Best BCAA Ratio?

Skyesquared

Skyesquared

Awards
I've seen a hundred thousand different opinions on this subject, so I thought I'd ask for some opinions from you guys. What's the best BCAA ratio for performance/recovery? Can you 'overload' on BCAAs? I'm not asking for the best brand or the best intraworkout product -- I'm asking more from a scientific stand point. In terms of bioavailability/absorption -- capsules vs. powders? Do you typically take them pre, intra, post, or all day long? Is there any legitimacy to adding things like testosterone support or joint support into a BCAA formula? I ask since the quantities usually seem too negligible to have any real impact, but I could be wrong. If possible, I'd like references backing your contributions! Thanks in advance for your input! :)

SkyeSquared

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Best" ratio is yet to be determined scientifically

Skyesquared

Skyesquared

Awards
"Best" ratio is yet to be determined scientifically
I understand that -- which is why I was asking for opinions based on existing studies. I realize there's nothing really conclusive, but I was just curious as to what others had to say and what resources they might have to back it up.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends on who is selling the BCAA's it would seem.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I would say Mother Nature knows best: The Whey I use, per 100g is roughly 2:1:1 (8.8g Leucine, 4.6g Iso-Leucine, 4.4g Valine).

1 Cup (244g) of 3.25% Whole Milk:

Protein & Amino Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving

Leucine
647mg

Isoleucine
403mg

Valine
468mg

Rushie

Awards
I would say Mother Nature knows best: The Whey I use, per 100g is roughly 2:1:1 (8.8g Leucine, 4.6g Iso-Leucine, 4.4g Valine).

1 Cup (244g) of 3.25% Whole Milk:

Protein & Amino Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving

Leucine
647mg

Isoleucine
403mg

Valine
468mg
Nothing more needs to be said, IMHO.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Not scientifically established at this point in time.

However, leucine should always be in a higher ratio (at least 2:1 to the other aminos). And "more" is typically better, but the curve for benefits demonstrates a diminishing return on investment with increased dosages.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
2:1:1 has been used in many studies

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I seem to prefer 4:1:1 but it is hard to say tbh.

yenohregdab

yenohregdab

Awards
I like EAA with a higher Leucine amount. Not because I feel anything and I dont even know if it makes a difference but if there cheap enough then why not. Amino IV has a great profile.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I seem to prefer 4:1:1 but it is hard to say tbh.
I prefer 4:1:1 as well. Although one could really argue all day the benefits of each. They all seem to have their place.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I prefer 4:1:1 as well. Although one could really argue all day the benefits of each. They all seem to have their place.
Ive noticed more benefits from 4:1:1 than 2:1:1. BUT I think it all depends on the individual as well

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Hey, quick question: What's the ratio in IFN Finish Line?

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
I think it depends on total leucine being above a certain dosage at a min. For instance the lower the dose you take of of the mixture, the more it may matter the ratio (say you do 10:1:1, 6g BCAAs........ thats like 5g leucine, 500mg isoleucine, 500mg valine, kinda useless as a "BCAA"_) . Unless my math is off...