Best powerlifting routine?

jramoska

jramoska

Banned
Awards
So I've been training for a couple of years now. I've almost always done a bodybuilding type workouts. These are the workouts where it's like four sets of 8 to 12 with this heavy as big as possible. Around 290b 380d and idk squat cuz of injuries prob around 300/300. What would be a good routine to get into powerlifting? Not sure if those numbers are beginner or intermediate.
Stats:
19 y/o around 204lbs prob like 13-15 body fat and was a competitive swimmer for 12 years. Which is why my numbers aren't good.
Need any other info lemme know all advice is welcome :)

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think there is a one best routine. I do feel if one is not used to doing low or really low reps, or hasn't had much experience, which are in about all PL routines, (in order to get the body used to heavier and heavier loads) along with training the nervous system and strengthening not only the muscles, but the tendons and ligaments, then the more simple the routine is the better, so the trainee can focus on perfecting the forms (especially in the squat and deadlift) with the additional heavy weight being used. The better one can control and stay tight using these exercises, the safer and better one is in the long run.
Simple pyramid programs getting the lifter more adapted to move towards regular heavy work/singles and or even Wendler's 531 might be a decent start. Just more or less concentrating on the 3 big lifts, and then using some extra exercises for say shoulders, back, legs, and arms.
The less complicated at the start, the more one can concentrate on a few basic lifts, form on those lifts, progression and loads.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I dont think there is one "Best" power lifting routine. I myself have been in a quest to find the best for me as well over the last two years. I have documented my progress and goals with different routines on my YouTube channel. Link is in sig if you want to follow along. Currently almost wrapped up with 18 weeks of West Side/Conjugate. So far I have found that I enjoy more of a linear progression.

Brandaddy

Brandaddy

Awards
Basically all of the top guys train differently. Which would tell me there isn't really any best routine, just certain principles to follow. In example,

1. Progressive overload
2. Proper rest and recovery
3. Perfecting your form
4. Making sure you strengthen all of your weak spots.

The list can go on, luckily it's all basically common sense. Ha. Personally I like an adaptive percentage based program because linear progression can be kind of depressing if you fail to hit your numbers. Linear progression is fun if you're continually hitting your numbers.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
5/3/1 is what ive been running for the last 5 years and love it....there are tons of programs to run inside of 5/3/1, u just need to pick one based off of ur goals

jramoska

jramoska

Banned
Awards
5/3/1 is what ive been running for the last 5 years and love it....there are tons of programs to run inside of 5/3/1, u just need to pick one based off of ur goals
Will you explain a bit more? I've heard a bout 531 but isn't everyone's goals the same? To lift as much weight as possible with perfect form

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
Ever try stronglifts 5×5. There's an app and a extensive webpage. Basically you focus of 5 main lifts(bench,squat,overhead press, deadlift, and row). Doing 5 sets of 5. It slowly uses weight progression. It may not be the best program to get cut or totally jacked. But it will absolutely make your core lifts stronger. It's decent if your core lifts are lacking to get you to a respectable weight.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Will you explain a bit more? I've heard a bout 531 but isn't everyone's goals the same? To lift as much weight as possible with perfect form
Not really....some people like me have changed over from that and want to still lift heavy but be more awsomer in day to day life....im following the 5/3/1 2x2x2 program...lift 2 days, stretch 2 days and sprint/hill run/sled drag/lung busting cardio 2 days a week. Its been better for my 41yr old ass....

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everything Paul Black said. 531 was a good start for me.

nattylift545

nattylift545

Awards
Progressive overload maybe do some sort of DUP

enraged_chris

Awards
Gotta find what works for you but I think many raw lifters will say something combining some rotation through heavier work, some higher rep work/speed work followed by higher volume accessory work will usually result in good progress. Now there are a million ways to set up a program like that... find a few good programs (cube, 5/3/1, westside variations, or a number of others) and find what works for you. My programming is a mishmash of things I've found to work over years and it is something that evolves as I evolve as a lifter.