Best of Both Worlds

Kenav

Kenav

Awards
I posted this in the training forum, but thought I would copy paste it over into this one as well....

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to these boards, but I've definitely learned alot in the little time I've spent here, and I would like to start with an advanced "thank you" for all the information you guys provide.

I'm 20 years old, currently 5'10" 165 lbs ~12% body fat (But I think its more, I've been trying to use those stupid online body fat % calculators. My jean size is 32" waist to give an idea...)

I've been trying to lean out as much as possible to get rid of unwanted fat (that seems to accumulate mostly on my chest, sides/lovehandles~the whole "tire around the waist" look, and back). My routine for this has been running 5-6 times a week on the treadmill for 30-40 min.

At the same time, I've been trying to add small amounts of mass to my muscles to try and accentuate how cut my physique looks. I've been lifting 4 times a week, generally combining two muscle groups together (back/bis, chest/tris, shoulders/legs, abs,calves,and obliques after every workout). I try to change it up between light/heavy workouts just to make sure my muscles are always getting shocked.

For the first month (I started when school got out) I was making amazing gains, I lost most of the fat that I gained during spring semester and I was definitely noticing muscle growth and accentuation. Recently, however, I feel like I've definitely hit a plateau and I just don't seem to be making any gains in either the fat loss or muscle growth departments.

So now, after that very long and up till now seemingly pointless shpeel of info....my question is, can I continue to make gains in both fat loss / muscle growth? Or do I need to sacrafice one in order to fully excel in the other? I'm nowhere near the physique I want, and I realize that I'm on a lifelong journey with no real end to it, but I definitely want to lean up a bit more before fall semester starts (4 weeks), and definitely lean up before our first major party of Fall Semester (8-10 weeks given when we get our permit).

Should I just stop lifting heavy and focus on doing more cardio? How would you suggest I alter my training/diet/living routine?
My diet generally goes like this:

10:00 (Wake up): Oatmeal,banana,cup of milk and/or whey protein

--10:30 Go to the gym, lift and run

12:00: whey protein while making lunch

12:30: Lunch. Either: Lean red meat, salmon or tuna, or chicken breast, and some brown rice, and either mixed vegetables or a salad.

3:00: some low fat yogurt and grains/nuts

5:00: Protein Shake

7:00: Dinner. See Lunch.

8:00: A few table spoons of peanut butter, maybe some nuts and grains and a banana/other piece of misc. fruit that I find

9:00 and On I try not to eat anything. Sometimes if I feel that rumbly stomach feeling I eat some yogurt or cottage cheese (esp. before bed b/c of the casein protein).

Generally bed by 12:00 or 1:00. Bad habit of sleeping late, I know, hopefully it gets fixed once school starts .

If needed I can post up a picture of what I look tomorrow late at night (I'm out of town right now, no cell phone haha).

So for anyone who has the patience to read through this, any feedback, information, diet info, and dumb blonde jokes, your time is greatly appreciated.

Any other info you need, I'll be checking back FAR more often than regularly. Canada is ****ing boring.

pizzathehut

pizzathehut

Awards
  • Established
sup bro, yea right now i have just started what you are going through. got the fat stored lower belly side and under my chest. and i was mainly bulking up to see if that would help, but now i know that i need to switch it up to cutting and a diet. i started this week and i will be posting what im doing to see if it help others. i want to change my whole body look, to shave the unwanted fat were its at. my diet consists of what you are doing cept the cottage cheese just can't stomach it. also ive started doing cardio in morning consists of jump rope, punching bag, and speed bag and if i can incorporate running and abs.. going to do abs everyday as well. been prepping all week.. my pic coming either tonight or tomarrow with my specs and what i will be doing. all i know is sleep is a must or u just not going at full stream. also i hit up right now to see if this works.. to keep some gains from my bulking. i switched to doing 7 sets of 12 reps and do 4 exercises maybe 5 if i got time or not hurting by then. I usuyally do single body parts out fo a 4 day split or if week wont let me cause of work.. do a 3 day split full body of high reps. and just waiting to see how this will turn out. hopefully this helps and help eachother on what works and what doesn't to keep in the right direction!

Canadianguy

Canadianguy

Awards
well dude from what i can see ur diet is pretty tight. are u portioning them out? like could u tell me how much protein,carbs and fat are in each meal? his will give u a better idea of how many calories ur taking in.

building muscle and burning fat at the same time is thought of as impossible by most, a very fine line. and imo not gona be very successful without some extra "vitamins".

when u frst start a new training regimen ur gains and fat losses seem to come easy, u indeed hit a plateau. its kind of a doubled edged sword. either burn fat, keep as much muscle as possible, which in turn will make u look more muscular, brining out definition hidden under fat. or if u want bigger stronger muscles , then expect to put on some fat, but hopefully not too much.

Kenav

Kenav

Awards
Yeah I can use the AM built in calorie counter and take a look at the nutritional facts of what I'm eating when I get home tonight/tomorrow morning and post that info up.

I'm trying to supplement my vitamins with things like centrum sport, omega3 supplements, and even things like flax seeds for that added boost of nutrition.

Thanks for all the info however, I'll get you that nutritional info ASAP.