BCAA - Pre Workout or Intra

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Like most people on here, if fasted I would always down half or all of your BCAAs just before working out. For a long session, intra workout BCAAs can improve endurance/reduce fatigue. I make sure my BCAA drink has added electrolytes because I'm always training with intensity and sweating a lot. As a result I definitely recover better and cramp less.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like most people on here, if fasted I would always down half or all of your BCAAs just before working out. For a long session, intra workout BCAAs can improve endurance/reduce fatigue. I make sure my BCAA drink has added electrolytes because I'm always training with intensity and sweating a lot. As a result I definitely recover better and cramp less.
I agree, one of the biggest thing I notice from using BCAA's during training vs's not is the endurance. I dont' notice it all that much when using the Bcaa's but once I stop I notice a big difference. Now I use compete which uses Whey Hydrsolate and has electrolytes. I'm loving it and I also throw in some extra BCAA's

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have one serving pre if I'm fasted and always one serving intra
I'm currently running BCAAs pre and intra mixed with my HBCDs and then I eat a nice meal within an hour post wo.
Is that overkill? I understand positive balance but as of late my DOM's are fairly non existent using scoop intra.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Can someone please link me a study where maximally hitting MPS every 3-4hrs is more beneficial than eating more or less often?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Only study you would find on eating more often than every 3 hours will be some guy on enough drugs to blow up a tank.

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
You should eat 6. More evidence meal frequency MATTERS.

Increased protein intake and meal frequency reduces abdominal fat during energy balance and energy deficit.

AuthorsArciero PJ, et al. Show all Journal
Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Jul;21(7):1357-66. doi: 10.1002/oby.20296. Epub 2013 May 23.

Affiliation
Abstract
OBJECTIVE: Unrefined, complex carbohydrates and lean protein diets are used to combat obesity, although it's unknown whether more frequent meals may improve this response. The effects of consuming traditional (~15%) versus higher (~35%) protein intakes as three or six meals/day on abdominal fat, postprandial thermogenesis (TEM), and cardiometabolic biomarkers in overweight individuals during 28 days of energy balance (BAL) and deficit (NEG), respectively were compared.

DESIGN AND METHODS: Overweight individuals (n = 30) were randomized into three groups: two high-protein groups (35% of energy) consumed as three (HP3) or six (HP6) meals/day and one group consumed three meals/day of a traditional intake (TD3). Following a 5-day baseline control (CON), subjects consumed their respective diets throughout a 56-day intervention consisting of two, 28 day phases: a BAL followed by a NEG phase (75% of energy needs). Total body fat (BF) and abdominal BF (ABF), body weight (BW), TEM, and fasting biomarkers were assessed at the end of CON, BAL, and NEG phases.

RESULTS: BW remained stable throughout CON and BAL in all groups, whereas BF (P < 0.001) and ABF (P < 0.01) decreased in HP groups and lean body mass (LBM) and leptin increased in HP6. Following NEG, BW decreased in all groups. BF, ABF, and leptin decreased in HP groups; LBM remained higher (P < 0.05), and TEM was highest in HP6 (P < 0.05).

CONCLUSIONS: Consuming increased protein (∼35%) more frequently (6×) throughout the day decreases BF and ABF, increases LBM and TEM, and favorably affects adipokines more than current recommendations for macronutrients consumed over three meals/day in overweight individuals during both BAL and NEG.

Copyright © 2013 The Obesity Society.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Jrkeisneisiwjroapehjd jeissniejwlejdne eiwknsisondisowmeoabijje

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
Dietary Protein Distribution Positively
Influences 24-h Muscle Protein Synthesis in
Healthy Adults1

–3
Madonna M. Mamerow,4 Joni A. Mettler,4 Kirk L. English,4 Shanon L. Casperson,6 Emily Arentson-Lantz,4 Melinda Sheffield-Moore,6 Donald K. Layman,7 and Douglas Paddon-Jones4,5*
4Division of Rehabilitation Sciences, 5Department of Nutrition and Metabolism, and 6Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX; and 7Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign, Champaign, IL
Abstract
The RDA for protein describes the quantity that should be consumed daily to meet population needs and to prevent deficiency. Protein consumption in many countries exceeds the RDA; however, intake is often skewed toward the evening meal, whereas breakfast is typically carbohydrate rich and low in protein. We examined the effects of protein distribution on 24-h skeletal muscle protein synthesis in healthy adult men and women (n = 8; age: 36.9 6 3.1 y; BMI: 25.7 6 0.8 kg/ m2). By using a 7-d crossover feeding design with a 30-d washout period, we measured changes in muscle protein synthesis in response to isoenergetic and isonitrogenous diets with protein at breakfast, lunch, and dinner distributed evenly (EVEN; 31.5 6 1.3, 29.9 6 1.6, and 32.7 6 1.6 g protein, respectively) or skewed (SKEW; 10.7 6 0.8, 16.0 6 0.5, and 63.4 6 3.7 g protein, respectively). Over 24-h periods on days 1 and 7, venous blood samples and vastus lateralis muscle biopsy samples were obtained during primed (2.0 mmol/kg) constant infusion [0.06 mmol/(kgmin)] of L-[ring-13C6] phenylalanine. The 24-h mixed muscle protein fractional synthesis rate was 25% higher in the EVEN (0.075 6 0.006%/h) vs. the SKEW (0.056 6 0.006%/h) protein distribution groups (P = 0.003). This pattern was maintained after 7 d of habituation to each diet (EVEN vs. SKEW: 0.077 6 0.006 vs. 0.056 6 0.006%/h; P = 0.001). The consumption of a moderate amount of protein at each meal stimulated 24-h muscle protein synthesis more effectively than skewing protein intake toward the evening meal. J. Nutr. doi: 10.3945/jn.113.185280.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Is that overkill? I understand positive balance but as of late my DOM's are fairly non existent using scoop intra.
IMO and from my experience it is not overkill.

My DOMs have diminished greatly along with improved endurance and recovery since implementing this intra wo nutrition. This also eliminates the need for that post wo shake. I just come home, shower and eat which ends up being about an hour.

I also eat every 2.5-3 hours regardless of studies I have experimented with this over the last three years and this is what works and feels the best for ME.