean ± superdrol) and significant increase (p<0.01) in 90 degree flexed-arm hang (+ 8.5 s ± 8.35 s, mean ± superdrol). No significant change (p>0.05) in blood lactate values were observed. Conclusion:The results of our study suggest that supplementation of β-ala may improve exercise performance in wrestlers during a competitive season. Because of the design of this experiment, it is impossible to identify exactly how much of the positive effects experienced by the subjects was a direct result of the supplementation. However, due to the large increase in performance and the similarity of results in comparison to other β-ala studies, we feel our study strongly suggests efficacy of β-ala supplementation. The ergogenic effects of β-ala supplementation during a competitive wrestling season needs to be confirmed in placebo-controlled trials.

Acknowledgments: Athletic Edge Nutrition donated the products and ~150 US dollars for lactate measurements. No other funding was received. The authors declare that they have no competing interests.

For anyone who just wants the key points of the study:

1. Study showed huge increases in Anaerobic Strength, Power & Muscular Endurance.
2. IntraXCell was used,but this applies to any pure BA supplying 4g of Beta-Alanine a day
2. 18 College wrestlers were used
3. Study went for 8 weeks
Thanks for posting our study. A few key points though.

1. This and other forums, coverts the letters s and d, as in standard deviation to read superdrol. I mention this because, when ever we post this study, people ask us why superdrol was used. :)

2. If you are going to quote the study that IntraXcell was used in and our key point summary at the end, please DO NOT change our words, as you or someone else has done on point two. You of course are entitled to your opinion, but please do not change our words around if you are going to quote us.

Thanks

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have surpassed strength gains in some exercises like the Deadlift. On Superdrol I couldnt get 315 whereas before the cyle I did 350 4 x's. My current Pr is 405 on dead.Conventional. Everything has increased...My diet is a lot better so whats the most important thing...Number UNo.Nutrition knowledge, sleeping eight to ten hours, training heavy. 4-6 rep range. each is equally important but Nutrition knowledge is a must

Supplements that are the best for anabolic free
Creatine ( I do micronized mono, 3 days at 25 grams,, 4 days off for receptors , then receptors suck them up)
Beta Alanine
L-Luecine powder
Nac
A good reputable Multi Vitamin

Good luck with it!

Smeton, I read in one of your posts that the pic in you avatar is when you were on a superdrol cycle. And that you plan on staying natural from now on..... Anyhow' im curious how youve been coming along with strength and size since your SD cycle.

Do you feel as tho youve been able to maintain, or even perhaps surpass your gains post SD?

If so, please tell me what you find to be the most helpfull supplements in succeeding without the aid of harsh or illegal anabolics.

Im inquiring because I'll be coming off a cyp only cycle that I've been on for to long......

Congrats on staying natural!! I belive its harder now more than it ever was.....seeing as how you can go into a local supplement store and buy Epistane and the like.

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
???? do u have to load 1st month to 6grams? i just bought red dragon and it dosent say anything

Skircus7

Skircus7

constant recomp
Awards
  • Established
???? do u have to load 1st month to 6grams? i just bought red dragon and it dosent say anything
No, you do not have to load. If you wanted to, you could take 6g per day for the first 2-4 weeks, and then take a maintenance dose of ~4g per day after that. But it is NOT NECESSARY to load BA :)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive been on Ba for at least 12 weeks. Im taking a week. Been off it about a week.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Supplements that are the best for anabolic free
Creatine ( I do micronized mono, 3 days at 25 grams,, 4 days off for receptors , then receptors suck them up)
Beta Alanine
L-Luecine powder
Nac
A good reputable Multi Vitamin

Good luck with it!
Yep, im glad u are mentioning that because this is my next stack..

STACK
ACTIVATE EXT
RPM
PFULL

ACCESSORIES:

XTEND
BETA-ALANINE
L-LEUCINE
NAC
YELLOW GOLD
MULTI

Kilo1636

Kilo1636

Awards
hows the taste of bulk BA? Would it be beneficial to take a product like incarnate (BA+Histidine) as opposed to bulk BA? forgetting about the cissus of course...

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hows the taste of bulk BA? Would it be beneficial to take a product like incarnate (BA+Histidine) as opposed to bulk BA? forgetting about the cissus of course...
bulk BA has a slight sweet taste and is not hard to take at all in my opinion

Kilo1636

Kilo1636

Awards
has anybody used incarnate/carnage and bulk? (seperately) Are either superior to simple bulk?

hkloss1

Awards
Hello Guys
I'm new to here, have been training for many years but usually using a protein powder, some carbs and a creatine ocasionaly. I can see you are doing a top job in here, I've started researching myself about using diffrent goodies, and wanted to know whether I should use beta - alanine only whille taking a creatine or it can be taken all the time just like carbs and protein powder with maybe smaller doses. The same question I would have regarding taurine.
Thanks

Athletic Edge N

Athletic Edge N

NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
Awards
  • Established
Hello Guys
I'm new to here, have been training for many years but usually using a protein powder, some carbs and a creatine ocasionaly. I can see you are doing a top job in here, I've started researching myself about using diffrent goodies, and wanted to know whether I should use beta - alanine only whille taking a creatine or it can be taken all the time just like carbs and protein powder with maybe smaller doses. The same question I would have regarding taurine.
Thanks

Check this thread out for all your answers, including taurine ect

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/64211-beta-alanine-carnosine.html