Ashwagandha, more than an adaptogen

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just quoting myself since it has been a week since taking the KSM-66 and I can say that I notice nothing different than the Himalaya brand I enjoy so much. I still get the same energy and clarity is equal. It tells me that there may be a point where quantity/% of the herb may not continue to show additional benefits.
I'll finish off the bottle and stick with the brand that I have been enjoying.
Have you ever taken ashwagandha without bacopa or anything else? I'm now curious as to how its anxiety reducing qualities compare to bacopa and if I can possibly eliminate bacopa from my stack if ashwagandha provides similar benefits but without the sedation.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, ashwagandha provides more of the anxiety relief, but Bacopa is the brains of the bunch. That is why they work so well together. One calms your nerves and stress and the other brings thoughts and words to the front of your brain and allows you to think and speak without searching for thoughts. Bacopa also has anti anxiety properties as well.

If I were to keep only one, it would be Bacopa.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, ashwagandha provides more of the anxiety relief, but Bacopa is the brains of the bunch. That is why they work so well together. One calms your nerves and stress and the other brings thoughts and words to the front of your brain and allows you to think and speak without searching for thoughts. Bacopa also has anti anxiety properties as well.

I really appreciate your input. Your posts on these two herbs are really what got me started on them and so far they've been better than any other nootropic I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot). Since the percent extract is pretty high for both the bacopa and ashwagandha that I have, I think I'll try reducing my dosage to just one capsule each daily. Probably try bacopa with dinner since I find it sedating and ashwagandha with breakfast since so far I find it more energizing (plus I could use the anxiety relief more during the day at work).

stan08

Awards

In one of your other posts you mentioned taking bacopa, ashwagandha and alpha gpc. If limited funds were an issue, would you take ashwagandha or alpha gpc with bacopa; if increases in focus, memory and energy are desired?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would take ashwagandha and bacopa if funds are limited. Alpha GPC is a fantastic choline source and good for us that workout as it also is shown to raise growth hormone. But if your goal is what you stated, then it is something you could forgo until you had the money. It is fairly expensive, but worth it, imo.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I really appreciate your input. Your posts on these two herbs are really what got me started on them and so far they've been better than any other nootropic I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot). Since the percent extract is pretty high for both the bacopa and ashwagandha that I have, I think I'll try reducing my dosage to just one capsule each daily. Probably try bacopa with dinner since I find it sedating and ashwagandha with breakfast since so far I find it more energizing (plus I could use the anxiety relief more during the day at work).
Super happy for you. It is nice when you find something that truly works.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Super happy for you. It is nice when you find something that truly works.
Definitely. Bacopa has almost completely eliminated my anxiety. Since taking it I rarely blush, sweat and have a nervous stammer in social situations (which used to happen often). And so far ashwagandha has eliminated the minor negative aspects I experienced with bacopa (mood and energy). I just wish I'd started these years ago but better late than never. :)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep! So, to put it in perspective. In my career, I am a Critical Case Manager for a fortune 1000 company. My day to day requires me to sit in front of executives and present analysis, updates, and essentially save multi million dollar deals. Then in the background, I have to get groups of people that do not want to work together, to work together for a common goal. Stress is through the roof all the time and doesn't end once the day is done.

Without getting dramatic, Ashwagandha and bacopa saved my sanity. I feel like a normal person that can think straight and not dwell on the next meeting. Plus, my presentation skills have improved 100%. I walk out of meetings that I just delivered terrible news in, with people slapping me on the back and shaking my hand. I never appear stressed or lacking in delivery of my message, which is experience, but there is no denying that these adaptogens have brought me to another level.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's awesome. It's crazy how effective these herbs are for those with anxiety problems.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would take ashwagandha and bacopa if funds are limited. Alpha GPC is a fantastic choline source and good for us that workout as it also is shown to raise growth hormone. But if your goal is what you stated, then it is something you could forgo until you had the money. It is fairly expensive, but worth it, imo.
What effect did you notice from adding alpha gpc to the stack?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I didn't add it, I have been taking for about 10 years now.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does Ashwagandha need to be cycled since it may act as a gaba antagonist?

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Does Ashwagandha need to be cycled since it may act as a gaba antagonist?
Some people say yes, some say no, so I take a month off after 4 months on to be safe. I'm at the end of one of those months now...really looking forward to getting back on it.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some people say yes, some say no, so I take a month off after 4 months on to be safe. I'm at the end of one of those months now...really looking forward to getting back on it.
Yeah, I've read different opinions on many sites as to whether it needs to be cycled. It's just been working so well with bacopa that I hate to stop taking it for a period of time (it and bacopa are the only things I've found in the last 20+ years that have greatly reduced my social anxiety) . So, I thought I'd check and see if others on here have successfully used it long term without any breaks.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I've read different opinions on many sites as to whether it needs to be cycled. It's just been working so well with bacopa that I hate to stop taking it for a period of time (it and bacopa are the only things I've found in the last 20+ years that have greatly reduced my social anxiety) . So, I thought I'd check and see if others on here have successfully used it long term without any breaks.
According to the makers of Sensoril, it is safe to take year-round. I think most people would recommend cycling almost anything as a general precaution, but if the effects aren't changing and you don't feel the need, then it's totally your call. I know I have really been missing it and am excited to get back on it at the end of the week.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
According to the makers of Sensoril, it is safe to take year-round. I think most people would recommend cycling almost anything as a general precaution, but if the effects aren't changing and you don't feel the need, then it's totally your call. I know I have really been missing it and am excited to get back on it at the end of the week.
I wonder how much it also depends on the dose. I believe sensoril recommends only 125 mg (at 8%) twice each day. Some days I'm taking almost twice that (depending on how stressful the day is) of the ksm-66 brand.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
I wonder how much it also depends on the dose. I believe sensoril recommends only 125 mg (at 8%) twice each day. Some days I'm taking almost twice that (depending on how stressful the day is) of the ksm-66 brand.
Sensoril is dosed at 225mg, but I don't know if it is recommended to take it twice a day. If taking it during the day, ksm-66 is probably better as it should be less sedating. At nighttime, sensoril would probably be a better bet. No reason not to do ksm during the day and sensoril at night if you dose twice per day, though. Luckily it's a cheap supplement so you can experiment. Also I think I heard that sensoril raised their standardization to 10%...I will be trying it for the first time in a few days and I am excited. So far I have only used the NOW brand.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sensoril is dosed at 225mg, but I don't know if it is recommended to take it twice a day. If taking it during the day, ksm-66 is probably better as it should be less sedating. At nighttime, sensoril would probably be a better bet. No reason not to do ksm during the day and sensoril at night if you dose twice per day, though. Luckily it's a cheap supplement so you can experiment. Also I think I heard that sensoril raised their standardization to 10%...I will be trying it for the first time in a few days and I am excited. So far I have only used the NOW brand.
Is that the jarrow brand of sensoril? I tried that a while back and believe it was 225 mg of sensoril taken just once each day. Some other providers of sensoril capsule them at 125 mg and recommend two each both (both working out to around the same dose). The problem I have with sensoril is that it's both leaves and root. I've read that it's better to just use an extract from the root. However, I don't recall the reasoning for that recommendation (or if it was made by makers of the root only extracts...which would be a little biased). I could be wrong but I think the now brand (like ksm-66) also uses root only extracts.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Is that the jarrow brand of sensoril? I tried that a while back and believe it was 225 mg of sensoril taken just once each day. Some other providers of sensoril capsule them at 125 mg and recommend two each both (both working out to around the same dose). The problem I have with sensoril is that it's both leaves and root. I've read that it's better to just use an extract from the root. However, I don't recall the reasoning for that recommendation (or if it was made by makers of the root only extracts...which would be a little biased). I could be wrong but I think the now brand (like ksm-66) also uses root only extracts.
Yeah it's leaves and root. There are a couple of reasons why some people don't recommend that. The first is that traditionally people would only eat root powder. The second is that the leaves have higher concentrations of one specific compound that some people think can be harmful. Sensoril is extracted to contain very little of that compound, though, and is very widely used so I am going to try it. Also, you are right, I have the Jarrow formula with 225mg. Still haven't tried it but I am psyched.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah it's leaves and root. There are a couple of reasons why some people don't recommend that. The first is that traditionally people would only eat root powder. The second is that the leaves have higher concentrations of one specific compound that some people think can be harmful. Sensoril is extracted to contain very little of that compound, though, and is very widely used so I am going to try it. Also, you are right, I have the Jarrow formula with 225mg. Still haven't tried it but I am psyched.
The Jarrow sensoril brand was excellent if you're looking for a more sedated feeling (as opposed to a more calm, energy which I experience with the ksm-66 brand). I only take ksm-66 because I needed a brand that was more energizing to help offset the sedation I experience with bacopa. If I wasn't taking bacopa, then I might prefer the sensoril brand instead.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
The Jarrow sensoril brand was excellent if you're looking for a more sedated feeling (as opposed to a more calm, energy which I experience with the ksm-66 brand). I only take ksm-66 because I needed a brand that was more energizing to help offset the sedation I experience with bacopa. If I wasn't taking bacopa, then I might prefer the sensoril brand instead.
Man I just picked up bacopa and am excited to try it. I know it has energizing effects for some and sedating for others, so I want to wait until the weekend to give it a try. I got a giant tub of rhodiola as well and tried it with my PWO and in the morning...realized it relaxes me but doesn't energize me. Then I tried it pre-bed...turns out it also keeps me up at night. I'm sure I will find a good way to use it, though.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man I just picked up bacopa and am excited to try it. I know it has energizing effects for some and sedating for others, so I want to wait until the weekend to give it a try. I got a giant tub of rhodiola as well and tried it with my PWO and in the morning...realized it relaxes me but doesn't energize me. Then I tried it pre-bed...turns out it also keeps me up at night. I'm sure I will find a good way to use it, though.
Bacopa is by far my favorite nootropic (and I've taken pretty much everything). The focus and reduction in anxiety it provides is great. It and ashwagandha will forever form the base on my daily stacks. I've used rhodiola in the past and really liked it too. Lower doses (250 mg or less) definitely provided energy (or eliminated my tiredness) in the morning and higher doses (500 mg) provided a little sedation and helped a lot with anxiety. I just added vinpocetine a couple days ago to see if that improves my focus and brain fog even more (which bacopa has definitely helped a lot).

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Bacopa is by far my favorite nootropic (and I've taken pretty much everything). The focus and reduction in anxiety it provides is great. It and ashwagandha will forever form the base on my daily stacks. I've used rhodiola in the past and really liked it too. Lower doses (250 mg or less) definitely provided energy (or eliminated my tiredness) in the morning and higher doses (500 mg) provided a little sedation and helped a lot with anxiety. I just added vinpocetine a couple days ago to see if that improves my focus and brain fog even more (which bacopa has definitely helped a lot).
Man I didn't even think about that. I just popped 200mg rhodiola to see if that works better. Thanks for the tip!

What strength bacopa do you use and what dose? I have a bunch of bulk powder 20% and am definitely excited about it.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man I didn't even think about that. I just popped 200mg rhodiola to see if that works better. Thanks for the tip!

What strength bacopa do you use and what dose? I have a bunch of bulk powder 20% and am definitely excited about it.
No problem. That was actually information kisaj provided in another thread which I also found to be true through my own use of rhodiola.

I was using a brand of bacopa which contained 225 mg of 50% extract (bacomind) and 275 mg of 20% extract in each capsule. I took that twice each day. That worked really well. However, I began to wonder if similar to rhodiola, the high dose in each capsule was why I felt a little too sedated from it (even though ashwagandha worked well with countering that feeling). I recently ran out of that brand and switched to another which contains 250 mg of 45% extract (bacognize) in each capsule. I'm also taking it twice each day. It's a little too early to tell if there's much of a difference between the two brands and doses. Hopefully it will work just as well (or better) since the second brand is about half the cost of the first brand.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
No problem. That was actually information kisaj provided in another thread which I also found to be true through my own use of rhodiola.

I was using a brand of bacopa which contained 225 mg of 50% extract (bacomind) and 275 mg of 20% extract in each capsule. I took that twice each day. That worked really well. However, I began to wonder if similar to rhodiola, the high dose in each capsule was why I felt a little too sedated from it (even though ashwagandha worked well with countering that feeling). I recently ran out of that brand and switched to another which contains 250 mg of 45% extract (bacognize) in each capsule. I'm also taking it twice each day. It's a little too early to tell if there's much of a difference between the two brands and doses. Hopefully it will work just as well (or better) since the second brand is about half the cost of the first brand.

Yeah I have read more about bacopa's dose-dependent effects than any other adaptogen. Apparently the higher you go the more sedative it gets. You could try buying bulk powder or just breaking open the capsules and taking half at a time if you are still too sedated.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The Himalaya brand bacopa was very sedating for me. Even 1/2 a tablet kinda numbed me...which was good at the time due to some gnarly stress. Now I just use bulk powder 20% mixed into some bulk ashwa and it's just right. I've noticed that the bulk bacopa is more energizing. One can also add in Gotu Kola to this mix as it has been a ayurvedic standard for centuries. Gotu adds a little extra focus and anxiety relief.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
The Himalaya brand bacopa was very sedating for me. Even 1/2 a tablet kinda numbed me...which was good at the time due to some gnarly stress. Now I just use bulk powder 20% mixed into some bulk ashwa and it's just right. I've noticed that the bulk bacopa is more energizing. One can also add in Gotu Kola to this mix as it has been a ayurvedic standard for centuries. Gotu adds a little extra focus and anxiety relief.
How much of the bulk 20% powder do you use? I think I have the same stuff.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Probably around 3 grams per day. Haven't weighed it out but it's capped in 00 caps and I take 2-4 per day.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Probably around 3 grams per day. Haven't weighed it out but it's capped in 00 caps and I take 2-4 per day.
Seems like a pretty high dosage. For a 20% extract that's 600 mg of baccosides each day. I wonder why that's more energizing versus something like Himalaya's Bacopa with less than 70 mg of baccosides per tablet. I'm assuming it has something to do with the extraction method, quality of base material, etc. Did you try higher doses of the Himalaya Bacopa to see if it changed from sedating to energizing? I guess it shows how you can't just go by the baccosides content when deciding how much to use of a particular brand.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Seems like a pretty high dosage. For a 20% extract that's 600 mg of baccosides each day. I wonder why that's more energizing versus something like Himalaya's Bacopa with less than 70 mg of baccosides per tablet. I'm assuming it has something to do with the extraction method, quality of base material, etc. Did you try higher doses of the Himalaya Bacopa to see if it changed from sedating to energizing? I guess it shows how you can't just go by the baccosides content when deciding how much to use of a particular brand.
I have taken 2 tabs of Himalaya brand with sedating effects. I really do think it is the extraction method and ratio of actives. Like most herbs, there is probably lots more going on that just bacosides. My bulk powder was pretty cheap, so take that into account. It works for me on both the price and desired effects fronts.

Kamara

Kamara

Awards
In Denmark the shops are not allowed to sell ashwagandha, as the government believes it may hurt the liver and kidneys. Im a bit surprised, as I cannot find any evidence on that?

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
In Denmark the shops are not allowed to sell ashwagandha, as the government believes it may hurt the liver and kidneys. Im a bit surprised, as I cannot find any evidence on that?
A quick google search provides many articles stating just the opposite where the liver and kidneys are concerned.

STAN84

Awards
Guys, Great thread.

I love this herb more than any other botanical/adaptogen I have tried so far. I have been using ashwagandha for last 4 years. I started initially with Himalaya Ashwganadha and felt nice. Then switched to sensoril, since it is clinically shown to reduce stress. However, I never found it do any positive effects on me. Rather, it created bloating in me and I had to discontinue after a couple of weeks. I returned to Himalaya, until I came across Nutrigold ashwagandha last year. Since it was the only other clinically proven ashwagandha besides sensoril, I wanted to give it a try (I have always been inclined to using branded ingredients as they are clinically proven to show the effects).

I believe that KSM-66 is a miraculous supplement for me. I started to feel the effects after 3 weeks of use or so. When I take in the morning, it gives me energy to run a marathon and when I take in the night, puts me to sleep like that of a baby. Nothing had ever worked for me so good as this supplement. This created a lot of inquisitiveness in me and I ended up doing quite a lot of search on ashwagandhas. I think what really sets KSM-66 aside is that it is a full spectrum root extract. Not only traditionally, roots extracts have been recommended, but all the modern clinical studies have used roots. Even the pharmacopeias and regulatory bodies the world over suggest the usage of roots (USP, Britain, India, Canada). The makers claim that they do not use any alcohol for extraction and make the highest potency extract on the market. That might be an another advantage. It is also organic. I recommended this product to my family, and my sister and mother equally love it. I would strongly recommend this product. However, I also believe that it should be taken along with another ingredient called Zembrin for the best effects. There is a product I now take called Zembrin Mood Plus, which combines KSM-66 with Zembrin, and it has been the best so far.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the info, that is interesting to read. I have and still stuck with the NOW brand as I have found it to be the most effective for me, but I am always open to try another. I have read up on the KSM-66 and tried it for a very short time. Maybe need to give it another go.

But I agree, I think ashwagandha (along with bacopa) is one of the most amazing supps available.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Guys, Great thread.

I love this herb more than any other botanical/adaptogen I have tried so far. I have been using ashwagandha for last 4 years. I started initially with Himalaya Ashwganadha and felt nice. Then switched to sensoril, since it is clinically shown to reduce stress. However, I never found it do any positive effects on me. Rather, it created bloating in me and I had to discontinue after a couple of weeks. I returned to Himalaya, until I came across Nutrigold ashwagandha last year. Since it was the only other clinically proven ashwagandha besides sensoril, I wanted to give it a try (I have always been inclined to using branded ingredients as they are clinically proven to show the effects).

I believe that KSM-66 is a miraculous supplement for me. I started to feel the effects after 3 weeks of use or so. When I take in the morning, it gives me energy to run a marathon and when I take in the night, puts me to sleep like that of a baby. Nothing had ever worked for me so good as this supplement. This created a lot of inquisitiveness in me and I ended up doing quite a lot of search on ashwagandhas. I think what really sets KSM-66 aside is that it is a full spectrum root extract. Not only traditionally, roots extracts have been recommended, but all the modern clinical studies have used roots. Even the pharmacopeias and regulatory bodies the world over suggest the usage of roots (USP, Britain, India, Canada). The makers claim that they do not use any alcohol for extraction and make the highest potency extract on the market. That might be an another advantage. It is also organic. I recommended this product to my family, and my sister and mother equally love it. I would strongly recommend this product. However, I also believe that it should be taken along with another ingredient called Zembrin for the best effects. There is a product I now take called Zembrin Mood Plus, which combines KSM-66 with Zembrin, and it has been the best so far.
I was also disappointed with sensoril. I guess that's the thing with adaptogens like ashwagandha, they will affect everyone differently. I love the NOW brand and when I tried sensoril I wenter back to NOW after a few weeks. Sensoril just didn't put me to sleep as well.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Ditto on NOW brand but lately I have been doing well with bulk ashwa and bacopa that I mix and cap with some Theanine.

STAN84

Awards
I think the product that worked best for me is Nutrigold which is a combination of KSM-66 and root powder of ashwagandha. I would suggest that you try this product for sometime. There are a few other brands too which recently came up with this extract. Swanson is one of those.

I just read your other thread where you had mentioned that you do not find KSM-66 in Taiwan. Its unfortunate. May be in that case you can also try an ashwagandha product from a company called "Organic India". I heard that they do some good ashwagandha as well. Not sure even if that is not available in Taiwan. Cheers.

STAN84

Awards
WHat Bacopa brand do you try? I might want to combine it with KSM-66.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take Swanson. They use a 45% concentrate as opposed to the most common 20%.

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
I know I,m derailing a little here, but has anyone tried Lithium Orotate for anxiety/stress relief. I have been taking it for the past 9 days, I,m trying to slowly wean myself off Klonipin. I,m calm, but tired,unmotivated, and no zest for lafe lately. The last three days I have felt happy and a little more energized. Kisaj or anyone else have any experience with this ???

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I haven't because I don't have a need, but it is very interesting. I have been reading up on it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I will admit that even with all the good people report, I am not entirely sure if I feel that people should just be taking it. I don't know enough about it, but that's just my gut right now.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I will admit that even with all the good people report, I am not entirely sure if I feel that people should just be taking it. I don't know enough about it, but that's just my gut right now.
Why do you feel that way?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just because the little I know about it makes me feel that it should be supervised or specifically for bipolar. I don't know man, just my early opinion.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just because the little I know about it makes me feel that it should be supervised or specifically for bipolar. I don't know man, just my early opinion.
Do you feel that way about rhodiola too since it messes with serotonin?