Bending the Spoon. Enter the "Shred" Matrix...

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BW, while you may not feel lean, you certainly are. (Just like I know I am lean, but to me it is not lean ENOUGH for me personally).

Just a few facts re bodyfat (BF) from ACSM (2005):
Essential BF: 3-5% (Male), 8-12% (Female)
Elite Athlete BF: 5-10% (Male), 12-15% (Female)
Average BF: 15% (Male), 25.1% (Female)

Even if a female has the SAME sum of 6 (or 8) skinfolds (SF) as a male, she will be a HIGHER BF% (due to the higher essential BF needs, etc.) However, generally speaking, whatever a female is in BF%, if she were a male she would be ~3% BF LESS. So, technically, a female at 10% BF is the 'same' as a male at 7% BF (and a female with the SAME sum of SF as a male is LEANER than he is!
Good post! I knew there was some ratio of men's to women's BF% like that, but did not know what it was precisely. That's good info to know. :)

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have always known that female BF percentages are different than male, but I'd never known the exact ratio that you posted, Rosie. :) That is very helpful to know.

I am quite content with the way my body is right now. I still see room for much improvement, and am still working at my goal of 15-16% BF, but I'm not particularly unhappy with the way I look right now. I feel that I should have a goal to work towards, regarding fitness, at every time in my life. Losing fat just happens to be my current goal. :)

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
If you continue to have goals, you will continue to progress.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Exactly. :) I know for a fact that if I don't have a goal to work towards, I will back slide big time. If I didn't have any goals at all I think I'd be in big trouble.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good post! I knew there was some ratio of men's to women's BF% like that, but did not know what it was precisely. That's good info to know. :)
No worries :)

I have always known that female BF percentages are different than male, but I'd never known the exact ratio that you posted, Rosie. :) That is very helpful to know.

I am quite content with the way my body is right now. I still see room for much improvement, and am still working at my goal of 15-16% BF, but I'm not particularly unhappy with the way I look right now. I feel that I should have a goal to work towards, regarding fitness, at every time in my life. Losing fat just happens to be my current goal. :)
All good. At least you are content with the way your body is; I hate my body at anything LESS than 9% BF (I know; mindsets, as Sean keeps telling me).

And yes, always having a goal or a focus is important; otherwise training etc. becomes willy-nilly.

It's all about making yourself BETTER than you are and moving forward. Goals do that.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No worries :)

All good. At least you are content with the way your body is; I hate my body at anything LESS than 9% BF (I know; mindsets, as Sean keeps telling me).
I'm sure that once you make such amazing progress with fat loss, it is not fun when you gain it back. :(

Who is Sean? A personal trainer perhaps?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm sure that once you make such amazing progress with fat loss, it is not fun when you gain it back. :(

Who is Sean? A personal trainer perhaps?
True. I am rarely >10% BF, so anything more than that feels uncomfortable for me.

Sean is my partner (aka SamBoz19). I don't have a personal trainer, LOL.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
True. I am rarely >10% BF, so anything more than that feels uncomfortable for me.

Sean is my partner (aka SamBoz19). I don't have a personal trainer, LOL.
Ok. :) I don't think I've seen him on the forum, but I'm not on very much either.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok. :) I don't think I've seen him on the forum, but I'm not on very much either.
Yeah he's on the forum (been busy lately, like me, but in my log every now and then). He's an AN rep as well :)