Are Dips The Best?

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
I have always had a chest routine that was basically something like this: Flat Bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Flat Dumbbell Presses, Decline Bench Press or Decline Dumbbell Presses.

Recently I started doing Dips, about 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps, with and without weights and it feels great. My chest has always been a problem area for me. I asked a trainer friend about dips and he said they are probably the best exercise for your chest because they flex your chest in a natural way.

I know some of you guys have never had pec issues and they grow from just farting but what advice would you give a hard gainer?

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have always had a chest routine that was basically something like this: Flat Bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Flat Dumbbell Presses, Decline Bench Press or Decline Dumbbell Presses.

Recently I started doing Dips, about 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps, with and without weights and it feels great. My chest has always been a problem area for me. I asked a trainer friend about dips and he said they are probably the best exercise for your chest because they flex your chest in a natural way.

I know some of you guys have never had pec issues and they grow from just farting but what advice would you give a hard gainer?
Weighted dips are a great chest builder. Also for chest mass I prefer heavy Dumbbells to barbell presses. And don't forget about dumbbell flyes.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Loooooove dips.

SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr

Awards
Dips are a must for me. When I was younger, I only did dips to concentrate on my triceps. Now they are the finisher to my chest workouts. I've noticed some positive gains in my lower pecs.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Weighted Dips and rope tricep extensions super set are the best. Plus a little hemavo2 or high volume for the pump;)

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Definitely do dips!! Full rom though, none of the 3 inch jerky motion some guys I've seen do for sho.. ;)

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree dips are a great chest builder if you bend forward )like you are trying to kiss the front of the bar) while doing them. If you hold a straight up position then it's a great tricep builder.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol! Thank you for the kind words! I love weighted dips - both chest and tricep types!

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Dips are good yeah. For pressing, I actually feel dumbbells in my chest way more than the barbell. However, I'm partial to the barbell so I would never replace it (just me personally).

If you want your chest to grow (or any muscle for that matter), I'd recommend hitting it twice per week. Maybe do pressing movements one day and dips/flys on the other?

Never been a fan of that "hit each body part once per week" thing.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agree dips are a great chest builder if you bend forward )like you are trying to kiss the front of the bar) while doing them. If you hold a straight up position then it's a great tricep builder.
Good to know. Down to parallel on both movements? That is triceps parallel to bar on both?